PDA

View Full Version : Fingering my hair

Elarea
May 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I constantly "smooth" pieces of my hair. I usually take about a1/2 inch strand from the underside of my head and then run my fingers over it smoothing it out (most the ends) until I am satisfied with the texture, then I will grab another piece and start over. I do this when I am thinking (I am a computer programmer so I sit and think a lot) or when I am watching TV or when I am nervous. I was wondering if this is bad or good for my hair because if it's bad I want to stop!

Thanks for any input!!

Anje
May 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
It probably could cause excess wear and tear, longterm, but it might be easy enough to make this a little more constructive. What if you got some sebum on your fingers from your scalp, then smoothed it over the section? You'd be moisturizing your hair a little while thinking.

Dvips
May 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
If you are doing this very gently and don't run through snags, then it should be fine. However, Anje's idea sounds brilliant, if it wouldn't leave your hair to slicked/oiled/whatever looking for work.

eadwine
May 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
*comes in, eyes wide*

Oh my god I had TOTALLY the wrong idea when I saw that title. :lol: :lol: Sorry, couldn't help but giggle

Faepirate
May 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
*comes in, eyes wide*

Oh my god I had TOTALLY the wrong idea when I saw that title. :lol: :lol: Sorry, couldn't help but giggle

Eheh.. ohgod. *facepalm*

Some people........ ;) :D

I *ahem* finger my hair a lot as well, and have never noticed any adverse effects :-) I smooth my ends a lot. I find it calming.

DrkAngel
May 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM
OMG I do that all the time too! Seriously, it's like a vice I can't quit. :lol:
Mostly I do it to detangle those dreadlocks-to-be that form in the nape area (yeah, anyone who tells me straight hair tangles more then curly can bite me in the ass :p) but apart from the fact that it breaks the curls, the only problem I see is that let's face it, my hands are not always freshly washed when I put them in my hair. But damage? Not if I'm gentle.

Elarea
May 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
OMG I do that all the time too! Seriously, it's like a vice I can't quit. :lol:
Mostly I do it to detangle those dreadlocks-to-be that form in the nape area (yeah, anyone who tells me straight hair tangles more then curly can bite me in the ass :p) but apart from the fact that it breaks the curls, the only problem I see is that let's face it, my hands are not always freshly washed when I put them in my hair. But damage? Not if I'm gentle.

That's exactly what I do! I find it quite soothing, I'm also really gentle and never pull it if snags.

Elarea
May 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM
*comes in, eyes wide*

HAHA! :p

You know, after I posted it I read the title again and thought it might look wrong, but I don't know how to change existing posts so I had to leave it! I guess it will get more people to read the post!

Elarea
May 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
It probably could cause excess wear and tear, longterm, but it might be easy enough to make this a little more constructive. What if you got some sebum on your fingers from your scalp, then smoothed it over the section? You'd be moisturizing your hair a little while thinking.

That's a great idea!

florenonite
May 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
*comes in, eyes wide*

Glad I'm not the only one XP

As far as the topic at hand, I'd imagine if you're gentle you should be fine.

Elarea
May 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
If you are doing this very gently and don't run through snags, then it should be fine. However, Anje's idea sounds brilliant, if it wouldn't leave your hair to slicked/oiled/whatever looking for work.

It is brilliant! I work from home so I don't care how I look :p

freznow
May 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM
eadwine and florenonite.... Somehow, I would have expected that from you two ;)

This is sorta what I do for 'grooming' (NW) it helps spread sebum down, and as long as your gentle it shouldn't be damaging at all.

psvzum
May 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I do the same thing!!! It's a stress reliever for me and I often don't realize I'm doing it.

yogachic
May 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I found the title sounding rather funny myself. I twirl my hair alot, usually on the left side while driving or sitting home watching tv.

HairColoredHair
May 16th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I find when I do this my hair gets oilier faster, but no harm in that, really.

AJoifulNoise
May 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I used to fiddle with the ends behind my back in social situations (I have anxiety issues). I mostly wear my hair up now, so that's not as much of a problem. But, I will play with the ends if my hair is in a braid.

C_Bookworm
May 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I switched from fiddling with the ends to massaging my scalp. I actually have been able to measure more growth since then so i guess fiddling with it can pay off

spidermom
May 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I don't see any harm, unless you find yourself pulling hairs out; that would be bad. I would avoid doing it around other people. For some reason, when I'm with somebody who is constantly fidding around with their hair, it makes me feel bothered.