PDA

View Full Version : Interesting: Accidental malaria drug OD turns hair white.

Anje
July 22nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Link to story. (http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/363/4/372) Another link, reporting this. (http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/07/scienceshot-anti-malaria-drug.html)

I thought someone might find this interesting. Apparently a teenager was taking the antimalarial drug chloroquine preventively for a trip to Costa Rica, but took 500mg/day instead of 500mg/week, and the hair that grew during that period was white. Her growth since then appears to be back to its normal blond (perhaps a bit darker, but that might be a difference in sun bleaching since she returned from a tropical climate).

Hopefully one or both links work. I'm at the university as I post this, so I might get some content requiring registration.

Gumball
July 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Wow that's crazy. I wonder if the manufacturers realized that was a possibility when creating it.

"WARNING: May turn hair growth white if taken above the prescribed dose for a long period of time."

At least she didn't get malaria!

Laurenji
July 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
That's fascinating. I'm just a little worried about the practicality of that sort of thing for actually bleaching your hair, since taking 7x the normal dose of medicine for too long (no matter what medicine it is) would probably have some serious side effects in the long term, I'm guessing. While I'd love blonde hair, I'd be a little leery of overdosing to that amount on something.

Caldonia Sun
July 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
This is a very powerful drug, also used to treat lyme co-infections. I'm not surprised it would do that.

kwaniesiam
July 22nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Imagine the possibilities if they invented a drug that changed the color of the growth of your hair :D

Anje
July 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
That's fascinating. I'm just a little worried about the practicality of that sort of thing for actually bleaching your hair, since taking 7x the normal dose of medicine for too long (no matter what medicine it is) would probably have some serious side effects in the long term, I'm guessing. While I'd love blonde hair, I'd be a little leery of overdosing to that amount on something.
I don't think anyone's advocating doing this specifically for the hair color change. Though it might lead to drugs that can do that without the harsh side effects. Right now, it's more of a novelty...

TrudieCat
July 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Wow, really interesting.... Thanks for posting.

Sammich
July 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Woah, I take a 'similar' drug... err? Hydrochloroquine everyday(For lupus), I'm not even sure if it's the same, but it's also an anti malarial drug, I don't notice any whites! :p (Not very good with drugzies. LOL.)

Jasperine
July 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Imagine the possibilities if they invented a drug that changed the color of the growth of your hair :D

Look THIS is something. Someone could make a lot of money if they managed to create this! :)

Juneii
July 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Although I want a full head of white hair, I don't think I am willing to take the chances of ODing on drugs. I hope there aren't any bad side affects. Why did she OD on the drugs anyway, shouldn't the bottle say how much should be taken?

Phexlyn
July 22nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
Interesting find - I hope she doesn't have negative effects because she took too much of that drug.

Ooh, can ich have zebra-striped hair in blonde, blue and green? :D

Crysania
July 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
really interesting, thanx for posting this !

freckles
July 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
how strange. thanks for posting :)

Alvrodul
July 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
WOW!

I think I would decline if I were offered a drug to change my hair color. I sill use medicines that are necessary, like antihistamines for my allergies, and paracetamol for my occasional bouts of migraine. Besides, the thing I use for my hair color (henna) makes it darker, which suits me very well indeed.

chipzahoy
July 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
That's crazy! It sort of looks like a glossy hair shine line, if you don't look too hard.

chipzahoy
July 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Can't edit, but I wanted to add: I can't imagine finding an internal/pharmaceutical method of changing hair color very practical. With dye, the effect is instant, but with this sort of thing you'd have to wait for growth to see the change in color. I guess you could dye your existing hair the color that you plan to grow, and then go from there.

It all feels very science fictiony!

Oskimosa
July 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Interesting link! Not that I can see anyone rushing out to do it on purpose. But it does have interesting implications, as I think the OP intended to point out.

I'd be all over that.

Can't edit, but I wanted to add: I can't imagine finding an internal/pharmaceutical method of changing hair color very practical. With dye, the effect is instant, but with this sort of thing you'd have to wait for growth to see the change in color. I guess you could dye your existing hair the color that you plan to grow, and then go from there.

It all feels very science fictiony!

I can! Dyeing hair is usually damaging. A drug that changes the color could prospectively not be damaging, if it only changes the color and not the structure. Also, if you want a color long-term, dyeing can get to be a tiresome chore. You'd never have to worry about roots! I'm telling you, if I could grow blue hair out of my head, I'd be SOLD.

chipzahoy
July 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
I can! Dyeing hair is usually damaging. A drug that changes the color could prospectively not be damaging, if it only changes the color and not the structure. Also, if you want a color long-term, dyeing can get to be a tiresome chore. You'd never have to worry about roots! I'm telling you, if I could grow blue hair out of my head, I'd be SOLD.

Blue?? Ok I take it back! I'd want purple though. If they could manufacture all colors of the spectrum it would be really fun. :)

ibleedlipstick
July 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM

ME TOO!

I want blue hair again....

ericthegreat
July 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah I'll pass on the dangerous and possibly life threatening side effects. ODing on any kind of drug is no joke. I'm glad that that young woman is okay, but the fact that ODing on such a high dosage of that drug can literally cause your hair to turn white give me the chills!

I'll take good old fashioned bleach and chemical dyes any day over a drug that could cause adverse side effects/ possibly even death.

linda g
July 23rd, 2010, 06:15 AM
Somewhat related, but in the other direction. My dad's hair was salt and pepper, probably about 80 - 90% silvers. He had a heart attack and subsequent heart surgery. He has found that one of the medications he has to take the rest of his life is making his hair turn dark again! We aren't thrilled about it, since he had an amazing silver head of hair before. I don't know exactly which of his medications is doing it, but it isn't worth having a heart attack beforehand to get that effect!