PDA

View Full Version : diluting shampoo that's too strong

RachelRain
July 17th, 2010, 02:02 AM
okay, so... I bought a deep cleaning shampoo a while ago, because I only wash it maybe twice a week and I was using a LOT of leave in conditioners - plural - but it's way too strong.

can I dilute it with a cone free conditioner (I checked)? I haven't checked the ingredients in the shampoo yet, because I wanted advice first. I'd hate to waste the stuff.

also - I may not need to condition OR shampoo as much anymore. it's been up in a bun for three or four nights now, and it's still pretty damp (which sorta weirds me out, I feel like it's going to get all gross), but there's no need to condition it in the shower if it doesn't get wet, so I may save some cash there, and likewise no need to shampoo because there's less product in there. even my frizzies are gone :) minus the tiny baby hairs and broken bits.

I just wish it was a little more comfortable to sleep with.

oh, lookit that, I hijacked my own post.

RancheroTheBee
July 17th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I've never even considered diluting shampoo with conditioner. How novel. I was just going to tell you to put it into a squirt bottle with water.

I say test it out. Maybe you can get a washing method named after you.

RachelRain
July 17th, 2010, 02:08 AM
my boyfriend mentioned water, but even the smallest amount of the stuff seems to strip my hair, so I figured I'd ask :) I'm seriously tempted... I can always use a separate conditioner if needed, I guess.

Delila
July 17th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I usually dilute my shampoo about 8 to one with water. (8 parts water, one part shampoo)

Haven't tried diluting with conditioner, though.

serious
July 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I dilute my shampoo with water, than add a few drops of sweet almond oil and sometimes I add some honey in the mix. Works great!

I tried diluting with conditioner but didn't like it. It didn't lessen the strength of the shampoo at all.

Nenyath
July 17th, 2010, 08:01 AM
RachelRain, my hair has been driving me crazy too when sleeping, tried bunning it, wrapping scarves over, braiding, ponytail.. Nothing helped. Then I tried braided pigtails and it works! I don't lie upon them and get sore like the braids and they don't try and strangle me like loose hair and my hair is super easy to detangle in the morning, gotta love it! I'm pretty clumsy too, so braiding at the side instead of behind is soo much easier ;)

LadyLongLocks
July 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I recently tried diluting my shampoo with conditioner and my hair needed washing 2 days later. It also stopped any foaming of the shampoo. It was an experiment. I did not like the results and will go back to diluting with water only.
Unless you wash every 2nd day, I would dilute with water. I only wash once a week.
I also bend over and dont let the shampoo reach the length if I do a second shampoo.
Maybe you should switch shampoos if it seems too strong, or use much less.
When I dilute mine with water, I use a lot of water and shake it up in a bottle to start it foaming.

RachelRain
July 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM
thanks for the input!

so oil and some honey, then. I'll give that a try. :) it's almost a full bottle, so I'd feel really bad just throwing it out - nobody I know would want it, I was stupid and bought Tresemme because it was on sale.

I shampoo every two to four days. generally, only when it feels gross. If I'm out in the sun a lot, I'll wash it because of sweat and grossness, but otherwise I'll leave it. I do generally condition it every day though. (and even then I barely lather it - I basically just smooth it along the length and twist my hands in it and rinse it. it seems to work fairly well for most shampoos.)

except this last week, where the last four days it's only gotten wet once. I haven't conditioned it in four days and it's still pretty easy to manage, but that's cuz I keep throwing it back up in that bun. it's down for now, because my neck is killing me, but I should probably do something with it tonight anyways.

I did buy it as an occasional shampoo - like a once a week or so kind - just to help get rid of all the leavein buildup (I was using a mousse + leave in conditioner and it was hell to get out) so I don't need to use it often.

I haven't tried pigtails yet - I do sometimes when I get out of the shower but they don't last long, it's really just so I can get the hair out of my way while I get dressed... I hate being dripped on lol.

rusika1
July 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
One very important thing--only dilute it as you need it. Nobody wants nasty things growing in the shampoo or conditioner!

I use those pointy tipped squeeze bottles and use about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of shampoo, then add water until the bottle is about half filled--around 4 ounces. Shake slightly, then apply directly to scalp. I really like this method because it's easier to control where I want it to go.

Use the smaller amount of shampoo the first time you try it, you can always increase the amount you use the next time you need to wash.

RachelRain
July 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I've got some sample bottles from shampoos and stuff that I kept cuz they were cool, I can probably use those. they're probably about 4 or 5oz. thanks.

RachelRain
July 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM
so I washed it... I used Aussie instead, it smells like watermelons :) I haven't used any leave ins really so there was no need to use the Tresemme yet and I'm kinda nervous lol

and now, derailing my own thread here...

am I the only person who can NOT get a bun to center on my head? no matter what I do, when i twist it, it twists so it's towards the frickin' left... I did finally figure out if I put my hands on the back of my head and headbanged my hair forwards, I could finally get it high enough to not hurt my neck, but the listing to the left thing is bugging me. any ideas?

embee
July 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Heh. When mine is too far off center I put some decorative thing like a bow on the emptier side. Have actually had comments on how nice that looks... amazing. Only works when I use a very plain haircolored hairstick though. :)

GRU
July 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Another thing to try (and I seem to recall someone here at LHC mentioned they do this) is to get one of those foaming pump bottles, like this: http://www.cleanfreak.com/Qstore/custom/dial_foaming_hand_soap_lg.jpg

I buy those for the bathroom sinks at home, and then I refill them by adding 1-2 tablespoons (15-30ml) of regular liquid hand soap and then fill the rest of the bottle with water (only up to the bottom of the pump mechanism, though, not all the way to the top). This would allow you to pump foamy shampoo directly into your hand and apply that directly to your scalp, which would be easier to control than really runny diluted shampoo.

am I the only person who can NOT get a bun to center on my head? no matter what I do, when i twist it, it twists so it's towards the frickin' left... I did finally figure out if I put my hands on the back of my head and headbanged my hair forwards, I could finally get it high enough to not hurt my neck, but the listing to the left thing is bugging me. any ideas?

If it leans left, start it further on the right (not centered to start with) and it should balance itself out....

teela1978
July 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I'd dilute with water. You can try CWC as well to protect your ends, applying conditioner to your length before you wash the scalp.

RachelRain
July 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I tried that today, starting it much further on the right... you can see where I started, but it's still listing to the left. it's holding strong, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. ugh.

I'd totally take a picture but the only digicam I can find, the chip piece doesn't fit my laptop. I know I have another somewhere, but I can't find it and it's driving me nuts.

and actually, I like the pump idea... I think my mom's got a small one, I wonder if it'd hold up in her dishwasher once I rinsed the hell out of it... ty.

never mind, I think I know what I did... my hair was wet, so I think I wrapped it under the coils on the right instead of around... which would make it list to the left. it doesn't feel lopsided, but I can't think of any other reason it'd be all wonky.

maybe my boyfriend can figure something out with his cellphone when he wakes up. at least then I'd get a length picture on here, jeez.