PDA

View Full Version : Houdini hair

countryhopper
July 21st, 2010, 12:00 AM
For the past week or so, my hair has escaped almost any updo I've tried.

I used to be able to do fairly secure figure 8 buns, but now after several attempts, my hair slides out. Ditto with Lazy wraps. And peacock twists. :mad:

Rags had mentioned on another thread that she had this problem a while back, and she thinks it was due to an akward length. My hair is just a couple inches over APL. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a length issue or a weather issue?

Anniekins
July 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Nothing holds my hair for very long. A single stick is a joke but 2 sticks and pretty funny too. Bobby pins just slide right back out. Just keep trying and you are bound to find what will work for you and then when you outgrow that you can start all over again :) I wish I could help.

Anne

pixi_stix
July 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM
I had the same problem for years. My hairdresser put my hair in a bun only 4 months ago. She used a full pack of hair grips and a lot of hair spray to make sure it stayed in, but it fell out in less than 10 minutes. But since joining the site I have had a lot of success in keeping buns in place. The best thing I have found to hold my hair in a style is spin pins. I use a hair fork and 2 spin pins for nautilus buns and one stick and 2 spin pins for Chinese buns. I find the style stays in better if I do them braided.

Soniasonia
July 31st, 2010, 08:32 PM
My hair is super heavy and the only thing that keep It up is hair clips. Try this:)

countryhopper
August 1st, 2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I have some spin pins. I love using them, but since my hair is still not long enough for many buns, I don't have much of a variety to use them in. Maybe I should try a lazy wrap bun with spin pins AND a stick? Same with the figure 8...

loralie
August 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
Did you change products recently? Maybe something's giving you more slip?

My go to is a cinnabun, or a folded ponytail. I use these stretchy cloth headbands as ponies, so they don't dent my hair as badly as elastics. I'm right where you are and I can't seem to do a figure eight or a lazy wrap just yet! I think it's the layers. Soon hopefully :D

Laurenji
August 1st, 2010, 10:16 PM
My hair hated updos just above APL, which is where it was when I started here. It got better once I got several inches past APL.

Also, I second the products thing. Are you using cones? AVC rinses? Both of those tend to make my hair slippery. When I oil it up a bit, my hair stays much better in updos.

countryhopper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Nope, I haven't used any products on my hair since November '09. i sometimes oil just the ends, though.

it could be that my hair feels more slippery after a few WO washes... after baking soda washes it feels fine. :???:

Anje
August 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
The awkward length thing is definitely a possibility. I had a period around hip length when I couldn't do anything. My usual cinnamon buns just stopped holding, and I eventually had to find a new set of buns that would work.

Try a few new buns. Orchid wraps and lazy wrap buns (I think they hold better if I twist them gently) are pretty easy to work and hard to grow out of. Celtic knots are also great if your hair is long enough.