PDA

View Full Version : Grrr! Curse curl shrinkage!

eezepeeze
July 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Hey, everyone! I just wanted to share my frustration.

So, my hair was wet from the pool and I was detangling and pulled a strand to see how long it really was....it was at waist!!!

That's great!

But, with curl shrink, I'm still just past BSL. That's not so great :rolleyes:

So, have I reached a goal? Well......sorta.

Can anyone relate?

catastrophe
July 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I can, totally. Mine is a little past shoulder length, when it's wet, and when it's dry it's barely past chin. Hopefully the longer it gets, the less shrink I'll have. :) It is quite frustrating, though.

Rennire
July 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I can totally relate! And my hair never curls the same way twice so it makes it near impossible to measure! I think it still counts as waist though! Congrats!

Merewen
July 19th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Oh, yes. My hair is pretty solidly at waist - when under a stream of water. In my hair's normal state, even after being "squished out" by a braid or bun or something, it's got a few inches until waist. I hear you! It's a good thing I do like the curls, because I would be totally frustrated otherwise.

eezepeeze
July 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I can, totally. Mine is a little past shoulder length, when it's wet, and when it's dry it's barely past chin. Hopefully the longer it gets, the less shrink I'll have. :) It is quite frustrating, though.

:D I remember when my hair was at that length it just sort of stood out all over my head like Albert Einstein's.

eezepeeze
July 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I can totally relate! And my hair never curls the same way twice so it makes it near impossible to measure! I think it still counts as waist though! Congrats!

So, you think it counts? I wasn't sure if it did or not.

Dars
July 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Lots of members can relate, especially the 4's ;) Also, measuring by stretched versus normal is a personal choice. Personally I don't count it as it doesn't reach there naturally.

eezepeeze
July 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Oh, yes. My hair is pretty solidly at waist - when under a stream of water. In my hair's normal state, even after being "squished out" by a braid or bun or something, it's got a few inches until waist. I hear you! It's a good thing I do like the curls, because I would be totally frustrated otherwise.

Yes, my siggy picture shows my squished out hair from a braid and oiling. Still plenty of wurl to take up a few inches. I do like the curl, though. It hides uneven ends and I can get away with longer inbetween washing since the curl soaks up all that sebum and stuff. Plus, they're pretty.;)

eezepeeze
July 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Dars, I know what you mean. I sort of feel like it's cheating.

rachelily
July 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Yes I can!

I always feel like cheating and saying "Oh yeah, I'm at APL" but I'm not. Stretched, yes. Curly? No. So disappointing!!

Yozhik
July 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Congrats! :D

I can relate, too . . . I've been waiting for BSL for the last month or so, and when it's wet I definitely have it. Invariably, however, when it tries, it's still those elusive 1-2 or even 2-3 inches away! What's the most frustrating is that the ends curl under!

Ah, well, the advantage is that we can enjoy those nice curls :)

thriftesfai
July 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Yep yep! When my hair is curly it's at about APL, but when straightened it's just a little past BSL. The difference is huge for me.

anthonyswife
July 19th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I can relate too! My hair is at waist when dry, tailbone when wet or when I pull taut on a strand.

As far as whether it's cheating to count it at the longer measurement, I suppose I agree. Honestly though I count wet and dry as two completely separate lengths and just list them together when I say how long my hair is. :p

Amelia
July 20th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Ha ha ha Oh yes, i can relate! I'm at BSL right now, but my hair will shrink back to almost shoulder length!! You want to show people how you are doing, and when they look, it seems to be in the same place it was months ago lol

Hotrox
July 20th, 2010, 02:20 AM
And me - I am just sitting below chin when curly but when wet it reaches my collar bone. Mine also seems to be getting curlier with length so is currenlty actually shrinking :confused:

Anyway, as the others have said I like my curls so I'll just have to be even more patient

Icialine
July 20th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I count the length my hair when it is straightened since that is when I trim and measure it .Even though my hair seems a few inches shy of my waist when it dries curly or roller set ,I don't consider that my real length at all any more than I'd think my hair was short if I put it in spiral curls which would make it somewhere just past my shoulders.It never even occured to me that someone would only count their dry curly hair's length as the one that mattered because by that reckoning my hair would be a different length every day of the year,lol!

lilalong
July 20th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I count my wet length because the measurements are much more reproducible.

Marjolein
July 20th, 2010, 04:49 AM
It's not cheating when you go by your stretched-out hair! Otherwise it would be highly unfair for you curlies in comparison to us straighties.

Copasetic
July 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Many of us can relate :(

When I am in the shower, my hair feels so long. It's past waist now, but is like BSL when it is curly.

Whats also weird, is that my friends don't understand the concept of shrinkage. When they see my hair straight, they think it grew overnight.

klcqtee
July 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
When I join a length related thread, like BSL to Waist, I count my stretched hair. When I celebrate finally reaching a goal length, I go by wurly, since my final goal is waist wurly, not just waist.

GRU
July 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Definitely feel your pain! With our recent humidity levels, I can lose 4-6 inches from one day to the next (when CO-washed and down and in its natural state on both days).

People are always amazed when I reach back and drag a tress down to my Vertical Smile.... :bigeyes: Most non-curlies have absolutely no concept of shrinkage (well, unless they're guys, and that's something else entirely!).

eezepeeze
July 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
I love knowing I'm not alone out there :) Even though I hate the shrink and the frizz, I do love my curls.