PDA

View Full Version : What to use to make my thick/layered hair stay up?

DaniiL
July 22nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
I MUST start to wear my hair in a protective updo, but I just don't seem to get it to work! :mad:
My hair is very thick, layered and between APL and BSL.
WHAT shall I use to keep for example a french/peacock twist up and stay there!!?? :confused:

As it is now I just keep having it in a pony, because it works, but I guess it's not the best way...

I'm going shopping for "hair accessories" any day soon and I would like to know what to look for. :)

LILBERT
July 22nd, 2010, 04:21 AM
you could try a ficcare or flexi? Layered hair generally has more sucess with them rather than hairsticks. People usually use a ficcare maximas for french twists and a flexi will hold one too. with thick hair like yours id make sure to go for the larger sizes though.

http://www.flexi8.com/
http://www.ficcare.com/

julliams
July 22nd, 2010, 05:43 AM
Flexi's work great. When my hair was your length I used to be able to do a lazy wrap bun or pencil bun that I would hold with a flexi-8. It's like having a big hand to hold the updo in place for you. Now I get away with a single hairstick but I have to do it a few times in the day as it falls out.

bumblebums
July 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
I MUST start to wear my hair in a protective updo, but I just don't seem to get it to work! :mad:
My hair is very thick, layered and between APL and BSL.
WHAT shall I use to keep for example a french/peacock twist up and stay there!!?? :confused:

As it is now I just keep having it in a pony, because it works, but I guess it's not the best way...

I'm going shopping for "hair accessories" any day soon and I would like to know what to look for. :)

While you're out, pick up some thin aluminum knitting needles. Then bend them in a U-shape. They make wonderful, sturdy pins, and if you use a couple of them, they should even work on layers. Bonus: some of the cheapest hair accessories out there.

I also really like Flexi-8. You'll probably need a medium or a large.

morguebabe
July 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
A flexi

and to secure any loose pieces that pop out Some of these (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magic-Grip-Hairpins/GOODHR1,default,pd.html)

Chamomile betty
July 22nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
I would use either a claw clip or Ficcare Maximus to hold a peacock twist. Then I would secure loose sections with pretty claw clips or pins for extra hold. I've done this and it's worked very well while my hair grew out. My hair is very heavy also and the clips/pins help secure my hair (plus look pretty).

If you have the money I would suggest investing in a Ficcare. I've had mine for many years and use it all the time. If not they do have similar clips at stores.

Have fun looking for new hair toys.

Phexlyn
July 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Something like those African Butterfly hairclips should take care of the layers. Also, those are super-quick for putting your hair up.

BattahZ
July 22nd, 2010, 08:29 AM
My hair is really layered as well, and spin pins work great for putting it up in a bun. I think buns are great for protecting those shorter layers as you grow your hair out, so you don't need to trim them as often.

Bellona
July 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
I don't know, but I'm having the same issue! I can't get my hair to stay in or to look good in any updos at all :( There are some good ideas so far, so I guess I'll be watching this thread!

bumblebums
July 22nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Another idea: a velvet scrunchy. You can make one yourself, if you are handy at all. Satin/silk ones are often recommended, but if your hair is heavy and/or slick, velvet might be better.

lapushka
July 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
I used mostly claw clips between those lengths (more than one broke). Sometimes I used Quattro Basics, a Ficcare or Flexi8.

Anje
July 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
At your length, one of those bun tools (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UL91P2/ref=asc_df_B002UL91P21182733?smid=A1F3HMEZXAWIJ5&tag=dealtmp3676-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002UL91P2) might work well and minimize the sticky-outie issues of layered hair. There are other varieties too, that look like cloth-covered wires of some sort, but I don't know the names.

Sock buns are also worth trying.

spidermom
July 22nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
At your length, my go-to tool was a claw-clip.

tinti
July 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
You have the Glitter shop in Sweden, right? They has a lot of big clips, hair sticks, scrunchies and more there. I have very thick hair myself, my pony circumference is almost 11 cm. But my hair stays up on a bun with one of the big scrunchies or a french twist with one of the big claw clips. I just bought a couple of hair sticks there, and it holds my hair up really well.

Curlsgirl
July 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
I loved using claw clips at that length also. They make really pretty ones now and they are quick and cute!

PrincessBob
July 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
I was all about the bandanna when I was that length. No matter what I used it liked to escape and fall out, but a bandanna kept it up anyways. For a lot of people a bandanna is a very temporary fix, because it loosens up and slides back, which makes them grumpy and give up on the idea.

The secret to using a bandanna is to not fold it in half, which gives you a triangle, but to fold down one corner just enough to stretch from ear to the other. Keep the folded flap toward your scalp. Align the fold just above your eyebrows across your forehead, and tuck it behind your ears to hold it in place while you do the next bit. Then fold the main body of the bandanna over whatever 'do you did. Take a moment to adjust the folds to snugly wrap your 'do and fold the back-most-point under the 'do at the nape of your neck, and tie the side-points around the bottom, using a square knot, to hold it in.:pirate:

Note: This may require re-knotting as the day wears on. sometimes bobby pins can be X-ed at the temples when your really moving around.

They are easy to make out of old bedsheets, skirts, whatever, so you don't need to spend $2-7 a pop to have a wide color variety to match your favorite outfit.. Make a square, I prefer 18"X18, but whatever is good for you, then four straight 1/4" hems and you have a bandanna. Heck buy a sheet at Goodwill for $5 and you can make 12 or more. You can also pick up fat quarters cheaply at many fabric and crafts shops (these are 18"X22" and requite a tiny bit of trimming, but offer a wider variety of color and pattern and are less effort than most bedsheets). When they get sweaty, dirty or covered with product, just toss them in the wash. YAY!

Badly illustrated explanation follows.
This is your bandanna:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/Bandannastart.jpg

Fold your bandanna like this ("inside" view):
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/insideview.jpg

Not like this:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/notlikethis.jpg

Any questions?

Princess Bob

DaniiL
July 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Thank you all so very much!!! :)
I really do appreciate all your tips!

I hope I can work it out somehow...

DaniiL
July 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
You have the Glitter shop in Sweden, right? They has a lot of big clips, hair sticks, scrunchies and more there. I have very thick hair myself, my pony circumference is almost 11 cm. But my hair stays up on a bun with one of the big scrunchies or a french twist with one of the big claw clips. I just bought a couple of hair sticks there, and it holds my hair up really well.

Yes Tinti, we have have a Glitter store in our City. Thanks for the tip, I'll go there tomorrow! :)