PDA

View Full Version : Combat: Frizz!

xovictoryxo
July 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi LHC,
I am suffering from a ton of dry frizz right now, I think its the season for frizz.
Ive tried soo many products and nothing seems to work well in my hair, coconut oil weighs my hair down and makes it greasy frizzy :(
I use biosilk which works for about an hour, then its back to frizz. If I brush my hair too often, it poofs it into more frizz!!
Im looking into morrocan oil, but its a bit too expensive!
Help! I am a wavy head!!

LILBERT
July 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I normally have very frizzy hair but recently its been better. CO washing makes mine less frizzy, so does light oiling and there are lighter oils than coconut oil that may be more suitable. Its taken me the better half of a year to figure out how to oil lightly though so it doesnt get greasy :rolleyes: But i am a bit dumb!
Ive heard of some people having sucess with aloe vera gel?
Sorry i cant be more help. On bad frizz days i tend to put it up and try to ignore it :D

kmoc123
July 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I am having the same problems...It is unusually humid here in West Texas and that is why mine is so fuzzy...oh well, I am just going with that...my hair seems very wavy as well.

StayPutDarling
July 20th, 2010, 10:14 AM
When I lived in Seattle, my hair would frizz quite a bit from the humidity. I used Goldwell Kerasilk Instant Silk Fluid. LOVE that stuff. Non-greasy...but has a lot of -cones, so if you're avoiding those, I also like LUSH's Jungle Solid Conditioner.

GRU
July 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
If I brush my hair too often, it poofs it into more frizz!!

Don't brush curly hair unless you want POOF!!!

Trust me! :D

This is my hair:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/2010-June/duallighting-c-resized.jpg

This is my hair on brush:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg

Any questions?

On a more serious note, I comb conditioner through my hair at the end of my shower and let it air dry without touching it. (regular conditioner, straight out of the bottle) It really does help.

paigeturner
July 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
GRU, that's INSANE! (love the little yellow draw on face btw,)

bumblebums
July 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'll chime in to agree on the advice to not brush your hair. Curls work best when left to their own devices.

And do try CO (conditioner-only washing). It works really well on wurly and curly hair.

GRU
July 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
GRU, that's INSANE! (love the little yellow draw on face btw,)

The really sad part? I wasn't TRYING to poof out my hair in that picture... I just brushed it out with a paddle brush.

If I'd been actually trying, I could have gotten the sides to go almost completely horizontal!!! Eat your heart out, Bozo The Clown! :p

xovictoryxo
July 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the help guys!!
Suave conditioners tend to make my hair feel like squeeky dry straw, any recc's for a good CO conditioner?
LOL At Gru!!
The only problem is if I dont brush my hair often it will tangle and turn to dredlocks, GRU U have such pretty curls! If my hair cooperated into curls I would never have to brush it.
What kind of oil is better for me? castor and camellila is a little too light, coconut and olive oil is too heavy & greasy. any wavy frizzlies had success with argan oil?
I'm at wits end. Im at waist length hair finally, trying to head towards tailbone. This is why in the past I never make it to tailbone without a chop. The dry frizzy tangles get so hard to handle.
My hair actually loves cones, without cones it is the dry squeeky frizzy strawlike hair I despise.

GRU
July 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I get great results from both Sweet Almond Oil and Grapeseed Oil.

triumphator!
July 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Incidentally, I let my hair partially dry while pinned up with a clip, and it seems to have done well being "compressed" during the frizz-out phase of air drying. Also I used a little Nightblooming Panacea on my wet hair, instead of on it dry, and that seems to have worked well.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to experiment over and over until you find a plan of attack that works.

dropinthebucket
July 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
GRU, i can't believe you even had a brush IN THE HOUSE! :) your red, curly locks sure rock, though, with or without 'em! :)

GRU
July 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
GRU, i can't believe you even had a brush IN THE HOUSE! :) your red, curly locks sure rock, though, with or without 'em! :)

Awww, thanks!!! :crush:

Up until last October (when I learned about the Curly Girl method) I would brush my hair out every morning before I got in the shower. I had read that wet hair is "weaker" so I thought I was doing a good thing by getting all the tangles out while it was dry. What I didn't realize was that I wasn't "getting the tangles out" so much as "RIPPING the tangles out".... no wonder my hair didn't seem to be growing -- all the length kept getting ripped off every morning!

Now the only brush that ever touches it is a BBB when I'm oiling. I use my old paddle brush as a back-scratcher now instead. :D

bumblebums
July 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM
You can comb your hair, just don't do it when it's dry.

Here's a link for ya: http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

littlenvy
July 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM
OMG GRU!! :D That's one insane mane!
btw ... I LOVE the wood penelling behind you.

As for frizz, I have been using a little bit of shea butter on my hair after wash and it seems to help. At least it helps me. LOL

Silver & Gold
July 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Don't brush curly hair unless you want POOF!!!

Trust me! :D

This is my hair:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/2010-June/duallighting-c-resized.jpg

This is my hair on brush:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg

Any questions?

On a more serious note, I comb conditioner through my hair at the end of my shower and let it air dry without touching it. (regular conditioner, straight out of the bottle) It really does help.

Okay, that is hilarious.

But seriously, don't do brush.

*Hands you a 'BARE' t-shirt. (Brush Abuse Resistance Education)*

xovictoryxo
July 20th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice ladies!!
is there a magical cream that turns waves to curls?
I do find that after i wash, if i sleep with a tight bun I have less frizz, but its almost always dredlocked. ughh!
here is what my frizz looks like uncontrolled :( its mainly the back and from the middle of my length down...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs035.ash2/35090_1468595389564_1073943460_31403220_8040001_n. jpg

Talula
July 21st, 2010, 01:13 AM
You can comb your hair, just don't do it when it's dry.

Here's a link for ya: http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Hey, thanks very much for that link! I have major frizz issues, too. I had never come across that site before. I just checked it out, and was really interested in her curl care techniques, and plan to try some soon. Thanks for sharing!

Debra83
July 21st, 2010, 01:37 AM
Here's what helped me, and the pics to prove it!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50881

christine1989
July 21st, 2010, 01:42 AM
I find that letting my hair soak in castor oil for an hour then washing it out helps a lot. I also notice a reduction in frizz if I rinse with cold water. If I have serious frizz then the Giovanni frizz serum + damp bunning works wonders.

RancheroTheBee
July 21st, 2010, 01:46 AM
CWC works really well for me, as does using a leave-in conditioner afterwards. Also, avoid touching your hair too much while it dries, and avoid excessive wind/blowdrying while it dries.

bumblebums
July 21st, 2010, 06:34 AM
I do find that after i wash, if i sleep with a tight bun I have less frizz, but its almost always dredlocked. ughh!

No magic cream, I'm afraid. If you are really a 2c, then your hair should develop not so much a curl but a wurl when it is freshly washed. You'll never get 3a curls (unless you perm your hair or use rag rollers, etc). But your texture might change for the curlier if you moisturize your hair and give it a chance to do its thing.

Hey, thanks very much for that link! I have major frizz issues, too. I had never come across that site before. I just checked it out, and was really interested in her curl care techniques, and plan to try some soon. Thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome! The before and after pictures and her photo history are a lot of fun, aren't they?

GRU
July 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
Okay, that is hilarious.

But seriously, don't do brush.

*Hands you a 'BARE' t-shirt. (Brush Abuse Resistance Education)*

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

:lol:

Best advice I can give is to get a few snacks and sit down to read through the Wurly and Curly Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369) and The CO-Washing Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898). You'll see all kinds of recommendations on hairdos, techniques, and products that have worked (or failed miserably!;)) for others with similar curl patterns.

Unfortunately, there is no one ingredient that works for everyone, so most of us go through a lot of trial and error until we find the one routine that works best for our hair. Differences in hair texture, curl, thickness aren't the only things that come into play. There's also mineral content in water, personal sebum production, health differences, air pollution, relative humidity levels, temperatures, underlying damage from chemical and/or mechanical manipulation, yada yada yada. What works great for one person might be horrible on another, and you don't know until you try.

Try one new product/technique at a time, and give it a few days to a week before you pass judgment on whether it works for you or not (unless it's painfully obvious that it's HORRIBLY wrong, of course). It may take some time, but you WILL figure out what makes your hair happy (and angry... see my "brush" picture above! LOL).

xovictoryxo
July 21st, 2010, 09:59 AM
THANKS for the rec's everyone. Im going to give this a 100% effort. I am so tired of frizz.
I just found a pretty good article which seems helpful as well
http://www.bvhairtalk.com/2010/02/17/the-mixed-girls-guide-to-hair/
Im not exactly mixed but it seems like this is proper procedure for my hair type!

klcqtee
July 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
In addition to the curly and wurly thread, there's also a wavy and wurly thread (which may be more helpful, as your hair may not be curly enough for the curly wurly thread): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563

As for frizz: If I soak my hair in EVOO before washing my hair is frizz-free, but straight. From the picture, your hair doesn't really look that frizzy. Damp bunning helps, but it makes my hair go into weird kinks and waves. CO helped the frizz, but I had to go cone free (which was a godsend in the long run), otherwise it sucked my wurls out. If I want curls, pin curls offer me the least amount of frizz, followed by rag curls, and lastly by soft foam curler curls.

Good luck!

x0h_bother
July 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM
My experience: Do not use humectants (in conditioner), they take the whurl out of my hair.
I use garnier fructis triple nutrition and a coney cond. for CWC, and when completely dry, a coney serum by avon.
In my experience, roughing up hair adds curl, but smoothing it out adds frizz and poof.
I also use the Twirling method on that tightly curly website.

proo
July 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
this seems insanely simple, but a final distilled water rinse/soak has reeeally helped deflate my frizz

Talula
July 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
If you are really a 2c, then your hair should develop not so much a curl but a wurl when it is freshly washed. You'll never get 3a curls (unless you perm your hair or use rag rollers, etc).

This is interesting to me..... I was told over at .....I think it was NaturallyCurly.com? haven't been there in a while, too busy over here at LHC........that I was a 2C. But I do get quite a few thick springy spirals, particularly deep down underneath, in the depths of my hair. It kind of depends on the day/weather how curly or wavy or straight my hair is, but I get some of each throughout my hair, which I've always liked. I'm a big fan of variety. I have a sister with pure spirals, I guess she's 3A? People always go crazy for her hair. But mine is wavier on top, curlier underneath. Maybe I'm a 2C/3A? I don't know, but I've definitely got more than just waves most days...

In my experience, roughing up hair adds curl, but smoothing it out adds frizz and poof.
I also use the Twirling method on that tightly curly website.

But doesn't TightlyCurly recommend "smoothing"? I guess it depends on your hair whether it's a good idea or not. I just recently was at that site, and wanted to try the smoothing for my frizz. I've always thought that touching/running-fingers-thru my hair makes it frizzier, until recently when I started a new habit. I finger combed my hair at night and then absently started twisting half my hair at a time up tight all the way down....like a braid but just a tight twist, while smoothing my fingers over it as I go, and then releasing it & doing it again & again while watching TV or something. I noticed after doing this, the length of my hair looked & felt all smooth & shiny & healthy (the top is always frizzy, though, but it doesn't get twisted!). And I thought to myself.... wait... I had it in my head touching it a lot made it frizzy, but maybe it depends how you touch it! Then I read about the "smoothing" curls thing at TightlyCurly, and wanted to try that, thinking it might be similar to my twisting..... but just do it to much smaller sections & use conditioner. I've kinda' tried it (without the leave-in conditioner so far) and I did somewhat like the results, but don't think I have the technique mastered yet. Anyways.... to touch or not to touch....that is the frizz question!

Dreams_in_Pink
July 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
is there a magical cream that turns waves to curls?[/IMG]

I don't know if this was suggested before, but i have similar (yet frizzier) hairtype to yours which just won't look nice with curlygirl method. When i was around your length, i used to roller-set (or rag-curl) the length and ends. It gave me shiny frizz-free curls that lasted till next wash :)

Here's an old picture showing the curls:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4588&pictureid=58981

and here's non-curled hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4555&pictureid=71984

(first pic is darker cause i had henna on my hair back then)

bumblebums
July 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Wow, Dreams_in_Pink, your hair DID turn super-dark with henna! Nice curls, anyway.

I don't know how people's experience differs with the Curly Girl method, but it could depend on your hair texture. The method from the Tightly Curly site (a variation on the Curly Girl method) is meant for African-type curly hair, which is in my understanding not very coarse-textured. The individual hairs can be quite fine. So maybe that's a factor.

hmmm
July 25th, 2010, 11:22 AM
here is what my frizz looks like uncontrolled :( its mainly the back and from the middle of my length down...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs035.ash2/35090_1468595389564_1073943460_31403220_8040001_n. jpg

Um... excuse me, but 'uncontrolled'? I don't see any frizz...

cheriemonty
July 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM
My hair gets frizzy, I use Pink Luster's hair lotion, I love it.

xovictoryxo
July 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM
just wanted to say thank you for ever ones help~!
i used a great product for the first time today, chi silk infusion! its full of cones, but my hair really loves it.
i dont think that pic shows just how frizzy it gets. I have pretty fine wavy hair with alot of splits and its very very dry the bottom 4 inches, and sticks together like velcro and tangles easily. this happens everytime i grow my hair out and ends up being why i chop it to BSL but i want to make it to TBL!!!
right now i wash every three days, and use biolage shampoo, and conditioner, then deep treatment with mayonaise. if i air dry it. it will turn to undefined frizz and tangles. if i braid it - it will take 24 hrs to dry, and will look nice once i take the braid out but then a few hours later it will return to frizz. same with the cinnamon bun.
i would like to wear it down and not load it up with products and try to define my waves. the only thing that seems to work kind of is mouse which makes it crunchy.
so i flat ironed my hair today which makes it great... i want to somehow lay off the heat, but this is the only way to get my hair nice an smooth.
sorry if i sound kind of whiney, I hope someone out there feels my pain with frizz waves lol

klcqtee
July 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Sorry to say this, but the heat isn't doing you any favours long term.

How often do you do your mayo treatment? When I do a protein treatment my hair is very velcro-y and crunchy and frizzy. Yuck. I do far better with more moisturizing treatments like EVOO soaks, before showers.

EVOO also will make your hair smooth, straight and shiny, so you can try to lay off the straightener.

If your hair likes cones, that's great! Cones really helped with my frizz, but I'm allergic to them :shrug: Have you tried CO? CO is really great for taming frizz, especially with cones. The only down side is it can make hair feel greasy faster, or weigh it down (removing waves/straightening hair).

If you're finding your last 4 inches are sticking together and causing a lot of frizz, or tangling right at the ends, and oiling doesn't help, you may consider a trim. My hair was doing that, so I cut off 3 inches (:wail:). I was sad to lose the length (I was past BSL for the first time in my life!), but it was worth it. My hair is happier, easier to manage, and not as frizzy. You may want to consider maintaining at BSL until you get the frizziest 4" trimmed.

x0h_bother
July 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM
But doesn't TightlyCurly recommend "smoothing"? I guess it depends on your hair whether it's a good idea or not. I just recently was at that site, and wanted to try the smoothing for my frizz. I've always thought that touching/running-fingers-thru my hair makes it frizzier, until recently when I started a new habit. I finger combed my hair at night and then absently started twisting half my hair at a time up tight all the way down....like a braid but just a tight twist, while smoothing my fingers over it as I go, and then releasing it & doing it again & again while watching TV or something. I noticed after doing this, the length of my hair looked & felt all smooth & shiny & healthy (the top is always frizzy, though, but it doesn't get twisted!). And I thought to myself.... wait... I had it in my head touching it a lot made it frizzy, but maybe it depends how you touch it! Then I read about the "smoothing" curls thing at TightlyCurly, and wanted to try that, thinking it might be similar to my twisting..... but just do it to much smaller sections & use conditioner. I've kinda' tried it (without the leave-in conditioner so far) and I did somewhat like the results, but don't think I have the technique mastered yet. Anyways.... to touch or not to touch....that is the frizz question!

Oops, guess I should clarify: smoothing as a technique (when wet?) is great for some hair types. For people with much more curl, when they use smoothing they can still see curl, but their curl is just nice and smooth (like in the tightlycurly videos). For 2s, we don't really have curl but whurl, and in my experience when I smooth my hair with products, the whurl comes out. But twirling encourages my whurl and defines it more.

Darkhorse1
July 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'm in the same boat, though GRU--that was hilarous!

I was reading up on pouf/frizz, and thanks to my area's lovely heat/humidity, it gets into hair that's dry and swells it, causing pouf. My ends are always so dry/lacking moisture because it's the oldest hair and most exposed from being in the sun(even covered/under a hat/in a braid).

I plan on oiling tonight with olive oil then clarify then deep condition. :) I'd like to get a hair mask tomorrow as well.

GRU
July 27th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I'm in the same boat, though GRU--that was hilarous!

It's become quite a favorite here at LHC! :lol:

If anyone's feeling like they're having a bad hair day, all they have to do is take a peek at that pic and they won't feel so bad about their own hair anymore! :D

spidermom
July 27th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I go for the heavy artillery -- pomade, styling wax, styling putty, or at least extra-hold styling gel. And no - I don't care if my hair looks "glued down". Other people don't see that. They just see a nice, smooth surface.

Also putting on a hat or a scarf while my hair is damp encourages the surface frizz to lay down.

HikerTrash
July 27th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I have some old stuff that's been living under my sink for a decade. I started using it lately to control the frizz. I have to rub some water in it because it has the consistency of wax, but it seems to help. It's called straightening balm. Since it's been under the sink for a decade I'm sure it's no longer made. I'm sure it wouldn't be able to tame that wild red mane, but maybe a similar product could work for someone else.

schiele
July 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Okay, I used to have serious frizz problems as well, and these things have helped me enormously:

-Don't every brush your hair when it's dry. Ever. Only brush your hair when it's like sopping, right-out-of-the-shower wet. I'm a curlyhead and my hair wants to clump together, which isn't the case for all wavies but it is for some, and if you brush your hair when it's dry the individual strands will go everywhere and refuse to lay flat.

-Air dry your hair. For some reason when I blow-fryed my hair every day (!!) it would always get really frizzy, both because of how damaged it got from heat styling and also because the force of the air would break the strands apart, if that makes sense.

-When air drying your hair, don't touch it at all until it's completely dry.

-A lot of the time hair gets frizzy because it's really dry and so it's trying to absorb moisture from the air. Make sure your hair is well moisturized. Look up SMT (aloe/honey/conditioner mix), try it if you haven't already. The Caramel Treatment is really good too. Alternatively you might want to try cut out drying shampoo/sulfates completely and try the Conditioner Only method. I don't know about wavies but it works pretty well for a lot of curlies.

-You might need to use some kind of gel or leave-in. I use a really cheap alcohol and cone-free gel: L.A Looks Sport Gel. They have a lot of gels with different holds (the sports gel is the most "extreme" hold) and it hasn't dried out or weighed down my hair at all. I use it after every wash and put it damp, slightly-towel-dried hair.

-Coconut oil. You said it makes your hair greasy... you might be using too much. Use a tiny, tiny bit, just enough to make your hands appear shiny, and rub it over the length of your hair from the ears down. Coconut oil is my holy grail. It destroys frizz and makes my hair incredibly soft. I use fractionated coconut oil which is really light and has no scent.

I hope something works for you... if you try everything and your hair is still frizzy, it might just be because you live in a really humid environment and that's just what your hair wants to do. If that's the case, embrace the frizz!

schiele
July 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah - you mentioned that the bottom 4 inches of your hair are really damaged. In that case you might be having frizz problems simply because your hair isn't healthy. Try to keep it strong and moisturized by doing deep conditioning and protein treatments every other week, stop heat styling and chemically processing it if you do, make sure you are gentle with your hair when detangling, and do a trimming regimen (say trimming off a half inch every month) to slowly get rid of the damaged parts.