PDA

View Full Version : split ends from... traveling??

sugarmag
July 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new here and have a question...

I live in Virginia and recently traveled to Alaska on vacation. Before I left, I did a thorough "inspection" of my ends and trimmed off any splits I could find (I believed it is referred to as the search and destroy method here). My hair seemed to be in pretty good shape at the time.

Well, a few days into my trip, I took a look at my ends and every single one had a tiny white dot at the end or was a straight up split... Every single one!

Has anyone else experienced this sort of mass splitting from traveling? I didn't do anything else differently.. Besides use a hotel shampoo and conditioner - it was Neutrogena. I used my oils as I normally do on the ends everyday, but that didn't make a difference of course.

Now that I'm home again in VA, I can hardly find any splits at all. It's like they have miraculously healed, which I didn't think was possible. I'm confused. Any ideas? :confused:

Rivanariko
July 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM
As far as splits while traveling, I'd guess that the water might have been harder where you traveled to? My hair splits a LOT faster if I'm in a hard water area than otherwise.

But having them magically heal when you get home... I have no idea. :confused:

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I've never experienced anything like that! Were the scissors that you used sharp, or dull? Dull scissors can actually cause the hair to be prone to splitting again at the "clean-cut" edge.

Did you change your product regimen while traveling? The only explanation that I can think of for the miraculously disappearing splits is that you used coney products for a while, which glued the splits together, then switched to cone free, causing the splits to show themselves, then switched back to cones at which point the damage was again disguised. I'm not sure if this is probable though .. :confused:

Hope you find an answer :)

sugarmag
July 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hmmm... I have hard water here at home, but maybe the water in Alaska is even harder. I wonder if that's the culprit. Strange about the splits fixing themselves, tho... I just don't get it.

sugarmag
July 20th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Ah-ha! The scissors I used I think were a bit dull... However, I didn't trim every single strand of hair with them. I think those splits were there all along and probably were masked by cones, like you said. Well... now I guess the test will be to use a conditioner I know doesn't have any cones in it and see what my hair looks like. Stay tuned...

JenniferNoel
July 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Hmmm. I heard a story very similar to this one a while back while at lunch with some girls who were frequent cone users. It may actually just be a mixture of both dull scissors and splits revealing themselves. *lurk*

heynormy
July 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Oh I wish my split ends could magically repair themselves!!! :D