PDA

View Full Version : Need trim opinions please....

Ravenwaves 88
July 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I've never gone more than 6 months without a trim, but I'm having a hard time with wanting to trim it this time. I just made it to waist and I don't want it to go back to almost waist. My ends are kinda crunchy but they don't have many splits at all. I may try for a year without this time just so I don't loose waist length.

Is that silly? :o

Has anyone else ever gone through this and did you end up waiting for that extra length?

Thanks in advance.

spidermom
July 24th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Although I have trimmed as often as every 6-8 weeks, I went for a year without trimming July 2008 -- July 2009. Unfortunately, I had a lot of damage by then and spent the next 6 months maintaining at hip/tailbone with lots of trims. I had my last trim in January and am trying to hold off on any more cutting until I reach classic length. My hair is SO close to the length that I've wanted ever since grade school. I've been S&Ding, and my ends are in pretty good shape, so I hope I make it to goal length before cutting it. Good luck to you and to me.

PineappleJello
July 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I right in the middle of waist and hip when I took two inches off this month. It's kind of made me feel like my hair is BSL (mind you my bra strap is quite thick so it does make it seem worse than it is). In one way I'm happy I trimmed because my ends look and feel great, but at the same time it feels so short.

So all in all I'd still take my 2 inches off again just because then I won't be at hip crying about how I feel like it's at my armpits over the 2 inches :P

countryhopper
July 25th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Could your crunchy ends be from product build up? maybe try clarifying and see if they improve?

Feye's self trim method is great if you want to just take off a tiny amount and not worry about an overzealous hairdresser with scissors in her hand.

marikamt
July 25th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I am sorta going thru the same thing... no advice, but I can commiserate.... my ends feel fine, but I hate my hemline.... but I don't want to trim because then I wouldn't be waist anymore, but I kind of want to even out my hemline...... so I don't know what to do.......

Ravenwaves 88
July 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Could your crunchy ends be from product build up? maybe try clarifying and see if they improve?

Feye's self trim method is great if you want to just take off a tiny amount and not worry about an overzealous hairdresser with scissors in her hand.

I haven't been to a salon in years. I always do self trim but I'm still having a hard time thinking about doing that. I don't use any products in my hair. I just use oils and Mane'n'tail poo/dish.

I am sorta going thru the same thing... no advice, but I can commiserate.... my ends feel fine, but I hate my hemline.... but I don't want to trim because then I wouldn't be waist anymore, but I kind of want to even out my hemline...... so I don't know what to do....... I'm on the same boat about hemline too. I say we wait it out together! I think I'm going to try and hold out until Jan or Feb.

marikamt
July 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I am with you!

I am going to see my mom at the end of summer for the first time in a while (we live far away from each other)..... I know she will say something about my hemline :( and that was making me feel pressured to trim........

I have to get past that....... I don't want to lose the 2-3 inches at this time, where as if I wait for the end of the year with you, if I trim 2 inches, I will still feel 'long' and still be at least at waist.

1nuitblanche
July 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Why does it have to be either now or in 6 months? Maybe you could just wait an extra month or maybe 2 and then trim, especially since you self-trim? This way, once it's a little bit past waist and you trim 1/2" or however much, you might be able to still be at waist - if you micro trim, there will be even less of a difference.

GoddesJourney
July 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
S&D saved me from a lot of trims. However, if you do find that it starts to break off, a little trim might help you out. My hair grows (meaning gets longer) faster when I trim off damage because it keeps it from breaking off before it gets to my goal. I would rather trim 1/4 inch and have it grow than not trim and have 1 inch break off and then continue to break off.

Phexlyn
July 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'm in the same boat - my hair is classic (finally!), but the ends and lower lengths are in really bad shape. I don't want to loose length although I know that individual hairs will probably break off soon :(

My suggestion is that you maybe maintain at waist for a couple of months until you are happier with you hemline again? Just to make sure you get rid of the crunchiness.

akrasia
July 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM
My suggestion is that you maybe maintain at waist for a couple of months until you are happier with you hemline again? Just to make sure you get rid of the crunchiness.

Yeah, that's what I'd do too.

Jezerellica
July 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Oh boy. I totally understand what you are saying! I just did a small self trim(my first!) and I think a little more should come off for quality ends. I hate cutting my hair!! It is still between hip and waist and I have so much fun waiting for it to hit that hip!!

Soooo I have no answers, but understand the feeling. Reading spidermoms post makes me think I should take more off. Damage just isn't pretty on me. Good luck!!

Autumnberry
July 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM
S&D saved me from a lot of trims. However, if you do find that it starts to break off, a little trim might help you out. My hair grows (meaning gets longer) faster when I trim off damage because it keeps it from breaking off before it gets to my goal. I would rather trim 1/4 inch and have it grow than not trim and have 1 inch break off and then continue to break off.

This is exactly what has happened to me over the past year. I thought somehow that my hair might be a bit ragged but would gain length anyway. Only 2 inches were trimmed off in a year, but I have not gained any length. That's extreme breakage. I have learned my lesson about trims.