PDA

View Full Version : Losing my hair at 17

PiroskaCicu
July 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm only seventeen and I'm losing my hair! So much is falling out that in the shower I have huge balls of hair and the same when I comb. I am extremely gentle and careful with my hair- and i rarely get tangles! What is causing this?? I just henna-ed on Thursday and I noticed LOTS of hair shedding since then...but not only since then, it's been a few weeks that I've been noticing this. I am so upset and crying. My hair used to be thick, now it feels so thin!!!! My ponytail looks so small... and running my fingers through it makes me shudder- how thin it is feels very scary to me and I don't like to do it anymore. (I used to love running my hands through my hair because it was so thick).

I am so scared and sad. Could an illness be causing this?

Juneii
July 20th, 2010, 02:28 PM
You could be going through a phase (many of us do) where our hair sheds a lot during a certain season and then stops. Also, it could just be hormonal changes. I know that during my high school I shed a lot of hair as my body was changing.

spidermom
July 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I agree that it could be seasonal or something with your hormonal balance. Just to be on the safe side, if I were you, I'd get a full physical examination with lab work to rule out problems that need medical attention. Eat the best diet you can afford, drink plenty of water, and get both rest and exercise.

More likely than not, you'll soon see baby hairs sticking up all over the place like dandelion fluff. Take care of them; they're your future long hairs.

KellieKay
July 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM
It could be your thyroid or anemia.

Tressie
July 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I agree with spidermom! Get yourself checked out to be sure you don't have something going on. If you are doing any strict dieting, and/or taking any supplements, not getting enough rest and so on...this could be the culprit, as our overall health is reflected in our hair! I hope this gets under control soon! Take care! (o:

christine1989
July 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
At your age it is probobly a nutritional problem. You should try eating more high protein foods as well as taking a multi vitamin with extra vitamin B and silica. For me biotin reduced my shedding drastically so ypu should definatly give that a try. Also try shampooing less since shampoo tends to make hair fall out more (especially shampoo with SLS).

paigeturner
July 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Do you use any heat on your hair? Are you stressed out because of finals? A break-up? Being stressed can often make people's hair thin and fall out.

Are you eating properly? If your body isn't healthy, then your hair won't be as your body will be diverting any nutrients you do get to the primary bodily functions, rather than hair. Maybe look into taking some supplement (ie. multivitamins).

Also, make sure you haven't changed your routine. Maybe the shampoo you use changed it's ingredients without you noticing. (Olay did this with my moisturiser).

However, if I were you I'd go to my doctor and get a hormone check and thyroid check, just in case. Better earlier than later!

kwaniesiam
July 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM
It could be your thyroid or anemia.

This. I was going through a lot of hairloss from hypothyroidism and anemia when I joined LHC looking for a solution. Get bloodwork done, you could also have an allergy or another hormonal imbalance going on.

ptnicole
July 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Paigeturner wrote good thoughts. First I'd think of anything (food, stress level, environment, weather, hair care routine, etc.) that's changed. If nothing rings a bell, I'd get physical and lab work done like spidermom said.

Saying a prayer for you and your hair :).

Sammich
July 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
What?! Nooo, I hope you feel better and get better as soon as you get the medical advice/attention you need! :( I agree with the diet, eat plenty of protein! :)
*Hug* :grouphug:
PS.
Yay! You're one year older than me, awesome. :p

PiroskaCicu
July 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hey guys guess what? I have calmed down a lot more now- it's my iron. I am deficient in iron and this has been known to cause hair loss. I just went to the health store and bought an iron supplement, as well as fish oil which is great for brain, skin, hair, heart & more.... I don't have a problem with eating healthy/exercise but I just lacked iron!

Thanks for your comments/suggestions

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Shedding the months months after suffering a high fever is common. Were you sick recently?

If you are healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it, but a check-up would be a good idea.

ETA: I didn't see your post! Great that it was something so easily fixed :)

christine1989
July 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Yay! I'm glad you discovered the problem (and that it was a small one!) I take iron too- its a pretty common reason for hair loss.

Mairéad
July 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I glad you found out your iron is low and got supplements. Last year I had very low iron and an electrolyte imbalance due to an illness. I couldn't keep food down very well until I got treated so my hair fell out in clumps. I was only 19 at the time. I had to cut it to my chin.

One of the most important parts of hair care is taking care of your inside. Hair is usually the first thing to go when something isn't quite right.

Sammich
July 21st, 2010, 04:06 AM
*Squee* Thank God you found a solution, otherwise I was afraid you'd leave the forum for a break from the long hairedness! :p

Second Growth
July 21st, 2010, 05:33 AM
I'm only seventeen and I'm losing my hair! So much is falling out that in the shower I have huge balls of hair and the same when I comb. I am extremely gentle and careful with my hair- and i rarely get tangles! What is causing this?? I just henna-ed on Thursday and I noticed LOTS of hair shedding since then...but not only since then, it's been a few weeks that I've been noticing this. I am so upset and crying. My hair used to be thick, now it feels so thin!!!! My ponytail looks so small... and running my fingers through it makes me shudder- how thin it is feels very scary to me and I don't like to do it anymore. (I used to love running my hands through my hair because it was so thick).

I am so scared and sad. Could an illness be causing this?
Have you been dieting? This happened to me when I was overly starving myself in a (futile) attempt to be really thin.

Second Growth

spitfire511
July 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM
Glad you feel you figured out the problem! I hope the iron helps!

LouLaLa
July 21st, 2010, 07:13 AM
I was about to suggest Iron deficiancy!

I had this too and its crazy how it can effect you, I actually has a seizure my levels were so low and I was having blurred vision etc! Make sure you eat lots of beetroot and that sort of thing in addition to the supplement. Its sort of scary and its lucky its easily solved and cheap to cure.

Good luck and take care :)

xxxx

FrannyG
July 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'm so happy that you found the culprit and that it's so easily remedied. :blossom:

breezefaerie
July 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM
I'm so glad you were able to figure it out!

Centaur
July 21st, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hey, I am glad you found out about the low iron. You should start feeling better too, as your levels normalize with the supplement.

klcqtee
July 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'm anemic, and I know when I don't have enough iron in my diet my hair comes out in hand fulls. You may want to start taking a multi-vitamin, if you're not already taking one.

Has your hair been this long in recent years? I suddenly noticed I was losing tons of hair! What's going on?! Then I calmed down and counted the hairs. It was only 60 hairs, but all balled up together, and it looked like a ton of hair. It's just because my hair is longer than I'm used to.

Have you started stretching washes? That will not make more hair fall out, but it will make it seem like more hair is falling out, as it is a collection of hair from the last time you washed.

Are you wearing your hair up more often, or combing it less? When I don't comb my hair for 3 or 4 days, I end up with enough shed hair to make a fur suit for a cat.

Relax, you're probably not really balding. The chances of you balding are pretty slim, especially considering your age.

Good luck!

ETA: I'm glad you found it was an iron deficiency! If you take it regularly your hair should normalize, and you may also end up with considerably more energy in the long run.

SlightlySoprano
July 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm glad you figured it out! I was going to say GO. TO. THE. DOCTOR.

If it starts to happen again, DO NOT HESITATE because its not worth it!

Gypsygirl
July 21st, 2010, 01:16 PM
I second that!! And I'm glad it's something comparatively harmless. :)

PiroskaCicu
July 22nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks again... I do take a multi-vitamin, plus iron supplements, plus fish oil (omega 3) capsules. I hope that the hair will start to regrow and I will stop losing so much. (I lost handfuls every day)

McFearless
July 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear that:(
I suggest an immediate blood test. Don't take any vitamins until then.