PDA

View Full Version : Haircolor/toner/refresher question

Curlsgirl
July 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
I get my hair highlighted probably once every couple of months, just the roots touched up but in between I go and my colorist does something that they call a "brightener". It makes my hair go longer in between highlight touchups. She puts something on the roots mostly and leaves it on maybe 5 minutes and it sort of refreshes the color. Anyone have any idea what it might be and if I could possible do it at home and save a trip to the salon in between highlights? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

amaiaisabella
July 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM
Does your hair get somewhat brassy in between visits? Then I would think she'd be using a toner. Otherwise, maybe it's a color gloss? They make OTC ones but I haven't heard very good things about them. I always hear you can mix color, developer, and water, and do a foam type of thing that will refresh your color, but I've never done it myself.

JenniferNoel
July 21st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Sounds like a toner. Or this! Be sure to read. It says something about shampoos and stuff somewhere in there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_brightener
A snippet: Optical brighteners have also found use in cosmetics. One application is to formulas for washing and conditioning grey or blonde hair, where the brightener can not only increase the luminance and sparkle of the hair, but can also correct dull, yellowish discoloration without darkening the hair. Some advanced face and eye powders contain optical brightener microspheres that brighten shadowed or dark areas of the skin, such as "tired eyes".

Curlsgirl
July 22nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
No it doesn't brassy and the brightener doesn't darken it at all like a toner. I will read the article. Thanks!

rymorg2
July 25th, 2010, 05:08 AM
A toner doesn't necessarily darken.

It sounds to me like she IS doing a toner. I've never heard it called brightener though. Any color product can be used to tone, all toners do is counteract unwanted tones or add desired tones. For instance, if you highlight and get very gold you can tone it out. Or if you highlight but want red highlights you can color them (tone them) red. My guess is she's seeing some tones in your hair, possibly ones you don't see, and toning them as well as adding shine. Color glossing will do the same thing.

Knowing you you love your blonde, I don't know if it's something you could do at home....you can pm me if you want to for more detailed specifics.