PDA

View Full Version : Heatless curls?

chelseamichelle
July 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
I looked for a thread like this but couldn't find one, so sorry if it's already been done :S

So now that i've stopped using heat completely, i've been trying to find ways to style my hair and I haven't been successful in curling it :( My hair is just too long for pin curls or anything like that so i was wondering if you guys had any ideas? How do you curl your hair without heat?

Thanks in advance!

In2wishin
July 22nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I use these: www.amazon.com/Conair-Bamboo-Soft-Curlers-12-Pack/dp/B00152VJUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1279817299&sr=8-1

Since my hair takes a curl real well I wait until my hair is mostly dry, then put them in overnight (very comfortable to sleep in). To keep the ends from being really fuzzy I place the curler about half way down the hair section and start loosely wrapping my hair from that point to the end so the ends are on top. Then I roll it to my head and secure it. In the morning I let it down and finger comb my hair. The curls stay for about 2 days.

nayver
Hi! My hair is a little bit shorter than yours, and I pin curl my hair with great results. I've tried with foam rollers but I prefer the wave of a pin curl.

Capybara
Have you tried rag curls, or bun curls?

Here is an article on how to do snake waves using pieces of fabric: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

And Loepsie's fully-rolled sock bun gives pretty curls when unravelled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

ETA: For Loepsie's method, she has a newer video explaining how to get the curls :) http://www.youtube.com/user/loepsie?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/6/3FV-YO46E8Y

Also a Torrin Page classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqekBNSEYA&feature=PlayList&p=603F6B5F3CD40BA8&playnext=1&index=1

I like using large sponge rollers as well, they work wonderfully on my hair :)
Hope this helps! :blossom:

Sammich
July 22nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Have you tried beetbutt bun waves? :D Mine usually turn out awesome! I sleep on it over night and my curlies/wavies turn out like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5609&pictureid=73647

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5609&pictureid=73648

It isn't too much hassle because it's all of your hair in one bun, or two if you want more wavies... sometimes the curls can be unpredictable though, so I usually do it on a day I'm not going out of the house... (Not very good when they DO look fantastic though!)
Just throwing an idea out. :)

Bear in mind, I have quite alot of layers; so your results may be different.
I only shook my head in the first picture, the second picture was right out of the bun.

chelseamichelle
July 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
That really does look nice sammich

chelseamichelle
July 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
I use these: www.amazon.com/Conair-Bamboo-Soft-Curlers-12-Pack/dp/B00152VJUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1279817299&sr=8-1

Since my hair takes a curl real well I wait until my hair is mostly dry, then put them in overnight (very comfortable to sleep in). To keep the ends from being really fuzzy I place the curler about half way down the hair section and start loosely wrapping my hair from that point to the end so the ends are on top. Then I roll it to my head and secure it. In the morning I let it down and finger comb my hair. The curls stay for about 2 days.

Thanks! I've never tried this before

Mairéad
July 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I do bun curls that always end up really bouncy on me. What I do is scrunch up wet hair into a bun, or if you want tighter curls, two, three, ect; and secure with a no-snag hair scrunchie. Then I wrap my head in a scarf and go to bed. Then I take them out in the morning. Bam, curls.

Though it's nice to not be doing heat damage, I do it this way mainly out of laziness to do it another way!

Rivanariko
July 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
I've been really successful with rag curls, and I think the first time I did them I was around your length. I can still do them at my current length as well. There are pictures in my albums. I actually have had better luck with rag curls than I ever did with heat styling. My hair just hates heat!

I usually put them in when my hair is almost dry, and put some aloe vera gel in to help it hold. Mine lasted all day with no problem.

clichepithet
July 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Have you seen this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51944)?

serious
July 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Have you seen this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51944)?

Yes, the Rag Bun! :cheese:

Bluegrass Babe
July 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Yes the snake waves and the rag bun!!

Both can be done with $1 bandanas from wal-mart or with hand towels. (Just don't fold bandanas in a triangle for snake waves or they come out uneven.)

Though towels are really absorbent, but make sure hair is not too wet or they hold the water and you'll wake up to still damp hair instead of waves.

countryhopper
July 22nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
*sock (or rag) curls
*snake waves (again use socks or rags)
* curlformers. they make BEAUTIFUL ringlets, but I don't think they are hair-friendly enough to use daily.

UltraBella
July 22nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
My favorites are Conair Spiral Curlers and the Caruso Mollecular Hairsetter.
The Conair ones are long bendable rods and I used them to get the curls in my sig pic.
The big waves & curls in my avatar are from the Caruso.
I love them both !

glossyshine
July 23rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
The Conair ones are long bendable rods and I used them to get the curls in my sig pic.
I love them both !

The Caruso Hair Setter!! That brings back memories.

My father will buy ANYTHING sold on TV, and I mean anything. Every now and then, my mom calls to offer me really strange items, knife sets, potato chip makers, all sorts of oddities, and it turns out my Dad's bought so much stuff advertised on TV that they're running out of space in the kitchen.

Anyhoo, fortunately the buy-stuff-off-TV impulse is not genetic. Except for the Caruso hair setter, which I just could not resist. I bought it, used it, and my hair looked like a giant cabbage rose had exploded on my head. I mean, I looked completely ridiculous.

So I rushed to my hair-dresser, and, after he got through laughing, he gave me his home phone number and told me that if ever again I was gripped by the urge to buy a hair product off TV, I was to call him -- anytime, morning, noon, or night-- so he could make sure it was really right for my hair, since I'd obviously gone completely wrong with the Caruso.

Your hair, however, looks amazing.

UltraBella
July 23rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
Glossyshine, the Caruso is very popular, but there is a learning curve. It's too bad you gave up on it after just one try, it's amazing once you figure out how much steam to use and how long to leave them in. Plus, it's just warm steam, so there's no real way to have a major catastrophe. First time I used it I looked like a poodle. Too much steam :) Once I got the hang of it, I was hooked. My hair has never looked, or felt, better.
I never knew they sold them on tv, that's an infomercial I would like to see ! You can buy them at beauty supply stores or online. I have had three of them, one for every decade of my life so far :)

GuinevereMay
July 23rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
What about pin curls?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4815777125_ac9e0d9655.jpg

julliams
July 23rd, 2010, 02:26 AM
I've heard about curlformers but I've not yet tried them. Still trying to decide if I want to shell out $$$ for them.

Bluegrass Babe
July 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Curlformers are not hair friendly? No one ever mentioned that in a review. Why are they not friendly? Is the mesh hard or snaggy?

GuinevereMay - I love those waves! Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do those with long hair?

UltraBella - I have seen spiral rods at Sally's but I can't understand how to wrap the hair and how to keep the stick in the hair without it just falling out and the hair unwinding.

JesusFreak88
July 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Are there any tips to get hair to curl at all. I have fine, stick strait hair that I can't ever get to curl.

UltraBella
July 23rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Bluegrass, they are bendable and soooooo easy ! You just wrap your hair on the rod from the bottom up and then bend each end over towards the middle. They are quite secure and work really well.

Bluegrass Babe
July 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks, UltraBella. My idea was all wrong. I was thinking "U" shape not "staple" shape.

glossyshine
July 24th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Glossyshine, the Caruso is very popular, but there is a learning curve. It's too bad you gave up on it after just one try, it's amazing once you figure out how much steam to use and how long to leave them in. Plus, it's just warm steam, so there's no real way to have a major catastrophe. First time I used it I looked like a poodle. Too much steam :) Once I got the hang of it, I was hooked. My hair has never looked, or felt, better.
I never knew they sold them on tv, that's an infomercial I would like to see ! You can buy them at beauty supply stores or online. I have had three of them, one for every decade of my life so far :)

I haven't seen that infomercial in a few years, so they've probably stopped. It was great, though.

I have to say, you're really tempting me. My hairdresser thought using steam and foam rollers on my hair texture was just the wrong approach. But (and in some ways this is why I loved him so much) he was very old school. He was the only hairdresser who ever roller set my hair and put me under a hood dryer-- no salon wants to take the time to do that anymore.

Hmm...

UltraBella
July 24th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Okay, Glossyshine, just for you I am going to use my Caruso and post pics. It might take me a day or two, but it will be worth the wait ! It seriously makes my hair look awesome. And my daughter's hair as well, and her hair is quite fine in texture.

countryhopper
July 24th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Curlformers are not hair friendly? No one ever mentioned that in a review. Why are they not friendly? Is the mesh hard or snaggy?

First off, the top pand bottom of the tube that your hair goes in is made of rubber. So it likes to grip hair and I feel like it pulls it. Especially when you take the hair out of the curler, you have to pull the curler off, and that rubber grabs the whole way down.

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen the way curlformers are used or not, but you stick a long plastic hook up through the mesh roller. the hook itself has seams. If your hair is not wet enough or if you attempt to use too big of a section of hair, the hair slips out of the hook area while inside the tube and pulls. And snarls. You have to push the hook back up, unwind your hair from the hook, and try again.

That said, the curls are beautiful :). Maybe a coarse, thick haired person could get away with frequent usage, but not a baby-fine haired person with easily-damaged hair.

Lassie
July 24th, 2010, 06:11 AM
First off, the top pand bottom of the tube that your hair goes in is made of rubber. So it likes to grip hair and I feel like it pulls it. Especially when you take the hair out of the curler, you have to pull the curler off, and that rubber grabs the whole way down.

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen the way curlformers are used or not, but you stick a long plastic hook up through the mesh roller. the hook itself has seams. If your hair is not wet enough or if you attempt to use too big of a section of hair, the hair slips out of the hook area while inside the tube and pulls. And snarls. You have to push the hook back up, unwind your hair from the hook, and try again.

That said, the curls are beautiful :). Maybe a coarse, thick haired person could get away with frequent usage, but not a baby-fine haired person with easily-damaged hair.

Hiya !

Just wanted to chime in and say that if you squeeze the end of the curlformer open before you remove it, your wont even touch the rubber as it slides out, squeeze the rubber open (by pushing the sides towards each other) and hold your hair at the roots as you pull the curlformer off...its all in the technique - i use curlformers and have never lost a strand of hair because of of them (i watched about a dozen you tube videos)

Nothing gives me curls as good as the curlformer does...though i admit i am a tad lazy with putting them in!

countryhopper
July 24th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Thanks, Lassie!

Yes, I squeezed the rubber part last time I out them in. I think it helped a lot, but I still think they tend to catch. Maybe this is still due to using too much hair?

Have you had any problems with the hook tangleing?

I do agree about the amazing curls!! they don't last long with the humidity, though :(

Beatrice
July 24th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I love them both !

I've always loved those pictures! Your hair is amazing.

I'm buying a Caruso myself. I've done a lot of research, and I decided to purchase the old model that requires salt. I'm guessing it softens the water, because new models don't need salt, and they're infamous for breaking down. My new city has very hard water, so I'm not taking any chances.

I have some bendy spiral curlers, and it took me a while to learn how to wrap them. The "staple" bend is best for me, too--in fact, if I wrap the ends securely, I don't have to bend the bottom. Unfortunately, I've yet to find the best way to set them. If my hair is the slightest bit damp, it never seems to dry. Do you set them in dry or wet hair, and if wet, do you use a dryer? I've also considered using mousse, or some other product that will wet my hair, but dry faster than water.

Kimarie91
July 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I love them both !
Will this last all day for you? My hair seems to never hold a curl, but planning to try some methods I've seen on here.

I love your hair. Very pretty. I'm so envious of the pretty waves I see on here.

UltraBella
July 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Kimarie91, yes, they will hold for two days in my hair, so I have been really happy with the results.

Beatrice, I have had three Caruso Hairsetters and one thing to think about with the salt is the dryness. I think you are probably right about the salt softening the water, but you could always keep an inexpensive jug of filtered water on hand. The salt really dries your hair out, it is a noticeable difference.
And, the old kind was the quickest to break for me. The unit housing the motor was not build as solidly as the newer ones. I accidentally pushed it off my counter onto the floor and it cracked. I have dropped my new one four times and it is just fine.
Just a thought........ good luck with whatever you purchase !

Beatrice
July 24th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Kimarie91, yes, they will hold for two days in my hair, so I have been really happy with the results.

Beatrice, I have had three Caruso Hairsetters and one thing to think about with the salt is the dryness. I think you are probably right about the salt softening the water, but you could always keep an inexpensive jug of filtered water on hand. The salt really dries your hair out, it is a noticeable difference.
And, the old kind was the quickest to break for me. The unit housing the motor was not build as solidly as the newer ones. I accidentally pushed it off my counter onto the floor and it cracked. I have dropped my new one four times and it is just fine.
Just a thought........ good luck with whatever you purchase !

I hadn't heard that before. Thanks so much for sharing! I have fairly coarse hair, and I've spent a month at LHC learning how to manage it. I definitely don't want my curlers contributing to the problem! Sounds like I'd better go for the new version.

We're going to be drinking filtered water, so maybe I won't have a problem. If even that isn't pure enough, there's always distilled water.

Lil Red Vampire
July 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Ultrabella, your hair is gorgeous! I have had two Caruso setters and I LOVE them both. I bought the first one in 1992 when you still had to use salt. It just quit working one year ago. So I got the new set and I like it even better. This one even came with a big vinyl bag to put all your rollers in.

I have even had to replace a few rollers because I just wore them out over the years and the foam started falling apart.

They make great spiral curls. I have sooo much hair though it takes so long to do this in the morning before work.

I am not dying to try the Conair spiral curlers you were talking about now that I have seen your pictures. Do you use these on dry hair and sleep on them? Please tell me your procedure as I am dying to know. LOL. Although my hair isn't even close to being as long as yours yet.

Up next, I am doing pin curls to sleep in tonight using a medication bottle to roll them! Yep! This works great as the hair doesn't slide of the one end with the cap on it so when you are rolling it up you don't have to worry about that.

restourceful
July 24th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Oh, UltraBella, please put up a tutorial and pics of how you wrap your spiral curlers. :pray: I can't seem to do it right and I'm in serious love with your siggy pic curls!

UltraBella
July 24th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks Lil Red and Restourceful !
I don't have any secrets for the spiral curlers, I just followed the directions. It was so easy. I just took a section of hair and started by wrapping my ends around the rod and then rolled it all the way to my head, folded each end towards the middle and they stayed really securely.
I did this on a day when I had let me hair air dry, then I lightly misted with a spray bottle so my hair was ever so slightly damp and I left them in for an hour, maybe a little more. I did not sleep on them and I would not recommend sleeping in them. I do not think it would be comfortable and I think it would put tension on certain hairs more than others, which could be damaging.
Does that help at all ?

restourceful
July 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I guess because I have so many different lengths in my layers, mine just don't want to roll up very nicely. I'll try again, though. Thanks for responding.

Beatrice
July 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I guess because I have so many different lengths in my layers, mine just don't want to roll up very nicely. I'll try again, though. Thanks for responding.

Layers definitely make it tricky. I have to take small sections and wrap them slowly, incorporating shorter pieces as I go.

Thanks for the tips, UltraBella. I'm sure my mistake lies in using a cheap squirt bottle. The mist isn't very fine, and I always think I need more moisture than is really necessary.

UltraBella
July 24th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I have lots of layers but now that I think about it, I guess I subconsciously lightly twist each section into a spiral so the layers are trapped. Like maybe four or five rotations per section ? I don't even think about doing it, I just always have because of my layers. I do this no matter what kind of curler I am using.
You can also start by holding the rod several inches up the hair section, then wrap the bottom several inches around the rod first and hold the ends in place while you start rolling the rod up the rest of the hair. You make that portion of hair wrap over your ends, thus holding them in place. Good grief, I wish I had time to make a video, it really is easy but to break it down step by step is hard ! Especially when it is just something I do without even thinking about it.
Hope that was semi helpful !

Lassie
July 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Lassie!

Yes, I squeezed the rubber part last time I out them in. I think it helped a lot, but I still think they tend to catch. Maybe this is still due to using too much hair?

Have you had any problems with the hook tangleing?

I do agree about the amazing curls!! they don't last long with the humidity, though :(

Yes it could be due to using too much hair....it would be tricky to get enough 'room' to pull without snagging if there was too much hair...
the hook tangling is definatly a 'too much hair' its not happened on my hair - it happened to a friends on her first go (and yes hook / mesh tangling is NOT nice)
The hook should slip through really really easily, if not its too much hair...
have you tried using aloe gel to get the curls to stay? Ive not tried it myself but will do next time....

tinti
July 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I use hair rollers with like theese
http://www.media.allerinternett.no/php/obj.phpi?o=2325095&w=187&frame=0&ee=1174381741 in damp hair. Then I go with them for a couple of hours and when I take them out I have bouncy big curls just like when I'm using the hair straightener to curl, only the ones I get from the rollers are maybe a bit messier and natural. I also get a root boost on the crown.

restourceful
July 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Tinti, do those curlers pull your hair? I have some that belonged to my Mom but ai've been a little afraid to use them since they look like the loops on velcro. i don't want to cause any damage taking them out. Do you have to use a pin to hold them?

UltraBella, that sounds like it might work better for me, the twisting of sections, I mean. I'll try that next time. Today was wash day and I put mine up into a damp cinnabun held with two spin pins. It gives me the kind of curls you have in your avatar piccy.

glossyshine
July 26th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Okay, Glossyshine, just for you I am going to use my Caruso and post pics. It might take me a day or two, but it will be worth the wait ! It seriously makes my hair look awesome. And my daughter's hair as well, and her hair is quite fine in texture.

YYYAAAAYYY!! I can't wait!

Although I do wonder if the (apparent) difference in our hair texture would make a difference in our results. I am mixed race (black/white/Indian) and have fine but rough-textured hair. So I'm trying to both curl and smooth my hair, if that makes sense.

UltraBella
July 26th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Oh, I am sooooooo trying to curl my hair and smooth it at the same time!!!!! My hair is coarse, there is no naturally shiny smooth ANYTHING going on here !
I almost curled it today with the Caruso, but it was really hot here and there was no way I was wearing my hair down......

Lil Red Vampire
July 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
YYYAAAAYYY!! I can't wait!

Although I do wonder if the (apparent) difference in our hair texture would make a difference in our results. I am mixed race (black/white/Indian) and have fine but rough-textured hair. So I'm trying to both curl and smooth my hair, if that makes sense.

Yay! I can't wait either!! And yes, I try to curl and smooth too......very thick, coarse here that really isn't straight or curly. Ugh.

Bluegrass Babe
July 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Sorry to keep up the interrogation.
UltraBella, how many rollers do you use, and are you using 1 inch sections or larger? If I try this I plan on using the largest size for large waves (I fear the poodle perm look).

Countryhopper, I did not realize they had rubber grips. Do they mention that in the infomercials? Why don't manufacturers of hair care products get rid of seams?! Would it really be that more of a hassle in the process?

Humidity makes my halo frizz and I get that fuzzy look. Maybe I should wait til winter, so far I haven't had any luck with curls.

irishlady
July 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
how about rag curls? I find those really easy to do and you can sleep with them in quite comfortably :)

countryhopper
July 27th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Countryhopper, I did not realize they had rubber grips. Do they mention that in the infomercials? Why don't manufacturers of hair care products get rid of seams?! Would it really be that more of a hassle in the process?

I don't remember reading about rubber grips on the website since I've never watched the infomercials. It does help keep the hair from slipping out, but it can pull.

I think the average consumer isn't really thinking about the damage their products can cause to their hair. I never even knew that the seams on a comb could damage hair before I came to LHC, so I'm sure most women don't think that the rubber on the curlformers or the seam on the hook (or heat from curlers/straighteners, for that matter) does as much damage as it actually does. :shrug:

UltraBella
July 28th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Oh shoot !!!! I totally spaced curling my hair, this week has just been nuts so far ! I am going to do it, I promise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * feeling guilty *

Bluegrass Babe, I do use bigger than one inch sections and I use 14 rollers, sometimes more.

UltraBella
July 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I curled my hair with the Caruso, took pics two days in a row and am posting them in a new thread called "Favorite Curls" right now :)
Sorry, Glossyshine, for taking so long !!