PDA

View Full Version : "Dirty" scalp /warning - gross!/

masa_inn
July 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry about the ick factor.

No matter what I use to wash my scalp, I end up with lots of white...stuff (sebum?) left. Recently I've tried no-poo, low-poo and CO - all to no avail. Whenever I scratch my head (which is turning into a bad habit of mine), there is sebum/dirt/whatever under my nails.

Questions:
1. Why is it happening? Can an excess sweating cause it? /it's been really hot lately).
2. Why is it all my regular methods do not work anymore?
3. How can I get rid of it? Seems like soda clarifying works, but I'm afraid to use it more than once a month.

Cleopatra18
July 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I sometimes have the same problem and i feel its due to heavy sweating in the summer...waiting for other helpful responses.

Elenna
July 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
What is your weekly hair routine? Do you need to clarify your hair more often????

chopandchange
July 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Is the white stuff flaky and dry, or sticky?

RancheroTheBee
July 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I used to get that really badly. It seems to have gone away now, but I can't say for sure what fixed it.

One thing that did help me, though, was scritching. It was kind of gross, but I'd gently scratch my scalp with a comb, clean off the gunk, scratch again, and so on, until I stopped bringing back buildup. Then I'd wash my scalp and be sure to keep conditioner away from it.

I think it might have been a combination of sebum overproduction and buildup.

May
July 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Did you try shampoo? (sulfate or sulfate free)A dirty scalp can clog hair follicles I think and inhibit optimal hair growth...

HintOfMint
July 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I have the same thing and I think I've always had it. If there is no itching or irritation, there may not be anything actually wrong with it. Maybe our scalps just produce a thicker sebum and that mixes with our dead skin cells to produce the "white stuff." I've had it no matter my cleaning method, although it is obviously in lesser amounts when I have just washed.

Although, one thing you wrote in your post tells me that this is a new development. You say "why is it all my regular methods do not work anymore?" If this is the case, then maybe a more clarifying method would work. A baking soda wash on the scalp only shouldn't damage the rest of your hair, and you can top it off with a vinegar rinse to restore the pH balance.

masa_inn
July 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
What is your weekly hair routine? Do you need to clarify your hair more often????

I usually wash 2-3 times a week; either with Deva low-poo or with Kinky Curly Come Clean (low-poo as well; a bit more strong than Deva).

Yep, this stuff is gunky.

I'd say, I've always had a bit more sebum than I would preferred, but never this much.

clichepithet
July 17th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I have this problem in the summer. "Scritching" prior to washing and doing an upside-down rinse with a hand-held hose works for me.

tanya222
July 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I get that sometimes! I found it got better when I got out of the (bad) habit of scratching my scalp with my nails :o

Try rinsing with apple cider vinegar. Make it slightly stronger than usual, like 1:1 with water. And leave it in your hair while washing everything else in the shower, then rinse. It brings back needed acidity to the scalp. That helped me alot!

trolleypup
July 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
For me, I found that my scalp just was not happy with products...when I went to WO, this reduced the itchiness/gunk/flakes. Just rinsing out with a strong spray cleans this out for me and keeps my scalp happy...hair doesn't look quite as good, but I'm not scratching my scalp til it hurts. Finishing with a vinegar rinse also helps.

Heh. One more piece of mutually contradictory LHC style advice!

virgo75
July 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM
This:

Did you try shampoo? (sulfate or sulfate free)A dirty scalp can clog hair follicles I think and inhibit optimal hair growth...

And this, especially the bolded:

I have the same thing and I think I've always had it. If there is no itching or irritation, there may not be anything actually wrong with it. Maybe our scalps just produce a thicker sebum and that mixes with our dead skin cells to produce the "white stuff." I've had it no matter my cleaning method, although it is obviously in lesser amounts when I have just washed.

Although, one thing you wrote in your post tells me that this is a new development. You say "why is it all my regular methods do not work anymore?" If this is the case, then maybe a more clarifying method would work. A baking soda wash on the scalp only shouldn't damage the rest of your hair, and you can top it off with a vinegar rinse to restore the pH balance.

It's part of the reason why CO, low poo, and no poo never worked for me. My sebum I guess tends to be thicker and almost waxy? So the milder cleansing methods just didn't work and I ended up shedding a LOT when I tried them.

Now I shampoo(almost daily, I skip days here and there) and my scalp is happier. :shrug:

I tried CO on my son as well who had pretty bad scalp problems. I thought it was because his scalp was dry, but trying low poo/no poo only made his scalp 1000x worse. Now his hair is shampooed almost daily and he gets a CO now and then and it's much better as well. :shrug:

Hope that helps. :flower:

Edited to add: I had to do the 'scritching' thing on my son's scalp and it worked well, but I had to coat it in something first or else it seemed to make things worse. I could wet his hair & scalp with water from a spray bottle, then massage some oil into his scalp(or you could kill 2 birds by adding oil to the water bottle). Leave it for an hour or 2 respraying as needed to keep it moist, then scritch gently. The sebum & skin should come up easily without having to scratch hard and break skin. Then wash thoroughly. Oh, but I only washed his hair with shampoo afterwards. Don't know if low poo would get it out? Maybe someone else could chime in?

OperaTeacherMom
July 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Oh my goodness, I was JUST talking with someone about this on the curly hair forum. My scalp has always had this issue too, and it's the waxy stuff, not flaky although it does look like I have terrible dandruff if I "scritch" it. Contradictorily enough, the only time I don't have it is when I do CO. Granted, my hair and skin are generally very dry, so CO is good for me, but after 3 months of CO it was completely gone, then when I shampooed twice in a week (swimming in chlorine and an accidental -cone), it suddenly came back full force, and was itchy to boot.

Definitely going to keep experimenting, but I think for me personally I actually need to limit clarifying since it made things worse.

masa_inn
July 17th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Oh my goodness, I was JUST talking with someone about this on the curly hair forum. My scalp has always had this issue too, and it's the waxy stuff, not flaky although it does look like I have terrible dandruff if I "scritch" it. Contradictorily enough, the only time I don't have it is when I do CO. Granted, my hair and skin are generally very dry, so CO is good for me, but after 3 months of CO it was completely gone, then when I shampooed twice in a week (swimming in chlorine and an accidental -cone), it suddenly came back full force, and was itchy to boot.

Definitely going to keep experimenting, but I think for me personally I actually need to limit clarifying since it made things worse.

The problem is, when I CO, I shed like crazy, even thou my scalp is generally happy. Go figure. It's a curly contradiction, I guess :)

luthien_belewen
July 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I had this problem when I did shampoo bars and low-poo methods (and this was after a month of adjustment period). It was so gross, thick wax came off on my combs. I went back to washing with shampoo everyday, and only using conditioner every other day or so and I don't have that problem anymore. The washing once a week thing just does not do anything good for my scalp or hair! I've got a lot of oil though.

becker
July 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I have this problem with flakies too. I'm scritching now and have just switched to J.R. Liggett shampoo bar and hoping it all helps. Definitely going to be checking this thread for ideas on how to combat this issue.

eezepeeze
July 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Maybe you need to wash every day for a week or so, using a dandruff shampoo. Although, it sounds like buildup on your scalp, and not true dandruff. I get this sometimes if don't wash my hair after swimming or heavy sweating. A good wash does me good. I just use regular shampoo and a lightweight cond. when I encounter this problem. Sometimes I wash twice before conditioning to be sure to get rid of the gunk.

teela1978
July 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM
The curly girl method has a brown sugar scrub for the scalp. Perhaps doing that once a week or so would help?

Charlotte:)
July 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Well my hair did that when I did no poo. As soon as I started using conventional shampoo agian, it cleared right up :)

GRU
July 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Sounds like a perfect reason for using CWC!

simplysnuggle
July 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I sometimes have this problem too in the summer.. I cwc and I use a comb in the shower to help ex-foliate my scalp it seems to help. Also I never use conditioner on my scalp and always thoroughly rinse out any shampoo before conditioning. Hope this helps!

windinherhair
July 17th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I usually always have a flake show up somewhere, but mine has started to get worse and multiply since the temperatures have gone up. I recently bought some tea tree oil shampoo which is supposed to help calm the scalp. I figure mine is built up from extra sweating. I think I will try to wash more often for a while to get rid of it. I usually only wash every 4 to 6 days. I know how you are feeling because I have washed the hair, and right after it dries... I already see flakes! So annoying.

boomtownrat
July 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM
This used to happen to me, and sometimes it was flaky and white, sometimes waxy and sort of yellowish. When I was doing CO every other day it seemed to fix it at first, but not even ACV rinses did much to help the itching and white flakes. I started washing daily with a sulfate shampoo, every so often doing CO or CWC, and things have been so much better it's like I had a scalp transplant.

Yeah, I know sulfates dry the hair, but it's the only thing that has helped my scalp. I used to wash with sulfates only two or three times a week thinking that it would dry my hair too much otherwise, but my scalp drove me crazy on the second and third day after a wash so I had to change. Once I start my growing in earnest - after it's all virgin - I'll most likely do CWC most days to protect the length and maybe regular S/C if it seems to need it. Regardless, the daily washing of my scalp is crucial for me because if I miss a day, the itching returns with ferocity.

I hope you find something that helps. I can easily imagine the frustration you must be feeling.

klcqtee
July 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I have kind of what you've described. Mine builds up to the point that my head feels a little sore, and itches. I just take some granulated sugar into the shower with me, soak my hair in water, put in my conditioner (I'm cone free CO), then pour a small amount of sugar into my palm, and massage it into my scalp, when that amount dissolves, I pour another small amount in my palm, and massage it into a new part of my scalp, until eventually all of my head is covered. I do this...once every 6-8 months as needed. Taken care of my dandruff (for the most part), my itchy, sore scalp, and that weird...white gunk.

Just be sure, if you do it, that you not scrub too aggressively, or too much in one area, or you'll rub a raw spot on your scalp, and then it'll be really sore.

Peter
July 17th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I get this too. It's more sticky gunk than dry and flaky gunk, and my scalp gets itchy when enough of it builds up. Normally I get itchiness within a few days of washing.

I've found that oiling my scalp before washing almost completely solves the problem. No itchiness until my next wash and less gunk. Vinegar rinse doesn't help me though. Neither WO nor CO solved my problem. I'm not sure what all this means... maybe dry scalp?

countryhopper
July 19th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Gunk happens :D

Especially when you are trying to get away from shampoo. Shampoo is designed to strip away excess oil (hence the "squeaky clean" feeling). When you transition away from using shampoo, your scalp continues to make the same amount of sebum as it did before. It can take a while for it to adjust to only making the amount needed.

I agree with the above advice (skritching, scrubs, also preening would be good). Give your scalp a good skritch before washing so that all the gunk has loosened up and can be easily washed away.

I regularly use baking soda in washes (once or twice a week) and I have not experienced dryness from it, although many people have. YMMV. The key it to only use a small amount (maybe one tablespoon or less) and dissolve it in a cup of warm water. Apply this to the scalp and massge in the roots. Follow up with an acidic rince (dillluted vinegar, lemon juice, tea, etc)

I think it's especially important for those of us that use alternative wash methods that or scalp probably will not feel "squeaky clean". I personally don't think we were made to have squeaky clean scalps or to have to be slaves of getting squeeky clean scalps with shampoo daily.

A gunky scalp doesn't necessarily mean you have to run and wash immediately. It's just a different level of clean :)

Igor
July 19th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Have you tried exfoliating the scalp? It sounds like its coming off when you scrub with the nails but not when you wash, so maybe a good sugar scrub could help?
Personally I like the exfoliating when I do a cassia treatment :gabigrin: Those little “grainy” cassia pieces are pure heaven to scrub the scalp with

Edit: This is how I do it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=67739)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 19th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I found out that the best way to get rid of gunk is sulfate shampoo. But you need to give your scalp a good massage, without missing any spots. Then i leave it on for a few minutes. After that my scalp's so clean that i never need to wash it for next 2 weeks! (gunk-wise)

QueenTifa
July 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I believe that is because there is still sebum in your hair and you didn't rinse the shampoo away well enough.

Juneii
July 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
You know, this is the reason why I clarify my hair every time I wash. If I don't, my scalp gets all gunky and feels dirty. I should pick up some ACV and see if it makes it any better. Sorry I can't be of much help.

HintOfMint
July 20th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I have kind of what you've described. Mine builds up to the point that my head feels a little sore, and itches. I just take some granulated sugar into the shower with me, soak my hair in water, put in my conditioner (I'm cone free CO), then pour a small amount of sugar into my palm, and massage it into my scalp, when that amount dissolves, I pour another small amount in my palm, and massage it into a new part of my scalp, until eventually all of my head is covered. I do this...once every 6-8 months as needed. Taken care of my dandruff (for the most part), my itchy, sore scalp, and that weird...white gunk.

Just be sure, if you do it, that you not scrub too aggressively, or too much in one area, or you'll rub a raw spot on your scalp, and then it'll be really sore.

Have you tried exfoliating the scalp? It sounds like its coming off when you scrub with the nails but not when you wash, so maybe a good sugar scrub could help?
Personally I like the exfoliating when I do a cassia treatment :gabigrin: Those little “grainy” cassia pieces are pure heaven to scrub the scalp with

Edit: This is how I do it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=67739)

For those who have recommended a sugar scrub, have you noticed any damage at the roots (possibly signified by increased hairloss)? The idea of a sugar scrub on my scalp sounds heavenly, but I'm afraid of damage. Thoughts?

Ice~Cold~Wind
July 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Ive been having the same problem with my house and have been doing the "scritching" method. This does help, but not always :/ Ah well, I'm cursed with an overly greasy scalp, it sucks.

spidermom
July 20th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Make sure you're getting enough good fats in your diet, like olive oil, avocadoes, and so forth. Also drink at least one quart of water per day (minimum); more is better. You could try diluting your shampoo in some warm water, squirting it all over your scalp, and then combing only the scalp area with a shower comb (blunt teeth) until you are sure you have covered the entire scalp. Rinse well. Use conditioner only on the length; keep it and oil away from your scalp.

I've had the gunk problem, and I think it was a combination of a nearly no-fat diet and not drinking enough water.

Chiara
July 20th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I was going to suggest part of what Spidermom just said- dilute your shampoo and apply it to your scalp with something like an old plastic sauce bottle (I use a tint bottle- it has a nozzle, so I can really cover the scalp thoroughly). I find this is a good, gentle way of getting the scalp really clean. I have to be really careful with things like massage/scritching as they can cause my scalp to get inflamed, and then it goes into overdrive...

And yes, I find my diet plays a big role in the health of my skin and hair. With me, I find too much sweet food leads to a big surge in oil, and I get really greasy skin and scalp. If its summer where you are, have you maybe been drinking more soda, or something like that?

Ulvashi
July 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
I have the same problem. I live in Pakistan which can be very very hot in summer.
So this is what I do to remove it.

If the sebum is mild I shampoo my head twice and only shampoo the length once. During shampooing I scrub my head by massaging my scalp from every angle. I massage like indian head oil massage....rapidly with a some pressure......Also my shampoos do contain sulfates..

But if I have A LOT build up which usually happens when I dont wash the head for more than a week... I then first massage ACV on scalp when my hairs are dry.... I dont dilute it....it doesnt irritate me...leave it on for at least half hour and then I shampoo as above......

I then always check by scratching.....I always have some sebum after first time shampooing but it is a very clean white......after the second shampooing the nails come clean.....

It of course develops again after 3-4 days.....so if you are not dirty like me and shower more frequently u will always have a clean scalp :)

klcqtee
July 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM
For those who have recommended a sugar scrub, have you noticed any damage at the roots (possibly signified by increased hairloss)? The idea of a sugar scrub on my scalp sounds heavenly, but I'm afraid of damage. Thoughts?

No, none at all. If anything, it tends to give me a little bit more volume at the roots, after washing. I would think it'd damage your scalp far more easily than your hair. I've noticed that it can make my length tangle more than my usual washing method, but with enough conditioner and finger combing in the shower, it's not a problem.

I'm serious about not being overly enthusiastic when it comes to scrubbing though. My first time gave me great results, and I was so excited, that the second time I ended up giving myself big ol' raw spots. It hurt for days.

HTH!

charalito
September 28th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Is the white/gray residue on the brush really that bad? I'm almost WO with BS or borax washes twice a month and brush my hair daily. There is white residue on the brush, sometimes some lint, but the way I see it is that the brushing does some drycleaning to my hair and what I'm seeing is actually good.

My brushes get a lot of cleaning because of this... but I'd rather wash the brush than wash my hair :)

Othala
September 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I suggest you oil your scalp with warm coconut oil (or oil of your choise) and really massage it into your scalp to loosen up the gunk. Then wash your scalp with a non-coney shampoo. Suggest you do this every day until the situation improves.

Anje
September 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I think a little yellow-to-white gunk is normal, though how much you produce is definitely tied to how greasy your scalp is being. Gray is rather dirty, but it's a stage that I passed through in WO, so I'd say it's pretty normal for those of you who are in the first months of a no-shampoo, no-conditioner-on-scalp routine.

I've heard good things about mixing brown sugar and conditioner and using it as a scalp scrub. Definitely worth doing occasionally, though I'm not sure it'd be good for constant use.

Like Trolleypup, I found that I eventually produced a lot less of it when I was doing WO, which I did for about 8-9 months. My scalp liked that routine, but my length got thirsty for conditioner. Now that I've been lazy, using shampoo semi-regularly for months, etc., I'm producing a lot more gunk. If your skin and scalp are like mine and react to drying treatments by becoming oilier, the real solution is to ween yourself off the products, suffer through a long transition (1-2 months for WO!) and try to make things work for both the scalp and length. I don't know if my experiences apply to everyone, but I know that my face has dry skin in the same places that get the most oily, and moisturizing more eventually evened everything out; my scalp behaves the same way... that might be an indicator for reactivity that doesn't require an enormously long period to discover whether or not it works.

^^^ Quite a tome... Hope my ramblings are more helpful than not to someone.

punkcatknitter
September 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Funny, I've been torturing my family by telling themselves about this issue. I've always had this issue, and my mom telling me to scrub my scalp with my fingernails as a kid never cleared it up.

I've found two things that work:

1. Cassia. I've only done one cassia treatment, but my scalp was COMPLETELY clean afterwards. I was so excited and decided it was worth doing every few months just for the scalp benefits.

2. Apple cider vinegar. I forget why I was originally trying it (other than that it's one of things that gets suggested a lot on here for various reasons, lol) but I do an ACV rinse at least every other time I was my hair and I've found it helps quite a bit. I may start doing it every time I wash because it has made such a big difference for me. I still get the gunk, but usually not for a couple days, at which point I'm ready to wash again. :)