PDA

View Full Version : Waiting, possible cut, and compliments?

misspriss
July 21st, 2010, 07:22 PM
I don't know if too many people saw, but I posted in another thread about just not being happy with my hair at it's current length. I am currently waiting out a possible decision to cut back to around BSL or so, and it has had some interesting results.

I started my wait Monday, two days ago. I made the appointment two weeks from Tuesday, or yesterday.

Monday, I got my first hair compliment in a long time. Just a "You're hair looks nice today". I was kind of suprized. Today, I got a million. I did wear it down, which I only do about one day a week or so. I got a "You have such beautiful long hair" and "I never noticed your hair was so long" (by the same guy who said I had "rapunzel hair" later, I wasn't sure it was a compliment until he brought it up again).

I'm so confused though. I was so happy to reach my goal length by my graduation. I have wanted waist length hair for so long, and it was nice. I just do not want to regret cutting it. I liked it when it was a bit shorter and I actually liked the way the layers made my hair curl. I also think that I enjoy the journey to growing out more than actually reaching my goal. I am just not entirely happy. Anyway, I don't have anyone to talk this out with except you guys, so I had to get it all out there. SO is so supportive, but he says as long as I don't cut above chin length, he will think it is the most beautiful hair in the world :crush:

SpinDance
July 21st, 2010, 07:47 PM
First, congrats on meeting your goal!

From my experience most people don't pay too much attention to how long your hair is once it's about BSL. Anything from that on is "long" and only a few will really pay attention to just how "long". That doesn't mean they don't notice it, but there will be fewer people commenting on the length on a regular basis.

If you aren't happy with this length, by all means, do whatever makes you happy with it. Did you like the shorter length more, or the layers more?

evampr18
July 21st, 2010, 07:54 PM
i think it looks great long. but im biased. i love long hair. when you have it short though it looks real shiny and much bouncier. if you like the way your hair looked with layers why dont you get deep layers with long hair?

i had long hair to my tailbone with layers deep ones and loved it but then cut it chin and no im crying for it to grow back so i can have my long hair with layers.

evampr18
July 21st, 2010, 07:54 PM
p.s. congrats on your growth :)

Pumpkin
July 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
Your hair is beautiful!! :) Do what makes you happy. Waist length is very attractive on you.

chelseamichelle
July 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Maybe you should just get a little cut off and see how you feel about it, don't do anything too drastic if you're not entirely sure it what you want :)

Capybara
July 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
I think your hair looks beautiful as well :)

One important thing to keep in mind is that you grew your hair for you, not for other people. Compliments are awesome, but even if you weren't receiving any, it wouldn't matter if you are happy with your hair.

That being said, if you do not like/enjoy your hair, regardless of whether you are receiving compliments on it or not, there is no reason that you shouldn't change it to suit what you want. Employ the two week rule, then maybe you can trim off a little and go from there. :blossom: HTH

Kristin
July 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
I agree with previous posters. Your hair looks great, but if you're not happy with it, then wha's the point? Cut a little; cut a lot. It grows back so I think you should do whatever you want. ;)

misspriss
July 21st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Well, for me, BSL to waist is only about 3" or less. Say, six months of growth.

I still have all the layers, I haven't done anything with it except microtrim the length in the past couple of months, so they layers I had when I was at APL and BSL are still there. I guess I kind of miss that bounciness I had when it was a bit shorter, it isn't as "full" now. I have the same amount of hair, but the ratio of thickness to length changed, with the added weight, it just doesn't sit the same way.

Thank you for all the wonderful compliments.

UltraBella
July 21st, 2010, 11:58 PM
I agree. The weight does change it, mine has lost some bounce and movement too from when it was not as long. I suspect I will cut mine shorter, but for now I just had a two inch trim and I feel better.
You know what you like, enjoy your hair ! You will still get plenty of compliments at a shorter length :)

kristymarie87
July 22nd, 2010, 04:39 AM
Instead of chopping it all to BSL at once. Why not try it just a little shorter first, maybe with a diff hemline or experiment with layers. If you arent happy then change it, but if you just go for a big chop, you may regret it so i'd cut it a little, if you still arent happy then have it done a little more until you are. You can cut a little off easily enough but growing it back when you went too far takes longer!

If you're anything like me, you have a goal and once you reach it, you arent happy Still and end up wanting something different. Im never happy i swear!!

CrisDee
July 22nd, 2010, 05:11 AM
I agree with the "cut a little" vote. My suggestion is to cut the length to mid-back, and cut some nice long layers. See how you like that - you can always go shorter :)

freckles
July 22nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
normally I would suggest to just take a little, or to wait it out longer, or whatever. But 3" isn't a massive chop, more a largeish trim. If you want to take the 3" off and that brings you back to BSL -- I say go with it. You have already had hair that length and indicate that you really liked it, so I doubt you're going to regret it that much, and even if you do, six months is not such a long time in the grand scheme of things! If you don't like it as much as you remember, you'll know not to do that again :)

You might decide you love both lengths and love the growing process, and decide to repeatedly trim to BSL and then grow to waist -- which is still 'long' hair, and still beautiful :)

Medievalmaniac
July 22nd, 2010, 06:47 AM
I think your hair looks beautiful as well :)

One important thing to keep in mind is that you grew your hair for you, not for other people. Compliments are awesome, but even if you weren't receiving any, it wouldn't matter if you are happy with your hair.

This, exactly. You are here to decorate your world. If you don't like the decor, then you have every right to change it to suit your current tastes. Like paint. You don't like the pumpkin colored walls, paint 'em slate blue! You can always paint 'em back if you decide you liked them better the other color. Same with hair - you cut it a biut, if you don't like it, grow it back :)

going gray
July 22nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
Maybe you should just get a little cut off and see how you feel about it, don't do anything too drastic if you're not entirely sure it what you want :)

I completely agree!

Phexlyn
July 22nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
http://100-hairstyles.freidenkerin.de/index.php?/archives/27-22-Comet-Knot-Kometenknoten.html

Phexlyn
July 22nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Sorry somehow my reply got mixed up and I cannot edit my posts yet!

I'll try again...

First, you have beautiful hair :)

I suggest you find out what's really important to you before you decide. Bounciness? Thickness? Length? Compliments? Or whatever else might play a role.

Also, did you wear your hair down more at a shorter length and therefore got more compliments? I rarely get compliments on updos, but much more on loose hair.

If you want to cut, I second going for BSL. That is still "long" and complimentworthy for most people and you're less likely to regret it if you don't like it.

Hope that helps.