PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth envy

natorade
July 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I am so jealous of my mom and her hair. In Oct 08 my mom went to a salon to get her hair cut in long layers, at the time her hair was close to her waist. Well, the hair dresser messed up big time and my moms hair ended up to her shoulders. Mom just pretty much kept it in a pony or hair clip cause she does nothing with her hair. Yesterday she took her hair down and it is at her waist again. How can she get so much growth in less than 2 years and I can barely get mine to gow?

TinaDenali
July 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Peoples rate of growth can be drastically different. I chopped my hair to chin length in August of '08 and the length is now touching waist, so just under two years. (I have pictures in my album).

And my mom, wow her hair grows about twice as fast as mine. But, my grandma's hair (and she isn't old, she's just barley into her 60's) grows painfully slow, and it always has. It grows a scant few inches a year, if that. She only has to get it cut once, sometimes twice a year to maintain her look. And, she's pretty gentle with it. She lets it air dry and only dyes it as needed - just a few times a year. My mom, however, blow dries, curls, straightens, hair-sprays, high lights, and washes every day with a SLS shampoo. She puts her hair through hell and it still grows like a weed.

So, just goes to show that our hair will do what it will do and our outside influence can only change it so very slightly.

Roseate
July 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I get hair growth envy on this board all the time! My hair grows at a resolutely average pace of 1/2" a month, no matter what I do. But there are some lucky folks here whose progress threads knock me out! That will never be me.

Rennire
July 16th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Arg! One of my friends has hair like that. She cuts it all the time and then I don't see her for a little while and *Poof* her hair is long again. I swear there is some kind of magic involved!

triumphator!
July 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Ever thought of using Monistat?

missfortune9335
July 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM
how lucky for your mom! my hair only grows 1/2 per month no matter what (and I'm not complaining since I know that's average and some people don't even get that!) but I sure would loooooove to be to waist in only a couple of years *sigh*

SeaShell
July 16th, 2010, 07:13 PM
a lot of my friends are like that too...I'm always amazed at their growth rates...but hey us slower growers just appreciate the length all the more when we get there!

dropinthebucket
July 17th, 2010, 01:55 PM
i know - i've had less than a half inch a month usually - typical for me is 5 inches/year. pretty discouraging. i'm not setting any goals that will be too far away and too discouraging for me, for that reason. i'm going for APL, and then we'll see. it's only an inch or two away now. maybe, in a year, BSL! :) i have had some encouraging progress, though: i started nightly scalp massage and MSM four months ago, and i've had half an inch/month since - any little bit of extra is awesome! and i just started biotin and DE - will see if these help it along even more. not gonna take all this stuff forever - just wanna get to a certain length, and then maintain! :)

jera
July 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe you take after your Dad's side of the family when it comes to hair growth rate? I understand how you feel because I envy all these people whose hair, effortlessly, seems to grow so much faster than mine. :rolleyes: But I had a growth spurt last winter where my hair seemed to grow three inches in a month, so I'm just going to continue my healthy hair regime, my hair vitamins and not sweat out how fast or slow it seems to grow. Everyone's hair is different. :)

jaine
July 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM
It might be growing at a very similar rate but you didn't pay as much attention to her hair, so hers seemed suddenly longer. Plus if I remeber correctly from your other posts, you had a trim to remove some color damage...it sounds like she didn't trim at all...that would also make a difference in the perceived speed of growth even if yours is growing at the same rate.

Dolly
July 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Biotin can help increase your growing rate.....do a search...there are a number of threads on here about it.....

Pear Martini
July 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Yes, try biotin. It works wonders. Mine just arrived in the mail, I buy the sublingual kind... tastes like berries.

It also makes my body hair and eyebrows grow faster so I have to do a lot more plucking and shaving but its worth it!

Oh yeah, and I need to trim my nails twice a week to keep them short!

SlightlySoprano
July 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Just to be devils advocate for a moment:

Grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side...

My mom's hair grows like weed, which also means she has to pay for her root touch ups more often! Faster growing hair = more expensive when you color it!

HikerTrash
July 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Just to be pedantic, all of us grow hair effortlessly. :)

Natorade you might be jealous of people whose hair grows faster, but you appear blessed to have hair that appears long even when it's short. Don't know if that makes sense, but if my hair was as short as your avatar, it would not have all that bounce, curl and personality.

trillcat
July 17th, 2010, 06:30 PM

Natorade you might be jealous of people whose hair grows faster, but you appear blessed to have hair that appears long even when it's short. Don't know if that makes sense, but if my hair was as short as your avatar, it would not have all that bounce, curl and personality.
I did not think my hair grew fast, til I bleached it beach barbie blonde again. When did my hair star growing so fast I can see roots after a week??
Well it always grew this fast now I can see it .
For the growth in two years, a foot of growth, that is about right.

cm006j
July 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM

A few years ago I said to my mother that I was working hard at growing my hair long. She gave me a strange look and said she didn't understand how someone could work at growing hair. She had a good point. I put a lot of energy into taking care of it and trying to give it good conditions, but it does its own growing.

Joliebaby
July 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
People always comment on how fast my hair grows. I think it's partly because I don't cut and trim all the time. I do get more than the average, but it also helps to have healthy hair you don't have to trim, and not maintaining a "style".
What gets me though sometimes is that some people are almost at waist with 27" hair, and I'm just upper bsl!! Like six more inches to waist!! :D

McFearless
July 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I know what you mean. My hair grows so slowly. I cry when I get an inch after a couple of months. *sigh*

Anyway screw hair, you are gorgeous!

Iron0Maiden
July 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
My friend dyes her hair, bleaches it, straightens it, and blowdries her hair ALL the time and hers grows faster than me! Its really not fair :confused: