PDA

View Full Version : Did drinking protein give your hair any benefits?

lora410
May 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I just started my daily whey 100% protien drink yesterday "25g per serving" I think! I'm doing it for my body mainly, but has anyone see any good results hair wise?

jojo
May 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I would think so, im not a great milk drinker but have been forcing myself to drink more, it wont hurt

MakeItADouble
May 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I have used it off and on, and haven't noticed much of a difference. But I think it helps maintain hair if you don't get much protein.

Igor
May 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I’m not sure if I see a difference or not since I cant tell what supplements works how much out of my routine, but I think I can safely say I have a good head of hair :wink:
But a fact is that keratin consists of 12% cystin(e?) which is an amino acid
I would however check how many calories you take in extra each day with your protein drink. It can add up to a lot and since its liquid calories it doesn’t make you full

sibylla
May 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I´m a beer drinker. I´m a member in a Swedish beer club and many of us there have really thick long hair...mmmm beer:beerchug:

florenonite
May 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I´m a beer drinker. I´m a member in a Swedish beer club and many of us there have really thick long hair...mmmm beer:beerchug:
Is there protein in beer, then? I'd've thought it would be mostly carbs, seeing as the hops come from barley, which is a grain.

Alaskanheart
May 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I drank Super Protein made by owalla (I think is the brand name)for a few months one small glass everyday, at the beginning of growing my hair and I grew 1-2 inches every month in those months, I havent been drinking it for about 3 months now and my hair is just growing a bit under 1 inch a month now.Might be a coincidence.I actually just started again a few days ago.Plus its a healthy morning energy booster.Cant hurt.

DaveDecker
May 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Is there protein in beer, then? I'd've thought it would be mostly carbs, seeing as the hops come from barley, which is a grain.

I suppose it might be the nutrients from the hops and barley. Or maybe it's the stress relieving effect of the brew. :) Mmmm, beer. :beer:

I’m not sure if I see a difference or not since I cant tell what supplements works how much out of my routine, but I think I can safely say I have a good head of hair :wink:
I would however check how many calories you take in extra each day with your protein drink. It can add up to a lot and since its liquid calories it doesn’t make you full

I think it's safe to say, Igor! :tongue:

My supplementation routine includes essential amino acids, received from Hairboutique's Hairtopia regimen.

I just started my daily whey 100% protien drink yesterday "45g per serving" I think! I'm doing it for my body mainly, but has anyone see any good results hair wise?

Lora, I answered the same question in your other thread on the topic. Not sure it's worth searching for, though. :lol:

backtonature
May 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Alaskanheart,

What did the Odwall Protein drink taste like. I've tried some of there other flavors and thought they were pretty good.

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
When I was younger, I drank literally like a gallon and a half of skim milk every day. I think my hair was probably happier then, but it has been a long, long time...

Myeka
May 17th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I don't mean to be a stickler, but that's an awful lot of protein for a woman (I mean in supplemental form) unless you don't get much anywhere else in your diet. A general rule of thumb is 1g per 1kg of weight (from all sources), unless you are quite active and then it changes to 1.5 kg. Too much protein is not good for your kidneys...

kitana
May 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I don't mean to be a stickler, but that's an awful lot of protein for a woman (I mean in supplemental form) unless you don't get much anywhere else in your diet. A general rule of thumb is 1g per 1kg of weight (from all sources), unless you are quite active and then it changes to 1.5 kg. Too much protein is not good for your kidneys...
I do and agree for the average person, but if you are active, then it is fine as long as the rest of your diet balances out and you drink plenty of water.

I take in between 55-65g daily of protein, but then again I am on a
fighter's diet", so protein is a must, lol.

Iylivarae
May 17th, 2008, 05:00 AM

Keratin consists of 100% amino acids, the cysteine is a sulfur containing amino acid, that's why sulfur supplements could help to grow the hair.

I'd be sure not to take up too many proteins, for a huge protein uptake could possibly damage the kidneys.

Future CCC-SLP
May 17th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Make sure you are active with that much protein! A friend of mine is a nutritionist and when I told her I wanted to start working out more but have a protein shake to help support my routine she said that unless I am active that day I should NOT drink my shake.
But as for healthy hair, ever since I adopted my new health regimen I have noticed increased shine. Now this may not be directly from the protein but just for improved health all over.

Good luck!

sibylla
May 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM
OK beer seems to have all nutrients BUT protein...
Anyone tried beer schampoo??

lora410
May 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone :flower:

Alaskanheart
May 18th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Alaskanheart,

What did the Odwall Protein drink taste like. I've tried some of there other flavors and thought they were pretty good.

Sorry to take so long, Im bad at checking back on my posts.It tastes like bananas mostly but is thick and a bit chalky.Its not bad, but its not delicious either.A small glass is really fast to drink so its not a big deal.:)

I read some info on the protein/kidney problem and from what Ive read that it has never been proven that protein can damage a healthy functioning liver, however too much protein is not good for someone who has an already damaged liver...So I guess if your an alcoholic have fattyliver or have another liver condition, its best not to suppliment your protein, otherwise I wouldnt worry too much about it if you dont over do it.Too much of anything isnt good.;)