PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel annoyed when....

Mariah!!
July 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
People don't LOVE your hair?
Well i get annoyed because I have a few friends that all have above shoulder length hair. I'm like the only one in the group that has long hair by any means. Would you believe that NONE of them ever complement my hair? Yeah! I love their short hair, but I love my hair being long, and think I look weird with hair above BSL. One of them says that its so much better to have her short hair cause its not hot in the summer.... she said I should have short hair. :crazyq:

One day I was with some of them and I kneeled down to do something, and hen i got up my hair got stuck in between my knees (i was actually bending down sitting on my toes, with my knees in front of me but not on the floor.) so when i stood up my knees closed around my hair and I couldn't get up! (:bow:)I thought she might say "wow you're hair is long!" but nope. She said "see that is why you should have short hair!! :undecided

Geez. Does any of you get annoyed when nobody oohs and ahhs over your hair, or at least COMPLEMENT it when you do something different? I am! :wail:

jackiesjottings
July 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I don't, but I do like to wind up a couple of workmates who make comments about my hair being too long by letting them know how much I love my long hair :)

jera
July 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
No, I don't get upset when people don't compliment my hair. Long hair is not that unusual on women where I live. I think I internalize things like that anyway and start thinking, "Hmmm, what can I do to get people to notice my long hair?" :p Grow it to the floor!

Congrats on not caving into the pressure of your friends. Maybe they're jealous of your long hair? And, that's the real reason why they don't compliment you. :D

I think it's best to just like yourself and not worry too much what other people think. Whether it's good or bad. ;)

Ivy~Rose
July 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Lol, I know how you feel. I work in an office full of guys (only one other gal) and I know not to expect anything from them. But every time I do something particularly tricky, fancy, or just more interesting than my usual bun, I can't help but feel a little miffed that they don't say anything!

On the other hand, we just relocated our office and now we are next to a bunch of women... and they have complimented me twice so far!! :inlove:

Long_hair_guy
July 18th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I used to hate it when people talked about my hair but now since people have stopped commenting about it I get a bit annoyed but I have a feeling that people have got used to it.

Tiina
July 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I guess it is true that no one notices your hair as much as you do. Doesn't mean it is any less lovely than it is. :)

Often people you know only comment if there is some drastic change but it's a fact that when it comes to appearances they care more about how they look than how you do. I've noticed that when people don't see me for a long time they are much more prone to give sincere compliments as they have simply forgotten what I look like. :p

But I agree that it is very nice indeed to get compliments and people neither give nor receive enough of them.

BeatlesFanGirl
July 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Well i get annoyed because I have a few friends that all have above shoulder length hair. I'm like the only one in the group that has long hair by any means. Would you believe that NONE of them ever complement my hair? Yeah! I love their short hair, but I love my hair being long, and think I look weird with hair above BSL. One of them says that its so much better to have her short hair cause its not hot in the summer.... she said I should have short hair. :crazyq:

One day I was with some of them and I kneeled down to do something, and hen i got up my hair got stuck in between my knees (i was actually bending down sitting on my toes, with my knees in front of me but not on the floor.) so when i stood up my knees closed around my hair and I couldn't get up! (:bow:)I thought she might say "wow you're hair is long!" but nope. She said "see that is why you should have short hair!! :undecided

Geez. Does any of you get annoyed when nobody oohs and ahhs over your hair, or at least COMPLEMENT it when you do something different? I am! :wail:

There's a huge difference in not saying anything and making stupid comments like you should have short hair! If someone doesn't make a compliment, well, I don't really care, but I HATE it sooooo much when someone says that I should have short hair. :crazyq: I'm NOT gonna have short hair! :P (Besides, I get compliments sometimes. :P)

Rivanariko
July 18th, 2010, 03:47 PM
The long hair debate has almost become a joke with some of my friends. I don't get offended when they tell me that I should cut my hair because I know that they know that I'm not going to. Conversations often go something along the lines of

"wow, your hair is getting long"
"Thanks :)"
"So when are you going to cut it?"
"Probably never"
"But you'd look so CUTE with short hair!"
"You don't think I look cute with long hair? I'm deeply offended. Look at this. Tears."

At which point I often get a pillow chucked at my head.

As much as I LOVE when people notice or compliment my long hair, I'm growing it for me. It's the one feminine vanity that I allow myself, so I figure it's okay if I go a little overboard with it. I like the way it looks, the way it feels on my back when it's down, the infinite number of updos that I can play with and how easy it is to get it out of my face when I want to.

So, as much as a part of me wishes that people would ooh and ahh over my hair all of the time (because dang it I work for it!) I'm not too annoyed because I'm the only one I really need to satisfy with it.

pepperminttea
July 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM
So, as much as a part of me wishes that people would ooh and ahh over my hair all of the time (because dang it I work for it!) I'm not too annoyed because I'm the only one I really need to satisfy with it.

This. I love an odd compliment now and then (who doesn't? :)), but bottom line - my hair is for me, and at this point, no amount of badgering is going to make me go short again.

Nightwishes
July 18th, 2010, 03:59 PM
My hair used to be fairly long for me, at least BSL or maybe longer. My hair has a lot of curl, so it kinda springs up.
I got my hair cut for practicality in the summer time and I've gotten mixed reviews - some people say it should be longer, others say it needs layers, but most people just don't care.

I want it to look nice, but I've learned that most people's problems with it just don't matter.

spidermom
July 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM
The only time I get annoyed is when I've spent a long time on my hair doing an intricate braided style and nobody says anything. I feel like pointing it out to people "admire this; it took me 3 hours!" But I don't.

Nat242
July 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Uh, no. My long hair (and other choices I make about my appearance) are for me. If I needed my appearance to generate compliments, I would do things a bit differently.

You've got a community here who will ooh and aah over your hair - they are hair-focused and understand the effort it takes. Other people *just don't think about it* as much as you do, or as much as many people here do.

Maybe your friends don't like your long hair at all - maybe that's why they don't compliment it. Does that matter? Does that change the way you feel about your long hair?

LittleOrca
July 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
The only time I get annoyed is when I've spent a long time on my hair doing an intricate braided style and nobody says anything. I feel like pointing it out to people "admire this; it took me 3 hours!" But I don't.

Lol, I feel like that too! Especially if it's a new style I have never gone before or had a hard time mastering or I am wearing a new toy.

As for the OP... Eh, it really depends. Long hair in my area is not all that uncommon. How much of it is real and how much of it are extensions I don't know, but having waist length hair is no big deal around these parts. Even my tailbone hair is almost no big deal. Outside of my city I sometimes get some compliments or what not, but I don't live for them. I know my hair looks rockin' and that is what matters.... that is to say that I don't sometimes wear it down just to show off, but who isn't guilty of that at least once in their life? :o

tanya222
July 18th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Sometimes!

I recently got hired at a new job, and went in to work one day just having learned how to do a Chinese braided bun (I usually show up in just a regular tightly twisted plain bun or just twisted & held up with hairsticks) and if I do say so myself, this Chinese braided bun was a stunner, and not one of my co-workers said anything about it! Yeah I know this sounds vain (like others here my hair is my one big vanity!) but I was hoping just one person would tell me my hair 'looked awesome and how on earth do you do that style' - nada! :rolleyes: I can't really expect a customer to notice that as I'm behind a counter and they don't really see the back of my head, but my co-workers do (guys & gals). Either I'm surrounded by people who just don't notice stuff like that, or who notice and don't give a hoot? I know if someone I work with came in with a stunning hairstyle, I'd make a point of complimenting them on it!

Gilraen
July 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I don't mind if they don't notice my hair, so long as they don't touch it.

McFearless
July 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
You cant be annoyed with someone for not liking your hair babe, thats silly.

Clearly you love it..and thats all that matters. :)

Capybara
July 18th, 2010, 08:58 PM
It doesn't matter to me whether or not people like my hair, however, like spidermom said, I do like to be complimented when I've accomplished a particularly intricate style.

JenniferNoel
July 18th, 2010, 09:11 PM
If I like it, I like it. If you don't like it, I still like it.

Juneii
July 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I think they just don't say anything because they aren't interested in long hair - hence the reason why your friend told you shorter hair is better. If you had a friend with really long nails that get in the way from time to time you probably won't say anything to hurt her feelings but just mention the idea of cutting it a bit shorter.
It's alright, while our friends in real life don't understand how important long hair is to us, we do :)

I personally don't mind not getting any compliments for my hair, I like my hair and like how it looks so am not in terrible need for positive reinforcement from my friends.

ilovelonghair
July 18th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I mostly only get compliments from guys. But not getting compliments makes me think my hair is ugly which it isn't. People who have seen my hair before LHC do compliment as they see the thickness is so much better.

DARKMARTIAN
July 19th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Something I seem to have noticed....is that people sometimes tend to shy away from "extremes". What I mean is that often times when someone displays some form of "extreme" expression...whether it be hair, or lots of tattoos, or piercings, or clothing, whatever......other people tend to avoid mentioning it for fear of being thought that maybe fun is being poked at it. Or maybe even that someone having such a grandios adornment cant be "normal" and must therefor be avoided.

Having grown up with lengthy hair....I unfortunately had to get used to some people thinking the worst about me. Its generally not thought of twice to see a young girl with long hair....but for a boy.....it can be seen on all the wrong levels.

So no.....at this point in my life it doesnt bother me if a person tends not to like my hair. Its just part of the experience.....

Prettyeyes23
July 19th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Mariah, I know exactly what you mean and it annoys me too!

Joliebaby
July 19th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Or they are just jealous :D
Okay so not everyone wants long or loves it as much as we do, but constantly telling to cut it short just seems like they don't want you to have what they don't have :(
I think it's rude. I'm not telling people to grow out their hair because it's so easy, or pretty, or warm in the winter or whatever...

Peregrine
July 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I get annoyed when my sister comes home and says "when are you going to cut your hair?" I'll have just braided in a new braid or gotten it to look just how I want it and she'll respond by saying "Just let me cut off eight inches." That's annoying. At this point I know better than to expect a compliment from her; I just wish she'd stop making comments entirely.

Jezerellica
July 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I'm a little sensitive when my "friend "calls be backward for having long hair. BACKWARD? Ok, but even more disturbing was a good friend saying about another woman..."Oh she is so proud of her long hair" in a snide way. I seriously was speechless and didn't respond. This friend had waist length hair in college and it was beautiful. What would prompt a comment like that? Jealousy? I don't know. I just try and not care what others think. Maybe I look backward. Whatever.

HikerTrash
July 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I prefer not to have people comment on my hair or appearance good or bad. But then again, I don't have girlfriends so there's a world I just don't understand.

Laurenji
July 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM
1) I think most people can't tell the difference between one bun and another, IMO. It's just a bun, and they all look the same.

2) I wish my DH would appreciate my hair more, especially when I've just washed it and it's super soft or something. My hair makes my feel beautiful, but not as beautiful as when HE thinks it's beautiful. But he doesn't. His only words in regards to my hair are "never cut it short" and "don't grow it ridiculously long" (Which is past BSL to him). *sigh* Maybe one day he'll come around...

Mexibeach
July 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
YES!!! People never used to say anything to me when my hair was long and then I cut it...... now I get "it doesn't look bad........ but it did look better long....."
I always know it looks bad when someone tells me "it doesn't look that bad....." but....

ericthegreat
July 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
No, I honestly don't get annoyed when someone else may profess that they don't like my hair.

Everyone in this world has a right to their own opinion. If they personally believe that I would look better or be more successful if I cut my hair short, then they have every right to believe so.

The world outside of LHC is under no obligation to love long hair. The world outside of LHC has its own beauty ideals and values, just like everyone here on LHC has their own beauty ideals and values. We have no right to force our love of our long hair on other people.

Everyone here on LHC of course appreciates the beauty of long hair. However, the vast majority of the world outside of LHC may not have the same opinion that we have, or they often have a cutoff point and hair that is deemed "too long" is considered to be unkempt and thus unattractive. At the current moment, that cutoff point is somewhere around BSL or somewhere around midback length.

Instead of worrying about what other people's opinions of our hair may be, we should really just be proud of our own opinions. We accept ourselves and we love our hair, and that's all that really does matter.

Dolly
July 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I personally just don't worry about it.....I do what I want.....when somebody says something about short hair being cooler in the summer, I throw mine up in a quick bun, shove a stick through it and let them see how quick and easy it is.....they usually shut up after that, because they see that I have a lot more options than they do with their short cut......

pixi_stix
July 19th, 2010, 12:59 PM
A compliment now and then is nice, but I don't need them. The thing that makes my blood boil is when someone with bad hair insults mine. My best friends sister has appalling hair. It really needs hacking off to chin length and starting again. Yet she thinks her hair looks great and it's mine that is thin and straggly and in need of a good cut. (My hairdresser strongly disagrees with that) last time she said something negative about my hair, I told her to wait until the day she is finally sober to judge who's hair is in poor condition because I know it won't be mine.

Carolyn
July 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I can't imagine why I would be annoyed if someone didn't say something to me. I don't expect anything out of other people. I'm pleased and happy the few times I do get a comment. It's always unexpected and it makes my day. I often go to a lot of work to do something like a braided bun and accessorize it with a cool hairtoy. I can count on one hand the times something like that has been noticed and commented on. I get far more comments on my nails and my bags.

LHC is a community of people who are into hair. Into it way more than most of the rest of the world. We notice hair. We care about our hair. We observe hair on other people. Hair just isn't on most people's radar. If it is, it's something that they cut and color and heat style. It's disposable to a degree. They abuse it, they cut it and it grows again. They don't treasure it like a lot of us do. They simply don't have the long hair mindset we have here. We can't expect everyone to see hair the way we do. Neither sector is right or wrong. It's something that just is what it is.

If you stop expecting comments and compliments when you do get one it will be a rare treat that will buoy your spirits and make your day.

chelseamichelle
July 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Yes, all of my friends have short hair.. They really don't understand why i want long hair, they really don't see the beauty in it, and they're always hinting that i should cut mine! A little while ago my friend cut her BSL hair to a short bob, and she wouldn't stop going on about how much healthier and beautiful short hair was, how long hair is always straggily and unflattering and she couldn't stand how gross it was!:rolleyes: She says that the only way long hair is nice is if its fake..WHAT!?

And my other friend always talks about how you can't have "proper" styles with long hair and that everybody looks better with A shorter style.. The list goes on.

I know someone who has beautiful hip length hair and people constantly tell her to cut it! because it's not flattering to her face..

It's very aggravating because i have absolutely no one in my life who thinks long hair is beautiful, which is why i come here for support!

McFearless
July 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM
The world outside of LHC is under no obligation to love long hair. The world outside of LHC has its own beauty ideals and values, just like everyone here on LHC has their own beauty ideals and values. We have no right to force our love of our long hair on other people.

Everyone here on LHC of course appreciates the beauty of long hair. However, the vast majority of the world outside of LHC may not have the same opinion that we have, or they often have a cutoff point and hair that is deemed "too long" is considered to be unkempt and thus unattractive. At the current moment, that cutoff point is somewhere around BSL or somewhere around midback length.

Instead of worrying about what other people's opinions of our hair may be, we should really just be proud of our own opinions. We accept ourselves and we love our hair, and that's all that really does matter.

I strongly agree with this.

rachelily
July 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Yes!! I put SO much effort into my curls and it drives me crazy when no one sees a difference in the way they look when I find an HG or method that changes everything. To me, every little change is monumental!

But I also agree with what was said earlier, my hair is for me. It is always wonderful when someone appreciates what goes into it - I have a friend with curly hair who understands all the work that goes into it! But it's like one of those personal milestones you achieve and all you can do is smile about it to yourself :)

auburn
July 20th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I think that those who say "You look cute with shorter hair" or "yeah, it'sa long, when are you going to cut it?" actually secretly ADMIRE your hair. :eyebrows: Isn't a little envy better than compliments, eh?

LouLaLa
July 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I think alot of it comes from jealousy. Alot of starts are getting hair extensions now to have super long locks and its increasingly fashionable.

Its ok for people not to like something but telling someone is bad manners.

Anyway just swish your beautiful hair about alot, let the hair do the talking!

Also give them this beauty tip if anyone is really rude: for beautiful eyes, see only the good in people.

Peter
July 24th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I don't really care, to be honest. When I started growing my hair long, I don't think there was a single person who liked it. I just stopped worrying myself with what other people thought and did my own thing.

Chamomile betty
July 24th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Maybe more because I wear my hair up a lot. I get the 'why do you wear your hair up so much' comment. I love to wear my hair up. I just ignore it.