PDA

View Full Version : middle aged and tempted to cut off my hair

Annalouise
July 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I had a massive shed the past couple months. Now, I'm just wondering what the point of my long hair is because its getting so thin (ii that is more like i).

I wonder if I should just crop it to shoulder length because of the thinness.

I know, I should get a picture up right..lol

Well, my hair is nice, but its thinning. Hubby thinks I should cut it off.

I'm 40 by the way.

What do you all think? Throw in the towel when the hair thins?

My hair is almost to my waist by the way.

(or is this a mid-life crisis..lol)

Anna

Stormphoenix
July 16th, 2010, 06:27 PM
How do you feel now and how do you think you might feel 6 months from now? Plenty of 40+ on these message boards sporting hair beyond BSL.

missfortune9335
July 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM
oh, that's tough. I'd say wait the two week rule and see if you still want to cut then. In the mean time try some treatments etc. to help you feel better about it :blossom:

Curlsgirl
July 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Have you had your hormones checked? I am older than you but I was having major shedding and had my hormones checked. I had an imbalance and my doctor started me on progesterone cream and I also started taking 7500 mg. of biotin. My hair has almost stopped shedding and it's only been 6 weeks on the cream and about 2 weeks of the biotin. I would give it a try before you do anything drastic.

pepperminttea
July 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
If it's any consolation, with slightly less thick hair your updos must stay comfortable for longer? :)

Even if you decide not to keep the length, definitely follow the two-week rule. Haircuts are quick, growing hair is decidedly not.

kwaniesiam
July 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
If your length has thinned out, try doing a smaller trim and see if you're happy with that instead of such a big chop. If it's still not enough, you can always cut it and grow it back when it thickens back up again.

Annalouise
July 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Yes, brilliant. I do have hormonal problems. And that might very well be what caused the massive shedding. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor.

Thanks,
Anna

Have you had your hormones checked? I am older than you but I was having major shedding and had my hormones checked. I had an imbalance and my doctor started me on progesterone cream and I also started taking 7500 mg. of biotin. My hair has almost stopped shedding and it's only been 6 weeks on the cream and about 2 weeks of the biotin. I would give it a try before you do anything drastic.

Annalouise
July 16th, 2010, 06:49 PM
How do you feel now and how do you think you might feel 6 months from now? Plenty of 40+ on these message boards sporting hair beyond BSL.

I might regret it. But hubby says what is the point in having long hair if it is not thick and healthy?

oh, that's tough. I'd say wait the two week rule and see if you still want to cut then. In the mean time try some treatments etc. to help you feel better about it :blossom:

I've been thinking about it for a couple weeks now and I will give myself another couple weeks. I definately wouldn't do anything rash. I've been growing my hair for a long time. Its a major decision to cut it off.:(

If it's any consolation, with slightly less thick hair your updos must stay comfortable for longer? :)

Even if you decide not to keep the length, definitely follow the two-week rule. Haircuts are quick, growing hair is decidedly not.

lol, well maybe. Although I get headaches from updoos...lol
I know. I've been growing it for a long time.:)

If your length has thinned out, try doing a smaller trim and see if you're happy with that instead of such a big chop. If it's still not enough, you can always cut it and grow it back when it thickens back up again.

I did that about a month ago, I cut off two inches. It was practically at my waist and I cut it back. Then the shedding continued unabated. When I had my trim, I noticed another stylist staring at my hair. And the stylist cutting my hair made the comment: "wow, your hair really falls out doesn't it?"

I think that was a critical moment for me in terms of my hair goals.

strwbrry dakri
July 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I might regret it. But hubby says what is the point in having long hair if it is not thick and healthy?
Gotta say it - It's not his hair! You do what you want. But I have to agree with the two week rule. Don't do anything on impulse.

little_cherry
July 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
You could always make it look thicker by sleeping in a braid or cinnamon bun your hair on top of your head- this will give it some va-va-volume!

Does your hair feel ok?

I had a massive shed due to a head injury and thinned from iii-iv to a i-ii...a little tlc, castor oil and monistat filled in those bald patches- I just have to wait for the baby hairs to gain some length.

justgreen
July 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I gotta say it. Are you there just to decorate his world?

jasper
July 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
There is a lot of room between shoulder length and waist length. If it was me, I would try a less drastic cut, and take it from there.

It seems like it is Hubby, not you, who is in favor of the big crop. :confused:

Carolyn
July 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
There are lots of us who are over 40 and 50 here with waist length hair. I'm glad to hear you are going to get your hormones checked. That's a good place to start. Next STOP talking about hair with your dh. It's your hair, not his. Do what makes YOU happy.

Alun
July 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Don't do it!!!

I've had thin hair all my life and have managed to grow it to my waist, and I'm on the wrong side of 50 here. If I listened to people who said you can't grow thin hair long ... but then some would say I never listen to anyone anyway, LOL!

As for it getting thinner/hormonal issues, I'm a male, so I don't have much idea. DW is approaching menopause, or so she says, and her hair seems to be getting shorter, but she trims it herself. Personally, I suspect she is taking too much off, but I'm not sure if I should risk say anything like that to her! (ETA: It could be growing slower, so probably she should trim less off than she is used to doing)

GRU
July 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Check out this thread for more like-minded folks:

My biggest peeve: mandatory hair cuts for women over 40 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51086)

Oh, and I'm 41yo, and you can see my length in my signature picture...

Charli_Lee
July 16th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi there, I would never tell anyone to cut off their hair just because they are of a certain age. I think we should all do what makes us happy, whatever age we happen to be.

If you choose to cut or trim and that makes you happy, that is your choice, but it should be your choice alone. :)

I hope you do what makes you happy.

EdG
July 16th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I don't think one should expect to have thick ends, particularly beyond waist-length. Everyone's hair has taper; some taper faster than others. I've been a non-trimmer for the past five years and my hair tapers down to nothing.

"We're not here to decorate your world!" is a battle cry on this board. It's true - you get to wear your hair the way you like. :)
Ed

little_cherry
July 16th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I don't think one should expect to have thick ends, particularly beyond waist-length. Everyone's hair has taper; some taper faster than others. I've been a non-trimmer for the past five years and my hair tapers down to nothing.

"We're not here to decorate your world!" is a battle cry on this board. It's true - you get to wear your hair the way you like. :)
Ed
Awesome post! Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

tanya222
July 17th, 2010, 12:11 AM
You might want to look into taking supplemental silica. It's found in the health food stores. I only stopped buying it as I can't afford it right now, but it is great for encouraging healthy hair and nail growth.

And if I could add my 2c ~~ don't do it!!! Unless it is totally your decision, not someone else's!

ravenreed
July 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I just had a huge shed and lost about a quarter of my volume. I am hoping it grows back, but even if it does not, I am keeping my hair long until I want a change. As long as it looks to to me, that is all that matters. I am sorry your husband is not supportive, but it is not his hair.

My mom cut her hair short because of thinning problems and it still looks thin, even very short. I empathize with your situation because I know how much my mom frets about it. I hope that in your case it is a temporary and fixable issue.

Cupofmilk
July 17th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I am middle aged ish. In December , after bringing my third baby home from NICU, I decided I couldnt' cope with super long hair that had been negelected for sometime and was a tangled mess. So I decided to cut. I should have cut off 6 inches say at most but I cut off 18 inches. I spent my entire time thinking what have I done? It's not going to grow back that fast - I think 4+ years.
So If I were you, My advice would be to have a decent trim - a couple of inches. I know you have done one already but another won't hurt! It has to be enough to make a difference to how you hair looks and may give you a lovely blunt hemline making you hair appear thicker. Then see how you think your hair looks. If you prefer long - well it won't take long to grow back

Elenna
July 17th, 2010, 02:27 AM
There are all sorts of reasons for hair to shed. Hormones may or may not be the cause. I found out that I was suddenly allergic to Sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) found in most shampoos. I figured this out by all the hair that came out using my regular shampoo.

Linainverse
July 17th, 2010, 02:40 AM
My ma is 43, with almost-waist length hair. It grows about an inch or 2 a year, and she rarely cuts it. She has a thyroid condition which has caused loads of shedding in the past, I'm not sure if it's out of laziness, or for the love of her long hair, but she didn't do the big chop. Her thyroid calmed down with a diet change, and the shedding has drastically decreased.

If I were in your position, I wouldn't chop, and I think I may be, because I have been shedding ALOT in the last 6 months - however I haven't noticed it getting thinner, just more baby hairs poking up :)

ButterCream
July 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Seems like he is pressureing you into a chop. But it is YOUR hair!
:deal:<-------it`s in the contract...The hair is attached to YOUR head, you own it ;)

My husband wouldn`t even say something like that to me, it was not nice to say something like that to you:(
He is implying something negative so you aren`t going to be happy about your hair and do as he suggests...
It`s like saying...
"sooo, uhm, with ankles like that maybe you better wear pants all the time...don`t you think?? People with ankles like that should never wear skirts..."

My husband knows I have fine hair and I have a thyroid issue and he still thinks I should grow my hair no matter how long I want it even if it isn`t Rapunzel thickness to it, just because he knows it is what I want...

I say, cut it if you want to cut it, not because of anyone else want you to because they have an idea stuck in their head, even if it is your family. It is called peer pressure...

PS. I am almost 40 now, and have decided I am doing things like this for myself, not for anyone else, wether it is weight, hair or makeup..

I am my own person, nobody owns me OR my hair...
Hopefully you feel that too.

Good luck with everything, wish you the best:)

Annalouise
July 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Wow, so many great replies! They made me laugh too. Now that I think about it, this is typical hubby behavior. In fact, when we go shopping together he practically forces me to buy things that he likes! For instance the other day he told me to buy x wallet. I said I didn't really know if it was what I wanted and he said "I'm just going to go and buy it for you because this is the wallet you need."

Hahaha, and he likes to pick out my clothes too. So there you go! I need to realize that he does that and I should ignore him.

Anyways, I do like my hair long and I'm not going to cut it. Honestly, I would probably regret it.

Thank you all for your support!:) Yeah! for long hair!

Little Cherry -Yes, my hair feels ok it just falls out alot. I'm sorry to hear about your injury and shedding. I'm glad it's coming back in.

Alun -Thats good to know! I think I trim too much too because I'm trying to make it look thicker by having an even hemline.

Ed- I think you're right. How do you not get split ends if you don't trim?

Tanya -I will. I've also read that zinc is important for hair. I've considered taking a supplement for hair but I haven't researched it enough to know which ones are effective.

MsBubbles
July 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Just wanted to add...I started my long hair journey when I was 40!

Annalouise
July 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Ravenreed- I hope its only temporary too. Its been going on for at least a month now.

Cupofmilk - The trimming to make the hemline look thicker is not giving me the appearance of having thick hair. This is what I've realized. My hair looks thin because there is spaces or gaps in it. Do you know what I mean?
So I was thinking if I had layers maybe it would fill in the 'gaps' so to speak, but then it would be really thin at the bottom if I had layers.
Either way, its thin hair.

Elenna- I am senstive to soap also and it does make me shed more, but this time I think its health related because it started massively shedding when I was doing water only. I quit doing water only and its still shedding. :(

Buttercream- You're a funny one. I get what you mean about the judgement. I think hubby compares my hair to his hispanic people (I'm scandinavian) who have long straight thick hair and feels that my hair doesn't look good long because its not thick. (The gals in the salon commenting on my hair were also hispanic and they seemed shocked by the thinness). Thats part of being in a different cultural milieu.

Your hubby sounds very supportive.

Linainverse - I hope my shed stops or slows down too. I have some baby hairs too so I know its growing.

EdG
July 17th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Ed- I think you're right. How do you not get split ends if you don't trim?It's genetics - my hair doesn't split. The ends of my longest strands tend to break off rather than split. Shorter strands will reach terminal and naturally shed out without splitting.

There was a recent thread about split ends and trimming. A small fraction of LHCers don't get split ends in spite of not trimming. We're lucky - most people had to trim.
Ed

embee
July 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I'm in my late 60s and my hair is thin. It's always been thin, even when I was 20. If I cut it short it would *still* be thin. And short. And fine. And straight. And not "pretty". That's what I was dealt.

It's your hair. Your choice. But remember that it takes years to grow back. Short is expensive and time consuming to keep looking nice.

Annalouise
July 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM
So if you don't mind my asking, how do you wear your hair most days? Do you have bangs or is it all one length?

I'm in my late 60s and my hair is thin. It's always been thin, even when I was 20. If I cut it short it would *still* be thin. And short. And fine. And straight. And not "pretty". That's what I was dealt.

It's your hair. Your choice. But remember that it takes years to grow back. Short is expensive and time consuming to keep looking nice.

Well aren't you a lucky duck! That makes for faster growing hair because you don't have to trim regularily. :)

It's genetics - my hair doesn't split. The ends of my longest strands tend to break off rather than split. Shorter strands will reach terminal and naturally shed out without splitting.

There was a recent thread about split ends and trimming. A small fraction of LHCers don't get split ends in spite of not trimming. We're lucky - most people had to trim.
Ed

share801
July 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
If you don't have damage I would not trim. And I would find a new hairdresser with better manners!

justgreen
July 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Ok, I have a great example of how well a trim can make your hair look. The first pic was taken about three months ago, see how thin the bottom hemline is? The second pic was taken last week, after having 1" cut off in May and another 1" cut off in June of this year.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/justgreen_/001-7.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/justgreen_/LHC/001-61.jpg

ETA: I forgot to mention i'm almost 54 years old. My hair is not perfect, but my 20something hairdresser covets my hair and she has gorgeous hair. She has learned a couple of things from me on how to get her hair to grow. Before I found her last year, I hadn't had a hair cut or trim in over two years.

embee
July 17th, 2010, 06:25 PM
So if you don't mind my asking, how do you wear your hair most days? Do you have bangs or is it all one length?

Most days, an Orchid Bun. No bangs, they *finally* grew out! No layers, they just trim away what little thickness I might have. Fairytale ends for ease of bun-making. Sometimes I do something a bit different with the hairstick, like a Gibralter or Equilibrium.

I have a pair of black-and-brown MeiFa sticks, bought when my hair was short - earlobe length - because I had dreams and plans for Long Hair! :) Also have one brown hairstick, one old green pen shaped like a snake, and I'm getting a new blackish hairstick. A *mountain* of those "bow barrettes" that were popular a decade or so ago... in great colors to go with my clothes. Now they don't have to hold up my hair, they're just decorative, and never seem to catch or pull anything. A couple of tortoise-shell colored plastic slides. Two brown hairforks: one plain, one from DD which has a fancy carved top to it.

It's funny, if the part is moved (center or side) the whole look is changed, but basically it's "mean librarian lady bun" for me. ;) At first I hated it, now I love it. Dangly earrings are great fun, and not worth a darn when hair is loose. My hair is out of my face, off my neck, which is just fine.

I've never been as satisfied with my hair as I am now. :)

ravenreed
July 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Actually, I am happier with my hair at 40 than I ever was previously. It might not be as thick as when I was a youngster, but I have finally stopped fighting it and found what works.

Most days, an Orchid Bun. No bangs, they *finally* grew out! No layers, they just trim away what little thickness I might have. Fairytale ends for ease of bun-making. Sometimes I do something a bit different with the hairstick, like a Gibralter or Equilibrium.

I have a pair of black-and-brown MeiFa sticks, bought when my hair was short - earlobe length - because I had dreams and plans for Long Hair! :) Also have one brown hairstick, one old green pen shaped like a snake, and I'm getting a new blackish hairstick. A *mountain* of those "bow barrettes" that were popular a decade or so ago... in great colors to go with my clothes. Now they don't have to hold up my hair, they're just decorative, and never seem to catch or pull anything. A couple of tortoise-shell colored plastic slides. Two brown hairforks: one plain, one from DD which has a fancy carved top to it.

It's funny, if the part is moved (center or side) the whole look is changed, but basically it's "mean librarian lady bun" for me. ;) At first I hated it, now I love it. Dangly earrings are great fun, and not worth a darn when hair is loose. My hair is out of my face, off my neck, which is just fine.

I've never been as satisfied with my hair as I am now. :)

GRU
July 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Actually, I am happier with my hair at 40 than I ever was previously. It might not be as thick as when I was a youngster, but I have finally stopped fighting it and found what works.

^^^^^^^ This, definitely!

Alun
July 18th, 2010, 12:10 AM
My mom cut her hair short because of thinning problemsand it still looks thin, even very short.

We have a winner! There's your best reason not to cut, right there!

Annalouise
July 18th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks again everyone, I'm convinced. Cutting my hair would be a big mistake. :)

ETA:

JustGreen- it looks thicker after the trim, but the fairy ends look nice too. I like both. But you have thick hair, no fair..lol

Xandergrammy
July 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I just wanted to chime in that I didn't even start growing my hair again until I was 40. I'm almost 55 now and don't see myself getting a haircut any time soon. Do what feels right for you. :flowers:

Annalouise
July 18th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Xandergrammy- you have amazing hair. It looks very healthy.

Autumnberry
July 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Annalouise, I am going through the same thing. I have been growing a couple of years , am at BSL and have been wondering if my hair would look better at shoulder length.

One thing that contributed to considering a cut is that I had gone back (for just a couple of weeks) to using a conditioner with cones after being cone-free for a couple of years. My extra fine and thin hair began to look extra straggly from the cones. I recently clarified with a strong shampoo and went back to cone-free conditioners (like Suave Naturals), and my hair looks much better. (I still haven't made up my mind on cutting.) My point in saying this is that sometimes a change in routine can improve the hair enough to give you a different perspective. Give yourself plenty of time to think about this, and perhaps rethinking your routine may bring about something good. Best of luck to you!

Annalouise
July 18th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Autumnberry - I love the forest in your picture, sooo pretty.
I switched shampoo & conditioner lately to dessert essence organics fragrance free, gluten free shampoo and conditioner and of course it has no silicones either. It is actually pretty good for my hair. I'm impressed.
My hair is not getting tangly and I can brush it quite easily.

So I think you're right about the silicones.

Pixna
July 18th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I totally agree with Autumnberry -- the right products can make a dramatic difference in how our hair appears, including its health, thickness, shine, smoothness, etc. When I've used the wrong products, my hair can seem thin and straggly. When I switch to products that are better suited to me, my hair is suddenly thick and bouncy.

Don't do anything drastic (like cutting) until you've exhausted every other possibility. When I was going through menopause (well, right afterward), I had a meltdown and cut my hair (into a pixie!!!). I have been trying to grow it back ever since then. My advice: DON'T DO IT!!! As we get older, we don't have "the rest of our lives" ahead of us to grow it back. Growing it long again will be torturous -- as I know from personal experience. If your hair is bothering you, try different products, get some beautiful hair toys, and put it up for a while (or all the time). Find ways to discover your hair's beauty and what products bring that out. That's a whole lot less drastic and traumatic than a cut.

KahlanAmnell
July 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Just wanted to chime in as well... Some of the prettiest hair I have seen is on ladies with completely gray hair well in their 70s. So, I don't think being a certain age should restrict what length your hair is. As far as thickness, as long as it looks cared for, that's what people will notice is the health. I think shorter hair is aging in a lot of women anyway, having hair fall around your face softens it. Just keep at it. :-)

heidihug
July 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM
The only thing I have to say is - when did 40 become "middle-aged"!?!?! :)

Pixna
July 19th, 2010, 03:16 PM
The only thing I have to say is - when did 40 become "middle-aged"!?!?! :)

Well, dang! That's a darned good question!!! :D

GRU
July 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Haven't they heard? 40 is the new 20! :lol:

bgarrison
July 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I am _so_ in this boat right now. Shedding massively, dry itchy scalp, feel like my hair never ever even looks good so why not cut? I do hate to be such a downer, I'm just incredibly discouraged. :(

Annalouise
July 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Hi Pixna, I think you're right. I'd hate to make a big change and then regret it. And trying new hair products seems like a good compromise.

Hi KahlanAmnell- thats true about short hair. However, I think having thin hair can make you look old too. Because I equate hair falling out with poor health.

Hi Heidihug, if I live to be 80 I'll be pretty happy.

Hi GRU, You're very optimistic.:)

Annalouise
July 20th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I think the long hair goals can be challenging for those of us who have fine thin hair when our hair doesn't look great.
I like the suggestion of others here to try different products and or hair accessories. My biggest pet peeve is that when I put my hair back my thin fine hair has no body against my head and makes me look sort of plain. Its hard to explain. I thought maybe bangs would give me some added interest around the face.
I might have to do some sort of face framing thing down the road. Either that, or find a way to fluff up the hair around my face so it doesn't lie slick against my head.

I think there is probably a way we can improve our overall look without cutting of the majority of our hair.

I know my hair gets body and fluffiness when I shampoo it, but shampooing it often dries it out. It gets oily on day 2-3 and then it just slicks against my head and not very pretty.

The length looks good when I don't wash it often.

You know what works well for me is hats. maybe I should just go buy some cool hats! Yeah, thats a good idea. And, some nice scarves. I was thinking of tying a scarf around my head, like a headband, to give it some interest on the top of my head.

Do you have any ideas of ways to make your hairstyle look better?

I am _so_ in this boat right now. Shedding massively, dry itchy scalp, feel like my hair never ever even looks good so why not cut? I do hate to be such a downer, I'm just incredibly discouraged. :(

Demetrue
July 20th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Wow - I was pregnant when I was 40 - I never thought of myself as old or middle-aged! My grandmother had snow white hair down to her knees when she was 93. She always kept it up during the day, though, and put it in a braid to sleep at night. I decided to grow my hair long again in my late 40's - hope to hit bsl by the time I'm 50!

Demetrue
July 20th, 2010, 08:16 AM
My friend, who just turned 48 (I consider her a youngster!) deals with fine, thin hair by doing a pouf with her hair in front and clipping it with a barrette before she does any updos - it gives the front of her hair the look of body and volume around her face. My grandmother often tied a colorful silk scarf around her head, kind of like a head band, before doing her updos - very stylish and elegant look.

kristymarie87
July 20th, 2010, 08:18 AM
After checking you health, and diet (which can affect hair) a good inch or so off can really make a differance! Go for mor blunt ends and maintain the ends by triming for a while, you may find it thickens up. Take so vitamin bs and biotin. Folic acid can help to and care for your hair the best way possible!

Check out your genetics, at you age, did your parents have the same problem? It may be inevitable.

Annalouise
July 22nd, 2010, 07:08 AM
That's a really good idea. I need to try that. :) You're lucky to be pregnant at 40!

My friend, who just turned 48 (I consider her a youngster!) deals with fine, thin hair by doing a pouf with her hair in front and clipping it with a barrette before she does any updos - it gives the front of her hair the look of body and volume around her face. My grandmother often tied a colorful silk scarf around her head, kind of like a head band, before doing her updos - very stylish and elegant look.

Hi Kristymarie, both my parents have thinning hair.
I do need to take vitamins. I know I'm deficient on folic acid so thanks for reminding me. And I NEED to change my diet so badly (due to chronic pain). I'm just not looking forward to it.
I am doing as you advised and doing regular trims to make my hair look the healthiest. :)

After checking you health, and diet (which can affect hair) a good inch or so off can really make a differance! Go for mor blunt ends and maintain the ends by triming for a while, you may find it thickens up. Take so vitamin bs and biotin. Folic acid can help to and care for your hair the best way possible!

Check out your genetics, at you age, did your parents have the same problem? It may be inevitable.

akrasia
July 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Annalouise,

I can definitely identify with your post. I'm 39 and recently had a little crisis about my own fine and thin hair, which was getting all scraggly and SCUZZY. I ended up having it trimmed from waist to just below BSL. It still feels long and it's got a little more bounce now.

I know JUST what you mean about the plain hairstyles. I don't know: it's like when I was 30 I could just have a simple ballet bun and it would look stylish in a minimalist sort of way. But having that same bun with an ageing face and greying hair? I don't know--it just feels different. Severe, and uninteresting. So I've been experimenting with hairbands and barrettes.

Have you considered a henna treatment? That might give you a boost.

Sunsailing
July 22nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
....I also started taking 7500 mg. of biotin.

I believe she meant 7500 mcg (micrograms), not 7500 mg. (1000 mcg = 1 mg)
The recommended adult dosage of biotin is 30-100 mcg.
7500 mg would be 7,500,000 mcg! :poot:

It's difficult to overdose on biotin because it is water soluable, but it can happen.

( As a reference, GNC's UltraNourishHair has 1200 mcg of biotin.)

If you take extreme amounts of biotin (5 mg +), make sure your doctor is aware of it.

Annalouise
July 22nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Exactly! That is exactly my feelings. When I was young and had no wrinkles and had a better figure I could pretty much wear my hair anyhow, but now, I'm showing signs of aging and my hair is thinning and I've got to make some EFFORT to look my best. And that might mean having a different style.

I am really playing with the idea of having bangs and trimming my hair again to bsl. (bangs to soften the face, and bsl to make it look thicker).

My hair is currently between bsl and waist and the problem is this. Its all one length, and its thin. So when I wear it down it hangs there with gaps in it. (my hair is not thick enough to form a solid curtain). I just can't help but feel like this is not a great look. And when I pull it back it looks a bit unforgiving.

If I brush it a lot it looks fuller. (That could be key to me being happy with it).

I hennaed my hair about 15 years ago and it turned quite orange. I won't do that again. Sometimes I'll do an herbal mask on my hair and it makes it feel thicker and it gives it that wonderful straw smell. (I love the way henna smells).

I plan on getting some nice scarves and experimenting with them as headbands. I've been looking for nice scarves for some time but I haven't seen any.

I wear hats a lot and I like the instant style or character they bring. I'll have to wait and see if I can tolerate my long thin one length hair.

This months vogue magazine features a model in the editorial pages that has tailbone length straight hair! Wow! That is really cool. You don't see that too often. However, her hair is not thin like ours.

Hi Annalouise,

I can definitely identify with your post. I'm 39 and recently had a little crisis about my own fine and thin hair, which was getting all scraggly and SCUZZY. I ended up having it trimmed from waist to just below BSL. It still feels long and it's got a little more bounce now.

I know JUST what you mean about the plain hairstyles. I don't know: it's like when I was 30 I could just have a simple ballet bun and it would look stylish in a minimalist sort of way. But having that same bun with an ageing face and greying hair? I don't know--it just feels different. Severe, and uninteresting. So I've been experimenting with hairbands and barrettes.

Have you considered a henna treatment? That might give you a boost.