PDA

View Full Version : How far can I take no-trimming?

RancheroTheBee
July 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm really impatient to grow my hair back to the length it was before I cut it (almost APL). Before, it took me about eight months, plus trims, to get to that length.

I don't want to wait that long. I want to just leave it alone for the next year, at least. The problem is I've never NOT trimmed before. Even when I had a pixie, I trimmed regularly because I ignorantly believed in that whole "trim-and-it-grows" bull.

Would I run into some serious issues by just letting it go until I start to notice splits? Even while I was heat-styling/dyeing it every four weeks, my hair was still pretty split-free. I'm planning on cutting out both those things (no pun, I swear.) I get some dryness, definitely, but I think this is mostly due to hair abuse.

Long story short: Can I just not trim until it starts actually splitting? Or should I make sure that I trim when it starts looking a bit rough so I can avoid doing any huge chops?

Any input greatly appreciated!

Aleria
July 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I think it depends on you and how comfortable you are with your hair. I'd say trim it when you feel it needs it - whether it's not until you see splits, or when it starts looking shaggy is up to you. If you're happy with your hair, it's more likely that you won't cut.
For me, I only need trims once a year, and even then I didn't have splits, just very dry ends.

teela1978
July 19th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I've easily gone a year without trimming in the past. There are numerous people on this site who never ever trim. It won't hurt anything. Won't grow in perfectly blunt, but it usually looks alright.

HikerTrash
July 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I haven't trimmed for a year. Before that maybe another year. I don't see why it's so important. My ends are getting pretty thin so maybe it's time for my yearly trim. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun but I don't dry my hair very often, have never dyed it and only use hot rollers like once a year, so I rarely have split ends. Why don't you just put it up and forget about it for a year and see what happens. Worst thing is you find out you have to trim sooner than a year, but at least you'll know.

RancheroTheBee
July 19th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I haven't trimmed for a year. Before that maybe another year. I don't see why it's so important. My ends are getting pretty thin so maybe it's time for my yearly trim. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun but I don't dry my hair very often, have never dyed it and only use hot rollers like once a year, so I rarely have split ends. Why don't you just put it up and forget about it for a year and see what happens. Worst thing is you find out you have to trim sooner than a year, but at least you'll know.

Good point. I've never experienced thinning ends; then again, I've never gone that long. It'd be an interesting experiment.

TinaDenali
July 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM
To be honest - I haven't actually had a trim in two years.

Two years ago (in Aug. 2008.) I chopped my APL hair to a chin length angled and very layered bob. It was bleached and in HORRIBLE condition, which is why I chopped it.

Since then, I've cut my own hair three times (in 2 years) and I really only cut the front parts so that it wouldn't be angled anymore. So, essentially, my ends in the middle/back of my head haven't seen scissors in two years.

I've only JUST started noticing more splits. I can actually see them when looking down at my ends, and I've never been able to do that.

I've been using cone-free conditioner this whole time and two weeks ago I went and got a bottle of Pantene for the cones in the hopes it will extend the time before I need to break down and chop a good inch off my length. :(

SO - I'm right there with you. I wonder how long I can keep this up before I absolutely need a hair cut. I really don't want to get one until I've reached my goal or even just when I actually feel like my hair is 'long'. I've got pictures in my album if you'd like to see the condition of my hair :)

Hope this helps!! :)

ETA: I don't have thinning or 'fairy tale' ends at all - MUCH TO MY DISMAY!! I'd love fairy tale ends.

Tressie
July 19th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I don't think it would hurt anything at all! If you see a split, snip it off (S&D). Continue to care for your hair and keep the ends conditioned and you'll see growth! That's my prediction and my two cents! (o:

Eden_Rayn
July 19th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I only trim my hair once a year usually. The only difference I do now as appeared to the past is only trimming an inch or two off when the trim happens and no cones/no heat/ no brush/ extending washings/ oiling/ ect ect.

I say you should be ok to go at least a year,

bte
July 19th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Depends on whether you can put up with a degree of untidiness to gain length. If you can, then 18 months or 18 years are possible! Go for it - you can always change your mind after six weeks or six months.

RancheroTheBee
July 20th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Depends on whether you can put up with a degree of untidiness to gain length. If you can, then 18 months or 18 years are possible! Go for it - you can always change your mind after six weeks or six months.

I have naturally messy hair. It actually looks better a little bit disheveled, so I can put up with quite a lot of untidiness.

Also, Tina: Your hair looks great, actually, so that gives me hope. Hahaha, it totally looks like you've been trimming. :p You'll have fairy tale ends one day.

Rivanariko
July 20th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I think the longest I've gone was a year and a half, but that was more from just laziness and not bothering with it than an actual attempt to grow it, lol! It got pretty thin and damaged at the ends, and when I did finally trim, I cut off a good 6". BUT my hair is also very prone to splits and easily damaged, and this was pre-LHC and I was still ripping through it with a brush two or three times a day.

As long as you're caring for your hair, I don't see any reason why it would be detrimental to not trim.

ravenreed
July 20th, 2010, 03:15 AM
One reason I trim often is because one side of my hair grows ridiculously faster than the other. So if I didn't trim for a year, one side would be several inches longer than the other. I also get lots of splits. If you don't see a reason to trim, you don't have to trim. Give it a go and see what happens.

FrannyG
July 20th, 2010, 07:30 AM
With your hair type, I think you can get away with going longer between trims, if your hair is healthy and undamaged. The uneven ends don't show up as much as someone like me, who's a straightie. The slightest unevenness shows on my hair, so I have to have tiny trims every 3-4 months.

You don't have that problem, so I imagine you could go quite a long time between trims.

Do try to wear it up as much as possible, though, to protect the ends.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. :blossom:

bte
July 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I have naturally messy hair. It actually looks better a little bit disheveled, so I can put up with quite a lot of untidiness.

Also, Tina: Your hair looks great, actually, so that gives me hope. Hahaha, it totally looks like you've been trimming. :p You'll have fairy tale ends one day.
Sounds as though you're a good candidate for no trimming!

jel
July 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Maybe you should join the club! The No-Trimming Club, that is, in my siggy... :D

Personally, I didn't have a single trim for 4.5 years (still did S&Ds). I reached my ultimate goal, tailbone, and that is why I trimmed a few months ago. I will probably continue to trim every 6 months or a year... unless I decide to go for longer lengths! ;)

kristymarie87
July 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I cant not trim....I used to trim every 4 weeks, but i had a short style that i sort of had to. Now i've cut it down to 9 weeks and once i get some length i will cut down some more, but i wont stop altogether.

I like the clean cut ends, i think personally they make my hair look neater, thicker and more healthy. The blunt hemline makes my hair look fuller too. Im not a fan of fairytail ends, i think they often look like lots of splits and unhealthy (which is not the case i know). I like the feeling i get after a haircut too, confidence and i feel pampered and tidy!

Myh air is generally messy and if i leave it too long i feel dirty and untidy! I do however colour my hair (usually before a trim to rid the damage a bit) and heat style at weekends which obviously gives me the need to trim.

When i get a trim, i only have a dusting and it looks and feels great! The last time i had about 0.5 cm off and then it grew over an inch in a month! Which was awesome :D I know that trimming doesnt affect the growth but for some reason i notice the growth when my ends are blunter :D

Happy growing :D

tinti
July 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I have easily gone without trimming in 8 months, and my hair was in good shape when I trimmed it. But, everyone is different, every hair is different. I think i have very strong hair, because I've dyed it and straightened it maybe once a month, and it still is fine. You could try a few months doing S&D whenever you feel like it, and see if your hair can handle it :)

Capybara
July 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I go from between 9 months to a year with my trims. I only trim when I need to, and it's usually only a little bit at a time. Now, I don't have the tidiest hemline, but ... it works for me :shrug:

If your hair feels healthy and you don't have splits or damage, you should be fine not trimming. :)

Kristin
July 20th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I haven't had a salon trim/cut since February 2009. I have a pair of scissors and dust the ends if the feel dry, and of course also S & D if I see any splits. I think my hair looks fine in terms of health, though it is obviously not cut into a "style" anymore (which does get on my nerves sometimes). I'm trying to grow to goal before I get regular trims to grow out my layers and even my hemline.