PDA

View Full Version : To trim, or not to trim?

steamboat28
July 24th, 2010, 06:56 AM
So, while taking my mother shopping today, we stopped by a friend's salon to say hello. He and my mom (former beautician) ganged up on me, and both swear that I need about three inches chopped off my hair.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty rough on my hair. I'm outside a lot, it gets tangled in outdoorsy places (tree branches, briar bushes, etc.), rolled up in car windows, tugged on by toddlers, you get the idea. But even after all that, it doesn't *look* that bad, and the tips really aren't that terrible.

My whole entirety life I've been told that one *must* trim their hair regularly for it to be healthy, and mine is just now (after 5 years with no scissors at all) starting to feel healthy...so I should cut off bits of it? And three inches? Really? Is that much necessary?

I'm completely unthrilled by the prospect, and the mere thought of scissors makes me want to cry, but if it will genuinely help my hair, I'm in. Besides, a trim would give it such a flat-ish hem, and I like the pointy bit where it tapers into a perfect curl.

Opinions on where to search in this forum, or on the intertubes, or from personal experience, to help me make this decision?

Capybara
July 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
If you do not want/need to cut your hair, you don't have to. It is true, however, that if you have damage, you can baby it for a while but it will eventually begin to break off if not properly taken care of. I have a hard time trimming my hair too, so I know how it feels! :flower:

It sounds like you have fairy tale ends! Here is a thread that shows many examples of this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40313

ETA: Welcome to LHC!!

cindy58
July 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Welcome to LHC! I don't think you "need" to trim unless you want to. If you're happy with it, that's what counts, and it sounds as if you are. I think if you don't care to trim, a little extra attention helps to keep it looking good.

I'm not a frequent trimmer, the last couple have been been 8-10 months apart. I just trimmed probably 2.5" off today, but I think I've really got plenty of hair for my own comfort. I don't feel like I want it a lot longer than it is. I've got a nice event to go to tonight and a vacation coming up, and I want it to look good.

Sammich
July 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
You don't have to trim if you don't want to. I only trim if I notice any significant amount of damage, or to maintain at a length to cut off layers. :)

Welcome to LHC by the way!

haibane
July 24th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Welcome, steamboat28! :)
It really doesn't sound like you want to trim, and it really doesn't sound like you need to either. If you like your hemline, keep it! It's your hair! :D
I get people dropping more or less diplomatic hints about my "thin ends", but as I'm going for terminal, it wouldn't make much sense to trim them. Besides, I like them, so. :p
Maybe you could learn some neat updos, both to protect the ends and to keep them out of sight of nosy people. ;)

If you have any split ends, you might want to get a sharp pair of scissors and try a bit of S&D (search and destroy) where you cut off only split or otherwise damaged ends, leaving the rest of the hemline and the length alone.
I found a thread with a tips on S&D:
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23678

klcqtee
July 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Does your hair feel crunchy? I only trim when my ends feel crunchy and dry. There are many, many LHC-ers that don't ever trim, but instead do search and destroy missions (S&D), and jsut go through their hair and cut off splits. If you feel you need a trim, then go ahead. I'd start with an inch or so at the most.

steamboat28
July 24th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Does your hair feel crunchy? I only trim when my ends feel crunchy and dry. There are many, many LHC-ers that don't ever trim, but instead do search and destroy missions (S&D), and jsut go through their hair and cut off splits. If you feel you need a trim, then go ahead. I'd start with an inch or so at the most.

No, not really. My ends feel pretty soft, at least for my hair, and they bounce back into curl pretty easily. I did notice this morning, though, while attempting (and failing) to braid it, that the ends are a lighter color than the rest of my hair. That was pretty neat.

klcqtee
July 25th, 2010, 10:56 AM
It's natural for your ends to be lighter than the roots. I think it's especially noticeable on the tawny haired people and dark blondes.

If your hair feels okay, and you like it, no sense in cutting it (unless you want to).

klcqtee
July 25th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Remove double post, sorry

spidermom
July 25th, 2010, 11:09 AM
It's your hair and nobody else gets a vote. Trim only if/when you want to.

Phexlyn
July 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
If your hair isn't damaged (split ends and the likes) and feels healthy to you, if you don't have former damage to grow out (like old bleach/chemical hair dye), why should you cut it if you don't want to?

However, most people outside of the longhair-world seem to prefer a blunt cut on long hair, so maybe that's why they want you to cut it? So that it looks more blunt again and doesn't taper as much?

But as long as you're happy with your hair, just keep it at whatever length you like :)