PDA

View Full Version : hair style problems

Ava666
July 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM
So, I have a problem with when I try to do a new style, I mess up my hair gets tangled and then when I detangle it, no matter how careful I am, I end up breaking/ damaging some hair. I like to keep my hair down when I'm just sitting around doing nothing, but when I go out, or do some work, i want it out of my face. Does anyone have any styles they like, other than a simple single braid, that are easy to do/ learn and undamaging?

ptnicole
July 21st, 2010, 04:17 PM
I'd recommend going to the article section of the forum for updos. I think all the buns are pretty non-damaging. My hair is fine and there is lots of it...it tends to tangle also. I just have to take time to work out each little snarl.

Good luck!

Chiara
July 21st, 2010, 05:10 PM
I find a sock bun can be done so that it is very gentle on your hair. I found this tutorial really helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

Maybe, try a bit of oil or detangler on the ends and comb it through before you try the updo, as that will help with combing it out if you mess up (I tend to practice anything new on wash day, as that way I can put oil in my hair, whatever, and it doesn't matter!)

frizzinator
July 21st, 2010, 05:16 PM
There are so many variables involved in making an updo, I doubt that your question can be answered any better than if you just combed the Mane forum looking for updo instructions or the hair style instructions in the articles section.

I wear an updo everyday, and believe me, it really takes a lot of practice to master them. I can make 20 different buns, but each one required a significant amount of practice to be able to avoid breaking hairs, especially when inserting the hair stick, fork, slide, comb, pins or even a ponytail elastic.

In the beginning, when practicing a new hair style, do it slowly. If it's not working very well, often it is better to stop and start again sometime when you are less frustrated. A number of different styles are actually created in much the same way, so after awhile, practice will become easier.

All this practice will help you determine the appropriate amount of tension you will need to use when making each updo... each one is different, and the accessory also might dictate the amount of tension to use. Tension that is too tight or too loose will cause breakage when inserting the hair accessory.

I tried making each new bun with every hair accessory I owned, because only one of them would make it much easier than the others.

When I identified the best accessory for securing the bun, I took a photo. My memory is so bad, that I need to look at the photo album to remember which accessory works best with the bun I'm making, or which bun is held securely with the hair accessory that I want to wear that day.

It's simply a matter of practice, and after enough practice, you will figure out how to avoid breaking so many hairs. And you will figure out which hair styles or hair accessories always make you break hairs, no matter how much you practice. Everyone is different, so someone else's recommended updo might not work very well for you.

Be extra careful when inserting an accessory with a dull point, such as when a hair stick has been dropped and the point hits first. Those dull points will easily catch and break a hair. And sometimes points are made to be dull, so just be aware and notice when the same accessory repeatedly causes trouble. It can be fixed, but you have to identify the problem first.

Even with my experience, when I try to make a new updo, or try using a new hair accessory, I occasionally will break a hair.

frizzinator
July 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
I should recommend the updo in my avatar, the Log Roll. Look at this thread.... http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=292&highlight=roll ... so scroll down half-way and look at Lady Godiva's video of how to make it. It is so easy, with practice.