PDA

View Full Version : My First "Real" Bun-do

yellowchariot
July 20th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd share some pics of a 'do that I am finally able to do. I can now finally do a decent bun with only bobby pins. No hair ties to help, no other accessories, just my own hair. It is finally long enough to twist and wrap around, and I have noticed that my hair isn't as thin looking but rather taking on that full/thicker texture :thumbsup:

I had just gotten out of the shower, and decided to try one, and take some pics. I used 4 long bobby pins to hold the bun in the classic "round" shape. 1 along each bend of the hair:

It isn't perfect but, it is manageable.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/firstbun3.jpg?t=1279642696

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/firstbun2.jpg?t=1279642718

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Yay! That is exciting :D

Off topic, but I like how in the second picture, the image on the camera screen would go on to infinity O_o

yellowchariot
July 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Yay! That is exciting :D

Off topic, but I like how in the second picture, the image on the camera screen would go on to infinity O_o

Capybara, you're not the only one who thought that! I wondered how many times you could see the pic, if you used some type of high powered optic microscope. . . infinity!? Because there is a constant reflection feeding back!

paigeturner
July 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Woop, congratualations :)
I'm awaiting the day I can do a nice, reasonably-sized cinnamon bun...mine is pathetically small at the moment!

GRU
July 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Looks great, YC! (although I still think the GunBun is my fave!:D) More proof that buns do not make a guy look "feminine/girly".

And I agree, in spite of the many misadventures your hair has experienced this summer, it does look thicker. Good work!

HotRag
July 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Looks great, YC! (although I still think the GunBun is my fave!:D) More proof that buns do not make a guy look "feminine/girly".
OT: what's the gunbun?

heidihug
July 20th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Looks great! Very masculine, yet neat.

kimki
July 20th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Looks good and it's only gonna get bigger :D

HotRag check out a thread on the friendship board about 'safe and secure buns' :)

paigeturner
July 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
HotRag, completely off topic, but your avatar is so adorable!! - *gets back onto the topic and continues to admires yellowchariot's bun*

tinti
July 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Congrats! Now you can do theese cool, cinnabun curls too!

Long_hair_guy
July 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Well Done

Making buns is always fun

Medievalmaniac
July 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM
looks great! Congratulations!

serious
July 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Well done, congratulations!

Nae
July 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM
That looks really good YC!!!

Gypsygirl
July 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Looks great on you! :)

restourceful
July 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Yay! It looks great, YC. I can't see that your hair has suffered any ill effects from your wild, hairy summer. ;)

embee
July 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Nice, YC! It is a good feeling to be able to make an updo like that. Will become easier as you get more practice and the hair grows even longer. :)

Angela_Rose
July 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Woo! Congratulations, YC. It's nice to be reminded of those little milestones that were so long ago for some of us.

yellowchariot
July 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I really appreciate the compliments that you all have posted! I'm also very glad that you can see a positive change in my hair. It is healthier and thicker than before, despite everything that this summer and thrown at it :D. However I am truly bless by the Lord to have this much hair ;)

jackie75
July 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
It looks awesome dude!! And your hair does look thicker. I think having long, beautiful healthy hair is such a blessing. I thank God I was led here so I can properly care for my hair & get it back to tail bone length like it used to be.

little_cherry
July 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
That's fantastic, yellowchariot! It looks great! :)

I LOVE it! :)

Sammich
July 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
You go dude, I wish I could get some sort of a bun done in my layers! :p

maxzeen
July 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Very nice! I'm still trying to master a "neat" looking bun. Mine comes out looking all wonky.

yellowchariot
July 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
That's fantastic, yellowchariot! It looks great! :)

I LOVE it! :)

I appreciate it little cherry! I still need practice though! :p

You go dude, I wish I could get some sort of a bun done in my layers! :p

Thanks Sammich, you could try making one higher up to get those layers in, because you have enough length for one.

Very nice! I'm still trying to master a "neat" looking bun. Mine comes out looking all wonky.

maxzeen, that one was a bit wonky! hehe

HotRag
July 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Looks good and it's only gonna get bigger :D

HotRag check out a thread on the friendship board about 'safe and secure buns' :)
Thanks, found it :D

HotRag, completely off topic, but your avatar is so adorable!! - *gets back onto the topic and continues to admires yellowchariot's bun*
Thank you :blossom: It's my one in a lifetime dog Bernadette as pup :) (tuggin' on a banded pony). (She died in October 2007, 12.5 yo.)

linda g
July 20th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Looks good... I still can't manage "tidy" like that.

KarpatiiSiv
July 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Congratulations, it looks really great. :thumbsup:

yellowchariot
July 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks maxzeen, but its anything but neat!

Thanks, found it :D

Thank you :blossom: It's my one in a lifetime dog Bernadette as pup :) (tuggin' on a banded pony). (She died in October 2007, 12.5 yo.)

HotRag, I think your sig looks very awesome!

Looks good... I still can't manage "tidy" like that.

I appreciate it, linda g, however I still have some tiding to do, until I can make a presentable one!

Congratulations, it looks really great. :thumbsup:

Thanks KarpatiiSiv! I've noticed that most bun-do's are easier to do when wet/damp.

spidermom
July 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM
It's good to be able to get it completely off your face and away from your neck, isn't it?

yellowchariot
July 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
It's good to be able to get it completely off your face and away from your neck, isn't it?

Spidermom, you are right about that. As a guy, I never thought I would find the "standard bun" practical or useful for my taste/needs?!

Contrary to my believe, I was wrong. It totally keeps your hair off of your neck, eyes, ears, and the rest of your face. This is an excellent 'do to shave, brush my teeth, quick shower, and many other countless scenarios.

TBH my french twist method is much easier thank making this bun, and it is also just as effective! :thumbsup:

eamane
July 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
:agree: I agree with all the others: it looks great!

yellowchariot
July 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM
:agree: I agree with all the others: it looks great!

Thanks eamane, I appreciate the kind words! I also plan on practicing with different variations and finding a 'do that works best with my current hair texture and length.

Any ideas are most welcome!

Trixie33
July 20th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Love it, looks great, congrats!

HotRag
July 21st, 2010, 02:48 AM
HotRag, I think your sig looks very awesome!
Thank you :blossom:

kristymarie87
July 21st, 2010, 03:23 AM
Congrats!! I just did my first bun ever!! But i have to use 2 elastics....so im a bit jealous!!

You could prob also experiment other buns now as well considering its a bit longer and thicker!

yellowchariot
July 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Love it, looks great, congrats!

Thanks Trixie!

Congrats!! I just did my first bun ever!! But i have to use 2 elastics....so im a bit jealous!!

You could prob also experiment other buns now as well considering its a bit longer and thicker!

^ Thanks kristymarie! I also tried with 2 elastics when my hair was shorter, but no luck! Actually I haven't considered man updo methods, due to my hair not being long enough! I have just now discovered that world lol.

yellowchariot
July 21st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Just for comparison purposes, I thought that I would also post pics of a failed attempt at a braided bun I had tried earlier today. I am unable to braid the entire length of the tail part. So I had to use 2 hair ties and 4 bobby bins.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/BraidedBunJuly2120101.jpg?t=1279764046

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/BraidedBunJuly2120102.jpg?t=1279764085

Peter
July 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM
Looks pretty good to me!

Now I want to try this.

yellowchariot
July 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
Looks pretty good to me!

Now I want to try this.

Hey thanks Peter, I still need to squeeze my hands in there better, to obtain extra crossovers, instead of having what looks like a rat tail LOL!

Gumball
July 21st, 2010, 10:59 PM
That's a great milestone, yellowchariot, so good going! Now you can add another style to your list, and soon enough you'll be adding even more!

EdG
July 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
That's a very good first bun. My first bun attempt held together for all of five seconds. ;)
Ed

UltraBella
July 22nd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Nice bun, your hair does look thicker now :)

Heavenly Locks
July 22nd, 2010, 12:04 AM
Yay! :cheese:

If you're finding that bobby pins want to back out or it's taking a lot of them, you might want to try some U shaped pins. Like this -

http://www.goodhairdays.com/metal-comb-files/1.75_tipped_hairpins.jpg

Bobby pins, in my experience, are best for holding a wisp of hair flat to the head. Like if my bangs need to be held back or I've got a sticking up bit that needs wrangling.

The U shaped hair pins work like mini hair forks and support a lot of hair. :)

yellowchariot
July 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
That's a great milestone, yellowchariot, so good going! Now you can add another style to your list, and soon enough you'll be adding even more!

Thanks Gumball, It seems as if buns are the last style that you are able to do, especially with shorter hair. However I still have a long way to go, before I can actually make one with ease.

That's a very good first bun. My first bun attempt held together for all of five seconds. ;)
Ed

EdG, I had to anchor this one down, with 4 pins and I think they went through my skull! lol

Nice bun, your hair does look thicker now :)

UltraBella, I'm very glad that you and others are noticing this. Especially when my hair was much shorter, is appeared VERY thin and fine textured.

Yay! :cheese:

If you're finding that bobby pins want to back out or it's taking a lot of them, you might want to try some U shaped pins. Like this -

http://www.goodhairdays.com/metal-comb-files/1.75_tipped_hairpins.jpg

Bobby pins, in my experience, are best for holding a wisp of hair flat to the head. Like if my bangs need to be held back or I've got a sticking up bit that needs wrangling.

The U shaped hair pins work like mini hair forks and support a lot of hair. :)

Heavenly Locks, thank you and I appreciate the suggestion! Are those U pins very large? If so, they may not work with my hair type. Although I could use bolts or screws to lock them in :p