PDA

View Full Version : Festival Hair

OtiggerificO
July 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hey,

I'm off to Sonisphere, a metal festival, next week. I'll be away from showers and baths for about a week and I'd love some advice about what to do with my hair.

I usually put my hair into little braids with lots of ribbons and braided thread through it, http://twitpic.com/28bs3c, like that. However last year by the end of the week my ends were so dry and frizzy and the thread had almost melded to my hair after being rained on, when I finally took the braids out my hair stuck a clear foot out from my head, I looked like Crystal Tips :P

Could I use a conditioner on the ends for the week or will that cause build-up? I don't really want to leave it down the entire time 'cause my roots will look gross after a couple of days so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

shyone
July 24th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I would bring a large bottle of water and a jug solely for hair washing.A friend to pour would be an asset too.On a school trip without access to showers I stuck my hair under an outside tap and it helped, of course a school mate to this day still has an awful photo of me washing my hair under the tap.. ;P

tinti
July 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I remember I had the same problem the only time I went to a festival. But I just put a caps on my head to cover up my roots, or a headband, and bunned it.

pepperminttea
July 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hello! :)

Could you take a wee bit of oil (or something that your hair likes) with you and apply some to the ends each day? Or would bigger braids be easier to detangle - maybe two French braids? Wider ribbon would probably be easier to take out too, rather than wool and things.

Fiferstone
July 24th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'd slather it in coconut oil, braid it in as many braids as I could manage, and head-bang away. Your hair will get a deep-oil treatment and the first thing you do when you have access to a shower again is scrub down. Enjoy the festival :rockerdud:

rhosyn_du
July 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM
What kind of environment is this festival in? My experience from various festivals is that hair care depends really heavily on the environment. If there's going to be a lot of wind or dust, keeping it covered really helps. If there's dust, you probably want to avoid heavy oiling (the oil and dust can mix to form a nasty, glue-like consistency), but if there isn't, heavy oiling and braids is a really good style.

As far as your question about conditioner on the ends goes, that shouldn't cause a problem.

OtiggerificO
July 26th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Hello! :)

Could you take a wee bit of oil (or something that your hair likes) with you and apply some to the ends each day? Or would bigger braids be easier to detangle - maybe two French braids? Wider ribbon would probably be easier to take out too, rather than wool and things.

Hey :waving:
I don't really know what my hair likes yet, I know larger braids would probably be easier but I would prefer little braids to headbang in. Ribbon as opposed to wool sounds like a good idea though, it was a bit of a bugger to take out last time :P

I'd slather it in coconut oil, braid it in as many braids as I could manage, and head-bang away. Your hair will get a deep-oil treatment and the first thing you do when you have access to a shower again is scrub down. Enjoy the festival :rockerdud:

That sounds like a really good idea actually, I was thinking about trying coconut oil as one of my first experiments. Cheers, I will :rockerdud

What kind of environment is this festival in? My experience from various festivals is that hair care depends really heavily on the environment. If there's going to be a lot of wind or dust, keeping it covered really helps. If there's dust, you probably want to avoid heavy oiling (the oil and dust can mix to form a nasty, glue-like consistency), but if there isn't, heavy oiling and braids is a really good style.

As far as your question about conditioner on the ends goes, that shouldn't cause a problem.

It's in England, so damp and a bit windy is most likely, mud more that dust.

Excellent, heavy oiling and braids seems to be a winner. Thank you very much guys!

heynormy
July 26th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I would also suggest oiling your hair and then doing your braids! Have fun at the festival!!