PDA

View Full Version : NOT a scrunchie!!!

Magdalene
March 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
A visitor in my office kept looking at me funny. Finally he said something about my hairdo reminding him of that Sex and the City episode about the scrunchies.

I politely informed him that I was not wearing a scrunchie.

He said, "no, but it's pretty close."

I was wearing a figure-8 bun with a Bronze jewelers corkscrew.

:confused:

Lize
March 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM
LOL! That was very strange indeed. I wonder if he knows what a scrunchie is... :D

Silver & Gold
March 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
He's a man, forgive him . . . he knows not what he says.

*snickers at the silly, silly male types*

chelles2kids
March 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Lize, that was my thought too. It sounds like he's a typical man and doesn't know what the heck a scrunchie is.

Magdelene, it would have taken all of my self-control not to have asked him if he even knew what he was talking about.
Then taken my corkscrew out and jabbed him with it.:p

Michelle

Patrycja
March 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
haha I love that episode :laugh:

why does every man think that all hairtoys are scrunchies?

justgreen
March 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, 'popularity' points plummeted drasically for Sarah Jessica Parker after that episode aired. I could almost hear LHC'rs gasping around the world!:p

SaveTheTapirs
March 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah, 'popularity' points plummeted drasically for Sarah Jessica Parker after that episode aired. I could almost hear LHC'rs gasping around the world!:p

I've never seen the show. What was the deal with that episode? Or is it appropriate?

kc
March 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
What a moron!

atlantaz3
March 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I've never seen the show. What was the deal with that episode? Or is it appropriate?
Carrie and boyfriend Berger discuss hair. Carrie tells Berger no one wears scruncies anymore. They go to a restaurant and the woman in line in front of them is wearing a half up scruncies pony tail. She is visiting from Macon, GA and has a pronounced southern accent. Proving that no real NY'er would wear a scruncie. Correct me if I have some of the details wrong.
I used to like that show until they thought they could rule the fashion world.
PS I had a scruncie on this morning to workout!

spidermom
March 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM

The Carrie character told her boyfriend that what he had written in his novel about a woman wearing a scrunchie out in public was wrong, that no New York woman would EVER do such a thing. Then they ran into a woman at a party who had a scrunchie in her hair, and it turned out that she was from ... well, I forget where, but she had a thick southern drawl and used bad grammar.

That episode made me mad because I absolutely positively do not care what New York women do and do not wear. Some of the outfits seen on that show were to my eye truly hideous. Secondly, if I wear a scrunchie out in public, it does not make me an uneducated "hick."

Feisty Redhead
March 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Most men don't even know what a scrunchy is. My boyfriend doesn't have the faintest clue what ANY of my hair toys are... I simply explain them to him as "pretty things for my hair" and we leave it at that. lol

That said, once on another forum I go to there was a thread about trends you wish would go away and never come back and one member said scrunchies. It took ALL my strength to not bother getting into it with her. They are not even "popular" (where I am) anyway, which could contribute to some people's negative views of them. I love scrunchies and don't understand the bias some people have against them, but to each their own.

SaveTheTapirs
March 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Oh I see. Thanks for the explanations. Well, the Sex and the City women probably wouldn't approve of super long hair either. Clearly LHCers are not fad followers!

And how is a corkscrew "pretty close" to a scrunchie? It's not even remotely close!

Angellen
March 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well. Pretty much the only thing a scroo has in common with a scrunchie is that both are used for hair. Aside from that, they're in kind of different worlds...

I'm wearing a pretty, navy blue scrunchie right now. Yay scrunchies!

Patrycja
March 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
she also mentioned that scrunchies are only worn by NYer's when they are washing their faces in the privacy of their bathrooms.I use a cloth head band,thank you very much.

and I live very close to Macon,but do not have that bad of a drawl.I still watched the show though,I love the shoes!

lora410
March 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
LMAO, yeah that doesn't even come close to a scrunchy; which btw I am wearing on right now to hold my bun :lol:

justgreen
March 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
The Carrie character never wore anything that I wouldn't be caught dead in. The only two with fashion sense, out of the group of four women, were Charlotte and Miranda. Carrie dressed like a;) slut and Charlotte WAS a slut, albeit a high dollar one, LMAO!

FrannyG
March 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
It's funny. I don't remember much about Sex and the City, but that scrunchie episode I will never forget. I, like many others was offended by it. And just for the record I didn't give a hoot about the shoes.

In any case, Magdalene, all I can say is, "Men! :rolleyes:". (not the guys at LHC though. ;) )

spidermom
March 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM
It often seems that men aren't big on the details. For example, for my husband, there are only two ways that I can wear my hair.
1) Pulled back
2) Down

That's it.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
The Carrie character told her boyfriend that what he had written in his novel about a woman wearing a scrunchie out in public was wrong, that no New York woman would EVER do such a thing. Then they ran into a woman at a party who had a scrunchie in her hair, and it turned out that she was from ... well, I forget where, but she had a thick southern drawl and used bad grammar.

That episode made me mad because I absolutely positively do not care what New York women do and do not wear. Some of the outfits seen on that show were to my eye truly hideous. Secondly, if I wear a scrunchie out in public, it does not make me an uneducated "hick."

I'm a NYC woman :(

jojo
March 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
i dont watch sex in the city but im sat here with my hair up, yep you guessed it in a scrunchie! i love my scrunchies!

Teacherbear
March 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Please let's not male bash.

There are a number of men (here, and I suppose on earth) who know what a scrunchie is. The man in question isn't an idiot for having said he thought it resembled one.

*I* suspect the man was flirting with you.

Magdalene
March 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM

There are a number of men (here, and I suppose on earth) who know what a scrunchie is. The man in question isn't an idiot for having said he thought it resembled one.

Oh gosh, I hope not! He's at least twice my age, and a member of the board!

PatGear
March 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'm a NYC woman :(I'm not quite sure what you mean by the frowny face. It doesn't seem to me that spidermom was putting down New Yorkers. It seems to me (and I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong) that she just doesn't care for the attitude of some New Yorkers (specifically, either the fictional character, Carrie Bradshaw, or the writer of that particular episode of the show) looking down their noses on other people who don't dress the way they find fashionable.

Liv
March 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM

LMAO:):):)

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the frowny face. It doesn't seem to me that spidermom was putting down New Yorkers. It seems to me (and I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong) that she just doesn't care for the attitude of some New Yorkers (specifically, either the fictional character, Carrie Bradshaw, or the writer of that particular episode of the show) looking down their noses on other people who don't dress the way they find fashionable.

I know, I was just being silly :D

And I was also trying to make the point that I don't fall under the stereotype of most NYC women... at least not much :).

PatGear
March 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I know, I was just being silly :D

And I was also trying to make the point that I don't fall under the stereotype of most NYC women... at least not much :).Oops! :oops: Apologies for being humor-impaired! :flower:

And Magdalene, since when does being twice someone age stop a man from flirting with that someone? :lol:

Xandergrammy
March 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
That's hilarious.

Feisty Redhead
March 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
And Magdalene, since when does being twice someone age stop a man from flirting with that someone? :lol:

Ditto. LOL Heck I spent two and a half years in a relationship with a man twice my age :o .... certainly age isn't gonna stop some people from just flirting.... :bluebiggr

kwaniesiam
March 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I love scrunchies, they're now the only thing I can use to put my hair up until I figure out how to get all my old hairsticks to work again. The show is hilarious, my gay male friend got me to start watching it and we've seen every episode together. I'm a Miranda ;) Although how they dictate fashion is kind of silly...doesn't bother me since I don't follow what's in or out of style.

happylynngilmer
March 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I don't like scrunchies much, but I do own a few. They are just so "laid back" that I reach for something else every time because I want to bring attention to my hair. :}

Dh would NEVER EVER call something a scrunchie that isnt. He knows about ouchless elastics, regular elastics, hair ties, hair scarves, hair fork, hair stick....

*But* he is a long hair!

ETA: like when he used my beak clip to hold closed the bags of chips, he KNEW it was a beak clip. He just didn't care LOL

Beldaran
March 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM

I agree that male bashing is not needed, but I also have to disagree.

If someone, regardless of gender, has seen a show where a specific item is mentioned, and then comments to someone about said item, when the item in question isn't the same thing at all, that makes them not so smart. (It doesn't help when they're informed of their mistake and decide to say "close enough" rather than "Oh? What is the difference?")

This isn't a random guy on the street who you've ambushed and demanded he describe a scrunchie to you, he chose to make a comment.

In my opinion, thinking a fabric ring looks like a metal screw is not a mistake a person of average intelligence would make. To me, it would be like asking for a rubber band when you mean a paper clip.

And if a person brought up an episode where the characters were bashing an item of clothing and then compared my clothing to that being bashed, I would not take that as flirting.

Teacherbear
March 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM

LHC?

Baldaran, I see your point, but *I* see the situation as a man notices the hair is put up and is held by something (it is a mystery to many people how a bun can hold hair up regardless of what is holding it). Perhaps he saw it as attractive in the show (regardless of the story line) and he saw this as attractive, too.

I also see a distinct difference between ignorance and lacking intelligence. Ignorance is lacking knowledge, intelligence (in my understanding) is lacking the ability to understand.

Of course, I choose not to take offense by comments that others might perceive as offensive - I see it as a matter of perspective.

Either way, I like scrunchies. I wear them at night after washing my hair. It helps give me waves in the morning.

: cheese:

Euphony
March 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
hahaha how cute!

My husband doesn't know what any of my hair toys are called except my sticks. He knows I like barrette's so he bought me what he thought were barrettes a couple of years ago for stocking stuffers. Unfortunately these barrettes were claw clips, my hair is too thick for claw clips to work right - he got BIG ones...it didn't help, if I want to try to wear them my hair is seriously spilling out and I'm getting jabbed in the back of the neck. DH knows what barrettes are now :grin:

FrannyG
March 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM

I hope you didn't take my post to be male-bashing. I just find that men in general take little interest in the nuances between hairtoys, or different types of makeup. I can't tell you how many highly intelligent men don't know the difference between mascara and eyeshadow. I don't for a second think they are idiots. They just don't know because it's not an interest of theirs.

ReadingRenee
March 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
This isn't a random guy on the street who you've ambushed and demanded he describe a scrunchie to you,

I CAN'T stop laughing at this mental picture! LOL

I like my scrunchies but rarely wear them out of the house. Hairsticks and ficcares are more comfy.

snowbear
March 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
The difference between a hairscrew and a scrunchie?
Only one of them is fun to throw at people.

sapphire-o
March 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Did you educate him about what a scrunchie is? I didn't know what a scrunchie is until I joined LHC. Never used any before. It's not just men who don't know about hairtoys. :D Of course I know everything now due to LHC.

Scrunchies seem to be still quite popular here as I see people wearing them all the time. Mostly used to hold hair in messy updos.

spidermom
March 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'm a NYC woman :(

Really? Now I care what NYC women do and do not wear (since it includes long hair). haha, and no offense intended. I'm sure that most NYC women are not like Carrie Bradshaw and her friends. And hey - I rented every episode (we don't have T.V.). I quite enjoyed it overall.

MusingFrog
March 11th, 2008, 07:46 PM
... I just find that men in general take little interest in the nuances between hairtoys, or different types of makeup. I can't tell you how many highly intelligent men don't know the difference between mascara and eyeshadow. I don't for a second think they are idiots. They just don't know because it's not an interest of theirs.

<cough> I don't know the difference between mascara and eye shadow. <cough> :D

FrannyG
March 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM
<cough> I don't know the difference between mascara and eye shadow. <cough> :D

I will never make another generalization again. :wannabe: Lesson learned. :p

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Really? Now I care what NYC women do and do not wear (since it includes long hair). haha, and no offense intended. I'm sure that most NYC women are not like Carrie Bradshaw and her friends. And hey - I rented every episode (we don't have T.V.). I quite enjoyed it overall.

Aww Spidermom, you rock!

PS: I don't watch Sex & The City ;)

CurlyOne
March 11th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I never watched Sex and the City but from what I have seen in various clips and pictures and heard from various conversations I don't think I would like it. What really gets me is when anyone make blanket statements like that or if we aren't up to date on the latest fashion we are automatically deemed to be worthless.

sweetkandi
March 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM
LOL! Guess he doesnt know what a scrunchi is, because those two are not even close to looking alike! Night and day. heehee.

Myeka
March 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM
What a weird comment to make. But people can be very weird indeed.

I loved Sex and the City... but some of their clothes, hair styles, and make-up looked absolutely horrific.

tameriska
March 12th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I just did a google on that episode, and found a lovely pic of SJP wearing one (http://suzanne-marques.blogspot.com/2008/01/sjp-in-scrunchie.html):D, although, I dont think that it really suits her.

Hypnotica
March 12th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I have confession to make: I *hate* schruchies!
I blame that for being born in the early 80's.....

Katze
March 12th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I never watched Sex and the City except for occasional clips that one friend thought I "had to" see. I didn't. :)

I did, however, live in New York City, right in the thick of it, for 3 years. Never in my life have I felt as ugly as I did living there. It wasn't just the shoes, it was also the orangey spray-on fake tans, or the fact that the dating scene is WEIRD (several men told me I intimidate them) or just the general fake-ness and hierarchy and social conservatism.

Don't get me wrong, I have some wonderful friends who still live there who aren't like that at all, it's just that I think the fashion and media industries are far too powerful in peoples' heads in that town. I was glad to leave, and, honestly, glad to leave the USA where there is too much social conservatism and rigid gender roles for my tastes.

But I also have to admit to a weird bias against scrunchies. A bun with a scrunchy around it would be, for me, the ugliest hairdo I could wear. Don't know why, but I think it has something to do with the 1980s, scrunchies and "false front" bangs.

However, to each her own; I fully support anyone's right to wear a scrunchy if she wants to!

happylynngilmer
March 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
The difference between a hairscrew and a scrunchie?
Only one of them is fun to throw at people.

bwahahahaha! Now, which one would that be? wink wink

Magdalene
March 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Don't tempt me, I like this job :D:D

squiggyflop
March 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
im not overly fond of scrunchys... mainly because i always end up shedding more hair on them (5 hairs) than my thin hairties (one or 2 hairs)... however satin scrunchies are great for sleeping in... i cantwear my satin scrunchy out of the house because its hot pink... i dont wear pink with the exeption of one pair of pajama pants... i just feel uncomfortable with the color, if my satin scrunchy were dark green i would wear it everyday to school

SarieQ
March 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM
LOL This thread is so funny. IMO the guy was just being a guy. No insult about that. They don't know what our products and items are, but do we know how to work under the hood of a car? Could we ladies look at some car part and be able to name what it is--I mean generally speaking, there are women mechanics--just as there are men who wear makeup or are makeup artists. DH doesn't know what my "things" are called, but I'd be lost if I had to troubleshoot electronics and get them back up and running!

I never watched the show. From what I saw of the clips, I knew I wouldn't like it.

Scrunchies, I wear them all the time. That's what I use to hold a cinamon bun when I'm around the house or washing my face. If I have to run to the store, I leave it in because I'm not changing my hair for other's opinions! I pretty much wear what's in fashion, but when I like something I don't give it up! Hey enough of us longhairs around wearing scrunchies, we'll bring it back!

When I read what the OP posted, I thought of it as flirting too. :) Not the best of flirting anyway! LOL

homeschoolmama
March 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
:lol My mother thinks everything is a scrunchie too. At one point I had a bun-cage and she thought that was an especially fancy scrunchie!
love,
mom

squiggyflop
March 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
i know that i said that i wasnt very fond of scrunchys but i realized that i dont like to wear a sock bun without them...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/sockbun1stscrunchy2.jpg

alot of men just dont pay attention to womens hair prettys, the same way alot of women know nothing about sports or what kind of parts a car has. i dont even know how to open the hood of my car.

Awalia
March 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Sex and the city is horrible show anyway. I cant understand, why did our MTV3 channel even bother to show it in Finland? Everyone here hated it. And i think those clothes Carrie wore were mostly stupid or ridiccilous looking, she was like a clown. And Sarah Jessica Parker is ugly. Scrunchies are nice, even thou i dont wear them outside the house.

Euphony
March 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
LOL This thread is so funny. IMO the guy was just being a guy. No insult about that. They don't know what our products and items are, but do we know how to work under the hood of a car? Could we ladies look at some car part and be able to name what it is--I mean generally speaking, there are women mechanics--just as there are men who wear makeup or are makeup artists. DH doesn't know what my "things" are called, but I'd be lost if I had to troubleshoot electronics and get them back up and running!

This had me rolling! Yep, I know how to work under the hood of the car, I can work under the car too for that matter. Ahha - I can name car parts. Whenever we (I) get a new electronic toy - hubby lets me hook it up since he gets confused on daisy chaining (and I'm cheap so a daisy chain works - no reason to buy something to avoid it) - but he also told me he'd be confused if it wasn't daisy chained. And <snork> I can do this with the help of holding my bun together with a scrunci if I so desire :D

snowbear
March 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
:lol:
That depends on your interpretation!

wonhwa
March 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I don't like scrunchies at all on me; that is due to the fact that every time I wore one, it ripped my hair out of my head when I removed it.
I see them on other people and they look great.
If there are folks who think they look bad and don't want to wear them in public, then that's how it goes; some days you feel like a scrunchie, some days you don't :-)

Wonhwa

may1em
March 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have confession to make: I *hate* schruchies!
I blame that for being born in the early 80's.....

I used to agree (also a product of the early 80s). That had a lot to do with not wanting to dress as a teenager how I dressed as a child. I have come to appreciate the non-damaging nature of the scrunchie, but I have my limits.

Now I will occasionally wear scrunchies out of the house (I own seven), but they're never the large ones, they're thin, in conservative colors, and I make sure my ponytail is sleek and not poofy because I have no desire to emulate big 80s mall hair. They're also useful for putting my hair up for bed.

As for the "male bashing" earlier in the thread, while it's certainly not true that all men are clueless when it comes to accessories and products used by many women, it is true that there are a lot who are. For example, neither my boyfriend or my father (and I love both men dearly), have any idea how "skirt" and "dress" are different. Both translate for them as "not pants." I teach intro Spanish, and last semester when going over clothes vocab, I asked my male students to tell me the difference between a skirt and a dress. This was mainly because I wanted everybody to be able to succeed on the test. I got one response out of both of my classes. And it wasn't "a skirt doesn't have a top attached to it, a dress does," it was "is a skirt shorter than a dress?"

I also have to admit that I'm clueless about some stereotypically male things. This may have more to do with upbringing than anything else, though (for both me and the large amount of men I've encountered who can't tell the difference between a dress and a skirt).

PatGear
March 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
For example, neither my boyfriend or my father (and I love both men dearly), have any idea how "skirt" and "dress" are different. Both translate for them as "not pants."
Just asked DH whether he knows the difference. He said "A woman wearing only a dress might look nice, but a woman only wearing a skirt is spectacular!" :lol: