PDA

View Full Version : Securing Braids

doodlesmart
March 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
How do you secure your braids?

I find braids very comfortable, but often don't wear them because they are boring. Currently, the only thing I have to secure them are hair nylons. I know some folks can just braid right to the end and have it stay and that looks really cool, but my hair unravels halfway up immediately if I don't secure it and the rest soon follows.

So, what do you use to hold your braids?

capelli lunghi
March 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM
How do you secure your braids?

I find braids very comfortable, but often don't wear them because they are boring. Currently, the only thing I have to secure them are hair nylons. I know some folks can just braid right to the end and have it stay and that looks really cool, but my hair unravels halfway up immediately if I don't secure it and the rest soon follows.

So, what do you use to hold your braids?

I just use a hair safe ponytail holder.. If you find braids are boring.. you can try switching it up a bit with different braids.. multiple braids.. or different placements.. Sometimes I braid only a few times and leave the rest loose.. so I have a really long tail left over.. A Herringbone braid is simple.. but looks interesting!

Koskaan
March 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I sometimes use ribbons; velvet, satin or others to dress up my braid. You can find those at fabric stores, for example. Satin (or other slippery material) ribbons can slide out of your hair. You can avoid it by braiding the ribbon in a few "turns" (or weaves, I don't know what to call them) before securing the braid.

I'm not sure how clear my instructions were... Hopefully you get something out of them! :flower:

florenonite
March 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I just use those Goody "Ouchless" elastics.

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I usually use a hair nylon too but sometimes an elastic without the metal.

spidermom
March 11th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I braid all the way to the end, then take about 2 inches of wet ribbon (wet because it clings better) and wrap it around and around just above the tip-end. Then I put a Goody ouchless elastic over the ribbon. If I don't use the ribbon, my hair will kink/bend at the point where I put on the elastic.

eadwine
March 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Those toweling elastics, if'n'when I wear a braid.

Melisande
March 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Tiny transparent silicone rings. they are virtually invisible and hold very nicely. I buy them in batches in ethnic shops.

BlndeInDisguise
March 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I just braid all the way to the end and leave it, but I only wear a braid to bed. It does come unraveled a little, but not bad.

Anlbe
March 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM
ribbon, ribbon, ribbon, ribbon.

Silk about half a cm in width matt ribbon with no finish on the edge. Does no damage at all, comes in lots of colours and can be plaited into the braid if you want to make it a bit unusual. Go twice around the braid and it's very secure. If I'm doing a pony tail type things I go round a couple more times. Haven't had an elastic band or anything anywhere near my hair in ten years they caused my hair to break alot. If I have to use a band I get lycra ones and if those are not available (they seem very difficult to find, and lots of bands don't put on what they are made of) I use the top of a pop sock - very stylish but it tend to only be in the gym.

Feisty Redhead
March 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I just use ouchless hair ties. I know some people hate them and find them damaging. But my hair's pretty coarse and they work for me.

I also agree if you find braids boring to try different braids, or braid in a pretty strand of ribbon to play it up a little. :)

Stevy
March 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I use towelling elastics. I've got a couple of pretty elastics with crystal dangles or fabric flowers on, but I don't wear them much - I always worry I'm going to hit someone in the face with them if I turn round too quickly!

Smokie
March 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Count me among those who wind up with breakage if ouchless elastics are used tightly or often. I've taken to seriously limiting myself on how often I use them.

When I braid my hair it's generally either tucked under if I'm going out, or held with a scrunchie if I'm staying in. Sometimes I'll use one of those teensy invisible silicone ring thingies on the end of a braid. I don't seem to wind up with breakage from those provided I'm superduperextra careful removing them. I can rarely get a ribbon to secure a braid though.

Now someone tell me... What on earth are hair nylons? And what are towelling elastics?

Edit: VVV Bobble? What's a bobble? VVV

jojo
March 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
when i wear a braid during the day, i use a hair friendly bobble, at night i just secure it with a bit of coconut oil, depends how restless i am as to if it unravels

Wavelength
March 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Another one here for towelling elastics. They're very soft and hair-friendly, and they don't slide off the end. Plus they come in all sorts of colours.

Smokie: Towelling elastics are small stretchy hair-bands that look similar to regular hair elastics, except they're made of towelling material that's kind of knitted into a band. The "elastic" part of the name is a bit misleading, as I don't think they actually contain any elastic at all. You can usually find them wherever they sell hair accessories for kids, as often they're marketed to young girls because of all the colours.

khyricat
March 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I only braid during the day (well I may leave the braid without anything on the end under my sleep cap, but...) I use hairsafe scrunchies on the ends.. and I only braid when my hair is dirty/greasy looking for some reason, or when I want an intricate style, but a lot of those use fancy clips and tucked under ends, or bobby pins on the ends. I do a lot of multiple braids, dutch braids, folded up and tucked under braids, it all depends on what I'm looking for.. mostly though, those are for fancy dress, or a braided bun works too, for day to day, I tend to just put it up in a quick bun unless it is greasy looking.

Magdalene
March 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I use those little clear silicone ponytail holders. I've never had a problem with them, unlike the elastics.

jtl45
March 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I use safe scrunchies during day and wear my hair down at bed!
Jim

frizzinator
March 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Anlbe, how do you tie-off your ribbon? If I put a knot in it, I have to cut it out and I'm afraid I'll cut my hair. If I put a bow or slip-knot in it, it eventually comes loose.

Smokie, toweling elastics might be a British term for terry-cloth elastics. I think they also use the term bobble for any ponytail elastic, but I think of a bobble as a ponytail elastic with something pretty on it....such as a couple of round plastic balls. Nylons, I think are a reference to the hair-safe ponytail holders which look like they curl up along the outside edges. You can buy them or make them from actual stockings. I use infant or little girl's tights because they have small legs, and cut the legs across in 1" strips, so that I have a bunch of circles.... the cut edges will curl up and it will not look 1" wide.

florenonite
March 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Smokie: In Britain 'bobble' is just a generic word for hair elastic, rather than specifically one with pretty bobbles on it.

Xandergrammy
March 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I use whatever tickles my fancy at the time. I have ouchless hair fasteners, scrunchies, those tiny little clear plastic thingies, yarn, ribbon, you name it. I like diversity. :grin:

jojo
March 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Anlbe, how do you tie-off your ribbon? If I put a knot in it, I have to cut it out and I'm afraid I'll cut my hair. If I put a bow or slip-knot in it, it eventually comes loose.

Smokie, toweling elastics might be a British term for terry-cloth elastics. I think they also use the term bobble for any ponytail elastic, but I think of a bobble as a ponytail elastic with something pretty on it....such as a couple of round plastic balls. Nylons, I think are a reference to the hair-safe ponytail holders which look like they curl up along the outside edges. You can buy them or make them from actual stockings. I use infant or little girl's tights because they have small legs, and cut the legs across in 1" strips, so that I have a bunch of circles.... the cut edges will curl up and it will not look 1" wide.

this is correct a bobble is the US equivalent of an elastic, we also call a barrette a slide!

hrimfaxi
March 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I just use the hair elastics that are like panythose material... hair nylons?
Occasionally I use ribbons, but even if I braid them in, they have a tendency to escape.

Anje
March 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I usually use one of those nylon-like elastics. You know, like Scunci's "Hair Hosiery", but I get colorful ones at the dollar store.

At night, or if I'm wrapping the braid into a bun or something, I just wet the last 6-8 inches and braid it wet til it gets thin, then twist the ends a little. It comes undone a little, but not a lot.

Anlbe
March 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Dear frizzinator,

I tie the ribbons with a slip knot and then put the slipping end through the loop. You can essentially do the same thing with bows if you like, just pop each loose end through the loop. Very occasionally they tighten up and take a while to undo but most of the time it just stops the knot from coming undone. There's probably a proper name for this but I'm afraid I've forgotten it. Hope you find this useful.

tiny_teesha
March 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM
if i braid to the very end (at home) i use the clear silicone ouchless ones, but i break them as i take them out. if i'm going out those small towel or no metal ones from fabric, but they loose their elasticity fast. That is really all i use, i couldn't use a scrunchie it would fall out, the end of my plaits are like less then .5mm thick!! haha.
Um, i also use the non slip woven covered rubber/elastic type ones that are strong and tight for the base of the plait.
Mira-chan wrote a method of useing ribbon to tie at the base of the braid then at the end you twist it round to secure. You can ask her if you like, i did it once it worked.

Gumball
March 11th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Because I wear braids a lot I realized how much I've been being mean to my ends by constantly using a hairtie and not necessarily tying it very loose. To combat that I just secure my braid with a small claw clip nowadays. It works just fine for me.

SearMeCarefully
March 12th, 2008, 12:11 AM
metal free hair bands usually. You can try mixing up your braids, wearing them up or twisted or learn some new ones so you don't feel so plain jane with them too

sapphire-o
March 12th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I use those little clear poly bands if I want it to be secure. Or hair hosiery if I'm not going out. Only those would stay on my hair. Other elastics or scrunchies would just slip off if it touched anything.

FrannyG
March 12th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I use Scunci ouchless bands. I don't like the "invisible" silicone ties, because they always get stuck in my hair.

I like to vary the placement of my ties from day to day so that I'm not putting constant wear and tear in the same place.

Kittee
March 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I meant to wear a braid today but work up in a sleepy stooper and just did a half up. I need to do something more interesting tomorrow. I also need to drop the goodies ouchless. I did not realize they were damaging to our hair.

harley mama
March 12th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I tie mine in a knot at the end... I'm just teasing guys!

I use a metal free, hair friendly band. I don't remember what it is called.
It's not elastic, more like hose type fabric. I like them. I got mine at CVS.

podo
March 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I will confess I didn't actually read all of the responses, but if you like braiding then check out the Braided Coil style.

If it's not on the new boards yet, you can view it here:
http://public.fotki.com/plotchick/personal/hair/instructions-braide/braidedcoil1.html

You can do all kinds of crazy things with braids once you start playing around. Pin them to your head! Curl them into a bun! Try different kinds of braids! Go crazy!!

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I will confess I didn't actually read all of the responses, but if you like braiding then check out the Braided Coil style.

If it's not on the new boards yet, you can view it here:
http://public.fotki.com/plotchick/personal/hair/instructions-braide/braidedcoil1.html

You can do all kinds of crazy things with braids once you start playing around. Pin them to your head! Curl them into a bun! Try different kinds of braids! Go crazy!!Oh those are great instructions Podo! I just need some patience to do it and a nice place to go! :) Beautiful style!!!

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
The only way my hair WON'T unbraid is if I don't comb it before I braid it, the little bit of tanglyness seem to help it stick.

I use elastics or nylon myself, but I think I'm going to get some ribbons from all the suggestions here!

walkinglady
March 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I usually use a hair bunjii. Lately I have been using an itty bitty jaw clip to hold the end. It is so small I can hardly see it in my hair. I like the jaw clip, no wrapping!

TammySue
March 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I wash my old tights and cut them into strips for hair ties. I have others, store bought, but I reach for these the most! They are so gentle on the hair.

(I believe it was our BeeLady that gave me this idea!)

Pegasus
March 21st, 2008, 10:48 PM
Using ribbons underneath the elastics....what a fabulous idea! Never thought of that before.

Now I just need to figure out how to braid my own hair. WHY does that seem to be so impossible?