PDA

View Full Version : Sudden formal event--eek!

IdiotBird
May 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
A couple of my friends are going to the gay prom tomorrow, and one of the girl's dates never got back to her, so I've gotten pulled in. I have no clue what to do with my hair! (If all else fails, my sister is going to straighten it--I only straighten my hair once or twice a year and always use protectant, so it should be okay.)

My hair is super fine and sleek, so I have trouble keeping it in updoes unless they're tighter. It's naturally corkscrew curly, although it usually comes out in loose curls when I brush it. My dress is a cocktail dress (I don't have time to get a formal gown ready) with spaghetti straps.

Any ideas? This one really threw me for a loop.

akurah
May 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Why not wear it down and emphasis your curls? Your hair sounds amazing.

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I agree on wearing it down. It must be pretty. :)

If you absolutely have to have it up... hmmm, why not a half-up and let it curl?

Dvips
May 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Similar to what I was thinking... but I'm a sucker for curls!

Maybe just pull the front up and hold with a pretty clip or barrette?

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Similar to what I was thinking... but I'm a sucker for curls!

Maybe just pull the front up and hold with a pretty clip or barrette?

Hehe. me too. That's why I was thinking a half-up if it had to be up. Maybe something sparkly for the fastener. :D

Gwaihiril
May 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hahaha, my prom is also tomorrow, and I'm still trying to decide how to do my hair! It's wavy though, not curly; I'm debating between a rose bun and an upside-down french braid, because I know that I want my hair up for the night, since it'll get really messy when dancing otherwise. I'm not sure what your opinion is on that; half-up is always nice, like the others said, but if there's dancing, you might want something more contained.

aisling
May 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Since you're a guy, if I remember correctly, and it's a formal event, I'd really suggest a braid or banded ponytail. This might just be me, but I think secured long hair on both men and women is the way to go at a formal event.

MoldyCake
May 16th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Like everyone else, I would suggest wearing it down because I too think your hair sounds beautiful.

If you want an up do, I found a couple cool ones I think are just beautiful. Personally I have NO idea how to do them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srivard72/2294806860/in/photostream/

I would suggest making a consultation apointment at a salon, (Aveda if you can, because they are 'amazing'!) and if you dont have an actual salon that you go to usually, ask for an apointment with the person with the most experience with up do's. Take in a photo with you, discuss the style, and let them know that your hair can be difficult to stay in place. Then make an apointment for earlier that day, before the event to have your hair styled. They wont wash or trim it or color it, only shape it for you.

Its fun because it allows you to pamper yourself. Let me know what you do end up doing with your hair, I'm all curious now. :hollie:

jojo
May 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM
i agree with the wearing it down or maybe a classy half do

Magdalene
May 16th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I'm going against the grain, and suggest a loose updo.

Here's an easy one- put it in a ponytail on the top of your head (closer to the crown than to your forehead.) With bobby pins or little clips, fan the curls around the pony tail into a kind of loose bun, letting the ends curl loose. (think sock bun without the sock, and the ends loose) You want to hide the ponytail holder. Leave some curls unpined to hang loose.

IdiotBird
May 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Since you're a guy, if I remember correctly, and it's a formal event, I'd really suggest a braid or banded ponytail. This might just be me, but I think secured long hair on both men and women is the way to go at a formal event.

No, I'm a woman. XD

Thanks for the ideas, guys! The issue I have with just letting it curl is that it's so heavy, so the weight pulls the top half of my hair wavy/straight.

Isilme
May 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
do a sock bun and let the ends hang out and curl and put in some decorative pins of sticks:)

Gwaihiril
May 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
So what did you decide? For my prom, I ended up going with a rose bun with two small accent ropes. It was really awesome, and everyone asked me where I had had my hair done and were amazed that I had done it myself.

Dvips
May 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
So what did you decide? For my prom, I ended up going with a rose bun with two small accent ropes. It was really awesome, and everyone asked me where I had had my hair done and were amazed that I had done it myself. Pictures? Pictures? :lol:

Gwaihiril
May 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Somehow we failed to get any hair specific pictures (which is silly, alas), but there's one that has a fairly good view which I've uploaded in an album. I, uh, don't know how/if it's possible to post the picture, but it's at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1109&pictureid=12686

Islandgrrl
May 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Somehow we failed to get any hair specific pictures (which is silly, alas), but there's one that has a fairly good view which I've uploaded in an album. I, uh, don't know how/if it's possible to post the picture, but it's at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1109&pictureid=12686

Ohmygoodness, that's gorgeous!

Dvips
May 21st, 2008, 12:44 AM
Ditto! :bigeyes: Absolutely fabulous!

IdiotBird
June 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I suck majorly for not replying to this; I'm sorry, I was so busy!

I ended up having my sister straighten it. Then I twisted it and put a fancy black clip under the ponytail part, letting the ponytail hang over top. It looked REALLY neat and surprisingly formal!

Thanks for all of the help!