PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Your Routine with my answers

iwonder
July 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Since my diagnosis with Alopecia Areta I’ve been obsessing with my long hair and decided to treat my mane like royalty. I never paid much attention to my hair since I was somewhat of a tomboy with short hair. I have a couple of questions regarding products and maintenance that I would like answered if anyone is bored. I will answer the questions regarding my routine as well.
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? Head and shoulder and Pantene. I’m looking for great others.
2. Fav. Brush/comb? Ambassabor boar brush
3. Blowdry or hair dry? Usually air dry but blow dry on occasion
4. What misc. products do you use? I use Biosilk
5. How often do you get cut/trim? Honestly, sometimes only twice a year. Yes, I’m bad.
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? I take Biotin
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? I personally stopped bleaching and coloring my hair and it has made my hair feel and look better. I wish I stopped damaging my hair sooner.
Thanks in advance!
P.S.- I still don’t know what type of hair I have. Anyone want to help?

SlightlySoprano
July 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? I use Garnier Fructise triple moisture
2. Fav. Brush/comb? wooden wide toothed comb from The Body Shop
3. Blowdry or air dry? I haven't used a blow drier in years! air dry every time
4. What misc. products do you use? I use extra virgin olive oil on my ends
5. How often do you get cut/trim? Twice a year, maybe once a year? Not often at all!
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? I just make sure I maintain a healthy diet
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? Hair needs moisture, brushes are TERRIBLE for curls, repetitive hair styling can lead to breakage!

Welcome to LHC! :D

little_cherry
July 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? Suave conditioner and Henna Sooqs' argan oils shampoo bar.
2. Fav. Brush/comb? The Body shops' detangling comb. My fingers.
3. Blowdry or hair dry? Always air dry...no damaging heat, thank you!
4. What misc. products do you use? Oils and butters.
5. How often do you get cut/trim? I trimmed several months ago.
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? My diet is for my hair.
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? I wish I knew that heat styling and chemical dyes were bad...mmkay.

To the OP...do you have a picture of your hair close up? That would help us to 'type' your hair. :)

kristymarie87
July 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner?
I'm using Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends atm. But im not fussy and my hair likes it if i change every so often.
2. Fav. Brush/comb?
I love my tangle teaser and round barrel brush for blowdrying
3. Blowdry or hair dry?
I try to airdry but if im going out or exercising when i get home from work i dry it otherwise it takes over 5 hours!
4. What misc. products do you use?
I'm using Aloe Vera gel atm on damp hair to get rid of frizziness and i diluted an intensive conditioner to use as a leave in
5. How often do you get cut/trim?
Every 9 weeks because it feels good to be pampered!
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy?
I tried vitamin b (all of them) but i can never remember to take it. And i tried zinc also.
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share?
I wish i never started ironing my hair! I wish i'd kept it long when my ex told me to cut it off (but i kinda would have had to in the end when my head was shaved) Do what you have to do to get through the awkward stages!! I do and my hair is quite healthy really!

paigeturner
July 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM
- LUSH's "New!" shampoo and Aussie's 3 minute miracle conditioner.

2. Fav. Brush/comb?
- a wide toothed comb that eases my tangles out slowly and only one or two hairs shed for dry hair and when I OCCASIONALLY brush through conditioner...I only shed 5 hairs (yes, I counted!)

3. Blowdry or hair dry?
- air dry 100% as of a month ago.

- I use sweet almond oil, jojaba oil, EVOO and coconut oil. And a catnip rince.

- Before yesterday, I hadn't got one in 18 months. Now I'm planning to micro trim every four months.

- I make sure I get lots of protein (difficult as I'm a vegetarian). I also take biotin, horsetail, MSM, skin hair & nail tablets and vitamin B12.

NEVER USE CLIP-IN EXTENSIONS CONTINOUSLY. Ahem. Save them for rare and special occasions. I was so so stupid.

LILBERT
July 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Inecto pure coconut oil shampoo for occasional clarifying, Inecto pure coconut oil conditioner for CO washes.

2. Fav. Brush/comb?
Tangle teezer, and Mason Pearson rake comb

3. Blowdry or hair dry?
Air dry exclusively. I dont even own a hairdryer.

Umm, not really a product, but i use a mix of cocoa butter/shea butter/almond oil. Im also partial to coconut oil but i dont have any at the moment.

At present every month because im trimming out layers, but ive gone a year/year and half without one before. When im growing it will be around every 4-6months.

Nope, but after baby is born i would like to try biotin or MSM.

Erm, i wish id bought lots of pretty hair toys earlier, since i cant afford them now :p

StayPutDarling
July 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? LUSH's Godiva
2. Fav. Brush/comb? What's a brush? What's a comb? These sound like instruments of torture.
3. Blowdry or hair dry? Air dry
4. What misc. products do you use? LUSH's American Cream, LUSH's Heavanilli Massage bar (on the ends, makes my hair smell delish)
5. How often do you get cut/trim? Erm.....never?
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? Headcheese, Jell-o, Soup made with bones....but that's just 'cause I like 'em. Oh, and Tanqueray Rangpur Gin....that's my secret awesome hair drink.
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? Don't punch people who touch your hair. Short-haired people just don't understand that it's the equivalent of grabbing my chest.

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship(I am forever a conehead :silly: for CWC), Suave Tropical Coconut for CO, and the LUSH one that smells like licorice. (They don't have it at my local LUSH store anymore, :( )

2. Fav. Brush/comb?

Plastic Shower Comb, and my beloved BBB :crush:

3. Blowdry or hair dry?

Air dry only.

Err... Olive oil and coconut oil.

Once every 9-12 months.

I eat healthily, but not for my hair. Just because I enjoy healthy foods, and like to keep my entire body strong :)

Sun damage is evillll. I'm still trying to find ways to combat the sun lightening my hair colour.

StayPutDarling
July 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship(I am forever a conehead :silly: for CWC), Suave Tropical Coconut for CO, and the LUSH one that smells like licorice. (They don't have it at my local LUSH store anymore, :( )

Check LUSHusa.com's retro section. I see Hybrid (I'm assuming you mean Hybrid, it's the only licorice-scented shampoo I remember them having) on there every now and again!

Mexibeach
July 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I've been using Aveeno Nurishing Shampoo and Conditioner - smells fantastic!!!
2. Fav. Brush/comb?
Wide-tooth comb and I have a paddle bore bristle brush for when my hair is long again.
3. Blowdry or hair dry?
Air dry only!
I have Aveeno leave-in for when I know I will be swimming; otherwise I use Coconut oil and I have been partial to the Moroccian oil.
Not going for at least a year from now!
I take biotin daily.
I wish I never would have cut off my hair and that I found this site BEFORE I thought it was a good idea to cut it instead of AFTER!:o

JenniferNoel
July 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Main N' Tail original.

2. Fav. Brush/comb?
Wide toothed pick comb.

3. Blowdry or hair dry?
Air dry only, blow drying makes me poof.

Manic Panic Raven mixed with Shocking Blue for pitch black.

Two or three months. A half inch to an inch.

Vitamin-filled foods and drinks. And calm forte before bed.

Hair is hair, don't lose sleep over it. It'll grow. Just take care of it, and follow our advice! :eyebrows:

GRU
July 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner. No shampoo.

2. Fav. Brush/comb?

Wide detangling comb in the shower (for distributing conditioner while detangling)

3. Blowdry or air dry?

Air dry 99.8% of the time. Occasionally blow partially dry with diffuser and room temperature air.

Sweet Almond Oil, Henna & Cassia, various DT recipes.

Last official haircut was probably three years ago. Trimmed off nasty ends once since then.

Can I rationalize my ice cream addiction by claiming it's good for my hair? If not, then my answer is no.

Curlies should not brush their hair. Tangles are only to be removed when saturated with a slippery conditioner/oil.

Ievet
July 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM

You're serious? Head and shoulder and Phantene? These are extremely stuffed with cones? At least I heard from Hairdressers that they are, I didn't do the research myself. I'm only using natural shampoos also shampoos with henna in there. I pick mine from cone-free listings.

2. Fav. Brush/comb?
I try not to brush, I rather CO it out if I have tangled hair... it does not get damaged this way. If i brush i use a hair brush and go slowly. I also have a wide toothed comb for this. My goal is only a horn comb for this is the best for your hair as far as I understand so far.

3. Blow dry or hair dry? I

Only, Always naturally dry!

I have the serum from Biosilk, I love how it smells, I use herbs to make strong tea-like stuff with it, I add EO and sometimes also plant oil and use this as a scalp-treat or mix it with my neutral of blond henna :)

I S& D often, but less and less :):):) The last cutting instantly episode was like couple a months ago and it costed me like 2/3 cm., :(

Yess, b-complexx (also better against my moodswings), omega mix caps (also good for brain), extra vit-c (I have to, I'm a smoker..) daily! The rest differs. I try to eat good.. like I'm a veggie junkie and I love fruits :)

Henna! Its making my hair stronger and thicker, atm I'm experimenting with herbs and oils :)

I used explanation on the site to define my hairtype, I asked for pictures on a Belgium forum and got some help by watching them, maybe you will find this helpful as well:

--------------------
Fia's hair typing system (English):
http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/Personal27.html
Fia's hair typing system (English) + foto's bij elke categorie:
http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html

Long_hair_guy
July 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends but I change once I use up my bottle fourth bottle of conditioner
2. Fav. Brush/comb? Its a comb and its made of wood. I don't know the name of it
3. Blowdry or hair dry? Air Dry. I do own a hairdryer but its now dries my shoes if its been raining.
4. What misc. products do you use? I'm looking into some stuff but nothing right now
5. How often do you get cut/trim? Once at year (in the summer)
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? Fruit and Veg (like everyone should)
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? I would of learnt how to do simple hairstyles when my hair was shorter.

Nae
July 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I love Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars, my favorites are Olive Oil and Babassu, Carrot Milk and Honey and their Mud & Clay. I use many different conditioners. I love my V05 and Suave conditioners and I use a lot of the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition lately!

2. Fav. Brush/comb?
My super wide tooth comb. I occasionally use my boar bristle brush and some oil to get a really smooth updo but other than that I don't really like the brushes.

3. Blowdry or hair dry?
Air dry only, I don't think I have used any heat whatsoever on my head in years.

Coconut oil, apple cider vinegar rinses, Aloe Vera gel and my new fav, Nightblooming Panacea

Eurm, I am currently on a "no trims for a year" challenge. So it has been about 10 months now. I plan on getting a trim in November sometime. Then probably going to wait another year, but we will see.

I take biotin, a daily multivitamin and a combo of Fish, Flaxseed and Borage Oils that contain my Omega 3, 6 and 9.

Patience is key, and enjoy the journey. P.S. Getting pretty things to put in my hair helps to get the different look that I wanted. That desire for a new "look" used to drive me to get a cut, now it just drives me to Etsy.

Merewen
July 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM

I just use cheapie shampoo (VO5). I've been loving Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and Giovanni 50/50.

2. Fav. Brush/comb?

My bakelite comb for in the shower, my fingers otherwise.

3. Blowdry or hair dry?

Air dry. Yeah, yeah, heat damages, but truth be told I'm too lazy. Also my hair frizzes like MAD when I use a blow drier. I'm sure this is because I don't know how to dry curly/wurly hair properly, but, again, too lazy to figure it out/not willing to buy a diffuser or whatever I'd need/don't want to deal with drying. Plus, why start now?

Olive oil, Fox's Shea Butter Moisturizer. I also have a couple things of mousse that I use on occasion.

Whenever I feel like it. I'm happy with my ends at the moment so it'll be a while. I think my last trim was in March or April.

No. I should take a multi, but that is more because I should care about my health in general than that it'll do anything for my hair.

I wish I knew earlier about caring for wurls (like not brushing). But really, I learned most of the good hair care basics as a kid and just stopped utilizing them after I cut my hair off in middle school. So I guess mostly I've learned recently about the importance of actually taking the time to handle your hair gently. Makes all the difference in the world.

Sammich
July 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Shampoo: Any SLS shampoo, they all work the same for me, but especially ones that are for blonde hair. :) They pretty much work!
Conditioner: Hmm, hard one this. It's the most important in my opinion, err... my favourite would be no cone Inecto pure coconut oil condish. :)
2. Fav. Brush/comb?
My wooden body shop comb.
3. Blowdry or hair dry?
Air dry, it's not damaging and my hair is less dry(due to the heat) and tangly feeling. (due to lack of moisture)
I'd like to call that blowfrying by the way, because you are essentially frying your hair, even on low heat I realised my hair felt really dry.
I usually use my own leave in conditioner, a mix of almond oil, my favourite conditioners and water. :) It works wonderfully for me, because almond oil is always liquid!
I trim once a year, (A big one) or small ones throughout the year because I want to get back to my original thickness. Already at waist, so I feel the need to trim because it still feels long.
Multi vitamins, evening primrose oil, tuna, and any veggies I can get! :p
I stopped colouring the lengths of my hair, but I still colour the front bits so I can give a little into my dyeing craving, it helps a ton! ;) *Points at album*

@OP's last question.
Hmm, we'd need a picture of your hair, just washed, no touching, air dried, if you want us to help! :D
And *Hug* to your problem of Alopecia Areta. :( :grouphug: That's so terrifying... I couldn't imagine how you feel!

Synthemesc
July 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Organix sulphate-free shampoos & Superdrug coconut and sweet almond deep condish (for SC) and Tesco coconut condish (for CO)
2. Fav. Brush/comb?
Fingers and my Mason Pearson BBB which mysteriously vanished when I cut my hair...
3. Blowdry or air dry?
Air dry as of now..
Lush goth juice hair gel, Sunsilk frizz control cream, v05 mousse, EVOO
Micro trim every few months.
DE, multivitamins and a blanaced diet.
Don't go cutting your hair just because everyone tells you to.

Centaur
July 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? I find that Head and Shoulders increased my shed, and I don't want that! I currently use SLS and Cone free shampoo (except 1x/wk I use a clarifying shampoo) and conditioner with herbs and humectants.

2. Fav. Brush/comb? wide tooth comb and gentle finger combing

3. Blowdry or hair dry? I usually air dry. I only blow it out one time in a six week period.

4. What misc. products do you use? Sweet almond oil on hair usually daily. Amla and Brahmi scalp masks a few times per week. Oh, yeah, I also do ACV rinses a few times per week. Deep conditioning treatment 1x/wk - product varies but is cone free. I am going to try Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn curl activator, but I have to wait until I get my next paycheck, because I have already blown this paycheck on hair stuff!

5. How often do you get cut/trim? Every 6 weeks I get a trim

6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? I take Biotin and various B vitamins, with Zinc, Paba, etc. I also started DE a few days ago. I also take an amino acid supplement, as well as Flaxseed.

7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? Get your hormones, thyroid, iron/ferritin checked. Minimize stress. Eat healthier. Get more sleep, and exercise. Oh, and I think using hair styles that do not pull so much on sections of the scalp help just in case you have a little traction alopecia contributing to your overall alopecia.

I think you might have 1b/M/ii hair.

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Check LUSHusa.com's retro section. I see Hybrid (I'm assuming you mean Hybrid, it's the only licorice-scented shampoo I remember them having) on there every now and again!

Thank you! I've seen it in other LUSH stores, but not mine for a long while now. I'll look into this :)

meph
July 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? John Frieda Radiant Red, though it isn't sold anywhere nowadays. Currently I'm using Schwarzkopf Gliss Kur Hair Repair and I'm content about it.
2. Fav. Brush/comb? Some wooden comb with no seams I found at a drug store.
3. Blowdry or air dry? Air dry only, I don't own a blow drier.
4. What misc. products do you use? Palmolive Anti Tangles and coconut oil :inlove:.
5. How often do you get cut/trim? Whenever it's needed, which can mean once or twice a year or every 3 months.
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? I try to eat enough protein... don't know if it makes my hair shiny though, it's just a obsession I'm currently going through:p. Oh, and I take vitamins, but that's mainly for overall health and not just for hair health.
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? Uhm.. well when you feel upset, keep away from the scissors. Cut your hair when you're mood is better if you like, but when you're down / upset or whatever, cutting your hair will probably not make you feel better in the long run.

Good luck with experimenting and I'm sorry to hear about your alopecia areta.

Naamah
July 20th, 2010, 03:12 PM
1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? Burt's Bees Pomegranate and Soy Shampoo (no sulfates) and Suave Naturals or Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner (no cones).
2. Fav. Brush/comb? My wooden wide tooth comb from The Body Shop.
3. Blowdry or hair dry? I let my hair air dry.
4. What misc. products do you use? Coconut Oil and Jojoba Oil.
5. How often do you get cut/trim? Right now I'm doing very small trims once a month.
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? I don't take any supplements, but I try to eat healthy.
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? Not everything works for everyone's hair. You need to experiment to figure out what your hair likes and dislikes. Also, your hair will be healthier if you learn to work with it's natural texture. I am still learning how to work with my waves and wurls after being here a year, but it has improved a lot so far.

jera
July 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM
1). Favorite shampoo- none. I've been using the WO method since the beginning of summer and my hair seems to like this best.

2). Brush or comb? I use a seamless comb only. No brushes.

3). Blowdry or airdry. I've been airdrying only for the past 18 months. It's challenging in the winter because I live in a cold climate but my hair is in much better shape for it. ;)

4). Miscellaneous products? I use a light combo of castor oil and liquid vitamin E on my hair afte washing as a leave in conditioner. It protects my hair and makes combing long wet hair easier.

5). How often do I trim? As needed. I think I've dusted 1/4 inch off my ends twice in the past year. It doesn't require more so why do it? :p

6). What foods do I eat for my hair? Protein. Fish, chicken, nuts, seeds, and legumes. I take iron, biotin, msm, zinc, vitamin D and vitamin E daily too.

7). Words of wisdom.... Try not to stress about anything. Stress in the world #1 hair killer and causes all kinds of physical ailments which then manifest themselves through damaged hair and or shedding. Try to find something to laugh at instead. Laughter is healthy and can reverse the course of illness. Physical health = hair health.
:cheese:

freckles
July 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
[b]1. What is your fav. Shampoo or conditioner? I'm loving 'Naked' and 'Original Source' brands :)
2. Fav. Brush/comb? My tangle teezer :crush:
3. Blowdry or hair dry? Currently on six months completely free of blowdrying (four and a half months in), but outside of that challenge I was blowdrying maybe every other wash (so once a week or so), on warm/cool, no hot, from damp, not sopping.
4. What misc. products do you use? I love coconut oil.
5. How often do you get cut/trim? Um, it's been sporadic. I went two years + no trim, then I trimmed twice in a year, now I'm planning on trimming once every two/three months for the next bit to try to improve condition :)
6. Do you eat or take anything to keep your hair shiny/healthy? not particularly
7. Any other words of wisdom you wish you knew sooner or would like to share? I wish I'd learned all about updos and styling earlier. No wonder I was bored of my hair, I wore it the same every day. Now I have a whole world of ways to wear it :)