PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Hair and camping!

IStand4u
July 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Okay, so I am about to go to the lake for 5 days, and I was wondering, since I don't want to bring much since I'm doing the good ole tent camping, what are the best and easiest things to bring to the lake for my hair? I have shampoo bars that are all natural as well as conditioner and good ole hair oils, but, the thing is that it's the lake and I don't want to spend alot of time doing my hair or anything, and I will be trimming half an inch in a month or so. So, what can I do that is easy that will keep the breakage to a minimum as well as keeping my bag light?
Thanks! Oh and, even if it takes longer, I was also wondering what everyone else does with their hair when they go camping?!
Thank you!

ravenreed
July 20th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I don't do actual camping out in the emptiness camping. I usually stay in a campground near my car, so a bit of extra weight doesn't matter so much, but we have to bring our own water. I take my dry shampoo. It is the only easy way for me to keep my hair presentable without worrying about rinsing a lot of stuff out of my hair.

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM
When camping, I don't wash my hair nearly as much as I regularly do, simply because I'm in the water so much anyways, and, well, camping :p. The shampoo bars are a great idea! If you are not planning on washing your hair as often for the duration of your trip, you don't have to bring as many products as you would usually use on a regular week. :)

I also find that keeping my hair braided when dry, and loose when wet, helps when camping. That way, it can dry more easily after swimming (a breeze on a sunny day dries it in no time after swimming!), and not tangle once dry (the braids take care of this). Braids help keep damage at bay, which is also a plus :D If you use hair sticks, I'd suggest bringing one along. I always use old paintbrush handles when camping, because I don't want to ruin any of my sticks :) But it's a good idea to bring one along so you can throw it in a bun if the need arises.

If you want to maximize on space, I'd suggest separating your conditioners and oils into travel sized containers. I buy travel packs that contain holders for my toothbrush, soap (you could use the soap container for a shampoo bar, if you don't have one of the shampoo bar travel containers), small bottles (for conditioner, although I'd usually just bring the regularly sized bottle :p), and those lip-balm sized containers (which I like to use for oils). That way, you don't have to use the regular containers, and will save space and weight! I buy a kit like that for $2-$3 Canadian, but I'm sure you can purchase separate pieces very cheaply, to mix and match to your preference.

A great thing about camping is that, when I get back, I find that my hair seems to have grown. It may be that it was up more often, or I was focused on other tasks, or a positive side effect of the great outdoors, but after a camping trip my hair always seems at least an inch longer.

I hope this helps, and that you have a wonderful time! :blossom:

white line
July 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I only wash once a week so I usually would only take dry shampoo and an oil for a 5 day trip. If you plan on swimming I suppose you'll need more. I would also take stuff to put my hair up and a sunhat.

becker
July 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I think I would just not worry about washing my hair during those 5 days (I don't wash that often anyway) and bring supplies for putting it up and covering it up. I like to cover my head with a bandana when I camp-ticks freak me out.

Nocturnal
July 20th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Is that a wild camping, no washrooms? I suggest not planning on washing it while camping. IMHO the best is get it braided, pin it up and cover with bandana/ sun hat or toque. Your hair will not be in the way and you will be protected from bugs and sun.

So you will only need to bring comb, pins, hair elastic and/ or hairstick. Oil can be useful too for combing.

In2wishin
July 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Are you car camping or backpacking?

When I do either I generally keep my hair in a braid or bun and only wash when it gets gross. The bun is especially handy if you will be in an area with lots of ticks because you can wear a hat over it.

When I am backpacking I just take conditioner and CO wash.

When car camping I take my usual hair care stuff, although I do use shower gel as shampoo to eliminate one bottle, and keep them in my shower tote that stays in the car.

IStand4u
July 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone! Yes it is wild camping... well kinda. It is a camping area around a lake but there aren't any services or washrooms. It's the good ole hole in the ground for a bathroom and a big lake to wash up.
becker, I honestly forgot bandannas existed until now! I used to wear them all the time, I think I'll go and get a few tomorrow before I leave, and I'm thinking I'm bringing my hair oil for sure... idk what else.
I do have curly hair so if I brush it, it has to go up or be braided, and it's about BSL right now, so any ideas for quick styles?

Thanks so much btw!

teela1978
July 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Double braids. Comb and re-braid them when you feel like it. I wouldn't bother washing at all... make sure to put sunblock on your part though if you go hatless!

Dars
July 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM
When I go bush/river camping I only take a wide toothed comb, hair ties, bobby pins and a hat. I chuck it up in the morning and don't usually touch it, unless we go for a swim then I leave it loose. Styles? Haha...um I just do a little looped pony.

IStand4u
July 20th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas everyone! Oh and I will be swimming alot... as well as tubing! And fishing... :)

Dars
July 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Ohhh that sounds super fun! I can't wait for summer to roll around here.

klcqtee
July 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
When I go camping, I use it as an opportunity to DT. Slather my hair in olive oil, put it in a braid, and leave it that way the entire week. I'll rebraid it if it comes out, but otherwise I don't bother. If you're concerned about your ends, you can bring a small bottle with more oil in it, just to reapply and deal with any fly-aways.

HTH!

IStand4u
July 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
It will be fun!

Thanks klcqtee, it did help! I'll try that, though I'm thinking I'll just bring my whole small bottle of hair oil that I mixed. It's half castor-sp? oil and half sweet almond oil, and for some reason smells like iced tea! I love it!

HikerTrash
July 20th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Went backpacking for 3 months straight last summer. I put my hair in one or two braids and wore a hat and/or bandana. Washed every 4 days or so when I hit the next town. It was great for getting my head used to not having to be washed so much. If you are swimming every day, you'll be a step ahead of where I was as far as having clean hair.

Kleis
July 20th, 2010, 10:10 PM
For five days? I'd bring nothing. Okay, no, I'd bring a little squirt bottle of oil and my comb, then keep it mostly braided. You'll be fine!

ladycaladium
July 20th, 2010, 10:14 PM
How often do you usually shampoo? If you only do it every four days or so I'd say wash the night before or morning that you are leaving. Bring a some conditioner or oil just incase. When I was younger I was in the lake everyday, kept my hair in one or two braids and basically didn't touch it with shampoo until fall. I feel my hair was at it's best then. When I go camping now I favor bandanas and hats, as well as securing my hair in a braid of some sort.

On a side note, my mom used to live in upper Saskatchewan, in Uranium City. Just a random side note.

Charlotte:)
July 20th, 2010, 11:26 PM
You're camping; you don't need to be clean :)

Aleria
July 21st, 2010, 12:00 AM
When I go on extended camping trips, I braid it in a ton of tiny braids (think pencil sized), then it doesn't really need to be washed at all.

dropinthebucket
July 21st, 2010, 08:49 AM
I hear you on wanting to pack light. We once went camping with nothing but two poles, a tarp, the canoe, and one rucksack, for a week (ex was into survivalist mode). I didn't dare pack anything that wasn't a matter of life and death- I had to carry the rucksack! :) and as I found out after it rained for a full day, that thing weighs a lot wet! Maybe not great advice, but if you don't wash your hair at all while you're out in the bush, that first shower when you get back to civilization - heaven! :)

IStand4u
July 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM
How often do you usually shampoo? If you only do it every four days or so I'd say wash the night before or morning that you are leaving. Bring a some conditioner or oil just incase. When I was younger I was in the lake everyday, kept my hair in one or two braids and basically didn't touch it with shampoo until fall. I feel my hair was at it's best then. When I go camping now I favor bandanas and hats, as well as securing my hair in a braid of some sort.

On a side note, my mom used to live in upper Saskatchewan, in Uranium City. Just a random side note.

I usually shampoo every 4-5 days or so... well wash my hair anyway. Sometimes every other day, depends on my mood. I went camping last year at the same lake before I joined here and I felt my hair too was pretty much at it's best... lake water seems to work miracles!

Wow, really? She lived in Uranium City? I've never been there but I've heard about it! I would love to visit there! I'm only going up to Hackett Lake, so it's not too far from where I am, about 4 hours North of me.

Thank you to everyone! I'm not so worried about packing light anymore!

florenonite
July 21st, 2010, 01:04 PM
For wilderness camping, I don't bring anything. If my hair were more prone to tangling, I'd maybe bring a comb, but that's it. I'm going canoe tripping this weekend, and all I'm bringing are a hat, bandana and maybe a hair elastic or two. My hair's quite short right now, but when it was longer I used to do two French braids and leave them in for up to a week, detangling in the water when I went swimming.

If you must bring shampoo bars or any form of detergent, DO NOT USE THEM IN THE LAKE. You should never put that stuff in the lake; even biodegradable stuff needs the soil to actually biodegrade. Instead, fill a bucket with water from the lake and walk a good distance away from the water (I think the recommendation is 50 feet, but I can't remember). Do what you need to do, dig a hole, and pour the soapy water in there.

ptnicole
July 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
We camp pretty much every weekend and go on long hunting trips. 2 french braids never fail me.

Have fun!

Othala
July 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Wash your hair thoroughly the night before you leave and lightly oil your length only from the ears down. Keep it in braids and forget about it until you get back.

Have a great trip!

Sofoulee
July 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
When I go on extended camping trips, I braid it in a ton of tiny braids (think pencil sized), then it doesn't really need to be washed at all.

I once saw a long-time member do this. She had gone on a multi-month long trekking trip and put her almost knee-length hair in small braids. If you don't mind putting the extra time and effort in, I think this would be a great way to wear your hair. You can always pull all of the braids back and put them into a pony or just braid it into one big braid. :)

eezepeeze
July 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
I would braid it and forget it. The braids will help protect it and if you do a songle English braid, you can pull the braid through the hole in the back of a ballcap, so you're protected from the sun and ticks. That's all I would take...a hat, and hairbands.

I might take a bar of soap or a bottle of shower gel if I were going to try to wash in a lake or river. But, honestly, do you really want to wash your hair in the lake water?

I would use any gunkiness or greasiness to my advantage, because it would act as a hair gel and keep my braids in place better. You said it's only for 5 days, right? I only wash my hair once every 5 days anyway. I'd be more concerned with deodorant, bug spray, and anti itch cream.

IStand4u
July 27th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Thanks everyone! I put it mostly into either a single french braid or two low rope braids, wind from fishing isn't nice to my hair! The lake water was fine, and washed my hair well enough, it is actually really clear water. I took my newest hair fork with me (look in my album if you want to see it) and that helped when I wanted to bun the braid for starting fires and cooking. Oh, and get this, I got back and instead of my hair being an inch above my waist when it's wet, it's now down to my waist! Pics will come soon I think... But I am so happy!

PineappleJello
July 27th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I was camping last Saturday and I brought my Coconut Oil, Shampoo and Condish Bars as well as some bag balm (not related to hair). It was awesome to have the bars for washing my hair (under a lovely little pump in the campsite). However I left it in the tent one day and our hot Canadian summer made the bar melt into a rather odd shape, luckily it was in a ziploc bag and contained. My coconut oil would melt every day and turn hard at night no matter where I left it. I enjoyed using it on my hair to get that firepit nasty out of my hair and then I'd put it up in a clip where I couldn't think about my ends.

A little off topic, the balm meltd everywherer, it seeped out the bottom.