PDA

View Full Version : Ignore your hair and let it grow....

ptnicole
July 20th, 2010, 04:17 PM
There are so many posts where the envied long hair goddesses say they just ignored their hair and the next thing they knew they had BSL or waist or hip lengths.

So my question is, did you keep visiting LHC while your hair was in its bun or did you leave LHC for periods of time?

I am literally addicted to this website :o....I hope when I reach my goal there is a 12-step program to cure this addiction!

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm happy with the length that my hair currently is, however, it seems that it grows more quickly the times I am not hanging around here as much, for the simple reason that it's on a back burner of my mind - no constant reminders.

I haven't felt the need to leave LHC for any period of time yet, however I'm sure there will be times when I am not as active on the boards as others.

12 step addiction program .. Yes! :p

Gumball
July 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I let it grow and judge length by when I happen to hit a new body milestone. That doesn't stop my addiction to this place! I still hang around all the dang time, but don't ask me how long my hair is in inches or centimeters!

ptnicole
July 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
WOW...cheers :beercheer: to both you on your gorgeous locks! I don't measure so that helps me not be too neurotic about my hair. This forum has such good advice....I have to stop in at least a few times a week!

Feng-Shui
July 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM
First I read all theoretical knowledge which here my brain store could.

Then I have to use begun this knowledge in practice.

In this time I came not very often ago because I rest needed and not confusion in my brain.

Were too many information for me at the beginning.

This phase took approximately 6 months.

In this time I have the first program for my hair compiled to it optimally functioned.

Then I came back around new knowledge for experiments to get.

In this time I daily here and nearly already was as possessed.

Now my program with now and then small changes stands.

I does most unconsciously now and therefore is it simply my hair in rests to leave.

I come to LHC around to read which it new give occasionally.

To some times I come each day.

At some times I come some weeks or months not.

Most time if I is I come here to reads and to I does not write not very frequently more.

I write only if I something time for it have or a person something to say me appear important.

I think the time you healing will bring.:lol:

HairColoredHair
July 20th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I put it up and mostly ignore it... I still come here for ideas on how to pamper it. :)

spidermom
July 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
To get my mind out of my hair, I came here every day to obsess about everybody else's hair.

embee
July 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I come here because there's so much going on and it's interesting. It's comfortable here for me. :)

My hair grew while I was ignoring it, but I had not yet found LHC.

ptnicole
July 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Spidermom, you are right! So much amazing hair here. Maybe mine will grow faaster through osmosis..ahahaha.

Teazel
July 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I ignore my hair as much as possible - for its own good - heck, most days I don't even comb it. But I still check up on LHC regularly, mostly to keep up with the doings of the people I've come to care for here, but also for hair-related motivation. A post I just read reminded me that it's time I did a full moisture treatment (SMT and oiling), for example. :)

I'm slightly obsessed with length at the moment because I'm so close to my goal of knee-length, and I'm afraid I'll never get there. But I only measure once a month.

LittleOrca
July 20th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Obsessed! I am checking on this site all the time trying to find out the newest thing to do to my hair to make it happy or the newest toys for my hair to help me ignore it or what to do with it.

I try to ignore my hair, but I cannot help but pamper it or oil it or do something. I know I need to ignore it and let it do it's thing and grow, but part of me can't. I need to know it's growing. I need to know I am getting somewhere because I often feel like I am getting no where.

Juneii
July 20th, 2010, 05:25 PM
To get my mind out of my hair, I came here every day to obsess about everybody else's hair.

This. I realized I have been ignoring my hair since waist and haven't even noticed that my hair reached hip until I felt my hair brush against the waistband of my jeans :o

I spend most of my time on here haunting the swap board for something I like and can afford (haven't found any yet but I hope one day...) and reading through threads like these :D

freckles
July 20th, 2010, 05:52 PM
My hair seemed to grow from neck to BSL pretty fast -- in actuality, it took over two years, but I didn't notice because I didn't care about my hair. This was pre-LHC. I think it would be a lot harder to ignore my hair now that I've found LHC :D

pepperminttea
July 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I have to admit, I was away from LHC this spring for about five months working on my undergrad dissertation, and suddenly my hair had gone from just past BSL to almost at waist. It was a pleasant surprise. :o I'm also less enabled to buy hair toys when I'm not here. :p But on the other hand, I don't learn new styles or share info on new products, so it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

New Choppy Cut
July 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I'm no "long haired goddess" to quote the original message. But I did once grow my hair because I knew I would have to put it up for work in the future. And I did forget about it for 20 months (ie kept it tied up all the time), then had "a trim" of about 4 inches, but my hair had gone from bob to long.

SeaShell
July 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I think its just one of those things when you can't wait for something to happen it seems to take much longer. When my hair was in that in between stage it seemed to never grow, but now that I'm not so obsessed over getting to BSL it seems to be growing a lot faster. But trust me after a while you'll think about it less and enjoy this site for the support and community rather than just obsessively comparing growth. Good luck :flower:

heynormy
July 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Actually being here distracts me from my hair! If not, I might be spending all my time experimenting on my hair!

going gray
July 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM
This site gives me inspiration....... .....so many lovely long hair ladies!

sarahbrownie
July 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
A little bit of both. I rarely post here because though I am so into my hair there is so much I can talk about it. It's almost BSL and even though finding new hair care routines and hair toys is interesting there isn't much I can do with it or talk about. A few weeks ago was my first time in x amount of months that I just took leave (this place is amazing, don't get me wrong!) I felt I was blue in the face for talking about my hair (not to insult anyone but you know, hair grows slow and life goes on...lol). There is only so much you can do. I like the idea of ignoring your hair for a while and waking up one day to be your goal length. I can't be like that though, I'm constantly doing a side view to see where it hits my back.

klcqtee
July 20th, 2010, 10:10 PM
APL to BSL took forever!..probably because APL is such an awkward length on me, and it gelt like I was there for a long time. Now that I've reached BSL, my hair is growing faster, as SeaShell mentioned. I think that's simply because BSL is when I finally consider my hair to be long. I'm okay with it. It's finally an acceptable length for me. Now I'm trying to focus on health as it grows out, not just on length. The good news is: I'm not longer obsessed with length. The bad news is: I have the extreme urge to constantly trim my hair to remove old damage.

Win some, lose some!

mintyhot
July 20th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I don't measure it constantly, maybe once in a while when it comes up in a thread. Although, I am obsessive always looking around for ways to make my hair healthy. So in a sense I don't ignore my hair, but i try not to worry about growth stalls and such. I would rather my hair be this length and super healthy, than super long and in horrible condition. :)

countryhopper
July 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM
Well, my hair went from chin to past shoulder super-fast (pre-LHC) because I wore it twisted and clipped in a claw clip every day and never paid much attention to it.

From 18.5" (my first measurement on the site) on, it has taken FOREVER! It doesn't help that I spend so much time on the site, and check the back of my loose hair in the mirror several times a day!

Grow, hair, GROW!!

Ulvashi
July 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM
Its very true

The thing is all the care and gentleness doesnt really contribute anything to growth....Really unless you are taking a very very poor diet, have been very sick or something alike.... the growth goes on as usual.... all this care is to keep the cuticles healthy thats it.....

I didnt used keep my scalp clean...my hair grew during the time of pre-tween, tween and teenage hood and u know how great our diet is mostly....so yeah no great diet either....my mamma never oiled my hairs....never.....nor she did any especial treatments whatsoever.....I never kept my scalp sparkly clean, no lots of water, no physical exercises either as my dad is well never let us go outside play with others and sports were a no for me at that time cuz I had a few attacks of asthma when I was around 7-10 (I dont have it anymore now its just dust allergy)......So yeah no physical exercise....

The only reason my hairs are sooooo long is that my dad refused to take me to salon to get them chopped when I used to beg him ( I made sure that he really regret it now :D).....

In short no care at all.....yet I have hair past my hips since I have been in 7th-8th grade....and I had a bob cut when I was in 3rd-4th grade.....

Still even now I started oiling them only because I got really sick, then had lots of exams stress (I just had my 12th grad finals), and since mamma left us we have to eat restaurant food which isnt really the healthiest of all......I now I have many split ends....The growth is still just the same even when everything is hyper upset....

bte
July 21st, 2010, 01:15 AM
...I hope when I reach my goal there is a 12-step program to cure this addiction!

An LHC addiction is incurable, but has so many benefits that it doesn't matter.

meph
July 21st, 2010, 02:15 AM
I don't stop visiting LHC when I forget about my hair. I really like coming here and reading about a lot of things, after all this place has a wealth of information about a lot of topics.

Monsterkitti
July 21st, 2010, 02:48 AM
I still come here very often even though im ignoring my hair as much as I can, its nice to see everyone elses gorgeous hair as inspiration and there is so many ideas and new experiments to read about :)

Sammich
July 21st, 2010, 03:11 AM
I'm still so insanely addicted, and I've been addicted since 2008 when my hair was APL! :( Gaah, now I'm waist and I still feel addicted, I thought if my hair was longer... It'd be much more easier to ignore because it's long! :p LOL, I was so wrong, now I'm obsessive about the thickness. *Snarl* :p
I'm going on a ignore-the-hair course now. ;)
I'll still keep comin here. :p

jackiesjottings
July 21st, 2010, 06:27 AM
I joined here in 2006 but have only just become active, so most of my growing has been done whilst not active here. But I did obsess about my length a lot in my earlier growing days, and longed for the day when I could post on the very long hair community on Livejournal!! I am very close to my target now. I am sure I would have longed for longer hair even more had I been properly active here from joining. I do love it here, somewhere where we can talk long hair to our hearts content but not annoy those not interested (I have a very tolerant friends list on my blog!!)

Siava
July 21st, 2010, 06:30 AM
There are so many posts where the envied long hair goddesses say they just ignored their hair and the next thing they knew they had BSL or waist or hip lengths.

So my question is, did you keep visiting LHC while your hair was in its bun or did you leave LHC for periods of time?

I am literally addicted to this website :o....I hope when I reach my goal there is a 12-step program to cure this addiction!

I was totally addicted just like you when I first joined, then took a hiatus for a few months. I came back in full force a couple of months ago and am addicted all over again. This time is different though; I'm much more into reading blogs this go around and that has kept my interest going.

FrannyG
July 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM
It was almost impossible for me to ignore my hair and let it grow for the first few months after I joined.

However, in time, I started focusing on other peoples' posts here and I slowly stopped being obsessed with my own length. It didn't stop my LHC addiction though.

I did take a break from LHC about 2 years ago, that lasted about 15 months, but it didn't change anything about the way I cared for or thought about my own hair.

Once I came back to LHC, here I am every day again. :)

You will hopefully get into a groove where you just check your length once a month, treat your hair well, but otherwise forget about it. The impatience does go away; at least it did for me. And I had a lot to be impatient about when I had to cut several inches off of my hair a couple of times.

jasper
July 21st, 2010, 06:41 AM
I didn't know about LHC while I was ignoring and growing. I stumbled on the bun it and forget it method on my own.

jane53
July 21st, 2010, 06:45 AM
My hair has been long for 45 years and I never worried about length nor did I ever bun it and forget it. I wore it in a pony tail or half up, got trims, and always had hip-to-tailbone length hair.

I came to LHC not to grow but to get ideas for hair styles.

MsBubbles
July 21st, 2010, 06:45 AM
I don't obsess over my own hair length any more, but I do still covet other people's nice hair photos and wish mine were as long/healthy/thick. So that's kind of silly.

But you can keep coming here and start obsessing about updos or moisture treatments to take your mind off hair-growing. That works!

Henrietta
July 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM
Let's figure out this 12-step program:D

I am trying to ignore my hair. Updo in the morning and then I am just doing my sleeping updo before going to bed. I am trying not to look at it:D But I still spend whole days on TLHC. It doesn't make me thinking about the hair but I have more and more knowledge:)

Merewen
July 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM
I joined LHC, measured my hair, completely obsessed over it being short for a week or so, and then realized that my hair will always look like it did the day before and will take years (and years!) to get to my goal length. No way I'm going to torture myself like that for so long. So now I just obsess over washing methods and products and S&D and updos and hair toys and hanging out on LHC in general. I let myself measure every so often if I feel it's getting long, but mostly I won't allow myself more than a passing glance in the mirror at the length.

Mexibeach
July 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM
I have to come her to admire everyone elses long hair fotos while waiting for my hair to grow. Only regret; that I would have found this website before I had mine cut.........

Long_hair_guy
July 21st, 2010, 09:59 AM
I ignored my hair (apart from moving it out of my eyes until one day I was walking passed a blacked out window (was has clear has a mirror) and I noticed how long my hair was. It just felt like one of those wow moments. My hair was around the armpit area

Fairlight63
July 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
I had always had short hair, wanted to grow it longer but it would get about shoulder length & I would cut if off for some reason.
Then I started growing it out long again about 3 yrs. ago, found LHC and started coming here for ideas on how to take care of it & hairdo ideas. Also for support for growing out long grey hair. You all make long grey hair sound beautiful so maybe it was OK for me to have long grey hair & not look old.
Also when you get older (I'm 65) time goes by faster for some reason, maybe that helps also, LOL Before I knew it 3 yrs. had gone by & my hair is now almost to waist, longer than it has EVER been!

Kimarie91
July 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM
I let mine grow while I was pregnant in 2006, then got it trimmed. Let it grow until sometime last summer and went for a "trim", nearly started crying when I left. Ever since I've kept it in a ponytail or bun secured with a hair tie and now it's pretty long.

Basically, I am happy look and learn from everyone some nicer ways of styling!

HairColoredHair
July 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
My hair has been long for 45 years and I never worried about length nor did I ever bun it and forget it. I wore it in a pony tail or half up, got trims, and always had hip-to-tailbone length hair.

I came to LHC not to grow but to get ideas for hair styles.

There's a difference between HAVING long hair and WANTING long hair.

I find it's wanting longer hair that tends to require the put-up-and-forget method, not already having it.

LuXious
July 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
I want to ignore my hair, but it's so short.

Theobroma
July 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
I find it's wanting longer hair that tends to require the put-up-and-forget method, not already having it.

This. One of the nicest things about making a commitment to wearing it up all the time is that you don't constantly see that it's not the length you want and won't be for several years yet. As a matter of fact, LHC is helping me NOT obsess about my length by shifting the focus of my obsession to hairtoys! :D

squiggyflop
July 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM
i mostly ignore my hair (except that i do trim very very often.. 21 inches trimmed in 35 months).. but i still visited LHC.. i need something to do during the day after all.. i generally ignore my hair out of pure lazyness not out of a hope that it will grow faster when im not looking..

i mostly hang out in the friendship/health/pet ponderings section.. i used to hang in the hobbies area until the selfmade hairtoys thread was moved into the conventional products area (which i dont understand because making hairtoys is totally a hobby just like normal crafts.. and making your own hairtoys is in no was 'conventional')

Deb!
July 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM
I came here every day to obsess about everybody else's hair.

As do I! :D

Smile4Kiki
July 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
As a kid I had a short bowl cut hair up until around 1st grade. By the time I was in 5th grade I had hip length hair that I cut to apl in 6th grade and then chin length in 7th. From then on I went back and forth from chin to bsl and back to chin. What I've come to realize is that when I never payed attention to my hair it seems to grow super quick. I do find that lhc makes me think about my hair way more than I used to which makes the growth seem slower but at the same time it helps me resist the urge to chop when I see all the beautiful long hairs. And I learn ways to keep my hair healthy while growing :D

jera
July 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
I guess I'm a little different because I'm very hair obsessed. I think of it most of the time, ( except while I'm working,:p) and I celebrate every inch of it, every mini milestone brings me delight.
I have left LHC a couple of times due to family emergencies, but it was only for a couple of months. After I achieve my hair goals, I'd like to stay here anyway and help others solve their hair problems the way so many helped me when I was a newbie. ;)

virgo75
July 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
My hair grew quickly some years ago when I ignored it.
Went from a chin length bob to beyond waist length within a few years.
I washed it when it was dirty and gave myself little deep treatments as a treat, but that's about it besides all the chemicals and heat I abused it with.

Now I'm treating better, but can't. leave. it. alone.

It's an obsession at this point and I wish I could just forget about it, but I'm always playing in it. I wash it almost daily, and have about a billion products for my hair. I'm always trying to find the "perfect" combination of products for my hair and I have lots to choose from.

{rant} stupid pantene changing their formula and scent, if they hadn't my hair would probably be past my butt by now. i only started experimenting with stuff when they changed and i had to find something else. jerks {end rant}

Thankfully, it's growing at a healthy pace, I just wish I knew how to forget about it so I could be surprised when it's long. :lol:

cheriemonty
July 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
I try to stop obsessing but I just can't help myself,lol.

Joliebaby
July 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
I was gone two years. I was pregnant first and then I had a newborn - didn't care about my hair that much at the time. My hair went from neck length to almost bsl, with two trims. Then it was a perfect time to come back and start "growing" because it wasn't discouragingly short anymore :D
Patience is NOT my middle name LOL!

JenniferNoel
July 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Since I don't feel like ignoring it and don't enjoy wearing it up all that much, I'm going to dye every other two inches of outgrow black, leaving blond stripes throughout the length. Horizontal black/blond stripes just like I did years ago. I'm already obtaining my first stripe as we speak! :cool:
I just want to enjoy my hair at every length.

ptnicole
July 23rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
JenniferNoel...can hardly wait to see progress pics as you grow! What fun!:D

windinherhair
July 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
I've just been letting my hair grow, with the advice from LHC I have and what I know that works for me. I still love coming to the board often, and there is always something new and interesting to read.

LuXious
July 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Since I don't feel like ignoring it and don't enjoy wearing it up all that much, I'm going to dye every other two inches of outgrow black, leaving blond stripes throughout the length. Horizontal black/blond stripes just like I did years ago. I'm already obtaining my first stripe as we speak! :cool:
I just want to enjoy my hair at every length. I could never ever deal with that on my own head, but I bet it will look amazing on you. Ya know... once you've grown some nice stripes, you could even streak it horizontally and get checkers! Or just do it in some spots so you would have stripes and blocks of checkers. Woah. Or you could add Manic Panic to some of the blonde stripes so you could have a purple or lime green stripe. The possibilities are endless. So this is really the opposite of ignoring your hair, I guess. :p

EdG
July 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I reached terminal length shortly after joining LHC. My hair doesn't change over time.

Nevertheless, I check the board several times a day. :D
Ed

littleflowerr
July 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
It was so hard for me to put up my hair and ignore it but... i got to the point where i felt very frustrated with my length (its been this length for awhile because i've been 'trying' to maintain to rid of some layers and thicken hemline from the extreme V-cut i had at almost bsl). So now i just look at it with pity and put it up whatever way i can and ignore it. Its hard for me to do updo's because i get such terrible headaches and soreness :[ so i try french braiding mostly. I'm no longer maintaining though at least until a little past bsl. Which is 4 inches away.

DARKMARTIAN
July 24th, 2010, 03:49 PM
This is pretty much how I got to where im at today!....:p

Abstinence is not required..........indulge yourself.......;)

LouLaLa
July 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I reached terminal length shortly after joining LHC. My hair doesn't change over time.

Nevertheless, I check the board several times a day. :D
Ed

I must sound so silly, but could you please tellme about term growth? What does it feel like :p? Will it grow if you ever cut it or does it just mean shedding?

Congratulations, such an achivement!:cheese:

EdG
July 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I must sound so silly, but could you please tellme about term growth? What does it feel like :p? Will it grow if you ever cut it or does it just mean shedding?

Congratulations, such an achivement!:cheese:That's a good question.

Reaching terminal length just means that the shed rate and growth rate have become the same. The hair is continually growing. It's just shedding at the same rate so that old hairs get replaced with new ones and the overall length doesn't change.

There are many philosophical descriptions of terminal length. It has been described as achieving nirvana or a perfect state of equilibrium. :meditate:

I found terminal length to be disappointing - like reaching the end of the rainbow and discovering there is no pot of gold. :( Or coming to the realization that a presumed hair god is merely mortal after all. :o

There may be truth to the adage that the journey is more fun than the destination. ;) At the same time, there is truth in the adage that one can never go back. :D
Ed

LouLaLa
July 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Thankyou Ed! hat was a really interesting read :)

It looks really fantastic and maybe although it feels like a bit of a disappointment to find it was differnt from what you thought, it must be nice to know you inspire others to continue the journey and posess such patience to make it there themselves.

Its a pretty rare spirit who has such determination!

EdG
July 25th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Thankyou Ed! hat was a really interesting read :) LouLaLa, I wish you the best in your hair journey! :)
Ed

MirandaWelch
July 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Funny I should log on here for the first time in about six months and this is the first post I see ;)

I was at BSL back in January and now I'm at Waist. And yep I pretty much just kept it back in a ponytail and ignored it the whole time.

Nyghtingale
July 25th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I love this site. I am here several times a day.

I tend to leave my hair bunned most of the time and am just now learning some braiding.

There is just so much to learn here.

Oskimosa
July 25th, 2010, 11:07 AM
It depends. There have been a few periods where I feel down about my own hair and its growth rate and looking at other hair doesn't make me feel better so I don't visit as often. I also go through periods where I log in many times a day. Right now I'm not on much because I have alot going on. I'm not paying much attention to my hair either, since I want to trim but won't let myself until after September.

Realistically, I don't think many members are here day in and day out to only look at hair things. The feel of this community is so nurturing, you can't help but make friends here. Half of the reason I log on is to check blogs and see how certain members are doing, or to seek help, sympathy, or guidance from them, unrelated to hair.

StormiDoodle
July 25th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I really had to leave my hair and ignore it and let it grow. I was on this forum years ago when my hair was shoulder length, and after gleaning some healthy information, walked away and kept my hair bunned and ignored for several years. Now with hair long enough I can do things with it (like hairstyles)! I'm happy to be back.

redneckprincess
July 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM
my problem is when I dont frequent LHC enough, THEN im tempted to cut...so I try to come by at least once a week or so, even if its only on my phone...

Mexibeach
July 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I want to ignore my hair, but it's so short.

Ahhhh! I hear ya. I think it will be easier to ignore when it hits shoulder length and longer...... monthsssss from now........ :o

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I've been here the entire time I have belonged to LHC. I benignly ignore my hair - no styling, no fussing over it, I just put it up in buns and such with pretty hairtoys, oil it once or twice a week, SMT every other week, and dye once every 4-5 months. I snap a shot once a month to document progress, but I'm not staring in the mirror daily willing it to grow! lol

I like the people here, I enjoy the threads, I'm addicted to hairtoys - so I stay here because I have no one in real life to chat with about any of this sort of thing.

I'm not a hair goddess, (yet) alas, and I don't ignore my hair as much as others manage to - but I definitely find that not obsessing over my hair leads to many "Oh, wow, would you look at that" moments. :)

I obsess over the things I put in my hair, way more than my hair itself, I'm afraid! lol

Messyhair
July 26th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I come on the site lots while growing out! Before and now. How else will I know what the heck I'm doing wrong to my hair??

klcqtee
July 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I've found that once I started treating my hair well, and established a routine of what works for me, I can easily ignore my hair. I still feel in the shower if it's waist length yet (still not, darn!), I check to see how my updos are, and see occasionally if I can find a new updo that works, but other than that, I'm just ignoring it.

I know what works (cone free CO, as often as necessary, Fox's Shea Butter Cream, the occaisional EVOO soak as needed), and I don't bother messing with anything else. This is the best my hair has ever been, so unless there's a problem, no reason to mess with it.

bunzfan
February 8th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I am trying this for 8 weeks because checking my growth every 3 weeks only makes it frustrating.

StellaKatherine
February 8th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I am new here and for the first time i measured my hair just for puting my hair length on the page, otherwise i totally ignore my hair. I do wash it, i do take good care of it, but i do not measure or look in the mirror to see how long is it now. I actually have 0 idea how fast or how slow my hair grows. I think if i would start cheking my hair condition and measuring it all the time - i would go nuts :D

jen023
February 8th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I'm really obsessed in my hair grow. At the time is chin lenght, I wearing up of a month and planning maybe more. But is hard see beautifull hair in this site.

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM
My hair was just a bit shy of classic length by the time I joined my first long hair board. It's a website that no longer exists. Then I migrated here and by that time my hair was about mid-thigh length. Now I'm at mid-calf.

I always kind of ignored my hair, and I somewhat still do. It works.

heidi w.

MissHair
February 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I have to say leaving this site didn't go down well for my hair. I took a 1,5 year break at one point and my hair almost didn't grow at all and I forgot how to manage it. Not only that but I also forgot to take part in all the great tips that are shared on this site. So thanks to being ''addicted'' to this forum I've continued my regimen and I've taken upon all the great tips that keep coming and my hair is looking more shinier than ever before. I feel like I lose my faith in growing long hair if I don't think about it everyday.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I wore mine up last summer pony tail and then bun when it was long enough. I would oil and monistat my hair daily and wash and condition weekly the rest of the time I didn't measure it. I sort of left it alone and let it grow.

elbow chic
February 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM
ha, yes, I had to take an LHC-break for a few months. My hair does not do well with elaborate routines, as I get product buildup in no time. It is also pretty thick so bun/updo options always seem limited... "look what SHE can do at APL, and here I can barely manage a cinnabun! wah!"

Was at "can I call this BSL?" around September, and is now firmly at MBL.

Now I'm getting impatient for waist. lol Maybe time to take a break again.

Euphoria.Dame
February 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I can't stop obsessing! It's just so exciting.

Hollyfire3
February 8th, 2012, 02:16 PM
WOW...cheers :beercheer: to both you on your gorgeous locks! I don't measure so that helps me not be too neurotic about my hair. This forum has such good advice....I have to stop in at least a few times a week!

Lol! Neurotic...no no no, you can't use my nerousis to justify your own! Hello, neurotic people, back to my nerousis...oh right which one were we talking about agian, the hair one! just a few quotes lol....this place is so addicting, its like, let me just respond to a PM...5 hrs later...alright, finally done with that..oh look a new post! Yeah, i don't go away just because i want my hair to grow, i still hang around forever and ever every chance i get!

Hollyfire3
February 8th, 2012, 02:18 PM
ha, yes, I had to take an LHC-break for a few months. My hair does not do well with elaborate routines, as I get product buildup in no time. My hair is pretty thick so bun/updo options always seem limited... "look what SHE can do at APL, and here I can barely manage a cinnabun! wah!"

Mine was at "can I call this BSL?" around September, and is now firmly at MBL.

Now I'm getting impatient for waist. lol Maybe time to take a break again.

The bun thing is so me, i look at others who are at APL and i'm nearly BSL and can barely do a cinnabun...it falls out without two well placed hair sticks...oh well, i love my thick hair anyway!

Amber_Maiden
February 8th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I ignore my hair, and obsessing about other people's hair helps me do that.

ratgirldjh
February 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM
When I first came here (and for a long time after) I was constantly obsessing about my hair and trying new things.

Finally I have found a routine(s) that work for me and if I feel the need to experiment I know what I am allergic to and what works and so I have proven options to choose from.

My hair was a little longer than BSL and I cut it to a bob last summer! So I'm in the process of growing again and trying not to obsess on my hair.

It is just now to the point where I can wear it up with some hair toys so that is good :)

But I still come here even though I know not to start trying everything since I am allergic to so many things... grrr

Moonlake
February 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Vanille_
February 8th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I have a dillema. On one hand, I want to fix my hem line. On the other hand, I want long hair. Solution? Wear hair up every day for a while. Out of sight, out of mind.

KwaveT
February 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I had a period where I would not last a week before I would measure my hair again. I finally made myself keep the measure rope away for a month and a half. I about absolutely obsessed over my hair much way I obsess about everything else it seems like. I notice that I am running my hands through my hair quite repeatedly out of habit. It doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of time that I am not thinking about it. I know if I can get my mind off my hair that times will take care of itself and grow much faster. Learning to not think so much about my hair is definitely something to strive for.

uptosomeone
February 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I've gone from hair obsession to keen interest in my hair since September. Since I've gotten it cut it's gotten much better though. I don't feel like I have to check where it's at so often because I know it's growing.

I take far more progress pictures than I need to though. ;)

Long_hair_bear
February 9th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I need to measure my hair this month to see if the mn is working, but after that I might put the tape measure away. I find myself in the same boat with losing weight. The more I look at the scale, they less progress I seem to make because it seems to take forever. Same with measuring my hair....

dwell_in_safety
February 9th, 2012, 06:44 PM
As has been pointed out many times, obsessing over other people's hair helps me to ignore my own. :D So far I've not had any trouble with too much obsessing over my hair or trying any complicated routines when mine works wonderfully for my hair etc. It's easy to not get sidetracked and to not care too much because of all the wonderful hair on display here every day.

elfgirl
February 9th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I've found that I obsess less over my hair when I'm on here, and obsessing over other people's hair, as others have said here :p I'm planning to measure once a month (no more) to see how much change there is. I've had my hair up in a bun for all of this week (with the exception of sleep braids. I'm wearing it in a braid today for a break), and it'll probably be in a braid again tomorrow (buns are difficult when I'm doing yoga, it's hard for me to have my head comfortable when I'm laying down in savasana) ;)

planetqueenie
February 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
first of all I must say that this month i have become more and more addicted to this website!! I guess I feel, as someone else said, comfortable here. You all know about the same things I do, and seem to care and have similar interests as me and that is super cool and refreshing:) I wish I was friends with you all!
Second, I wear my hair in a bun every single day, no joke. It's just not long enough yet to do anything fantastic with it. I used to have long hair when I was younger and I remember getting that hair book from klutz, yall know what I'm talking about? I loved it and started wearing my hair in lots of great ways, mostly in updos. Then all of a sudden, after a while, I took it down in dance class and everyone around me including myself was sort of shocked at how long my hair was! They all said wow your hair is so long, did it grow? HAHA ugh, ya obviously! that's the beauty of an updo, it protects your hair and takes your mind off of it!

Fairytale
February 9th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I put my hair in a bun for about 1 year !
Did not look in the mirror while I brushed it.

because I did not like that stage between bob and APL
Once the time was up I toke it down and looked in the mirror

To my surprise it was lower BSL !!!YAY I love IGNORING and GROWING !

Diamond.Eyes
February 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I wore mine up in damp buns or braids, soaking in either coconut oil or shea butter, almost every day for six months. I maybe wore it down once a week during this time. It was a little difficult to be in a mind-set where I wasn't constantly thinking about my hair, but after a month I hardly even thought about anything hair-related. I "ignored" it like this for six months, and in that time my hair from grew from apl to bsl. I think that was the fastest that my hair has ever grown. I wish I could get into this cycle again, but I love wearing my hair down.

Dars
February 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I ignore my hair, while still taking care of it and I take photos once a year to show my brain that yes my hair has grown! Haha. I frequent LHC less and less as time goes on, life is much more interesting :)

<3OnHerSleeve
February 9th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Currently i have no choice but to ignore it because I'm so busy. I try to remember to take my vitamins, drink green tea, but once before I noticed that due to business, my hair has grown heaps from less washing... hmmmm

Achtland
February 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I wore mine up in damp buns or braids, soaking in either coconut oil or shea butter, almost every day for six months. I maybe wore it down once a week during this time. It was a little difficult to be in a mind-set where I wasn't constantly thinking about my hair, but after a month I hardly even thought about anything hair-related. I "ignored" it like this for six months, and in that time my hair from grew from apl to bsl. I think that was the fastest that my hair has ever grown. I wish I could get into this cycle again, but I love wearing my hair down.

If this is a club I really need to be in it... I get pretty obsessive sometimes about my hair when really deep down I just need to "leave it alone" - out of sight out of mind.

Diamond.Eyes. I may try the whole shea/braid thing. Did you apply shea after your hair was damp to lock in moisture? Or just daily to dry locks? I'm trying to extend washes too so I just wonder if you left the shea/coconut oil in the whole time between washes. I find leaving my hair in a braid all day it almost feels quite dry by the end of it, so I end up taking my braid out mid-day. Perhaps soaking it and moisture locking it would help this. I'd only be worried about leaving the shea/coconut oil in for so long...

Raiscake
February 10th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I've been playing Skyrim a lot lately. This is the first time I've visited LHC in weeks!

Euphoria.Dame
February 10th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I used to play a lot of Skyrim...but then I took an arrow to the knee.

vagabundo_verde
February 10th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I agree - we just lack the patience and want to see results NOW. most come within 2-3 months (if not more sometimes), whether it is oil or diet or different products. just need patience to adjust :)

mallorykay13
February 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I was addicted and was obsessing over inches. I took a step back, focused on other things and came back in a couple months. I was like WHOA, I'm at BSL!

H o n є y ❤
May 20th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Lol! I love this statement so much!

I was wondering the same thing as the OP. I'm gonna try to ignore my hair and wear it up most of the time because this obession is driving me nuts. Let's see if I can do it! :cheer:

lapis_lazuli
May 20th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I've been doing well with ignoring my hair. I hardly have the urge to measure anymore - I found other things to focus on while it grows in the background :) It's such a great feeling when I let it down and see the progress I've made! :happydance:

Bergelmir
May 20th, 2016, 08:15 AM
I was never measuring it, the focus is not much in the exact scale but rather the overall look. I know people with beyond floor length but their hair is not necessarily interesting. Maybe you can win a price for the guinness book of world records by sheer hair length, but the shape could be terribly straight lined without any interesting artistical touch to it and when you look at the whole person there is close to no emotion nor expression. Without any heartful background able to tell a story and without shining in the sun while a wind is blowing through. What really makes hair interesting is not only the hair itself but the whole performance coming from the very core inside us, else not even the worlds longest hair could truly shine. Just like every art, even the most pinned down matter is at the same time linked to everything, else it will stay in a empty shape, full of hair and still lot of lack. I want my hair to be able to tell a story, to be able to engulf myself in a more closer way than their sheer physical appearance. It's part of me for a reason, because i truly adore it, else there is not much meaning to it and even the sheer length would be just a empty scale out of the blue and i could just cut it for practical reasons. But i dont, not because of physical scale because the do not only surround my body but even engulfing my heart.

Groovy Granny
May 20th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I was never measuring it, the focus is not much in the exact scale but rather the overall look. I know people with beyond floor length but their hair is not necessarily interesting. Maybe you can win a price for the guinness book of world records by sheer hair length, but the shape could be terribly straight lined without any interesting artistical touch to it and when you look at the whole person there is close to no emotion nor expression. Without any heartful background able to tell a story and without shining in the sun while a wind is blowing through. What really makes hair interesting is not only the hair itself but the whole performance coming from the very core inside us, else not even the worlds longest hair could truly shine. Just like every art, even the most pinned down matter is at the same time linked to everything, else it will stay in a empty shape, full of hair and still lot of lack. I want my hair to be able to tell a story, to be able to engulf myself in a more closer way than their sheer physical appearance. It's part of me for a reason, because i truly adore it, else there is not much meaning to it and even the sheer length would be just a empty scale out of the blue and i could just cut it for practical reasons. But i dont, not because of physical scale because the do not only surround my body but even engulfing my heart.

Beautiful said ~ it reminds me of Seehshami (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=126102)

If you haven't seen her pics check the link ~ beautiful hair...art in motion :thud:

I am at the point of ignoring mine....or at least not obsessing on growth for a while...maybe forever.

My length seems perfect for now and after luxuriating in the warmth it provided this past Winter, I just want to enjoy styling it over the Summer :crush:

LadyCelestina
May 20th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I am really happy that you wrote it Bergelmir, it sounds terribly sentimental tbh but it is very true :o

May 20th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Well... in the past my hair did grow when I ignored them but they were terrible... splits everywhere. So I come here to obsess more about dryness, splits, styling issues and the like. I don't care much about growth, they'll grow anyway unless I'll spontaneously cut them to bob again (did it twice already). Ignoring them is great if you have basic routine. But I don't really have that figured out just yet. Overall long means ugly hair in my case so I come here for inspiration to not cut (they're sleek when they're bob).

Simsy
May 20th, 2016, 06:36 PM
I occasionally play with mine right before wash day so I can wash the mistake tangles out but ignoring is the way to go. Buns for and sleep, and before I know it, I'm less than an inch off BCL from waist when wet and still not sure when I got there. I thought that was going to be nearly 6 months growth...

I will admit to not doing progress photos. I don't enjoy looking at my hair that way, although I love looking at everyone else's progress. I upload interesting or particularly well done buns and curl patterns, mostly as notes for holding power, longevity and how fast my hair can drop a curl without help.

lithostoic
May 20th, 2016, 07:51 PM
That's what I'm trying to do. Been pretty much keeping it in a Dutch braid at all times.

Adorkable One
May 20th, 2016, 07:56 PM
It's so hard to ignore. I find myself thinking, "oh, I have to condition it! I have to trim it!" But the more man-handle it, the worse I make it.

It's so hard for me to get past BSL. I think that's the point where it's long, but not long enough, so I can't help but fixate.

Shepherdess
May 20th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I did end up mostly ignoring my hair for a few years (during college), and it did not turn out very well. For a while I would just wrap my hair up in a bun and forget about it, and often only combing a few times a week (never when it was wet). I had some massive sheds the one year (although partly related to stress and hormones I believe), trouble with split ends, velcro feeling hair, and the like. I think that 2014 was the worst year for my hair that I ever had. My hair does not seem to do well under neglect. My scalp does not tolerate too long of stretched washes either, and likes the stimulation of daily combing and brushing. I think what was most depressing for me was how when I would measure my hair after ignoring it for so long, and finding the length was only the same and no progress, or worse, having lost a few inches of length. I think that my hair likes to be pampered. Daily moisturizing, scalp massages, gentle combing/bbb and distributing the oils throughout my length, regular S&D, and the like. I get breakage and splits very easily, especially when it gets dry, so I need to pay attention to it more I guess. I know messing around with the hair too much can cause breakage too, so I am currently trying to make a balance between caring for it on a consistent regular basis, and being gentle as possible.

rhyebud
May 20th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I have indeed noticed that it grows longer when I do not visit the forums! But I know that is only because a lot of time has passed, I just haven't been documenting it by constantly visiting the forums. I try to ignore my hair but only succeed occasionally.

Sweets
May 21st, 2016, 04:40 AM
I used to play a lot of Skyrim...but then I took an arrow to the knee.

YES!! Thank you for that :applause LOL!!!

LHC is my after-work treat. I come on here at night, after a 10-12 hour day at work, and thud over everyone's hair. I'm *still* growing out my pixie...haha. It will take a while before I can even use a hairtoy, because of my layers. Fortunately, I never had a super-awkward stage (only mildly awkward), so I have thus far avoided trims. My longest layers are SL/CBL, and it's only been 6? months since my last chop. My shortest hairs are growing out from being shaved - but I had longer tendrils in front of my ears and a faux-hawk on top. It was a great cut that grew out gracefully. My hair is longer than it has been in years, which is weird, because I had always had TBL+ hair growing up.

Relaxing at night on LHC helps me keep on pushing and keeping my goals in sight. I can't really put it up and forget it right now, but that will come in time. Right now I'm washing daily because I can't put it up. I will have to start playing with it soon, but I don't want damage from bobby pins, twisting, claw clips, etc. which I know is unfounded because right now it's brushing on my clothing and I'm constantly finger-brushing it all day. The whole journey is exciting, and with each new length there is something to learn and compromises to make.

lapushka
May 21st, 2016, 10:34 AM
Sweets, you'll get there, from what you write, that's confidence in growing right there; I have faith in you! :flower:

celtic
July 26th, 2016, 07:31 AM
This is a great idea. i have been doing it for the last 4 years and it has worked. i changed from trimming three times a year to once a year, stopped worrying about everything, just wash, condition and oil, plus brush daily with my BBB and braid for sleep, bun or braid daily. this has worked for me wonderfully.

HairPlease
July 26th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I am infamous for taking lengthy breaks from TLHC. This is the most consecutive days I've actively posted so far, lol. I get fed up with my hair not growing fast enough for me so I often decided to just say [bad word] it and leave it alone.
Last time I ignored it, I woke up with BSL hair. It worked. It's long enough now that I'm no longer frustrated with length and I'm happy to just let it grow at it's own pace from here out.

missmelaniem
July 26th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I was on here about a year ago when I first chopped, but nothing in the hair care world really changed that much since I first joined, so I disappeared and voila my hair is much longer.

I like checking in mostly to read up on regimes and see if there are any new products people are wow'ed over .... other than that the chit chat was never really my thing :)

luvlonghair75
July 26th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I joined almost 2 years ago because I wanted my longER hair. Waist to hip now range instead of the forever BSL! I often throw it up in a bun and ignore it. Since it gets oilier in the summer months, I oil condition less than I do in the winter. I've figured out what works for my hair and I'm sticking with it. So far, it works! :o

I enjoy reading other stories too, and it encourages me to continue on to keep growing!

Ashflower89
July 26th, 2016, 07:44 PM
I had to take a break from the forums to avoid obsessing and to get my hair off my mind. As it is now, I only pop in once a month to upload monthly length pictures to a few threads and that's it. I was genuinely addicted to the forum at first and it made the waiting process of growing my hair out incredibly slow and painful. Unless you're researching hair care methods or products, don't sit and stare at this forum all day if you're known to be impatient with growth. It will not help lol.