PDA

View Full Version : Quick Henna question

Ferine
July 24th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hi,
I've noticed that people say that they leave their Henna to sit for while before putting it on. I have also noticed people talking about waiting for dye release before adding cond for a glaze.
What is this?
I only ever let it sit long enough to cool when I do it straight. When I do a glaze I mix it all together at once.
Do you get a better stain if you let it sit?

Thanx in advance!!!

Ferine

Velouria
July 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Since you say that you only let it sit long enough for it to cool, I assume you're mixing it with a hot or boiling liquid. This gives instant dye release, but also causes the dye in the henna to lose strength more rapidly. If you intend to leave the henna on your head a long time because you want maximum color (ie deep red or burgundy rather than warm coppery or orangeish tones), you'd be better off mixing with room temp. liquid and letting it sit for a couple of hrs. If you mix it with an acidic liquid (tea, coffee, citrus or grape juice, a dash of vinegar) the dye release process is further slowed down (but the staining life of the paste is further increased) so you should let it sit even longer.....depending on how acidic the liquid you mixed with was. Keep in mind that a strongly acidic mix can dry out or even damage your hair.

I just read that you do glosses...in this case, I see no purpose in doing a long slow dye-release as you are not going for strong color.

marisa
July 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM
If you henna and rinse off before dye release even happens you won't get any color.

You can test for dye release by putting on a blob of the henna on your palm, let it sit a few minutes, wipe off. If your palm is stained orange you've got dye release. Depending on how you mix your henna, the time it takes will vary. Anywhere between instantly (hot water) to 12 hours (pure lemon juice).
I usually mix mine with Apple Cider Vinegar and water (sometimes add a bit of coffee &/or tea) and get dye release in 2-3 hours.
Hope that helps!

Ferine
July 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Thank you!
Sorry I didn't get back before now!

I do glosses about half the time, and do sometimes use tea, and ACV. I see tho what you mean about it not lasting as long, I put some on my nails on friday and today (mon) it has disappeared already!

I will try letting sit with RT tea next time. If I do mix with RT tea, do I have to leave it on longer that 2 hrs?