PDA

View Full Version : Guys wearing hair sticks

James M
July 24th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I couldn't find ANYTHING, through out the vastness of the web, that had anything about guys with hair sticks. So I decided to come to the good ol' Long Hair Community.

Can anyone offer their opinions on this? As well as maybe some photos? I'm beginning to think that guys and hair sticks are like Sasquatch, you just don't see em.

Anyways, it's late in my time zone, or I'd post some photos for everyone, but I'm rockin' some hair sticks, and they are totally comfortable. I've been growing my hair out, and I can gather most of it into a ponytail, however most is not all. But when gathered, and then twisted I was able to work some hair sticks in, and they HELD! :blueeek:

I'll share some photos tomorrow!!

-James

*Aoife*
July 24th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I want to see!

I've seen three people IRL wearing hairsticks, so I can't comment on guys wearing them. I'm guessing plain hairsticks would go best.
A quick Google search revealed nothing. Sorry :)

embee
July 24th, 2010, 05:30 AM
No reason why guys shouldn't wear hairsticks, but haven't seen it in real life. Sadly, the long hair guys in this area mostly have terrible looking hair: dirty, uncombed, not cared for at all as far as I can tell. Every once in a while there'll be one with a "caterpillar" row of hair elastics, neatly tied. Or maybe a braid, but we know how fuzzy those can get in practically no time.

Long_hair_guy
July 24th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I own a few hairsticks which I wear now and again.

Where I live you rarely see guys with long hair and the ones you see normally have it down, ponytail or the one who braid it (I saw him yesterday). Saying that its rare to see a female (outside the LHC) to wear a hairstick so I have a feeling that people don't know how to use them.

steamboat28
July 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I can't, for the life of me, find any hair accessories that aren't in bright neon or pastel colors, or have big, bright flowers or ladybugs or something on them. It's getting to be a struggle for me to even find plain, black, non-metal hair ties!

Because of this apparent dearth in the long-haired-guy market of hair toys, and because I'm a man of very particular (simple and elegant) taste, I'm seriously considering toying with making different sorts of things. Hair sticks are the first on my list. If I manage something that looks halfway decent and functions well, I'll post pics, but they'll have to wait until I finish my other three projects. lol

jasper
July 24th, 2010, 07:21 AM
When I was trying out hair sticks for the first time, I found a video made by a guy showing how he use them. Granted, he used two pencils for the hair sticks.

purplebubba
July 24th, 2010, 07:23 AM
These have been around for years
http://www.longlocks.com/chapstix.htm
But are mostly known to people on forums such as this so until you come here they are hard to find.

There have been threads on this before but they might be on the older archive version.
I have not worn sticks myself but that's mostly because I don't wear a style that uses them.

My answer is who is anyone to tell you you can't unless you are in a place that doesn't allow them for anyone.

steamboat28
July 24th, 2010, 07:26 AM
When I was trying out hair sticks for the first time, I found a video made by a guy showing how he use them. Granted, he used two pencils for the hair sticks.

When I first started using sticks to put up my hair, it was for a character onstage, and I used chopsticks. Since then, I've been using my bamboo knitting needles--they have the added effect of being useful.

Angeletti
July 24th, 2010, 07:53 AM
if you guys have trouble finding sticks that aren't so feminine maybe you could try using fake swords, I have a couple pictures in my hair album wearing them that will give you examples, but basically I just found a letter opener that wasn't sharp for the first and replicas of mini swords for the other set

Night_Kitten
July 24th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I think it will look great, no reason why you shouldn't wear them even if it's not very common right now.
If I'm not mistaken, in Japan and China hair sticks were popular for men's stylesas well at several periods in history, maybe looking at historical styles can give you new ideas for cool updoes?

HikerTrash
July 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I've seen a few men with hair sticks, but not many. I think it takes a man who is comfortable with his sexuality. I find that kind of boldness attractive, personally.

rags
July 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I've not even seen any women in my area wearing hair sticks, so certainly not any men! That said, some of the lovely gentlemen on here have some pictures of very nice looking hairstyles with sticks. I think sticks can look great on a guy!

beez1717
July 24th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Being an ignorint guy, what is the point of hair sticks? I've always wanted to know!

Peter
July 24th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Being an ignorint guy, what is the point of hair sticks? I've always wanted to know!
To hold up a bun (or some other style), often without using hairties or pins.

To the OP: Gumball is the only guy I know who wears hair sticks. Maybe he'll stop by and give some more information. :)

WritingPrincess
July 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think plain black hairsticks could work well. I've heard (somewhere on here) of a guy who wore a bun held with a huge nail--very cool.

Sammich
July 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I haven't seen any guy wear hairsticks before, or anyone! :p But like someone who posted in here said, it's a sign of confidence! :)
Wear them if you want, It might even become your sort of symbol? Trademark thing. :p

brista
July 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I've heard (somewhere on here) of a guy who wore a bun held with a huge nail--very cool.

Ouch! :)

I found plain sticks at Sally's, a black set and a dark brown set together. They were pretty cheap.

*Aoife*
July 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM
These have been around for years
http://www.longlocks.com/chapstix.htm
But are mostly known to people on forums such as this so until you come here they are hard to find.

There have been threads on this before but they might be on the older archive version.
I have not worn sticks myself but that's mostly because I don't wear a style that uses them.

My answer is who is anyone to tell you you can't unless you are in a place that doesn't allow them for anyone.

I love those sticks!!

Totally off topic, but I love either dead plain or absurdly over ornamented sticks :D

Kimarie91
July 24th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I can't, for the life of me, find any hair accessories that aren't in bright neon or pastel colors, or have big, bright flowers or ladybugs or something on them. It's getting to be a struggle for me to even find plain, black, non-metal hair ties!

Because of this apparent dearth in the long-haired-guy market of hair toys, and because I'm a man of very particular (simple and elegant) taste, I'm seriously considering toying with making different sorts of things. Hair sticks are the first on my list. If I manage something that looks halfway decent and functions well, I'll post pics, but they'll have to wait until I finish my other three projects. lol
Not a guy, but yesterday I went to the local beauty supply store and they had a display of lots of black and brownish color non metal hair ties, some plain (very plain) hairsticks. Might be a good place to try is you haven't yet.

*Aoife*
July 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM
To any guys looking for really plain sticks. I found a ton in Camden, London. Very plain and they had some which were quite dark. They looked lovely

EdG
July 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I was in the supermarket this morning. I saw several ladies with very nice hair buns. I of course was sporting my usual loose-hair-everywhere style. Unlike me, they didn't need to consciously try to keep their hair out of the way.
Ed

ale
July 24th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I wear my hair in a bun held with a hairstick every single day. I just can't stand the heat caused by the hair on my neck, especially in summer; besides, it looks more "professional" for work, nobody can tell how my hair is long by looking at the bun.
I have a couple of nice wooden hairsticks I got in a local store, but most of the time I use one I made from a bamboo chopstick taken at a Chinese restaurant, I just shortened it and sharpened the tip; it works well even in the swimming pool or in the sea.

steamboat28
July 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Honestly, I usually just secure my buns with a hair tie, if anything at all. I'm lucky in that my hair holds a twist really well, so sometimes I can just throw it up and say "Stay! Good hair." When that doesn't work, a hair tie gently placed at the base holds it pretty well. YMMV, of course.

OtiggerificO
July 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I will admit most of the guys I know that have long hair either ponytail it or leave it down, but a couple of them stick it up for battle re-enactment and the like.
My mate Ben wears them quite often, http://twitpic.com/28bnnt, if you buy from the gothier shops then they're mostly black and silver, so not very girly :)

DARKMARTIAN
July 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Honestly I had no idea before coming to LHC that guys wearing hairsticks was a normal and or fashionably acceptable practice. But ive since had them in my hair and quite frankly its a nice feeling. To get my hair off my neck every now and again can be rather refreshing.

Thanks to Silver & Gold for her original suggestion to do so...;)

Neoma
July 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
You may want to check out Ron Quattro, who sells on etsy.com (http://www.etsy.com/shop/quattro?ga_search_query=quattro&ga_search_type=seller_usernames) and ebay (http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/ronquattro?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39 %253A6%257C72%253A1205&_sop=10&_sc=1&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH). He makes lots of unadorned metal accessories which, IMHO, would look great on a guy. They have a rather "industrial" feel to them.

KarpatiiSiv
July 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I've spotted a few hairsticks online that I think would be perfect for guys. They are usual in stores that sell goth or celtic design stuff. This is one I saw recently that I was trying to convince my DH to buy. :)
http://witchcraft-supplies.com/Products3/PEW710.jpg

Gumball
July 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Who, what, in the where, Peter? :D

*pokes stick that's holding up his braided nautilus bun*

I wear hair sticks and nobody really makes any notice of them whatsoever. My default styles are either a nautilus bun (braided or not, usually not when I'm out and about) or a braided cinnamon bun (held up with bobby pins no less!). The nautilus bun needs a stick, so a stick I use! I say as long as you're comfortable with it the do what you do. It's your head after all.

Fiferstone
July 24th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I've got a plain bone hairpin that I got at one of my reenactments which I love. Here's an action shot:

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/Fiferstone/Hair%20Stuff/SSPX0036.jpg
I think something like this would be perfectly acceptable and not "girly" at all on a guy. Also search Etsy for Viking hair pin and you'll find some really great carved bone hair pins. I'm lusting after one or two myself.

little_acorn
July 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I sometimes see some of the local Maori guys wearing a heru (traditional comb) in their hair - looks awesome :D

Aleria
July 24th, 2010, 11:16 PM
A long haired guy in my anthropology class usually wore his hair up in a bun with a single stick. It looked pretty cool :)

Neoma
July 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I sometimes see some of the local Maori guys wearing a heru (traditional comb) in their hair - looks awesome :D
Oh, girl... I got a mental picture going right now of Maori guys with herus doing the hakka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwN_0YMr2nI). :eyebrows:

James M
July 25th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Hey everyone!

It's nice to see so many enthusiastic reply's this this topic. I haven't worn any hair sticks out yet, as I kind of discovered my hair is still a little to short, but I think I'd be comfortable enough to rock the do.

The truth is, like a lot of other people have said, it's nice to get the hair off the neck. But really, I hope everyone is following me on the whole lack of guys wearing hair sticks. It's time for revolution - haaa Here's a pic of my best hair stick action I can get it. http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9483/photoon20100726at01352.jpg

I would have posted sooner however, yesterday I wasn't able to reproduce the hair stick style I had when I posted my original post - what gives?

@ little_acorn

a Maori Heru would be sweet! I just googled it and they look pretty cool.

@fiferstone

Your hair color is awesome, and I like that hair stick, I agree - I don't think it would look girly at all.

Definitely interesting hearing everyones opinions on hair stick styles.

Phexlyn
July 26th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Hi James,

that picture rocks! :applause:

There's nothing wrong with guys wearing hairstix as long as they're comfortable with it. The more "manly" options are, in my opinion, black or white bone sticks (carvings optional), plain dark chopsticks/wood sticks (e.g. ketylos) and steel/metal sticks (I think there are children's chopsticks available in stainless steel, might be nice as well).

Generally, I would suggest sticks that are on the shorter side, especially if you don't want them to show too much. Maybe get a shorter pair as well and see which you like better. I (as a woman) prefer shorter sticks for practical/everyday styles, for fancy occasions sticks can be a bit longer and more embellished :)

James M
July 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Nice! I will try out something shorter. If anything I'll just modify those while I try and actually get good enough at using them haha.

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Plain wood sticks are a good option as well, for a less-feminine touch. Try Birnam Grove, Pacific Mercantile, or Amadlifeo on Etsy...or, get Nightshade or Raven or someone like that on Etsy to do you a custom black stick with a skull or something equally cool on it. :D

becker
July 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I spotted a guy wearing a hair stick today and I thought it looked great!

rusika1
July 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Bone hairsticks are great. Horn is nice, and you can find plenty of 'non-girly' styles. Japanese chopsticks (especially kids' chopsticks) tend to be a little shorter than some other kinds, and can look really streamlined and elegant. (Provided you're not buying Badz Maru or Chococat chopsticks.)

On Etsy, take a look at Pacific Mercantile and American Carver for wood; Leginayba or Quecraft for bone and horn. Outnumbered Novelties looks interesting.

ETA: Or look at Crafty Celts. (not on Etsy)

mglmdvd
July 27th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I think you can do it, just be sure the sticks don't look too feminine.

Marjolein
July 28th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I'd love to see hairsticks on a long-haired man. Especially wooden ones in organic shapes (following the shape of the branches) that the man carved himself. Woodcarving is HOT!! But also very simple bone sticks and metal sticks would be very masculine in my opinion.

I would especially like them if they were smaller rather than larger. If they are smaller they seem (to me) to be more functional, rather than fashionable.

GRU
July 28th, 2010, 08:22 AM
You know what I think would look cool? Small drumsticks as hairsticks (as in for playing drums, not poultry legs!!!)....

Neoma
July 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
You know what I think would look cool? Small drumsticks as hairsticks (as in for playing drums, not poultry legs!!!)....
GRU, it's funny you should say that. Just yesterday I ran across a pair of pretty drumsticks (http://www.etsy.com/listing/52450431/custom-drum-sticks-pair-massuranduba?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=drumsticks&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title)and thought that they would make nice hairsticks.

You made me laugh, BTW. :D

James M
July 29th, 2010, 10:50 AM
LOL @ drumsticks (no pollo)

Drum sticks are a good idea. I dabble in drums, however I'm no Steve Gad.

I'm going to take what I feel like is a consensus here. Short hair sticks = more functionality over style.

Although I really liked Marjolein's idea on using organic shapes. Like a hair stick that at the top looks like a small branch. This is a neat idea, and I'd suggest you start selling them online!

@ mglmdvd - Thanks for the encouragement! My last photo was just some green chopsticks I had to experiment with. They were way to long, and way to green haha

@ Becker - That's awesome. Still haven't seen any dudes here wearing them, so I'm going to have to fill in the void.

I'm good at working with wood, and carving, so I'll see if I can make some kind of cool hair stick out of camphor, or maybe cherry wood, and go for something organic in appearance, but short for functionality. I'm totally posting a pic too.

Thanks for all the awesome ideas everyone :D

Long_hair_guy
July 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Wouldn't drum sticks be too thick? The thickest hair stick I have is only has one inch circumference were I believe drum sticks must be around 3ish plsu the end is quite wide so getting it into your hair is going to hurt.

jasper
July 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On6Jn4lQfeA

I think this guy might be using drumsticks. . . and also not having the best of luck with it.

Long_hair_guy
July 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Those look like normal eating chopsticks to me

James M
July 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah man this is kind of what I was thinking too :(

Maybe if you used like some really thin Jazz drum sticks, and used only the tip. Maybe modifying the tip by making it thinner via a little whittling.

*runs off*

Ok, I just dug around the jam room for a while, and discovered this stick. Not as thin as I was looking for, but it pretty much confirms what you were saying.
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8725/photoon20100729at1630.jpg

See the break? Maybe I go down with the break, making it - tops 5"... Then I can thin it out. See if it works.

Now I kind of feel like working on this now haha

James M
July 29th, 2010, 02:40 PM
WHAT! I can't believe you found a video of a dude trying to work out some hair sticks. You get like 5 internets for even managing to find this.

@ Long_hair_guy

That they do.

princessp
July 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I have seen a guy wear hairsticks, I don't see what the problem would be.

trolleypup
July 29th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Short lightweight stainless hairstickschopsticks at garrettwade.com (http://www.garrettwade.com/stainless-steel-chopsticks/p/39C04.01/), I use the medium ones in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLIkSXAJho).

This style and stick is my day in-day out style. I have other sticks, but this is what I wear virtually all the time.

Neoma
July 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Short lightweight stainless hairstickschopsticks at garrettwade.com (http://www.garrettwade.com/stainless-steel-chopsticks/p/39C04.01/), I use the medium ones in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLIkSXAJho).

This style and stick is my day in-day out style. I have other sticks, but this is what I wear virtually all the time.
trolleypup, these look great, and the price is right. Have you ever had the opportunity to compare them to Ron Q's StarLites? I'm just wondering how heavy they are in comparison.

Gumball
July 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM

Those sticks are really cool, trolleypup. Thanks for pointing them out. I may have to invest in some!

trolleypup
July 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM
trolleypup, these look great, and the price is right. Have you ever had the opportunity to compare them to Ron Q's StarLites? I'm just wondering how heavy they are in comparison.
I have some of his hairsticks, in aluminum and titanium. They work OK, but they are thinner. Also they are lighter. The chopsticks are hollow, so very light for their size and thickness. I like the visual appearance of the chopsticks, but I do carry an aluminum stick in my toy kit. All work similarly for me.

Those sticks are really cool, trolleypup. Thanks for pointing them out. I may have to invest in some!
You're welcome! Nice that I don't have to feel bad when I lose one...or one gets banged/scratched up when it gets dropped.

Synthemesc
July 29th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hooray for men in hairsticks! Just hooray for men with long hair in general, actually.
Those chopsticks look amazing, trolleypup. Makes me a sad panda that it's over 50 dollars shipping to the UK, however. Just have to continue on my hunt for decent sized metal chopsticks. :(

James M
July 30th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Dude, trolleypup that's awesome!!

I like the classic look of that hair stick. It's sleek, and minimalist. And metal.

Very cool. I'm still working on mine. I'm going to go hand made for now. If I had some machine tools I'd totally make some metal hair sticks. I think they would be neat. :D

Marjolein
July 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'm still working on mine. I'm going to go hand made for now.

You do know you are my hero now :D ???

Kae612
September 8th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but just in case some guys/non-feminine folk come across this thread, I wanted to add that Torrin has this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ByASp2pec where her husband models some gender neutral half-up hair stick do's. And looks pretty great, in my opinion. She also has a quick vid on how to make your own hair sticks out of chopsticks. I personally ended up following one of her commenter's ideas - I had some dark brown decorative chopsticks (with very minimal carved designs just on the end) that are almost identical to my hair colour & used a pencil sharpener to shorten the sticks & then used a nail file to soften the points. I think they ended up being very neutral looking and blend in very easily with my hair with no loud decorations.

EdG
September 8th, 2016, 08:11 PM
This thread is a time capsule. :thud:

In the six years since the original thread, the man-bun became a fad and then fizzled. Now, a man wearing a bun is no longer perceived as unusual. Actually, it's a yawner. :shrug:

Kae612 - there are quite a few gender-neutral hairsticks available.
Ed

Neoma
September 8th, 2016, 08:23 PM
This thread is a time capsule. :thud:

In the six years since the original thread, the man-bun became a fad and then fizzled. Now, a man wearing a bun is no longer perceived as unusual. Actually, it's a yawner. :shrug:

Ed

It's amazing, isn't it, Ed?

Also, is it just me, or are there fewer bearded guys lately?

EdG
September 8th, 2016, 08:45 PM

Also, is it just me, or are there fewer bearded guys lately?Quite possibly. Men's styles seem to oscillate wildly, sometimes bordering on ridiculous. That's why I go with time-proven hair and clothing styles. :)
Ed

Neoma
September 8th, 2016, 08:53 PM
For a while, heavily bearded guys with manbuns were everywhere. I didn't realize I hadn't been seeing either one very much lately until I saw a guy with a really neat "messy bun." His hair was clean and shiny and he looked like he just stepped out of a Pantene ad. There was, however, no beard.

EdG
September 8th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Maybe he is one of us. If you see him again, you can try the secret greeting. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=3292150) ;)
Ed

Xavien_Grey
September 8th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I'm a fan of anything wood, but due to my apparent inability to get any stick or sticks to stay, I generally use pins or a fork. Yes I realize I should be able to make em work if I can get the fork to stay... But (shrugs shoulders) there's technique I just can wrap my hair around

Neoma
September 9th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Maybe he is one of us. If you see him again, you can try the secret greeting. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=3292150) ;)
Ed

Ha! I didn't know we had a secret greeting. It was so secret that it was secret to me! :flower:

I'm a fan of anything wood, but due to my apparent inability to get any stick or sticks to stay, I generally use pins or a fork. Yes I realize I should be able to make em work if I can get the fork to stay... But (shrugs shoulders) there's technique I just can wrap my hair around
Your hair is beautiful, Xavien_Grey.

I can only use forks and pins on twisted buns.

I use sticks on wrapped buns and French twists.

:flower:

Anje
September 9th, 2016, 11:36 AM

Also, is it just me, or are there fewer bearded guys lately?

I don't know -- hubby and I were observing last night that the majority of guys around us had facial hair. (Then again, here in the Midwest, fads lag behind a bit.) Hubby has normally had a trimmed beard since I met him in 2002, except for the few months he has every few years when he wants to see what his face looks like without it. But the beard always comes back, because it suits him whether or not it's fashionable.

morrigan*
September 9th, 2016, 01:21 PM

I wasn't able to use sticks secure at first too, but forks were no problem, with a bit more length, and practice i can now wear them, also pairs usually work better than single stick.

Neoma
September 9th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I don't know -- hubby and I were observing last night that the majority of guys around us had facial hair. (Then again, here in the Midwest, fads lag behind a bit.) Hubby has normally had a trimmed beard since I met him in 2002, except for the few months he has every few years when he wants to see what his face looks like without it. But the beard always comes back, because it suits him whether or not it's fashionable.
It could be a regional thing. For a while here in NY it seems like all the hipster guys had full facial hair and maybe a manbun. Now, I don't see many of either one.

My DH has had a beard the entire time I've known him. :flower:

meteor
September 9th, 2016, 03:10 PM
trolleypup, those metal chopsticks look like absolute PERFECTION!! :applause Thanks a lot for the tip!
I definitely need to keep an eye out for Korean shops to maybe find them locally some lucky day...

Forks are awesome! If you want specifically sticks to hold well, gaining a bit more length usually makes all the difference. The more prongs on the fork, the shorter the hair can be to be still bunnable, but when you get to just 1 prong (i.e. 1 stick), you usually need more length to hold it all securely. But you could also try starting the bun with a half-up bun with a stick and then twisting and wrapping the remaining hair around that half-up bun and pinning it with a U-pin or bobby-pin or two around the half-up base.

It could be a regional thing. For a while here in NY it seems like all the hipster guys had full facial hair and maybe a manbun. Now, I don't see many of either one.

Yes, I think I noticed something like that going on, as well, but I assumed that it might be just a practical response to an unusually hot summer? It's kind of hard to know for sure when fashions come and go though. I do know a few guys who grow out their facial hair specifically in winter-time (they say it keeps them warm, protects the skin from really cold wind) and then shave during hot summer months.

Neoma
September 9th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Yes, I think I noticed something like that going on, as well, but I assumed that it might be just a practical response to an unusually hot summer? It's kind of hard to know for sure when fashions come and go though. I do know a few guys who grow out their facial hair specifically in winter-time (they say it keeps them warm, protects the skin from really cold wind) and then shave during hot summer months.Good point, meteor! Maybe the hipsters will regrow their beards after the first frost! :)

Xavien_Grey
September 9th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Ha! I didn't know we had a secret greeting. It was so secret that it was secret to me! :flower:

Your hair is beautiful, Xavien_Grey.

I can only use forks and pins on twisted buns.

I use sticks on wrapped buns and French twists.

:flower:

Thx Neoma!

I forgot ficcares in there, i pretty much only use cinnibuns or braided cinnibuns, or the occasional infinity.

Wrapped and pencil buns are my illusive foes <.< Tension issues; either too tight to be comfortable or to loose to stay for more than a few minutes :bounce:

EdG
September 9th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I'm a fan of anything wood, but due to my apparent inability to get any stick or sticks to stay, I generally use pins or a fork. Yes I realize I should be able to make em work if I can get the fork to stay... But (shrugs shoulders) there's technique I just can wrap my hair aroundSticks will hold better with waist-length or longer hair. The type of bun is also important. I need two sticks to get a cinnabun to stay. I can do a nautilus with one stick.
Ed

matentur
September 26th, 2016, 04:35 PM
it might be just a practical response to an unusually hot summer? It's kind of hard to know for sure when fashions come and go though. I do know a few guys who grow out their facial hair specifically in winter-time (they say it keeps them warm, protects the skin from really cold wind) and then shave during hot summer months.

It definitely is harder to hang on to long hair and beards in the summer. If I weren't committed and couldn't put it up I definitely would have cut.

LongLocke
March 21st, 2023, 07:48 PM
This thread has been informative AND entertaining!

WednesdayAddams
March 22nd, 2023, 06:13 AM
I sometimes fix my husband's hair up in a bun in summer, but not with hair sticks. Honestly, I'd really like to see that on guys.

LongLocke
March 22nd, 2023, 02:31 PM
I sometimes fix my husband's hair up in a bun in summer, but not with hair sticks. Honestly, I'd really like to see that on guys.

How long is your husband’s hair?

I have a feeling this summer will be very bunfull. Eapecially since I want to get outside more this year than I did last year. I see many hair sticks in my future

WednesdayAddams
March 23rd, 2023, 04:54 AM
How long is your husband’s hair?

I have a feeling this summer will be very bunfull. Eapecially since I want to get outside more this year than I did last year. I see many hair sticks in my future

It is what I would comparatively call BSL, so mid-back? He is I would say a 2cFii. He looks great in a bun so it is a win for both form and function. :)

LongLocke
March 23rd, 2023, 11:59 AM
It is what I would comparatively call BSL, so mid-back? He is I would say a 2cFii. He looks great in a bun so it is a win for both form and function. :)

Yeah. I marked MBL and BSL as the same. That's kind of what the guidance in our APL to MBL and MLB to waist threads say to do at least. My wife used to do this weird and tight ball buns on me when I was between shoulder and APL. I really hate using elastics anymore, so I try to avoid the types of buns she was doing

Neoma
March 23rd, 2023, 12:40 PM
Yeah. I marked MBL and BSL as the same. That's kind of what the guidance in our APL to MBL and MLB to waist threads say to do at least. My wife used to do this weird and tight ball buns on me when I was between shoulder and APL. I really hate using elastics anymore, so I try to avoid the types of buns she was doing

You may like some of the wrapped buns, which don't rely on tension for hold or shape. I highly recommend the Neoma Knot.

LongLocke
March 23rd, 2023, 12:45 PM
You may like some of the wrapped buns, which don't rely on tension for hold or shape. I highly recommend the Neoma Knot.

I'm liking the nautilus so far. Quick, easy, and doesn't put a lot of tension on my scalp with the way I wrap it up. I'll check out your suggestion though.

My wife doesn't do stick buns, but maybe I can get her converted

Neoma
March 23rd, 2023, 01:41 PM
I'm liking the nautilus so far. Quick, easy, and doesn't put a lot of tension on my scalp with the way I wrap it up. I'll check out your suggestion though.

My wife doesn't do stick buns, but maybe I can get her converted
Nautilus is a good wrapped bun. (Not that any are bad!) :flower:

Todd
March 23rd, 2023, 01:49 PM
Mt hair is probably too slippery for hair sticks. Or does that even matter? Maybe a coarse wood is better (IE, less smooth)?

SandyBottom
March 23rd, 2023, 05:00 PM
Mt hair is probably too slippery for hair sticks. Or does that even matter? Maybe a coarse wood is better (IE, less smooth)?

I bet you could do it...try! My hair is super slippery and I wear them all the time-even acrylic ones. There are ones that have various thicknesses throughout their length and that helps hold them in place or, like you said, wood. Etsy is a good place to get ideas for what you'd like.

Neoma
March 23rd, 2023, 07:53 PM
Todd, I have baby fine, 1a, super silky, slippery hair. In my experience, the material doesn't matter. The tension of the bun is key. I don't mean that the bun has to be tight. My hair was waist length for years (right now it's short) and I practically lived in wrapped buns. If I wrapped them with the right amount of tension and inserted the hair sticks, the updo would stay all day.

My suggestion would be to watch a few videos of people making wrapped buns, either on LHC or YouTube. I think that what I tried to explain above will make more sense. :flower:

mochichichi
March 24th, 2023, 06:26 AM

My hair is also slippy and I find, like Neoma that the tension of the bun is the important factor. I wore hair stickbuns daily for a long time and I would wear the same bun all day for 15+ hours with no issues. You don’t want coarse hair sticks because they could do damage to your stands. I like the ones with spirals along the length or long 2-3 prong forks for extra hood especially when my hair gets a little greasy and slidey.

clairenewcastle
March 24th, 2023, 11:15 AM
I've been a member of LHC since 2009 so I have been aware of hairsticks since then. However, I have never seen anyone wearing a hairstick - male or female. I just think that the general public here in the north east of England don't know about them.

LongLocke
March 24th, 2023, 11:56 AM
I've been a member of LHC since 2009 so I have been aware of hairsticks since then. However, I have never seen anyone wearing a hairstick - male or female. I just think that the general public here in the north east of England don't know about them.

Sticks are definitely a rarity where I live as well. I don't know if I've ever noticed anyone using them.

clairenewcastle
March 24th, 2023, 12:53 PM
Sticks are definitely a rarity where I live as well. I don't know if I've ever noticed anyone using them.

Thats interesting. People around here do have long hair, they just use scrunchies or hair ties and I see a lot of very messy buns.