PDA

View Full Version : Halo Prevention

littlebabywulf
May 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
What's the best way to prevent a halo? I realized that my sloppy up hairstyle was being mean when I was getting some "new" baby hairs around my hairline, so I stopped using it.

My hair dries stupid without a hair dryer. So, I usually style my hair when it's wet. Right now, I've just been pulling it into a low ponytail, then twisting it up and clipping it with a Ficcare. Is this hair friendly?

I've also ordered some Quattro titanium hair sticks that I'm excited to try. I normally use a pen in my hair, but I've decided that's bad when I realized it made an icky noise when I started to put one in recently.

Normally when I do this, I take my hair when it's wet, and pull it into a ponytail. Instead of putting it in a hair tie, I twist it and then wrap it around. I've never done a bun, so I assume that's sort of the starting point. Then I would take my pen and go up through the bun from the bottom, and once it's through turn it and put it back through my hair going down.

Is that hair friendly? :) I'm still learning these things. I will say that I rarely (less than once a month) dry my hair, and it's been in so much nicer shape without being dried for a year. But it still air dries stupid. :)

Patrycja
May 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
LOL when I saw the title-I thought Halo the game?

Why prevent that? LOL

I'm sorry,I have no advice for you but I am wondering about that same thing.

Riot Crrl
May 15th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I have it too. I think everyone does to some extent, because no one has hair follicles that are all on the same cycle (it would not be fun if we did lol) so everyone has some new growth that's shorter than the rest.

All you can do is minimize breakage. Your styles sound good to me, but a smooth stick will be better than a pen. Make sure to insert and remove the Ficcare as gently as possible.

MeganS
May 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I've mentioned this recently in another thread, but I've had luck reducing it (though not entirely banishing it) by coating a paper towel with gel and resting it on the top of my head. This way, it catches the little hairs in the halo without having to drench the top of your head in product.

jojo
May 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
putting mine all back, when wet with a little AVG helps with mine

frizzinator
May 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Styling when wet can break hairs, especially if you are twisting it. I'm trying to notice every time I break hair. Some of it cannot be helped, such as breaking hair when gently fingercombing ...starting at the bottom and working up to the scalp.

The list of things which may cause breakage, and the resulting halo is endless: processing it with chemicals, hair styling appliances, wearing it down, sleeping, combing, brushing, not keeping it moisturized and thoughtless insertion and removal of pins and hairtoys.

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I have no idea how to prevent this other than aloe gel or something.
I played soccer for 11 years and live in a place where it is about 99% humidity constantly. I had 11 years of a curly halo around a ponytail. Haha.

Teacherbear
May 15th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I mist my hair with a mixtured of distilled water and a small squirt of my leave in conditioner. It helps tame my halo. Otherwise, I've learned a really good :shrug: shrug of my shoulders and say, "yeah, it gets kind of scary doesn't it?!"

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I mist my hair with a mixtured of distilled water and a small squirt of my leave in conditioner. It helps tame my halo. Otherwise, I've learned a really good :shrug: shrug of my shoulders and say, "yeah, it gets kind of scary doesn't it?!"

hehe. At lease my soccer-playing gave me an excuse to just be a blur. That way most people didn't get to see the halo. :p

lady G
May 16th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I smooth on a little bit of vo5 gel wax it smoothes the hiar and eliminates halos

littlebabywulf
May 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
My mouse does weird things, so I'm sorry if I posted something random. :o

I've used aloe vera gel to help with frizzies, but I hadn't thought about using it to smooth down the halo. Thanks for that tip.

Will it also help prevent the hair from breaking and causing more of a halo?

MadPirateBippy
May 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
For me, the biggest change I made was to stop using rubber bands, use hosery bands instead and only a few times a month, switch to using hair sticks, and get a silk pillowcase.

HTH's.

Anje
May 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM
My halo got quite a bit of help when I stopped doing any styles that started with a ponytail, because even with gentle elastics I had a lot of breakage.

I still have plenty of halo (especially the temple tufts that don't seem to grow longer than about 3 inches), but it's much more manageable now.

Curlsgirl
May 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't mind if those baby hairs wouldn't stick STRAIGHT UP but some do inevitably no matter what I do. When I had bangs I didn't notice them but now it's pretty bad. I am just trying to overlook them.:shrug:

Nynaeve
May 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
My halo got quite a bit of help when I stopped doing any styles that started with a ponytail, because even with gentle elastics I had a lot of breakage.

I still have plenty of halo (especially the temple tufts that don't seem to grow longer than about 3 inches), but it's much more manageable now.

Yeah, I've tried to stop using ponytail ties altogether because they caused so much damage. I still have hairs that are around that length that stick out, though. I' hoping it's just those old ponytail halo bits growing out, thought it does seem to be more of a natural long bang. :(

Islandgrrl
May 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
My halo got quite a bit of help when I stopped doing any styles that started with a ponytail, because even with gentle elastics I had a lot of breakage. .

I have to agree with this. My halo is better since quitting using ponytails / elastics. But of course, I still have baby hairs coming in all over the place just like everyone else.

Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray seems to knock them down a bit, though.

littlebabywulf
May 22nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
What does everyone do when working out? I don't do ponytails because they drive me nuts, what with their bouncing around and all. I don't imagine it's good for preventing breakage, either. Instead, I pull it into a pony tail, and as I go around the 2nd time with the hair tie I only pull it half through, and do the same thing again. So it ends up sloppy looking, but it's nice and cool. And not bouncy. Any other suggestions?