PDA

View Full Version : Going to my stylist today :)

Joliebaby
July 17th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I have tried to give up dyeing and go natural before, but this time I think I might have a shot. Why is that? Because of my dear daughter :) I don't want her to think women are supposed to dye their hair. I want to live what I say to her - that we are all beautiful the way we are. She is only 1 year 7 months now, so it's the perfect time to start doing things the right way ;)

Also, I look at her hair and I think it is so beautiful! She was born with much darker hair than is common here as most kids are a lighter shade of blonde. She takes after my mom's side of the family in that she has dark blue eyes and her hair is already a very dark blonde, ashy or a bit golden depending on the light. Why would I EVER think that my own color is ugly - as it is probably something like she has now, though she will probably grow up to have a darker brown hair, as I was a light blonde as a child and my hair only darkened to this color when I got older..

I posted earlier about colorfixing my hair, which worker splendidly and left me with a warmer very light brown. I have only 1/2" roots but I can tell they are still a bit lighter, and ashier. I really want to stop coloring, but after thinking about this for a while decided to have some subtle highlights put in now that my roots are still small so I don't have to mess with the virgin growth. I always think it looks much more unnatural to have lighter roots, vs. a bit darker roots, so even if I end up having half a shade darker roots it won't matter. In fact I like the surfer girl sun bleached ends -look on natural blonde hair.. So I guess I'm thinking I could grow out if I had that look hehe :)

My goal really is to have hair that blends well so I can grow out without coloring again, and without cutting my hair as I've finally been able to grow it long and I'm soon at a length that I haven't been since childhood.

My hair is thick and quite resilient so I think this will be okay and my hair won't suffer much. I'm thinking of letting her trim 1/2" since it's been a while. My hair is 27" now, allllllmost bsl and I hate to lose length but if my ends feel like they need a trim after the highlights then I'll go for it.

So there, my confession of what I'm about to do :D

Merewen
July 17th, 2010, 08:30 AM
GO YOU for working toward your daughter's self-confidence! Also, the shade of hair you are describing sounds lovely. Good luck today!

UltraBella
July 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Sounds great, hope you enjoy your results !!!!

embee
July 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM
This sounds very well thought out! Enjoy your growing, it will be ok, we're our own most severe critics.

Most of the time something has to be *really* bad for strangers to notice. ;) Of course we on LHC are fixated on hair, so *we* will notice hair things, but that's not the norm.

Kristin
July 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I'm sure it will be beautiful! What a wonderful example to set for your daughter!

Joliebaby
July 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM
It went super well! She weaved thin ash and toffee blonde highlights throughout my hair, avoiding the virgin roots. It took three hours! The result is one shade lighter overall, and ashier in tone, just what I wanted. My face looked so fresh with the new cooler tone! The roots blend better now.

I must say that I may have some more highlights put in later, maybe just a few strategically placed ones :) I'm letting my roots grow out more though.
Oh, and she didn't need to trim any!! :D

I forgot to coconut oil before hand like I'd planned, oops! Once i got home I put coco-shea-conditioner mix in my hair and braided it, to counteract dryness.

Pics later....

Kome
July 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Pics NOW! Lol. I wanna see! :P

jera
July 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad it went well. Your concern for your daughter is commendable. :)

Joliebaby
July 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
LOL @ pics now :D
My siggy pic was taken today at the beach but you can't see the color for what it is, the setting sun is making it way more warm, and you can see my skin has that sunset glow as well....

Another problem is I haven't figured out how to post pics, but when I get some accurate ones I'll put them in my album.

Joliebaby
July 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Okay, a couple of pics in my album:) I tried to capture the roots in indirect natural sunlight and I think it worked :) Also see my new siggy. Still I think the picture is slightly warm, but quite close... I think I will have a few strategically placed highlight put in later, but then I think I'm good to just let it grow!!!!

countryhopper
July 19th, 2010, 12:10 AM
So nice! and good for you for training your daughter well! :flowers:

Hotrox
July 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM
It looks lovely, and what a great reason for doing it :)

Feng-Shui
July 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I congratulate you to this decision.:joy:

Much luck and I are surely you the correct way selected.:flower: