PDA

View Full Version : Celebration or Yemen Henna?

xfan
July 22nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
Hi there,

I am attempting my first Henna and am not sure if I should go with Yemen or Celebration and was wondering if anyone could help make the better choice. I plan on doing a 100g of Henna with Amla and 200g of Indigo. I am trying to get as close to a dark chocolate brown as possible. My main concern is to avoid red highlights as much as possible and that brings me back to my main questions regarding Celebration or Yemen. Would the higher lawsone content in Celebration increase the chance of red highlights? Would Yemen have less red? Or will it not matter with the Indigo and Amla mixed in. I am also trying to cover 20% gray and thats why I was initially thinking about celebration to get those stubborn grays.

Any advice would be much appreciated,
Thanks!

Alvrodul
July 23rd, 2010, 01:17 AM
The special thing with Celebration and Purity henna is the laboratory-confirmed lawsone-content.
I am usig Purity, which has 2.3 % lawsone content to Celebration's 3.4 %. My hair is light brown/dark blonde originally, and on me the Purity henna gives a rich, auburn color - it is not really orangey, except for just after hennaing, before oxidizing.
To cover grey, I expect that the higher the Lawsone content, the better the results will be.
I use straight henna, so I can't advise you on indigo or amla.

This is probably the best picture of what the color is like on me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5879&pictureid=76917

CopperHead
July 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I have been using the Celebration henna and it is the holy grail of hennas for me. I finally have ruby red hair just like I wanted. :cheese: If you want copper tones, this isn't the henna for you. Henna always leaves a reddish highlight, even with indigo. Achieving chocolate brown might not be possible. I only use pure henna, so I am not the expert in brown shades. Maybe someone else can post a solution.

lastnite
July 24th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Not sure on the yemen or celebration.. higher dye content is supposed to color dye resistant grays better, so it's something you'll have to try and see how it works on your hair. if you aren't worried about the greys then I don't think it matters since you are going for brown.

for getting to brown you can take a look at these mixes to get an idea, http://www.mehandi.com/shop/brunette/index.html

Maybe the indigo users will reply, but I think henna always has a orangey glow in the sun.

Alvrodul
July 24th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I have been using the Celebration henna and it is the holy grail of hennas for me. I finally have ruby red hair just like I wanted. :cheese: If you want copper tones, this isn't the henna for you. Henna always leaves a reddish highlight, even with indigo. Achieving chocolate brown might not be possible. I only use pure henna, so I am not the expert in brown shades. Maybe someone else can post a solution.
I am planning on switching to Celebration as soon as I have used up all my Purity henna;)

little_cherry
July 25th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I use Yemeni and get a lovely ruby colour...check out my albums. :)

CopperHead
July 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I am planning on switching to Celebration as soon as I have used up all my Purity henna;)

You will love it. Yemen is 2.4% lawsome and Celebration is 3.4%. The mud is so silky and easy to use too. My white roots match so much better now without having to henna every two weeks. I can go longer now. The color is amazing. No more orange. :D

Ashley0507
July 25th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I am glad you asked. I think I am going to go ahead and order the Celebration :)

Good luck with your decision!

Meli1980
August 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
I like the Celebration from Mehendi as well. I have med - dark brown hair and it give a nice rich auburn. But to go coppery I'm gonna start lightening my roots the apply henna.

glossyshine
August 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM

Celebration is also the Holy Grail for me! I love it.

I did an 80/20 indigo/henna on the gray clusters at my temples and got a deep, deep, deep coffee brown with no red. The key was to leave the mix on for only 90 minutes. Longer than that, and the indigo dies while the henna lives on and on.

MandyBeth
August 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Celebration is REALLY strong in it's ability to dye. And it goes RED. Like ruby red. On skin, it's very nearly black.

With a lower dye henna and indigo mix, my FMIL has a kind of ruby brown color. Looks great on her! But it's still pretty red.

Eolan
June 8th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I have been on the lookout for a henna that is DARK and RED. I don't want any orange, and I have heard that it's just not possible to avoid with henna. But Celebration sounds like a wonder! I think I have to order a sample size and do a strand test. :)