PDA

View Full Version : pulling hair to see if it's 'real'

Speckla
July 24th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Happened to me yesterday. I saw a lady I hadn't seen in over 2 years. She grabbed a handful and yanked it. She said, "I just wanted to see if it's real or a wig. The last time I saw you, your hair was here (point to shoulders)." I reached out and grabbed a hunk of her hair and pulled it. I said, "Hurts, huh?" I normally wouldn't lay a finger on someone but enough is enough. I've endured years of this.

StormVixen
July 24th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I would have liked to have seen her reaction to your reaction, I bet she wont be doing that again!

I dont get people wig testing me but they do have a habit of boinging my curls... meh...

Rennire
July 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Good for you!
I hate this too! I haven't had the nerve yet to touch someone else's hair when they touch mine! Someday...

Jenna0728
July 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I reached out and grabbed a hunk of her hair and pulled it.

HA! Serves her right. I've had people do that to me in the past, too. It's not fun at all.

Sammich
July 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Oh wow! How was her reaction? LOL! That's amazing, I wish I saw. :p Go you! :cheese:

Touching nicely is fine, pulling is UGHH!

lapushka
July 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM
She just wanted to see if it was a wig? :roll:

It's bad enough that there are people who are having to wear wigs for health reasons. So if it was a wig and it came off because of her, then what would she have done? Laughed at you? I mean, what kind of lame, pathetic, excuse is wanting to check out if it's a wig or not! Who goes around pulling people's hair like that, I just don't get it. Happened to me twice, and both times in places with a lot of people around.

If I suspect someone's wearing a wig, I would keep my hands to myself even *more*.

GoddesJourney
July 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I would've laughed so hard!:misskim: She must have felt pretty stupid and offended. I hope she got the point.

Alvrodul
July 24th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Happened to me yesterday. I saw a lady I hadn't seen in over 2 years. She grabbed a handful and yanked it. She said, "I just wanted to see if it's real or a wig. The last time I saw you, your hair was here (point to shoulders)." I reached out and grabbed a hunk of her hair and pulled it. I said, "Hurts, huh?" I normally wouldn't lay a finger on someone but enough is enough. I've endured years of this.
Serves her right! :applause
Nobody touches my hair without my express permission! :patrol: :guns:

lapushka
July 24th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Speckla, did she at least apologize? I'm still waiting on mine. :undecided :roll:

Speckla
July 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Speckla, did she at least apologize? I'm still waiting on mine. :undecided :roll:

Nope, she did not. She didn't even see why I was upset. She couldn't believe it was so much longer in such a short time period and acted like she paid me a compliment.

Carolyn
July 24th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Good for you and well done! She didn't think she did anything wrong??? WTF is the matter with some people? Stay away from that cretin in the future. I hope you pulled her hair really hard.

squiggyflop
July 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
hmmm i dont know if i would have stopped at pulling the hair.. i tend to get quite aggressive if someone hurts me.. aggressive and bitey and very very loud..

ErinM
July 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Unreal! People's idea of invading personal space being okay really amazes me. I've never had anyone pull on my hair before, but people have reached out and touched or stroked my hair because it's smooth and shiny. Even that bothers me.

It also reminds me of when I was pregnant with my first daughter. I was huge, miserable and rather irritable. I'd had enough of people thinking my belly was a free-for-all touch-fest. When the next person reached out and patted/rubbed my belly, I reached out and patted/rubbed theirs back! Do people not think? Sorry.. didn't mean to hijack.

Just the whole idea of personal space invasion sets me off!

Darkhorse1
July 24th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Good for you!! How utterly rude of her to pull your hair out. I mean, would you tug on someone's arm or leg to 'see if it's real'??? NO! So, why do people feel hair is different.

Glad you got her to see how rude she was.

I'm very lucky that people have never done this to me, and those who have only dipped their hands into my hair to sing praises or offer to braid it--people I knew. That I don't mind.

LunarAurora
July 25th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Omg how can someone be so rude ?
What would have happened if your hair was "fake" indeed ? She would have it in her hands ? lol I visualize the scene...

Buddaphlyy
July 25th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Nope, she did not. She didn't even see why I was upset. She couldn't believe it was so much longer in such a short time period and acted like she paid me a compliment.

Excellent reaction to her invasion of your space. I would have done the exact same thing.

BTW, what is the length and condition of her hair? The reason I ask is because in my experience, a lot of people who wave/wig check have hair that is nowhere near as nice as the people they are trying to check. And they often do it out of jealously.

GoddesJourney
July 25th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I think it would be awfully rude of her even if it was fake. How embarassing if it came off in her hand. She was probably trying to embarass you. Instead, she was wrong and you were mad and for some reason, she got offended. What a moron.

redkdawg
July 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Good to hear that you pulled her hair to show how rude that is.

I generally wear my hair in a braid. I have had several people come up & pull on it. I generally tell them that my head will not ring no matter how many times they do that. ;)

christine1989
July 25th, 2010, 07:04 PM
If someone pulled a tiny peice of my hair in a joking sort of way I would not mind but yanking a huge section of it is just plain rude. Good for you for teaching her a lesson she won't soon forget! :)

renarok
July 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I hope you don't see her again for another two years.

Juneii
July 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Good for you! I'm glad you didn't just shrink away. I don't see why people feel that they could just reach over and grab your hair like that, there is this thing called asking and it's much less painful.

I had it happen to me many times, girls would just stick their dirty hands in my hair and either play with it or pull on it to see if it was real :/ it happened to me about a few months ago where I had my hair down in low pigtails and a friend of mine just reached over and pulled at the root to see if they were clip-ins. I didn't bother asking her what she was doing since I knew and she didn't bother to explain herself either. She immediately pulled her hand away though and commented on how pretty my hair was. :shrug: I still don't know how I feel about that occurrence since she still is a good friend of mine who didn't mean anything malicious.
I do hate it when complete strangers come up to you and pull your hair - what if it was a wig and it came off? How are you going to explain the awkwardness that ensues?

tanya222
July 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM

:agape: "grabbed a handful and yanked it"????!!!!!!

Good for you for showing her how that felt! I guess I'm really lucky this hasn't happened yet to me, I put my hair up to go anywhere, I'm paranoid of this happening to me, cuz I honestly don't know what I'd do if someone invaded my space like that :mad::draw::whip:

Besides, even if it was a wig, what would she have done if it came off in her hand? My mom went through chemo and wore a wig, and knowing my mom if anyone had the gall to pull her wig off she'd probably have done something that would get you arrested in any other circumstances :patrol:

missfortune9335
July 25th, 2010, 07:23 PM
That has never happened to me, but you do hear about it on here once in a while, and I always wonder what the person doing the pulling is thinking. Seriously, if it *were* a wig would it be okay that you yanked at it and possibly pulled it off the other person's head causing them massive embarassment??

Quezie
July 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Back when I had pink and purple hair, people were always touching it to see if it was a wig.

I get that with my nails a lot too, because they're long, people want to touch them to be convinced that they're real.

Peter
July 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM
That's her way of figuring out if you were wearing a wig or not? How ridiculous. Some people!

Anje
July 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Oh, that's awful...

You'll have to pull harder next time.

boomtownrat
July 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I could only hope that I would have the presence of mind to pull their hair in return instead of smacking them reflexively. :p

Dreams_in_Pink
July 26th, 2010, 02:00 AM

Oh my God, i don't want to believe this has happened! Even if it's a wig, why would people want to reveal whatever that person's hiding underneath? They can be cancer patients or might be suffering from severe alopecia! It's extremely rude to pull one's hair - wig or not! It's nobody's business to test if it's real or not. People should really grow up :rolleyes:

Heavenly Locks
July 26th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Some people just don't see hair as a BODY PART. Would you honk someone's boob to see if it's real!?

:bigeyes:

Sheesh. How rude!!

kikuko
July 26th, 2010, 03:07 AM
A couple weeks ago I was taking summer classes and one of my professors was getting old and senile. During the final there was a girl sitting next to me with her hair in a ponytail. He grabbed some of it and pulled it and said that whenever he saw a ponytail he just had to yank it. Then he looked over at me and said he couldn't do it to me because my hair was it a bun!

freckles
July 26th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Some people just don't see hair as a BODY PART. Would you honk someone's boob to see if it's real!?

IME, yes, some people will. :mad:

I agree with everyone else who says even if it is a wig this is incredibly rude. People are entitled to wear wigs, or rock their natural hair, without anyone else being entitled to 'find out' which it is -- especially in such a physically invasive way. Glad you stood up for yourself.

frizzinator
July 26th, 2010, 03:27 AM
This never happens to me because I wear my hair up everyday. Nobody knows I have long hair, unless they look at my driver's license, and then they ask what happened to my hair.

Dolly
July 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I don't blame you for pulling hers....I don't think I would have been able to exercise that much restraint.....I probably would have punched her....gut reaction.....people who touch me....ANY PART of my body without asking get a response from me that is just as disrespectful....unwanted touching of any kind is battery, and I make it a point that they DON'T do that again.

I have had strangers tell me that my hair looks like silk, and ask POLITELY if they can touch it, and I don't mind that. I will usually allow them to, because for one thing, it usually opens a discussion of better hair care methods, and I point them to our little community here!

OtiggerificO
July 26th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I'm actually quite glad mine isn't really at a length that people would want to pull to check.
I just people 'boinging' my curls, all the time! And constantly asking if they can straighten it to see how long it is.

GRU
July 26th, 2010, 06:31 AM

If the hair-yanking ever happens to me like this, I am *so* doing the boob (or crotch, for guys) grab!

I'm more likely to get little old ladies coming up, taking a tress in their hand and lifting it gently with wonder in their eyes, exclaiming over the curl and color (I was a strawberry blonde even before henna). While I don't normally go for strangers touching me out of the blue, I am able to see events like that as the compliment they are intended to be, with no malicious intent whatsoever.

But yanking to see if someone's hair is real or not? Totally uncalled-for!!!

Cyetra
July 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Ugh, had this happen a few times...and the only time it was a young one- she asked! Funny how a like 6 year old girl could think to do that...but the grown women don't. She didn't want to yank either, just touch.

lapushka
July 26th, 2010, 06:51 AM
You'll have to pull harder next time.

Definitely! :thumbsup:

:bigeyes:

Sheesh. How rude!!

There are people who do that too! :mad: In my case, one of the people who pulled my hair did that to me too. At one point in my life, I had lost a lot of weight, which I regained after a number of years. This person only met me (I don't even really know this person) when I was at my lowest weight and could not believe that my boobs had grown by themselves when I had gained weight (this was a man!). So he needed to see if they were real, I guess. How crazy *is* that? Goes to show that sometimes it's not just about hair, that there are other factors figuring into it.

Centaur
July 26th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Only grown women have had the audacity to ask if my bosom is real. "They're real, and they're fabulous," was the answer (taken from a Seinfeld episode). There is not much one of these rude women can say in response to that! LOL

TammySue
July 26th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Several years ago a lady in a drugstore pulled on my hair and asked if it was real. :rolleyes:

slythwolf
July 26th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I have never had this happen, thank god. I go off on people already when they come up and "pet" my hair. If I don't know you, you should not be touching me. Yes, my hair counts as "me". If I do know you, and am not related to you by blood or marriage, you should probably ask first. Although there are friends who affectionately tug on my braid and that doesn't bother me. It doesn't seem to hurt if it's all or most of the hair at once, does it?

heidihug
July 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Nobody knows I have long hair, unless they look at my driver's license, and then they ask what happened to my hair.
Oh, yes, frizzinator, I've had people see pics of me with hair down and then get all wide-eyed and asked me why I cut it. Heh. And what do you think this pile of hair is all coiled up on my head, you idiot? [I say to myself]

Anyone other than a little child who tugs my hair gets smacked - even my FIL one time a couple of years ago; I didn't smack him hard, just got him on the arm. I told him that behavior was unacceptable (but he acts unacceptably in most social situations, so that was nothing new).

spidermom
July 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
People in other places are so weird! I can't even imagine somebody doing that around here.

akrasia
July 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Wow that's amazingly rude. Jaw-droppingly rude!

I had a guy do that at a conference once. I think he was trying to flirt with me, we'd had a little conversation during a coffee break but I decided he was weird. Then as we took our seats again I felt someone pulling gently at my braid. I turned around and saw it was him. Gave him a WTF look and changed seats. Creep.

ArienEllariel
July 26th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Wow! That is totally uncalled for. I would never do that. How horrible. :(

kabelaced
July 26th, 2010, 02:36 PM
This almost seems to me like someone fondling a woman to make sure her breasts were "real." I would have been pretty mad, too!

Pulling hair is so childish!

Sarahmoon
July 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM
:eek: Imagine it would have been a wig! That's so rude!
I like how you responded but next time grab a piece of her face to see if it's real.

Artenystea
July 29th, 2010, 12:32 AM
How awful. DBF just compared it to going up to someone with a beautiful complexion and scratching them, just to be malicious. That's really the only reason someone would yank on someone else's hair - to be catty. :(

Synthemesc
July 29th, 2010, 12:38 AM
It amuses me that after folk have asked if my hair is real (got it more than often with pink hair :S), they have to pull it just to make sure you're telling the truth. If their hair is long enough they get it right back, if not, just a stern talking to :P

VenusHalley
July 29th, 2010, 01:29 AM
what is wrong with some people?

ColoradoDreamer
July 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Anyone who pulls my hair to see if it's a wig will get slapped. Hard.

ChloeDharma
July 30th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I've not made my way through all the replies but well done for not taking it like too many people probably would have done.

Maybe an idea would be to grab these peoples breasts, give them a good squeeze and then say "oh it's ok, i'm doing it to see if they are real or not"

MonaMayfair
July 30th, 2010, 06:37 AM
That's disgustingly rude! I hate bad manners more than anything and they go hand in hand with selfishness and total lack of respect for other people.
It actually depresses me a lot. I live in London (hoping to move later this year) and there are SO many anti social people here, it's horrible.
Whether it's an acquaintance like that woman or a stranger, why in Heaven's name can't people just be polite!!

On the original subject! When my hair was longer (I'm growing it out again now) it was usually older women who'd stroke it without being invited and say "don't ever cut it, will you?"
I should have listened, as I bitterly regret getting it cut into a bob last year - still we live and learn!
I don't really like anyone at all touching my hair, but at least if they're being nice it's not so bad!

Purdy Bear
July 30th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Iv had this done to me. I was on a bus coming home from work (a 1 hour bus ride), when this guy leaned over from the seat behind me and yanked my hair really hard. When I turned round he just said "Oh I wanted to see if it was a wig or not!" Even when I said it wasnt he didnt believe me.

Anyhow it turned out he had been for an interview at the place I worked and I saw him a few weeks later, he still thought it was a wig, so I turned up my head and showed him half a head of Alopecian hair loss. He then thought the rest were extensions, even his boss (who had known me for years) couldnt convince him otherwise.

I think he must have been a penny short of a pound!

VitaR86
July 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM
OMFG, I get this all the time with my nails! I get random people grab my hands and turn them over to see "if they are real". And once I got a little kid try to bend my nail flat and said "Does that hurt?" I yanked his finger and bent it back and said "Does that?" You don't Fuuuu.... with my nails. :steam

BTW, the kid in question happened to be a family friend's brat. He is notoriously known as an evil child. Which is why when he went crying to mommy all she said was "That's your own fault, you know better and if it were me I would have done the same"

MonaMayfair
July 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM
OMFG, I get this all the time with my nails! I get random people grab my hands and turn them over to see "if they are real". And once I got a little kid try to bend my nail flat and said "Does that hurt?" I yanked his finger and bent it back and said "Does that?" You don't Fuuuu.... with my nails. :steam

BTW, the kid in question happened to be a family friend's brat. He is notoriously known as an evil child. Which is why when he went crying to mommy all she said was "That's your own fault, you now better and if it were me I would have done the same"

I love that! I wish more parents would tell their children off when they behave badly, instead of letting them do as they like, and annoying other people!

longblondetan
July 30th, 2010, 09:23 AM
LOL that is amazing. cudos for giving her a taste of her own medicine.

VanillaTresses
July 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Wow, that is just so inappropriate! :bigeyes:

Back_To_Basics
July 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I know how you feel. I also agree serves her right http://www.all4gsds.com/bb/images/smiles/knockout.gif.
People should have a little more respect. Even if it was
fake, why do people need to do that to someone.
I would have loved to seen her face as well http://www.all4gsds.com/bb/images/smiles/chuckle.gif.
Hopefully that taught her a lesson so she will know better next time.

deko
July 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
This is the reason that I HATE fake hair and extensions. Because fake hair is easy to get people think that real long(ish) hair must be fake. I think it's really rude.

If someone strange touches me or my hair I slap. Hard. Nobody has right to touch me without permission.

Centaur
July 30th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Anyone who pulls my hair to see if it's a wig will get slapped. Hard.

That sounds like a good plan to me.

nellreno
July 31st, 2010, 08:55 AM
Wow. Really, I hope she never does that to someone who does wear a wig. That's just cruel.

People like her and the people who touch pregnant women's bellies are hypocrites. They have no problems about touching someone without permission but if someone did it to them they'd be horrified.