PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Tsarina9
July 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hey there! So I've basically been a lurker on this forum, and some of the advice and techniques on this here are great! I have brown BSL (I think that means hair that goes down to your bra strap?) 2a or 2b hair (kinda wavy....just a tad) and I'm very fond of it. However, it's always given me plenty of difficulties, and here is the worst one.

It's always frizzy. I'm not sure why. It's relatively straight, medium thickness, with just a SLIGHT wave to it, but hairs are always sticking up a little bit all over the place and it just looks bad. It's shiny and all, but hairs don't stay smooth. I've tried John Frieda's frizz ease to smooth the frizzies, but it doesn't work. So I deal with it in a particular bad way - I'm ashamed to say it but I use a flat iron to smooth those frizzies. HOWEVER, I seriously only use the iron for about a minute or two, because all I'm really doing is smoothing the frizz. I probably bring it through my hair ten times max on just the outside, while using a heat protective spray.

So here's my question. Is this routine all right? Will it significantly damage my hair? Or does anyone have any suggestions about how to get rid of frizz? What should I do?

Thanks. =D

purplebubba
July 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I like to use Aloe Vera gel.
I bought a bottle of Fruit Of The Earth - 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel at Walmart. Its probably going to be either in the skin lotion or sunscreen area.

It doesn't build up like other gels so you can always apply more if you need to and it will wash away when you wash.
On the Walmart site they say a 12 oz bottle is $3.92 and that's a pretty tall bottle.

I'm currently using Kroger brand which may not be as pure as the Fruit of the Earth but its working for my needs.

Edit: Save a small bottle of some sort to carry with you.
Edit: Here's the walmart link showing the Clear bottle
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797
You want the clear one not the green ones or other colors.

Tsarina9
July 25th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hmm, interesting. So that will smooth my frizzies down?

I've tried using it mixed in with my conditioner, but it certainly doesn't have any effect. I assume that I need to use it on dry hair to have the smoothing effect? I've got a bottle of it at home so I could try it right now. =D

purplebubba
July 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hmm, interesting. So that will smooth my frizzies down?

I've tried using it mixed in with my conditioner, but it certainly doesn't have any effect. I assume that I need to use it on dry hair to have the smoothing effect? I've got a bottle of it at home so I could try it right now. =D

When I use mine I'm usually using a squirt about a finger long in my palm and I use it all over to smooth down before I put my hair in a ponytail like this one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/purplebubba/PB1/SleepTail.jpg

I wear it to work like this except that I have a third band right at my neck.
It lasts for quite a while.

You may have a different experience with it based on how damaged your hair is compared to mine.

Its worth a try since its easy to wash out.

Tsarina9
July 25th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks! I'll give that a try. Do you have any idea how to deal with "poofyness" as well? I've been examining my hair and I've got to say that it's pretty poofy.....In a bad way. Hence the volume I suppose....

klcqtee
July 25th, 2010, 02:57 PM
You could try damp bunning, or oiling. If you want your hair straight one day, do a leave in treatment of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) the night before (I leave it in for four hours usually), then wash out as normal. The next day my hair was smooth, soft, and frizz free (but very straight 1a/1b). Lighter oils like coconut oil, put on the hair after washing (either while wet or dry, it takes some experimenting) can also help prevent frizz.

The poof issue is most likely a weight problem. If your hair isn't heavy enough for your curl pattern, it'll be very...voluminous. Some members on here have hair that grows more horizontal than vertical until it reaches BSL. Mine is very poofy between APL and BSL. Damp bunning or braiding seems to be the only solution, other than sleeping on it (which gives mixed results).

Some of our curlier gals (GRU, specifically) also leave full strength regular conditioner in their hair as a leave-in to tame frizz. That may be worth trying as well.

Cheeks1206
July 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
My hair gets especially voluminous when I use a shampoo containing SLS. If you use shampoo, does it contain any sulfates? Also, I've read (and since learned from first hand experience!) that hair that is properly moisturized isn't frizzy. The first few days after deep treatments my hair is nice and sleek with very smooth curls. I suggest starting with the SMT. If your hair can tolerate it, try switching the conditioner out with oils. My hair likes it with oils far better than it does with conditioner.

Cheeks1206
July 25th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Some of our curlier gals (GRU, specifically) also leave full strength regular conditioner in their hair as a leave-in to tame frizz. That may be worth trying as well.

I second this, as well! I generally use a small squirt of condish and run it through my hair before I apply my products. Definitely helps with the moisture/frizz level

TrudieCat
July 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I third the regular conditioner as a leave-in recommendation. This made a world of difference for me. Also, brushing dry hair is typically a major culprit for wavies/curlies with poof issues.

As a recovering flat iron over-user, I found I had to learn to accept a few frizzies here and there. The flat iron will get rid of them all. Air drying doesn't get rid of every one for me, though they are much improved since I've drastically reduced my heat styling.

Juanita
July 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Also you could try just combing instead of using a brush along with all the other great advise.

Capybara
July 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I think that the flat ironing could actually be leading to more frizz, if it is causing damage over time. The aloe vera gel is a good idea : ) There is also the possibility that the frizz is really just curls hiding in your hair. You never know ...
Have you considered trying CO washing, giving the curly girl method a try?

Welcome to LHC! :flower: