PDA

View Full Version : Hair changed from thick and curly to thin and "wavy"...happen to anyone else?

lknordai
July 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hi,
So I'm new to the page and I'm just curious if anyone else experienced the same thing that I have...

In my teens and early 20's my hair was SUPER THICK and SUPER CURLY! Tight spiral curls and so thick it almost looked like an afro. Then I hit about the age of 27 and it relaxed completely to just now being kind of wavy.

I've also noticed that now I can see my huge part that runs down the back of my head and kind of looks like a big bald spot! I'm assuming it's always been there but now that my hair isn't curly it's hard to keep covered! Even if I part on the opposite side it still falls to the normal part in the back.

I'm about to turn 30 and now having panic attacks that my long part is eventually going to turn into a completly bald head!!

I'd love to hear if other's have had this issue....my hair used to be my "thing" and now I'm constantly have to wear it pulled back. :(

~Laura

christine1989
July 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM
The same type of thing happened to me in middle school. My hair was REALLY frizzy, curly and all around unruly from about 5th-8th grade. I had to flat iron twice a day! Then around the beginning of highschool it calmed down and became wavy with no curls. Since then it has been getting slowly straighter and less frizzy although the thickness has remanined nearly the same. With me I think it was just a strange occurance however many times a change in hair texture and thickness can be symptoms of a hormonal or thyriod problem so it is definatly worth getting it checked.

Aelare
July 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
My hair and eyes changed when I turned 30ish. Growing up, my hair was stick straight with zero wave or body and my eyes were brown. Around 30ish, my hair suddenly got more body and pretty waves. And my eyes turned green.

Some say pregnancy can change your hair (hormone changes), but I've never been pregnant. I have no clue why my eyes or hair changed. My eye doctor doesn't know, either.

Katurday
July 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
My hair and eyes changed when I turned 30ish. Growing up, my hair was stick straight with zero wave or body and my eyes were brown. Around 30ish, my hair suddenly got more body and pretty waves. And my eyes turned green.

Some say pregnancy can change your hair (hormone changes), but I've never been pregnant. I have no clue why my eyes or hair changed. My eye doctor doesn't know, either.
I know of another lady, my friend's mother, whose eyes changed from brown to green. Her old passport lists her eyes as brown and everything, but they are now a very ovbious green. One of her daughters has brown eyes and the other green.

Shany
July 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM
I read somewhere on internet that hair grows in 9 years cycles and can change texture. When I was very young, my hair was 1a and thin. From 10 years old to 19-20 it was 2c/3a and thick. Right now it's 2a, since 2 years ago. Maybe it's because I used too much bleach and hair dye.
Stress/anxiety can cause hair loss, maybe that's why your hair is thin now.

That's very special, eye color changes.
My eyes were purple-blue(weird, I know) when I was a child, then they turned dark blue and then medium blue-grey-green.

bubblyredhead
July 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
When i was born my mom said i had BRIGHT red curly hair within a few days it fell out and went to blond and straight over the years it has turned more red (noticeably in the past 2 years) now it is red with some blond wavy with some curly spirals and has gotten thicker. It's crazy when it changes on its own.

misspriss
July 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
When I was young, I was a 1b/c. Most likely ii, I can't remember.

When I got older, I was a 2c/3a, all through my teenage years. I had iii thickness, easy.

Now that I am in my 20's, I have noticed I am losing my curl. I was a 2b/c for a while, now I'm more of a 2b, moving towards a 2a. I'm back down to a ii again.

I dislike it, I want my curl back! :(

misspriss
July 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
I read somewhere on internet that hair grows in 9 years cycles and can change texture. When I was very young, my hair was 1a and thin. From 10 years old to 19-20 it was 2c/3a and thick. Right now it's 2a, since 2 years ago. Maybe it's because I used too much bleach and hair dye.

After writing my post, you sound somewhat like me. I also used bleach and I have been and currently use dye. Of course, I used dye when it was curlier too.

I blame the bleach for the thinness!

ericthegreat
July 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hair can indeed change its texture and also its color over time. For example, some people were born platinum blonde and stayed blonde as a young child, but then as they grew into puberty their hair darkened to dark blonde or even to brown. People who had straight hair as a child could develop curlier hair as an adult, and the opposite is also true.

When I was a young child all the way up until I was around 13 to 14, my hair was actually quite fine. It was still very straight like it is today, but it was much finer and wasn't nearly as thick as it is today. After I turned 14, my hair started feeling coarser and over my teens my hair progressively became thicker because it was coarser.

You are about to turn thirty, so perhaps it might be a hormonal thing. I believe I read somewhere that many people tend to start thinning or losing some of their hair after late 20s, which is exactly the age bracket you are in right now. Its just a natural process of the human body so I wouldn't really worry about it(stressing out about it could cause you to lose even MORE hair!). If you are that concerned about it you could go to your doctor.

GRU
July 22nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
I nursed my son for 17 months. The entire time I was nursing him, my bangs didn't curl but the rest of my hair did. After he weaned himself, my bangs started to curl again as they grew in. I have since grown the bangs out, and a decade later you can see that they still curl just fine:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5683&pictureid=77562

Long story short, I think it's just due to age-related hormonal changes.

If you want to get more curl/wave back, I suggest going the way of the Curly Girl Method and get as much moisture into your hair as possible. Curls and wurls are THIRSTY little devils and need as much moisture as they can get.

kritir
July 22nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
I had gorgeous shiny, amazingly thick, dead straight hair when I was little. A regular hair tie wouldn't fit so my mum had to use ribbons... now it's kind of thin on the top, thick on the bottom and can't make up its mind on whether to curl or just fizzle out into a limp wave :(

McFearless
July 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
Do you heat style? The bottom half of my hair is straight from constant flat ironing.

shawty
July 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
My mother (aged 59) used to have curly hair and no longer does. I'm not sure when the change occured, but she was not perturbed by it, just saw it as a consequence of aging and started curling her hair (heat-free of course -- my mom is awesome).

lastnite
July 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Mines started changing in my late teens and early 20s. Similar to yours, it was very curly and thick and has gone to wavy and thin. I don't have any bald patches, but it's still thin. I have a couple of pictures from when I was 13 wearing pigtails for Halloween, now I think my 1 ponytail equals 1 of my pigtails back then. I'm trying different things to help atleast get back some of the thickness.

It might be hormones or simply aging.

lknordai
July 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone...aging sucks! My hair used to be "my thing" and now I have this weird cowlick/"bald spot" that I can't stop staring at.

It's comforting to know that others have had changes too.

kritir
July 24th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Do you heat style? The bottom half of my hair is straight from constant flat ironing.
Yep, but it changed texture before I started to heat style. I started heat styling because of the change!

I feel as though the thinning on top was just a growth phase or something because my hair is getting fuller.

OtiggerificO
July 24th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I feel as though the thinning on top was just a growth phase or something because my hair is getting fuller.

Could it have been from a short period of illness?
My hair thinned dramatically when I had glandular fever and has only started to get back to what I feel is it's normal thickness now.

kritir
July 24th, 2010, 08:21 AM
The most serious illness I've had to date (and hopefully ever, knock on wood) is a mouth ulcer. Everyone was baffled!

OtiggerificO
July 24th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Well here's to hoping it stays that way, and that your hair keeps getting fuller :)