PDA

View Full Version : A Tip on asking for a certain shaped hemline or length - Draw it

purplebubba
July 25th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Since its hard to find pictures of hemlines to show a stylist I advise trying to draw them.

In my case I used my computer to illustrate them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/purplebubba/Stuff/hems.gif

Feel free to print these out. Or take a picture of your own hair like we post here and draw on it. Make several copies and draw what you do mean and what you don't. That way you can point to the picture and show where you want the U to start or layers to start etc.

This is from an old thread I did on another forum so it kinda repeats what I just said

"I said shoulder length and it's cut too short"

I often see this posted so I thought I would post my thoughts on this as if someone was really posting this.

Over the years I have watched many makeover shows and looked at many hairstyle magazines. Many stylists seem to think that shoulder length means that some of the hair is going to be near the shoulders.

You might be asking for the picture with the longest length

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/purplebubba/Stuff/ShoulderLength.gif

but the stylist might assume you mean the first one or the middle one. Therefore you need to be very specific about where you want your hair to reach. If you have to point to a spot on your body then do it.

Also be very clear as to which sections of your hair you want to stay at your version of shoulder length. Many stylists like to layer hair. If you ask for layers make sure you understand that they may want to layer all of your hair and not just the front. Be specific if you just want a few pieces cut.

Think of it this way. Make sure that you can explain it to anyone before you try explaining it to the stylist. If you need to write down your words on a notebook and take that with you then do it. It's a lot easier to read your words than to try to remember what you meant to say.

Adding on to what I said about the makeover shows
I see many stylists say they will keep the length at a certain spot and they start out by cutting to that point to remove the bulk but then they chop away and in the end there might be just a bit of hair actually reaching that point or just above it. Especially if they cut it wet and your hair shrinks. So make sure they understand that you want your hair to reach a certain point while dry or have them cut it that way. And if you have to ask to stand up so they can draw the hem with the scissors. Its probably harder to get with the chair back in the way.

share801
July 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thats a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

JenniferNoel
July 25th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Awesome idea/example, thanks! I'm going to print these out and give them to those in need. :D

serious
July 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Awesome idea!

When I used to visit a hairstylist ( before LHC ), I always tried to find some photos of what I wanted and that was pretty hard to find. It never occurred to me that I could just draw the style and the length I wanted! ( And, of course, I always ended up with a disaster on my head! )

Thanks for sharing :)

FrannyG
July 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Those illustrations are a great idea, PurpleBubba. I totally agree with what you say, and this is a wonderful help. Thank you. :)

Alaia
July 25th, 2010, 03:10 PM
That's great advice!

Hopefully it will stop some of the hair woes in the future ;)

Sammich
July 25th, 2010, 03:51 PM
You're awesome! Thanks for the tips! I always do this sort of stuff so I don't get disappointed in the results. :p

TrudieCat
July 27th, 2010, 09:47 AM
This is really excellent! Thank you! :) I think it was very wise of you to mention that hairstylists might leave only the longest layer at the length specified. I have lost a lot of length in the past to thinning and "removing bulk." There might be a few tufts of hair where I asked the cut to end, but most of the layers will be significantly shorter and make the whole hair cut look much shorter as a result.

LouLaLa
July 27th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Fab idea!

My mum will love this, her hairdresser always bullies her into what she wants and my mum is too polite to complain and usually is sad when she gets home, this may help her be more assertive.

Thankyou! :blossom:

Smile4Kiki
July 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
This is an excellent idea. Thanks!

purplebubba
June 17th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Bumping up my old article. :)

Sharysa
June 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
This is really informative, Purplebubba--thanks for bumping it!

purplebubba
June 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks Sharysa, nice to meet you :)

jacqueline101
June 17th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I like this idea.

purplebubba
June 17th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I like this idea.

Yup, its better than nothing :)