PDA

View Full Version : Question for Self Trimmers

Future CCC-SLP
May 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Specifically those who use fey's self trimming method:

I need advise from those who do not part their hair down the middle. After a bad trim a few months back (lets just say NEVER get your hair texturized! Thinning of the ends, not a good look on me.) Anywhoo, because of this I have decided to try self trimming. I have a fairly blunt hemline although I am going to attempt the U shaped as I think it is very flattering. My question is I part my hair to one side and the instructions say to part down the middle. Now if I did this I think it would make a weird shaped hemline. Should I part my hair down the side I normally do?

TIA: Any advise is welcome!

jojo
May 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
hi,
well i used to cut a U in my hair but always parted and brought the 2 pieces of hair to the front and slightly tipped, before cutting my head to achieve this. Im not really up on how its done otherwise, but anyway heres a link which may help http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/ please post pictures of how you get on, i love pictures!! x

Neorah
May 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
The reason for parting down the middle, I believe, is so that the curve of the hemline is symmetrical and even on both sides... If you parted your hair on the side, I would think that it would make an uneven U-shape, with the longest part of the U off-center.

Beldaran
May 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
The reason for parting down the middle, I believe, is so that the curve of the hemline is symmetrical and even on both sides... If you parted your hair on the side, I would think that it would make an uneven U-shape, with the longest part of the U off-center.

Right, but if she trims it with a center part, and then re-parts it the way she normally does, then it will be off center. If she parts it like normal and then trims, it should stay even.

Isilme
May 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I part as I usually do, and then where my head starts going down I part in the middle. So side part to top of head, and them middle part.

Anje
May 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'm going to second Isilme. If you have a standard part, part it there, but part it in the middle on the back of your head.

My part moves around a bit, so I just do the middle part.

Future CCC-SLP
May 17th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I part as I usually do, and then where my head starts going down I part in the middle. So side part to top of head, and them middle part.

This is what I thought I should do after I started thinking about it. I'm going to buy my scissors this weekend and maybe get the courage next week!

Thanks for the advise!

LaurelSpring
May 17th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I just did my first tentative self trim after my hairdresser wouldnt cut my hair....how weird! I know that it had been 6 weeks because I put it on the calendar but she said it had only been 3 (why should it matter if I want it trimmed)? I am trying to keep on top of my ends from old damage with at least 6 week dustings. Anyway, that was the catalyst for me to give it a go. I tentatively took off a micro amount so I cant really tell any difference at this point.

I did the instructions for the U but my hair is in such a major V from layers that its probably going to take a loooong time to get any U look out of it. I loved them when I got them but now they are just not working so well with my updos and my whole back looks shaggy and straggly unless I used the curling iron like I use to (not and option now) or set it.

I feel like I am at a length plateau right now and I want to push through it so I am struggling with letting it be for now.. I dont have the after the haircut smooth feeling so I am struggling about whether I am going to go back in a couple of weeks to let her touch it up or just keep plugging away myself with self trims.

Is there a transition period to go through when you are weaning yourself off of your hairdresser? I didnt realize that I would have haircut withdrawal!

LadyMoon11
May 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM
This is also what I do to still achieve a symmetrical U shape. My hair part is slightly off center, about even with the inner edge of my eyebrow,so I understand your need to compensate.

LadyMoon11
May 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I just did my first tentative self trim after my hairdresser wouldnt cut my hair....how weird! I know that it had been 6 weeks because I put it on the calendar but she said it had only been 3 (why should it matter if I want it trimmed)? I am trying to keep on top of my ends from old damage with at least 6 week dustings. Anyway, that was the catalyst for me to give it a go. I tentatively took off a micro amount so I cant really tell any difference at this point.

I did the instructions for the U but my hair is in such a major V from layers that its probably going to take a loooong time to get any U look out of it. I loved them when I got them but now they are just not working so well with my updos and my whole back looks shaggy and straggly unless I used the curling iron like I use to (not and option now) or set it.

I feel like I am at a length plateau right now and I want to push through it so I am struggling with letting it be for now.. I dont have the after the haircut smooth feeling so I am struggling about whether I am going to go back in a couple of weeks to let her touch it up or just keep plugging away myself with self trims.

Is there a transition period to go through when you are weaning yourself off of your hairdresser? I didnt realize that I would have haircut withdrawal!
Yes- that freshly cut feeling is missed sometimes... I missed it at first.
I would say just be patient and gradually grow out the layers. I know that is easier said than done, but as long as you do not have wicked damaged/split ends, then you can do very slight trims each month to eventually even out your layers with the rest of your length. It will seem to take a long time at first, but if you really want to keep your length, then the slow & steady will be worth it. ;)

nomadhome
May 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Normally my hair parts itself on the side when iIhave it down, but I self-trim with it parted in the middle. I don't notice any uneveness from this. Perhaps that is because when my hair is parted to the side it isn't parted all the way down to the nape of my neck? (I don't imagine anyone would do that unless they were making two braids, etc.)