PDA

View Full Version : Hair and swimming daily

buttons
May 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I just got news from my mom that we're probably going to an all-inclusive resort (aka we won't be leaving the place) in a tropical place for a couple of weeks this summer. I know for sure I'll be swimming at least once a day, be it in a pool or on the resort's beach, and the weather will be over 100 the whole time I'm there.

Does anyone have any hair-protecting suggestions? Whenever I'm in an extremely sunny place (I'm very fair, and basically have to use SPF 40 so that I don't turn tomato red) I end up with a scalp burn, which leads to peeling and pain. Is there anything besides a hat that could save me from that?

Also, I really don't want to expose my hair to all that chlorine and salt water, and If all else fails I'll wear a couple of swim caps to keep any water from getting in. I would prefer to soak my hair in conditioner or oil- but no one needs to be swimming in a pool with that stuff. Is there anything else I can do?

Eek- I'll have to wash my hair daily. That'll be a change.

Riot Crrl
May 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
For the swim caps, this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=66558&postcount=31) is my suggestion for wearing two at once. It really used to work well for me when I swam every other day.

For sun protection, a hat or scarf is really the best. I had luck with putting skin sunscreen on the part and hairline, but of course it's oily and gross, and must be reapplied regularly.

If you don't go the skin-sunscreen-on-your-head route, there's really no reason you have to wash your hair more often with anything other than rinsing with water. I always added more conditioner to mine every time I got it wet, but I'm a total conditioner hound.

buttons
May 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
For the swim caps, this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=66558&postcount=31) is my suggestion for wearing two at once. It really used to work well for me when I swam every other day.

For sun protection, a hat or scarf is really the best. I had luck with putting skin sunscreen on the part and hairline, but of course it's oily and gross, and must be reapplied regularly.

If you don't go the skin-sunscreen-on-your-head route, there's really no reason you have to wash your hair more often with anything other than rinsing with water. I always added more conditioner to mine every time I got it wet, but I'm a total conditioner hound.

I was thinking if I swam without the double swim caps, I'd need to CO more often (I did it once a week but with the sweaty weather I'm up to 2x.)

Riot Crrl
May 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
It is true that it involves getting your hair wet more. Some do not like their hair to get wet very often if at all, but my hair seems to enjoy water if there is conditioner involved also. If you swim without the swim caps, it may be wise to use the conditioner in the "washing" fashion, but with the swim caps I seem to be able to just rinse well and then throw conditioner on there in the "conditioning" fashion.

buttons
May 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
It is true that it involves getting your hair wet more. Some do not like their hair to get wet very often if at all, but my hair seems to enjoy water if there is conditioner involved also. If you swim without the swim caps, it may be wise to use the conditioner in the "washing" fashion, but with the swim caps I seem to be able to just rinse well and then throw conditioner on there in the "conditioning" fashion.

Yeah, thats exactly what I meant.
Thanks for the suggestions :D
I'm real paranoid about the pool water damaging my hair, so I might have to suck it up and deal with looking weird in 2 swim caps.

florenonite
May 17th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I worked at a pool last summer and was in and out of it all the time. I wetted my hair with water before going in when I could be bothered, and afterwards would either shampoo (if I was in a rush) or CO with a conditioner containing EDTA. I did this for the whole summer and my hair's still in pretty decent condition. I've only S&Ded twice (and the first time wasn't till March) and a very slight trim to slowly even up my hemline.

julya
May 17th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I have been wearing my buff to protect my scalp lately, and it is great!
I got one with a visor, but it is too short to really protect my face, so I took the visor off. Now I just wear it with my usual visor when I will be in the sun.
http://www.buffwear.com/ This is were I got mine from. They are really thin, so I don't get too hot.

yogachic
May 17th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Wear a hat, put your hair in a high pony, dont' go under the water.
If you want to go under apply a little oil first.
If I was in a tropical place, I don't think I would spend too much time worrying about my hair.

Sceleste
May 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I, too, will be going to a similar resort next November and have been thinking about hair protection. I already bought two hats and have lots of bandanas at home. I'm going to buy a swim cap, no matter if I look silly wearing one. But I really want to enjoy swimming, dip my head in the water and dive so putting hair on a high pony and not wetting it won't work for me. First I thought of oiling my hair and just swimming with it loose but I'm not sure if I can rinse and wash my hair in the shower right after swimming. So, that's why I will buy a swim cap. Or actually two swim caps; thanks Riot Crrl for the advice. I never knew there were such things as lycra caps.

AlleyKitten
May 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
What I was always told was that if you soaked your hair with tap water before going in, it wouldn't be able to soak up as much chlorine or salt water because it was already full. I think if you make sure it's already wet you can get away with much less oil.

Also, unless you're putting sunscreen on your scalp and getting it really greasy, I wouldn't think you'd need to full-on wash it afterward unless it felt really gross. See if rinsing it really thoroughly (and maybe a vinegar rinse or light conditioning) gets the job done.

MotherConfessor
May 17th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Before swimming I would dampen my hair, oil heavily and then french braid it with two elastics (If they fall out you be in the trouble). It kept my hair in pretty good condition despite the swimming. Dont concern yourself too much about the oil factor. Believe it or not we put off a good bit of oil into the water just by being in it and the oil does not harm the pool (and certainly not the ocean). Unless your name is exxon valdese, you should be ok.

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Unless your name is exxon valdese, you should be ok.

Lol!!! That's FUNNY! I just wet my hair really well, add conditioner and then some oil and do a simple english braid. As soon as I can after I rinse VERY well in the shower (no shampoo) and add lots of conditioner like usual and rinse, then do the rest as usual which for me means adding a leave-in, curl definer and some oil or gel and letting it dry by itself. I am leaving for the beach tomorrow and plan on doing this all week. I will wear a hat too when I am not going underwater and LOTS of sunscreen. I always use sunscreen on my scalp, ears, neck and EVERYWHERE. My skin does not like the sun anymore!

florenonite
May 18th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Dont concern yourself too much about the oil factor. Believe it or not we put off a good bit of oil into the water just by being in it and the oil does not harm the pool (and certainly not the ocean). Unless your name is exxon valdese, you should be ok.

That's why you're meant to have a thorough shower before going in the pool (which no one does). I worked at a pool last summer and on busy days we would make kids go back inside to have a shower before going in the pool because, if it's busy it can lead to icky water and possibly worse.

blue_nant
May 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
That's why you're meant to have a thorough shower before going in the pool (which no one does). I worked at a pool last summer and on busy days we would make kids go back inside to have a shower before going in the pool because, if it's busy it can lead to icky water and possibly worse.

Why do they never tell us that? I've always wondered; it seemed terribly silly when I was 10

Nynaeve
May 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Why do they never tell us that? I've always wondered; it seemed terribly silly when I was 10

Haha. Yep.

I wish I could find a hat that worked correctly on my head. I think I'm just going to end up using a lot of oil/conditioner/sunscreen/etc on my head on my trip.
Speaking of, the hippie store isn't open on Mondays, so I'm not going to be able to get some good sunscreen (i.e. not with ingredients my body doesn't like) before I go away! :(