PDA

View Full Version : Scalp sore(s)

NiAosSi
July 21st, 2010, 10:02 AM
I need some help. I have this one sore on my scalp that is not going away. It is a bit painful and when I pick it is flakes and my fingers smell, too! WTH is going on?:confused: It's a bit above the base of my neck. It's been there for about 2 months and comes and goes. I rarely use sulfates and don't use cones at all. It gets better when I henna, so I am going to try and henna today or tomorrow.

Someone please tell me you know what's going on.:(

Centaur
July 21st, 2010, 10:04 AM
I recommend a visit to a dermatologist.

In2wishin
July 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
I need some help. I have this one sore on my scalp that is not going away. It is a bit painful and when I pick it is flakes and my fingers smell, too! WTH is going on?:confused: It's a bit above the base of my neck. It's been there for about 2 months and comes and goes. I rarely use sulfates and don't use cones at all. It gets better when I henna, so I am going to try and henna today or tomorrow.

Someone please tell me you know what's going on.:(

It could be the beginning of a sebaceous cyst, which is a sac under the skin which fills with sebum, or a small cyst has become repetedly infected. Since it hasn't healed in 2 months you might want to have a dermatologist look at it.

NiAosSi
July 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Oh, brotherrrr! :( I do have dandruff but it has been under control since I started henna.

ETA: Thank you.

little_cherry
July 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hmm...have you tried putting some polysporin on there? I'd even try and apply some diluted ACV to the area...it sounds like something I had to deal with about a year ago.

Good luck! :flower:

housewench
July 21st, 2010, 11:11 AM
I have had the same thing for a while, though mine mostly flares up when stressed.

Applying vinegar to the sores has been helping a lot, though...owww.

greyTraveler
July 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM
I had a few spots like that on my face, and the dermatologist really didn't like them. Yours may very well be something different -- all the suggestions here seem reasonable -- but it wouldn't hurt to have it looked at.

I also am prone to cysts, and when they are infected antibiotic is definately helpful -- so long as they are open, which it sounds like yours is (if it is a cyst).

klcqtee
July 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hm, henna is supposed to help with fungal things so maybe it's a fungal sort of thing? Definitely go see a dermatologist about it, probably right before you henna, so s/he can see the severity of it.

becker
July 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
I will echo all those who say have a doc check it out.

Khiwanean
July 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hm, henna is supposed to help with fungal things so maybe it's a fungal sort of thing? Definitely go see a dermatologist about it, probably right before you henna, so s/he can see the severity of it.This is exactly what I was thinking. Henna is antifungal, so I suspect it is fungal in nature since it gets better when you henna. Definitely go see a dermatologist.

Othala
July 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
I would suggest you try a natural fungicide and see if that helps before you go to a dermatologist. Try a dab of Tea Tree oil (neat), Cinnamon oil (diluted) or Neem oil (diluted).

NiAosSi
July 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Everyone has provided great advice. I will try to see if something I do would help. If doesn't improve in about a week or two, I will go to a dermatologist.

GRU
July 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Some possibilities are dandruff (which is fungal), seborrheic dermatitis, ringworm, or infection of some sort.

You've gotten good advice here. Good luck!

simplysnuggle
July 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
I've had one before but for me it was just an ingrown hair. Once I got the hair out and the infection out put a little Neosporin on it and it went away in a few days. I'm not sure if yours is the same so I agree you should seek professional help.

greyTraveler
July 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I would suggest you try a natural fungicide and see if that helps before you go to a dermatologist. Try a dab of Tea Tree oil (neat), Cinnamon oil (diluted) or Neem oil (diluted).
Tea Tree oil is great as an anit-fungal, but be sure to use "a dab". There have been reports of neural damage for people who have put a lot on their heads (it absorbs into the blood stream, and apparently can cross the blood/brain barrier). No one has ever had a problem with small amounts though.

alabaster
July 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Going to a doctor is always a good bet, but in the mean time you could try monistat. I was always getting sores like that and since i started using monistat to help with hair growth the sores have also gone away. Coincidence, i think not :) Apparently a lot of people have problems with fungal infections on their head and dont even know it. I always assumed it was clogged pores because of conditioner....

NiAosSi
July 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Oh, so much wonderful advice! I am going to henna tonight in the meantime I will add a few drops of TTO and a couple of spoons neem powder. Thanks all!

TammySue
July 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
I get these once in awhile. A final rinse with white vinegar/water seems to help.