PDA

View Full Version : Amino Acids Rebuilding Hair?

Beatrice
July 20th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I've found a few threads here about amino acids, and it comes up occasionally when I google protein. So I decided to google "'amino acids' hair" and I found this link:

http://www.pgdermatology.com/downloads/documents/P1509-McMaster-replenish.pdf

Wish I had the time and knowledge to understand the experiment better. I still have a lot of questions like, did the amino acids actually bind to the hair, or are they just floating around in the cortex? At any rate, I'm thinking that amino acids are something to keep an eye on. I've heard about the Bragg's Aminos/soy sauce treatment, but I'm afraid of the salt. I may just purchase one of these treatments with wheat aminos, to be on the safe side.

Flaxen
July 20th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Interesting! Here's a quick summary of how I read it:

1. They identified 6 amino acids that are lost from the hair due to weathering.
2. Three of those, lysine, histidine, and tyrosine, are stable in cosmetics.
3. Shampoos and treatments with those aminos added result in the aminos penetrating to the cortex of the hair.
4. Multiple treatments and multiple applications increased the relative amount of aminos replenished.
5. Hair damaged by chemical treatments absorbed the most aminos.

I didn't see anything about the aminos binding, just penetrating. From that I would assume that you need to keep using the treatments to keep the amino levels up. That makes sense. Even the aminos that are part of the hair are lost to weathering in the first place.

About the Bragg's amino acids, I don't know if those three are in there, but I can tell you that I did some calculations a while back, and the sodium level of a concentration of 1Tablespoon in 1 Cup of water is no higher than blood sodium level. :)

danacc
July 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Great article--thank you for posting this.