PDA

View Full Version : Help! question about shedding

urara12
July 21st, 2010, 01:57 PM
hi! it's might be stupid question..but I want to know :confused:
my hair shed a lot again :(
my hair shed a lot when I use shampoo. but no the much shed
if I wash water only. I don't know why???

I wash my hair everyday because my scalp tend to oily and itchy if I don't wash everyday.

avarage shed is total 70+ little more or less.
however my hair shed more like 100 total since a week ago.
( I don't brush my hair, so I guess most shed happend in the shower )
couple days ago I wash my hair with only water
then shed like 10.
also my hair don't shed at all when I rince my hair before I use shampoo.as soon as I use shampoo then lot of shed happen,

I always wonder about it...anyone had any idea?

Mairéad
July 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
If you don't brush your hair that often, the hair you would normally shed doing that is being shed when you wash instead.

I heard somewhere that it's normal to shed 100 hairs a day. That seems like a lot though so I didn't take that information to heart.

If you're washing your hair every day, are you only washing near the roots? The only parts of your hair you should be washing with shampoo are the parts that get too oily, which is the scalp.

Gumball
July 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
I agree that if you don't brush every day the hair that normally sheds might not be helped out of the rest of your hair. It will stay until it works its way out of your hair or you help it with moving your hands through your hair.

Also do you scrub your scalp when you use shampoo and when you wash with only water, or just when you use shampoo? If it's just when you use shampoo you might be encouraging the hair that is about to be shed to come loose because you're working the areas they are in with the scrubbing.

For some 100 hairs shed a day is still within the realm of normal shedding. If you're talking about all at once then we can go through the possibilities and see what it might be. :)

Tiina
July 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
It sounds like you might be allergic to something in the shampoo. It is likely to be SLS but other components can also cause a reaction.

In any case, using shampoo every day is not healthy. You should learn about alternative washing methods (WO, herbs, tea rinses, egg shampoo, etc) to stretch out the time between shampoo washes. Oftentimes the more frequently you wash, the more sebum your scalp produces.

jera
July 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
It sounds like you might be allergic to something in the shampoo. It is likely to be SLS but other components can also cause a reaction.

I agree with this. You didn't mention what the ingredients in your shampoo were. :confused: Also do you comb if you don't brush? :rolleyes:
It is normal to lose 100 hairs a day, but if you lose less on the WO method then perhaps that the routine you should stick to. My hair prefers WO too. :)

urara12
July 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
Mairéad. thanks for reply :)
yes, I only wash around roots.
I am bit confused that some says 100, some say up to 150 a day is normal...:confused:

urara12
July 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Gumball :)thank you for your reply.

Ummm.. I have sensitive scalp , so I try to not much scrub my scalp. kind of light massages.

urara12
July 21st, 2010, 02:56 PM
Tiina. thank you for your reply.
about allergic , it's might be because I have very sensitive scalp.

I will learn about alternative washing methods :)

urara12
July 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
jera. thank you for your reply:)

I am using Free and clear shampoo ( diluted )

Water (Purified), Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Cocoamidopropylamine Oxide, PEG 150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, Citric Acid, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate

or L'anza remedy shampoo , Paula's choice.

all above shampoo don't make my scalp itchy or sore .

also I don't use conditioner around roots only at ends.
I do comb after wash by Body shop's wooden combo.

I am going to WO tonight to see again if my hair don't shed like shampoo:)

Gumball
July 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Gumball :)thank you for your reply.

Ummm.. I have sensitive scalp , so I try to not much scrub my scalp. kind of light massages.

Do you lightly massage your scalp when you do water only and when you shampoo your hair or just when you shampoo?

urara12
July 21st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Do you lightly massage your scalp when you do water only and when you shampoo your hair or just when you shampoo?

both shampoo and WO I do very light massages just
like wash out the oilness from my scalp.

I also wonder which is more right ? 100 shed or up to 150 shed a daily? some says 100. some says 150 even 200 a day is normal (I did google search )
from bigining my hair shed a lot since I was teen ager ( now I am 42 ) my parent's always told me that ** your hair is all over ** also my pony size is haven't change.
but 100 shed in the shower makes me freak out...:(

Gumball
July 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
both shampoo and WO I do very light massages just
like wash out the oilness from my scalp.

I also wonder which is more right ? 100 shed or up to 150 shed a daily? some says 100. some says 150 even 200 a day is normal (I did google search )
from bigining my hair shed a lot since I was teen ager ( now I am 42 ) my parent's always told me that ** your hair is all over ** also my pony size is haven't change.
but 100 shed in the shower makes me freak out...:(

100 and 150 shed hairs per day are both in the realms of normal. It changes between different people, too.

If you're doing the same technique when you wash with water or with shampoo, then it does sound like your head isn't agreeing with the shampoo. It might be a good idea to try using different shampoos to see if it gets better or still has the same reaction. Like other people have said, alternative washing techniques could help, too.

I think it's a good point you made that your ponytail circumference hasn't changed. When people react negatively or have an abnormal shed, usually that is a definite place that it can be seen, because you're visibly losing more than you're regrowing so the circumference goes down. Fortunately for you it sounds like you're still doing alright, even if you might be shedding just a little more than normal for now, since your ponytail circumference hasn't changed.

urara12
July 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
100 and 150 shed hairs per day are both in the realms of normal. It changes between different people, too.

If you're doing the same technique when you wash with water or with shampoo, then it does sound like your head isn't agreeing with the shampoo. It might be a good idea to try using different shampoos to see if it gets better or still has the same reaction. Like other people have said, alternative washing techniques could help, too.

I think it's a good point you made that your ponytail circumference hasn't changed. When people react negatively or have an abnormal shed, usually that is a definite place that it can be seen, because you're visibly losing more than you're regrowing so the circumference goes down. Fortunately for you it sounds like you're still doing alright, even if you might be shedding just a little more than normal for now, since your ponytail circumference hasn't changed.

thank you so much for your advice.
I am going to check more careful that how diffrent between
WO and shampoo .
couple month ago I got so worry & depressed that my hair shedding and went to see Dr ( blood test done too, it was dye allergic )
Dr told me that write down all shed as much as I can,
so I can tell the # is my shed cycle or not w/o freak out or depreessed. since then I am writing down the shed # everyday.
that's the why I noticed that WO is much less shedding.
also I did try not wash everyday but my scalp got more oily and sore and small bump I think it's due to my SD.
seems like I have to wash everyday.

Thinthondiel
July 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
I did WO for several months, and I shed a lot less during those months than I do when I use shampoo, both in the shower and otherwise, and I think (if I remember correctly) that other people who were posting in the WO thread said the same thing.

urara12
July 21st, 2010, 08:26 PM
I did WO for several months, and I shed a lot less during those months than I do when I use shampoo, both in the shower and otherwise, and I think (if I remember correctly) that other people who were posting in the WO thread said the same thing.

very intresting. maybe my scalp don't get along with shampoo. because it doesn't matter if it's contain SLS or non SLS. I will try WO tonight to see how many my hair shed.
thanks for your reply :)

urara12
July 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
UP DATE.
just wanted to up date about my shedding.
I did water only wash last night.my shed is like 30.
usual my shed is like 70-100 ( with shampoo ) sometime more.
I am getting feel sure that I am reacting shampoo.
so I will water only for a week and see what's happen.