PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide where hip length is?

Amara
May 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Is it where your hip bones are?
I've heard "belt length" but everybody wears their belts at a different height. I like low riders but not flash-your-thong riders so my hip bones are about where my belt is. Is that where "hip length" is on me?
Any other way to determine where hip is?

Thanks!

Calista
May 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I always thought it was the widest part of your body. Your lower body, that is.

Amara
May 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Well, on me, that's well below where my belt sits. That's pretty much tailbone (where all my glute muscle is - in the middle of my butt, right where my tailbone is...)

ETA: Maybe I got freaky hips. :D

florenonite
May 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Well, on me, that's well below where my belt sits. That's pretty much tailbone (where all my glute muscle is - in the middle of my butt, right where my tailbone is...)

ETA: Maybe I got freaky hips. :D

Nope, that's the same for me. I measure to the top of my trousers, as that's about where my hipbones are at the front.

Anje
May 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM
"Hip length" on LHC is the top of the iliac crests of your pelvis. It's roughly where I wear my non-low-rise pants, and on my oddly-proportioned torso, it's a little above my belly button. Tailbone is usually about where your "vertical smile" starts.

Hips in the sewing estimation is the very widest point, and that seems to be about at the point where the femur meets the pelvis. It might be a smidge higher than Classic length, but not much.

Now go find your anatomy books, everyone! :-P

AlleyKitten
May 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I've been wondering this too...my hair comes about to the tops of where I wear my pants, so I have been saying "belt length", but I think it's coming up on my actual hip bones (the place where they poke out in the front). My hair is well past what I think of as my waist, if that's the narrowest point on my torso (that being just below the bottom of my rib cage, as my belly pooge widens the area around my middle).

I can't wait til my hair gets to tailbone and I can stop fretting about this! ;)

Amara
May 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM
You're speaking my language, Anje!
The top of my iliac crest in the back is about an inch above belt length, and in the front my hip bones are right underneath my belt. So one of those is "hip," yes?

AJoifulNoise
May 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I can't wait til my hair gets to tailbone and I can stop fretting about this! ;)

I'm right there with you! That's why I made my next goal after waist 36" (because it's 3 feet) and then Tailbone. I've no idea where hiplength is on me and I've given up trying to figure it out.

k_hepburn
May 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
"Hip length" on LHC is the top of the iliac crests of your pelvis. It's roughly where I wear my non-low-rise pants, and on my oddly-proportioned torso, it's a little above my belly button. Tailbone is usually about where your "vertical smile" starts.

Hips in the sewing estimation is the very widest point, and that seems to be about at the point where the femur meets the pelvis. It might be a smidge higher than Classic length, but not much.

Now go find your anatomy books, everyone! :-P

Yes, I was already thinking I would need to consult an encyclopaedia to figure out this explanation when I read the first sentence. Iliac crests are those parts of your hipbones jutting out at the front, right?

I too find hip a very difficult length to determine. I think I'm there, but only on those days on which I feel generous towards myself :D .

Greetings

katharine

Amara
May 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Haha, yes, that's a much simpler landmark! LOL

I think I'll have "belt length" (I'll be there soon!), then "hip bone length", then "tailbone." An extra milestone means I get to brag more often. :D

Amara
May 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, I was already thinking I would need to consult an encyclopaedia to figure out this explanation when I read the first sentence. Iliac crests are those parts of your hipbones jutting out at the front, right?

Yup, you can feel sort of diagonal (pointing inward/down) pieces of your ilium - that's what we call the hip bones. In the back, you can feel the top ridge of your ilium, although they don't stick out like that so you have to poke yourself. They're up a little higher than your hipbones, and it shoulder feel like a horizontal shelf. You can dig your fingers into you back muscles at your waist, and little lower... and then you hit your ilium.

FlowerHair
May 17th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I measure it as where I can feel my hipbones.
Tailbone to me, is in the middle of my butt. Classic is the crease between butt and leg...

KaeleyAnne
May 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hip length hair for me is where I can feel my hip bones on my sides. So, if I were to put my hands on my hips, I would be able feel my hair covering my thumbs.

rhubarbarin
May 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I always thought it was the widest part of your body. Your lower body, that is.

The widest part of my body is the bottom of my bum.. right above classic.

I'll feel like I'm at hip length when my hair is touching the back of my hip bones. My front hip bones (iliac) are a couple inches lower than that..

MusingFrog
May 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I have always thought of hip length as the length at which your hair reaches the top of you hips. You can tell where your hips are by feeling for the bones.

Starr
May 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
This is why I didn't even bother with saying hip length. . . I just waited until my hair moved past it to tailbone, before claiming a new length.

Chamomilemaiden
May 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM

For me hip was always the widest part of lower body.... I consider my hair to be at waist, but according to LHC my longest strands are already at hip length :joy: when dry, an the longest hairs just about to reach tailbone when wet.

:) ... that sounds nice :gabigrin:

FrannyG
May 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't say that hip length is where the widest part of your body is for hair length purposes. So many woman deposit their weight in places much lower than the actual hip bone area. That would be the correct place to measure your hips for clothesmaking purposes, or when you take your physical measurements. That part of the body is very arbitrary for hair purposes though, as it can change with a weight gain or loss of even 5 pounds.

Belt length for women is also meaningless. 10 years ago belt length was pretty close to waist, and now it is often much lower than hip-bone length.

One thing that never changes is bone placement, so I've always believed that when talking about hip-length hair, we're talking about when the hair reaches the hipbones. Like KaeleyAnne, I would call it hip length when it reaches the top of the sides of the hip bones.

Saranne772
May 20th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I just waited til I was defos at hip and claimed it. Only by then I was at tb haha!

Cichelle
May 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Hip length to me is when the hair reaches the top of the actual hip bones.

Amara
May 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hip bones is by far the most logical, yes. I think I'll do belt length, too, though... which is only meaningful in terms of MY length, rather than comparing it to others...

hurricane_gia
May 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah, if I measured it off of the widest part of my body it would be at mid-thigh. I gots me some serious saddlebags!

I'm calling it "hips" when it is level to my hip bones. I'll be there in another three inches . . . Maybe by August. :-)