PDA

View Full Version : Discolored hair!

Lilacs
July 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am starting to panic because I'm noticing that in all of my hair pictures the top of my hair seems to be a different color from the bottom of my hair! I've never colored my hair or anything like that, so I don't understand why it would look like that. At first I thought it was just the lighting, but in every picture the top of my hair is sort of a dull grayish brown and the bottom of my hair a more almost reddish brown. Could it be the sun that is causing my hair to change colors on top (or bottom, one or the other)? There are some pictures in my album and my profile picture also looks this way :(

bumblebums
July 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Don't panic. It's probably just the sun. My hair is also brown, but it gets reddish tones when I spend some time in the sun. It's normal, especially in people of northern European ancestry who have some blondies and redheads in their genetic mix.

Depending on which color you like better, you could either spend some time in the sun or hide your hair from it. You can add a darker tone to your hair with rosemary or sage, or with amla.

heidihug
July 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Could be simply fading/natural bleaching of the color, such as from the sun, or from other things such as swimming in chlorinated pools. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are noticing a ton of damage to the ends, too. The older that darker hair is the lighter it seems to get. Personally, I like hair with different tones.

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 10:40 AM
My pictures all have this, and all of my hair is virgin un-dyed, un-henna'd.

The ends of my hair are more golden than the hair closer to the scalp, but that is because they have been bleached a bit by the sun. My scalp hair is much more ashy (which suits my complexion better, IMO.)

Also, when you take a picture, the light hitting your hair reflects at different angles from the scalp than from the lengths. If your hair is uniform colour over all, the different colours in photos may be due to the different angles your hair is reflecting light from :)

Lilacs
July 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks so much everyone, I'm so relieved! I guess that I'm going to have to start wearing hats when I'm outside for a long time...unfortunately I don't think that I look very good in hats (I have a rather small head, so they don't fit well either)...

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hats are a good idea :) I've been wearing headscarves this summer, hoping that my hair won't lighten any more than it has.

christine1989
July 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM
It sounds like fading from the sun. The hair on the bottom is always covered and hardly ever exposed to sunlight so it is normal for it to be a different shade.