PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a fan of the sock bun

ldc441
July 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have tried the sock bun many times but I just can't get the curls that it's supposed to make.how do you do it

jasper
July 24th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I get nice curls with a sock bun, but I am not a big fan of wearing the bun. I usually would only wear it at home or on a rare occasion when I want a big fancy do. You might want to check Loepsie's videos

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?client=mv-google&xl=xl_blazer&v=3FV-YO46E8Y

eta: the first video where she shows the "sock bun secret" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM&feature=youtube_gdata known here as a fully rolled sock bun.

triumphator!
July 24th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Not sure what you mean by 'curls it is supposed to make,' but I am a fan of the sock bun. I like it because it makes my hair look like a big, perfect donut on the back of my head, which is great because my hair is only a couple inches past shoulder length now.

Perhaps you meant the rag bun? I wasn't aware the sock buns were used to make curls...

UltraBella
July 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Alot of people use the sock bun to create curls, but it doesn't work for everyone. It seems like the majority of people with straight hair get nice curls and those who have wavy hair like I do end up with no curls.
I like wearing a sock bun because it is enormous, but when I take it out my hair is much straighter. I just think it is totally dependent on your hair type.

Lassie
July 24th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Can someone point me in to how to curl with a sock bun?
A normal sock bun doesnt create curls for me - or am i doing it wrong?
(i pull pony tail through sock to bas e of head, spread hair over sock, secure with another elastic)

jasper
July 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Can someone point me in to how to curl with a sock bun?
A normal sock bun doesnt create curls for me - or am i doing it wrong?
(i pull pony tail through sock to bas e of head, spread hair over sock, secure with another elastic)

No, I don't think you get the curls with that type of sock bun. Do a search for "fully rolled sock bun" or check out Loepsie's video that I linked above.

spidermom
July 24th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I am so not a fan of the sock bun. It looks like the pull knob of an old cabinet door to me.

eezepeeze
July 24th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I am a fan of the sock bun, especially on days when I oil, but I don't get curls from it. It actually straightens out my kinky curls somewhat. I like it because it's a little different and holds really well.

Lassie
July 24th, 2010, 07:40 PM
so i have checked out this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=3FV-YO46E8Y&feature=channel
but im not too sure how she does the rolling? her sock bun video is the non rolled sock bun....

Capybara
July 24th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I like the sock bun - it looks like a ballerina bun to me - but I've never been able to do the fully rolled sock bun on myself, so I don't have much luck curling my hair with this method either :p Rag curls and snake waves work really well for me, though.

christine1989
July 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM
It will only work if you do the bun while damp or wet then let it dry completely.

Nicoliee
January 15th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I have no idea how to even do a sock bun.

Finoriel
January 15th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Nicoliee, check out the youtube links in this thread or our do' of the month or article section when you'd like to learn it.

I'm not really a fan-fan of it, but I enjoy wearing it every once in a while.
Though I never got curls of the sock bun. Or :p any bun, for that matter. :wink: Hairtype related, it just doesn't hold any curl.
And it's likely way too long to try the fully-rolled version anyways... I'm a bit scared of that version and didn't try it yet :lol:

Lianna
January 15th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I'm a big fan of the sock bun. Looks fine and allowed me to bun at chin/shoulder layered mess!! I can see how it can be very underestimated, if one has longer hair. I don't care if people think it's a "fake bun", it's much better than a pony or a messy twisty (peacock?) bun on me. It's great for those who don't have many options. I could sock bun before I could loop bun (avatar). I don't get nice waves out of it yet, just a looped bun gives me better waves at this length.

QMacrocarpa
January 15th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I wore my giant (non-rolled) sock bun yesterday (I call it the "bundt") and when I took it out before bed I noticed how straight my hair was, so put me in the column of folks on whom a sock bun produces an effect more like crown wrapping than waves. I agree the sock bun can be like a big ol' doorknob on the back of my head, but I still enjoy it-- knowing how much hair I actually have, and the wacky size of my sock bun, well, it's just a constant source of quiet amusement to me. Sort of like dyeing my hair purple just for the day.

Kherome
January 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I watched the vid, and I like the look her version of the sock bun makes...but, wouldn't that be damaging to the hair? All that rolling and hair rubbing itself and the sock, not to mention unrolling without breaking hair etc?

luxepiggy
January 15th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I mostly use the sockbun for sockbun curls. It's a little too sleek to really go with my day-to-day style, but it's a good look for business meetings, and I've had fun with some variations for black tie events (^(oo)^)v

Here's one I did for last season's SF Symphony Gala . . . an off-centered sock bun at the nape, secured it with 2 hairsticks:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=83841

Other side:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=83840

ETA - and here are the curlies!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=86932

Tressie
January 15th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I am so not a fan of the sock bun. It looks like the pull knob of an old cabinet door to me.

Thanks for the laugh spidy!! Whew!:rollin:

Sorry for the hijack!

IvySchex
January 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I love the sock bun for keeping my hair up at night. I don't like how it looks, so I don't wear it during the day!

I do use Loepsie's technique. I tried getting the curls once and it kinda worked. I had to get my hair damp and then I applied a little of Dr. Bronner's Magic leave in gel.

The next morning I had large curls at the ends of my hair. They looked very nice and stayed all day. By the way, I have wavy hair.

Loepsie's sock bun tutorial. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM&feature=channel)
Loepsie's sock bun curls. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y)

Ivy

Rabya-Khadija
January 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I like it on other people, I like huge messy buns and that's too tidy for me :D

Angela_Rose
January 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Ah, the Sock Bun. It's one of my long-time favourites. I learned how to do it in high school. I was in ROTC and had BSL to Waist hair, all of which had to be contained in an extremely neat style that did not touch my uniform's collar or the bottom of my 8-point cover (hat). I was taught how to do the sock bun and have been using it since.
I've never gotten curls out of it, though I have a lot of hair left out of the bun that gets braided and wrapped around the base of the bun, so I get braid-waves from that.

LaurelSpring
January 15th, 2011, 09:38 AM

One day I had the big rolled sock bun thing going on and was feeling all that with my big bun and I went to the Grocery store. I got in the checkout line and I realized the cashier guy was talking to the bagger girl about my hair.

The comment I did hear from the guy when I got closer was.... Well I guess it gives you something to hold onto!....:doh::laugh:

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
The sock bun is not my friend. Not only does it not give me curls, it completely destroys my ends and tangles my hair when I undo it. :mad:

anodyne_ame
January 15th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I like the sock bun because it makes my hair look huge. I use it both when I want to look professional and business-like, as well as when I want a fancy up-do that isn't so hard/time-consuming to do. Plus I like the comments I get from people. The door-knob was new to me though, it's hilarious :D

I've wondered about the curls too, though. I've tried it twice. Once I got no curls at all (but my hair was probably too dry aften washing) and last time I had real frizzy waves. My friend thought it looked awesome but to me it was just a massive lion's mane :D
And it was all tangled near the ends, getting it straightened took a while. But I also suspect my ends aren't all that healthy at the moment, so they tangle anyway.

I'm leaning on the "it depends on the hair type"-theory as well. I have a little wave so maybe that's why I don't get the awesome curls loepsie does in her video.

Paranda Belle
January 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
I do like the sock bun. Both Loepsie type and the other type. For me nothing is quicker if I need to get an even bun. But I've never managed to get curls or straighten my hair with a sock bun.

esmay
January 21st, 2011, 08:53 AM
I like this bun for curls...but it looks just not right sitting on my head. Accentuates my nose, or something! :shudder:

IvySchex
January 21st, 2011, 08:59 AM
I like this bun for curls...but it looks just not right sitting on my head. Accentuates my nose, or something! :shudder:

Yeah, I hate how a sock bun looks on me (huge!) so I just wear it at night and I find I do get nice big curls at the end, most of the time!

Ivy

heidihug
January 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM
I wear the fully-rolled sock bun maybe once a month - could never do the other one, there's way too much length leftover to make it look decent. I pin the heck out of it at the base, though, so it doesn't stick out so far. Looks much better that way.

It doesn't give me more waves than any other bun does, but I really couldn't care less about that because I don't wear my hair down.

TheMechaGinger
February 10th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I love loepsie's videos! She was such a huge inspiration for me to finally start treating my hair right and grow it out long again. I definitely need a lot of practice when it comes to the sock bun though

Photokissa
February 10th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I do a sock bun for curls almost everyday. LOVE it. My hair is just about APL though so maybe that's the difference. My hair is in the 2c/3a range, the sock bun does a nice job of smoothing my hair and making nice curls at the ends. I use a very loose pony, and I get it quite damp before I roll it, and then once I have the bun in place I dampen the bun more. In the morning, I smooth out the curls with a TEENY bit of coconut oil. It took a little bit of practice, but it's good now. This is what my hair looks like today from the sock bun....

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/PhotoKissa/Hair.jpg?t=1297368636