PDA

View Full Version : Question about excessive shedding

Ashley0507
July 25th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Hello everyone :)

I have been lurking for a little while, but I have a question (I tried searching for an answer, but MSM is too short). I started taking Biotin about a week ago and saw an instant improvement in my shedding. I have 3b/f/i hair that is at my shoulders when wet and my chin when dry. I CO every other day and condition my length daily. I went from having my hands/back covered in shed hair in the shower to 3-5 hairs each day this past week. I started taking MSM yesterday and was covered in shed hairs today. Is this normal when first starting MSM or was last week just a fluke? My hair is so thin, I'm to the point that I feel like I can't stand to lose any more hair.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Thank you,
Ashley

akrasia
July 25th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hi Ashley,

I think if you had that drastic a reaction to MSM you had better not take it anymore. I would just stick to the biotin, and vitamins, and healthy food in general. Also a gentle scalp massage is supposed to help promote growth--who knows whether it works but it doesn't hurt!

motormuffin
July 25th, 2010, 01:13 PM
My hair shed a ton when I started MSM. Maybe lower your dose. I kept with it and took more gradually. I love MSM and think it's worth taking. My hair and nails grew faster and my skin got softer. It can take a couple weeks to mellow out.

Ashley0507
July 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks. I am going to lower the dose and see how it goes.

klcqtee
July 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM
You may also look into monistat, as that's supposed to promote hair growth, and I believe some members have had success filling in thin spots in their hair with it.

Ashley0507
July 25th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I saw that thread. I will go read it, thanks :)

Ashley0507
July 26th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Well, I ended up taking the same dose of MSM again yesterday and only shed 5 hairs in the shower this AM :) Thanks again for helping me out.

ptnicole
July 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM
WOW...I woke up this morning so needing to get to LHC to get some answers on my shedding. Your post hit the spot. I've been shedding so much recently that my layered hair is feeling very very very very very very icky thin....:(. Yesterday in the shower was horrible. Anways....I doubled my daily MSM intake about 2 weeks ago! I am going to cut back immediately. Nothing else in my diet/life/environment/hair routine has changed except that!

So glad I saw this thread...THANK YOU!