PDA

View Full Version : 5 Hairstyles You Need To Try

dropinthebucket
July 19th, 2010, 12:39 PM
On the plus side, some of the models have longer hair. But... "long hair needs trimming just as often as short hair"!?!? um ... wouldn't that mean it wouldn't be long hair for very long? :shrug:

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/fashion-beauty/articles/archive/shine-marieclaire/1743905

MissMandyElizab
July 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM
OK i would think your right my self!!!!

spidermom
July 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
It would depend on how much you trim. My stylist used to trim about 1/4-inch every 6-8 weeks, and my hair grew 24 inches longer in five years. Now that is not screaming-fast growth, but it is growth, and my ends always looked good.

ButterCup02
July 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't say it *needs* trimming just as often as short hair. Lots of people who don't trim very often (or at all) have nice hair, and lots of people like fairy tale ends. I trim my hair (just a tiny little bit, about a 1/4 inch) every 2 or 3 months and still acheive growth :)

eezepeeze
July 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
The only one of those I could even remotely achieve would be the spirals and twists. A bob? On this curly hair? :rolleyes: **laughs with righteous indignation**

TrudieCat
July 19th, 2010, 01:22 PM
A bob? On this curly hair? :rolleyes: **laughs with righteous indignation**

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I hear ya... it's not the best look on me either, and I know this from (a truly terrible) experience.

And um, using a curling iron to get "wild waves"?? Using a curling iron is about the only way I can think of to keep my waves from *not* looking wild. But these days I take a little pride in that fact. :)

spidermom
July 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I did have the misfortune of allowing a stylist to talk me into a bob once upon a time. Hideous! I hated it so much on me that now I hate it on just about everybody else, too. Seeing a bob brings back the dismay of having to face the world looking like I had a pumpkin sitting on top of my neck.

paigeturner
July 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
... looking like I had a pumpkin sitting on top of my neck.

Exactly how I feel about wearing my hair up from my face! I know I should wear my hair up to stop it getting damaged (and I do, everyday) but I hate looking at my huuuge moon face in the mirror.
*sighs* I'm just waiting for my hair to get like yours spidermom!

bumblebums
July 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Looks like the common thread in all these styles is "hide the face behind the hair." These gals all look like shih tzus. Or pulis. Pick your favorite long-haired dog breed.

Aleria
July 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hahaha. That article just makes me laugh. I need a trim once a year. A short haired person would have almost double their length in that time, maybe more depending on growth rate.
Also, all the suggestions talk about heat styling and lots of products. Not something I'm interested in.

PrincessBob
July 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I think they were wrong on the "Every woman needs to try..." the styles are so drastically different, that I think that the title should have been "Achievable modern styles for some hair types.
My hair won't wave more than a braiding would achieve and doesn't curl. Also, bangs went bye-bye by the time I was 14.
Like SpiderMom, I had a stylist (my aunt) talk me into a bob once upon an eight year old. My hair is so thick that once cut, it stuck out in a triangle away from my face , so I looked like Alice from Dilbert. So she thought she might thin it. When she tried to thin it, my hair *broke* her thinning shears, two pairs. I hated it, but my mom hated brushing my hair, so she made me keep it short until I was 12. Never again to go short! :p
Princess Bob

Jenn of Pence
July 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
If you want to maintain their long, pristine layers, then you probably "have to have it trimmed" as often as short hair. Fortunately, I don't have long, pristine layers! ;)

May
July 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
That makes sense that longer hair needs to be trimmed as much as shorter hair...hair grows about 1/2" per month so to maintain long hair you could trim that much every month and still have long hair.

OperaTeacherMom
July 19th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Curly hair tends to be drier because of the shape of the cuticle. Comb through alcohol-free mousse (which works like a leave-in conditioner) to define and moisturize curls. Air-dry.

Glad they say to air dry, but um, the part about the mousse? Seriously? Mousse is NOT moisturizing at all, what on earth are they going on about?? I have to leave in full strength conditioner AND use a bit of oil/butter to finish my style if want to minimize frizz. Pfft, mousse. Can they pass some of that magic moisturizing mousse over here?

bumblebums
July 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Glad they say to air dry, but um, the part about the mousse? Seriously? Mousse is NOT moisturizing at all, what on earth are they going on about?? I have to leave in full strength conditioner AND use a bit of oil/butter to finish my style if want to minimize frizz. Pfft, mousse. Can they pass some of that magic moisturizing mousse over here?

Amen! Though I bet chocolate mousse would work!

slythwolf
July 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I like how the title of the article is "5 Haircuts..." (emphasis mine) and then they're like "go wavy! go curly!" when...curls and waves are not actually haircuts.

But I'm always pissed off by "every woman/man/person MUST" articles. No. Unless the list is comprised of things like breathing, sleeping, and going to the bathroom, just no. People are different! Why is this seen as a threatening concept?