PDA

View Full Version : Ringlets: thoughts needed

Alcenaia
July 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
This past weekend I tried rag curling my hair. After about six hours in the rags, with hairspray and hair gel, my hair looked like this.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4909&pictureid=77398

I don't think this looks too bad. However, my goal was those big Victorian ringlets without the use of heat. I wanted large curls that took up much more length than these curls did. I think they would be awesome to be able to do, for fancy events. More like these ringlets:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4727&pictureid=77401
(I know those are probably fake or something, lol.)

So:

Would a longer time in the rag curls help?
Recommendations for hair gel/hairspray that would help?
Is my hair just too long/heavy for this?
Other gentle curling methods that might work for this?

Thanks for your thoughts. :cheese:

Gumball
July 20th, 2010, 12:29 PM
For my signature I had mostly dry (just slightly damp) hair that was covered in aloe gel and set on snap-rollers for, uhh, an hour and a half or so? I can't quite remember. Obviously they were still just a tad damp when the rollers were removed, so they fluffed up a bit with the final drying. I'm sure if I started out mostly dry or waited until they were fully dry while sitting there it would have been a tad bit better maintained, but that's how I got what you see below. :) It's worked a few separate times, although with the same slight fluffing out with the final drying. I'm sure a more solid hold gel or hairspray would've solved that problem, but I wouldn't use those.

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 02:56 PM
When I curl my hair, I don't use any product. Just water to dampen before the curling process :)

spidermom
July 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Try putting your hair into a high ponytail and rolling the ends, starting with the tips and rolling the entire strand. Those sponge curlers give me a nice, even curl. End-papers help to keep the ends smooth. Product like setting gel helps. When you take the curlers out, pin curls in place for the hair style you posted.

klcqtee
July 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Pin curls will give me those sorts of curls, just be sure you wrap your hair around a couple fingers to be sure the curl is large enough for your purpose.

christine1989
July 20th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Those were probobly achieved with a curling iron (assuming they are even real). I don't know if you gould get curls that perfect without heat but I can get nice, tight ringlets with foam curlers on damp hair.

eezepeeze
July 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
You might try using gel, without the hairspray. The best gel I have found is in a purple squeeze tube from Herbal Ess. Also, you need to make sure your curls are completely dry before you remove the curlers. Otherwise, they won't hold as well.

Other curling methods you could try: pin curls, flexirods, sponge curlers, velcro rollers. I think most of these will give you a tighter curl than the rag curls.

Also, your "dream" pic was almost certainly achieved with a hot curling iron. They had them back then, too. Also, they have taken the curls and pinned them in place on her head.

Good luck! By the way, I once pin curled my BSL length hair and in the morning when I took them down it was chin length. :)

Petite Simone
July 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
I second Gumball's advice, but also keep in mind that the victorians did have curling tongs (just obviously not electric) so don't be surprised if your curls don't end up *quite* like the ones you see on some victorian ladies.