PDA

View Full Version : Fine Haired and/or Greasy Haired COers.

allnaturalboy
July 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
I know there is a CO washing thread, but I thought I'd make one for the fineys and the greasy haired COers.

Share your methods, techniques, what products you're using(including oils, among other things), etc.

Right now I use either a V05 or Suave Tropical Coconut. I slather on a bunch, usually about 2 or 3 palmfuls. Massage really well. Leave on for a few minutes and rinse it off.
I've found that my scalp likes the double CO method a lot. CO-wash, rinse, apply diluted condish to the scalp, and rinse again really well. I sometimes do a vinegar rinse, but not that often. I like to lather my condish with a bit of water by ducking under the shower head really fast too.

teela1978
July 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
I used to CO similarly to your method. It pretty much stopped working for me once I moved to a hard water area though, so I use regular shampoo now. I can do an occasional CO... but my hair goes back to greasy much faster than with shampoo. I think it rinsed better in "good" tap water.

breezefaerie
July 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
I do the exact method you described, a double CO with VO5 or Suave conditioner when I CO. I alternate the CO with CWC as my scalp likes a bit of shampoo on a regular basis.

*Aoife*
July 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I just do an average CO. Scrub in a couple of handfuls into my scalp, condition my ends, leave it for a few minutes, scrub it out and recondition. I sometimes do a ACV rinse but only once a month or so.

Deborah
July 24th, 2010, 12:01 AM
My hair is extremely fine, but there is a lot of it.

My recent CO method has been working great, and my hair stays clean longer than before.

I put 1/4 cup conditioner in a bottle, add 1/4 cup warm water and 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of citric acid powder. Shake this up well, dump on hair and wash. Rinse well, then end with a citric acid rinse, which I don't wash out.

You will note that this uses much less conditioner than other CO methods, so it is economical as well.

teela1978
July 24th, 2010, 02:05 PM
You will note that this uses much less conditioner than other CO methods, so it is economical as well.
That's actually a large part of why I quit CO. I had to shampoo every couple of weeks to clarify and that was annoying... but using a third of a bottle of conditioner for each wash always felt so wasteful! Not to mention expensive.

Perhaps I'll try your dilution and acid additon method one of these days...

allnaturalboy
July 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I don't really think it is that expensive to CO. Sure you use a lot of conditioner, but since the bottles only cost around $1, its no big deal to me. I usually only spend about $10 max a month on conditioner(usually less). Then again I can make a bottle last about 5 or 6 days even when COing every day. My hair is not that long though, almost shoulder length.

I think I may try out the diluted conditioner thing. I was doing that before, but the results were very inconsistent. Sometimes I'd get really nice hair with just a small palmful of condish diuluted, other times not so much. It just seemed to get cleaner piling it on. Where do you buy the citric acid powder at?

klcqtee
July 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM
My hair is really thick, so CO takes a lot of conditioner. It has encouraged me to stretch washes though, and so long as I wash well (I tend to wash better CO then shampoo, since I have to really scrub to feel clean) my hair doesn't get as greasy as it used to. Since I can stretch my washes, and my conditioner is cheap, I only spend maybe a dollar or two per month.

Deborah
July 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I buy citric acid powder from Ebay, from the Chemistry Connection, I think. Several people sell it on Ebay. You can find it in some hardware stores, and in stores that sell supplies for canning (not Wal-Mart though.)

GRU
July 25th, 2010, 09:37 AM
My local health food stores sell citric acid powder in amongst the bulk herbs and such. You put however much you want in a baggie, close with a twist-tie, and they charge you by weight.

allnaturalboy
July 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM
My hair is really thick, so CO takes a lot of conditioner. It has encouraged me to stretch washes though, and so long as I wash well (I tend to wash better CO then shampoo, since I have to really scrub to feel clean) my hair doesn't get as greasy as it used to. Since I can stretch my washes, and my conditioner is cheap, I only spend maybe a dollar or two per month.

Really? I didn't think the amount you used was based on thickness. I assumed it was based on how oily your hair is(unless your hair is super greasy, then I'll just shut up now XD). My hair is not extremely greasy anymore. It still gets oily, just not nearly as much now. It was actually a lot greasier with shampoo(I think I get rebound SLS oiliness or something). I use more or less conditioner, depending on how oily my hair is that day or how much oil is in it if I've done an oil treatment or something. I'm actually starting to notice that my hair is getting less and less greasy the second day after CO. I'm only about 3 weeks into it so I'm not that far in it.

My local health food stores sell citric acid powder in amongst the bulk herbs and such. You put however much you want in a baggie, close with a twist-tie, and they charge you by weight.

I think I'll try Central Market or Whole Foods then. I've never seen it near the herbs, but then again, I've never actually looked for it. However, they are similar with the do it yourself and charging by weight. I love it. I actually find it a lot cheaper than buying herbs prepackaged anywhere else.

This is kind of unrelated, but according to this article I read, there is an 8 week transition phase for most people where their hair begins to get less and less greasy with CO. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s2015.htm
I'm noticing that with my hair it is getting less and less greasy, but has anyone else noticed that? And has been able to wash less frequently because of that?
I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to stretch washes without looking like a total greaseball.

Ferine
July 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Suave has a clarifying conditioner that I find works really well. I CO with that first like it's shampoo, put it on the scalp, mess it around, then move down the length and rinse. Then follow up with SNTC as cond leaving it on for a few min.
I have pretty fine hair and I find that I can even get an oil treatment washed out well this way.

klcqtee
July 27th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Really? I didn't think the amount you used was based on thickness. I assumed it was based on how oily your hair is(unless your hair is super greasy, then I'll just shut up now XD). My hair is not extremely greasy anymore. It still gets oily, just not nearly as much now. It was actually a lot greasier with shampoo(I think I get rebound SLS oiliness or something). I use more or less conditioner, depending on how oily my hair is that day or how much oil is in it if I've done an oil treatment or something. I'm actually starting to notice that my hair is getting less and less greasy the second day after CO. I'm only about 3 weeks into it so I'm not that far in it.

I noticed too that my hair is getting less greasy. I have very oily hair, but CO has helped me quite a bit. I may use more conditioner than some other people because I wash my scalp upside down (easier to get through the hair that way and get it all clean), then I flip my head back over and rinse like I would rinse out shampoo. All the flipping my hair over causes a lot of tangles (and my hair tangles by looking at it wrong), so I take a handful of conditioner and coat my hair enough that I can finger comb out all the tangles. I use a lot of conditioner combing in the shower, and then just let it soak while I do whatever else I need to. I'm not sure if everyone else does it this way, but it works really well for me.

I hope you CO continues to work for you!

Kome
July 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
My hair is pretty greasy, but I can't use shampoo or it goes POOF and frizzies like mad. I've always had a hard time finding the right conditioner that actually left my hair silky, but not greasy. I've recently found one that I would not have expected to work, but my hair is also damaged and needs for moisture than normal right now. I also bought it to rinse out henna because it was super cheap, but ended up using it as my regular conditioner. I'm using Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter. I loooooooove it. It smells awesome and it actually soaks up into my hair so I don't have to rinse with cold water. I don't even need a detangler/leave-in condtioner OR hair gloss. I normally use all of those things, but with this one conditioner, I don't need any of them! :)

allnaturalboy
July 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I noticed too that my hair is getting less greasy. I have very oily hair, but CO has helped me quite a bit. I may use more conditioner than some other people because I wash my scalp upside down (easier to get through the hair that way and get it all clean), then I flip my head back over and rinse like I would rinse out shampoo. All the flipping my hair over causes a lot of tangles (and my hair tangles by looking at it wrong), so I take a handful of conditioner and coat my hair enough that I can finger comb out all the tangles. I use a lot of conditioner combing in the shower, and then just let it soak while I do whatever else I need to. I'm not sure if everyone else does it this way, but it works really well for me.

I hope you CO continues to work for you!

Thanks! :]
That is almost how I do mine actually.
Sometimes when I feel my hair is really greasy(whether it be from overusing oil or whatever) I'll saturate my hair with water really well in my bathroom sink, add tons of condish, then add some water to lather up abit. I wrap it all up in a shower cap, do something else for awhile, then get in the shower and wash my face/body and then rinse, rinse, rinse. Sometimes I use Garnier Triple Nutrition on my ends when I feel I need it, but my hair is not that long yet so I don't need to use that much.